Old August 13, 2001, 21:31   #1
java4me
Warlord

Local Time: 04:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How are Nuclear Weapons going to be applied in Civ3?
I am wondering how nuclear weapons are going to be applied in civ3. Right now there are ICBM's and regular atom bombs. But what isn't answered is if you can have nuclear silos build in your borders which have one ICBM in each that is targeted to a city or unit. Also, how it is applied if one person launches all his at you, which allows you to decide if you want to counter attack him. So, if FIRAXIS could clarify on nuclear weapons, that would be great!!!
Old August 13, 2001, 21:41   #2
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:28
Quote:
Right now there are ICBM's and regular atom bombs.
How'd you find that out?

There hasn't been any confirmation on whether or not MAD will be included. There is a thread right now discussin MAD, go there for some more info on the ideas for MAD (several threads have been made about MAD before).

The only thing Firaxis has stated about nuclear warfare is that it is a much improved system, they said that awhile back.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 13, 2001, 21:47   #3
Lord Magnus
Warlord

Local Time: 05:28
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
(several threads have been made about MAD before).
Yet Firaxis advoided them all
Old August 13, 2001, 22:03   #4
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 22:28
How are Nuclear Weapons going to be applied in Civ3?
Like this:

*BOOM*

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old August 13, 2001, 23:26   #5
java4me
Warlord

If you look back at old threads from a long time ago, FIRAXIS stated that there were ICBM's in the game. But I didn't find out if there were going to be silo's in the game. That is why I brought up this thread. But you know, they haven't said much on modern days yet!!!

So they should confirm on M.A.D. pretty soon.

Also they should show a photo of a nuclear blast!!!
Old August 14, 2001, 00:48   #6
genghisvick
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:28
I hope it is a realistic system. Civ II's system sucked!
Old August 14, 2001, 01:55   #7
tniem
King

It looks like with their Integrated Defense tech at the end of the game you will be able to build a huge Star Wars system. So much for realism.
Old August 14, 2001, 03:06   #8
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:28
From the old PC GamePlay/GameSpot UK preview:

Quote:
"There are two types of nuclear weapon," says Briggs. "We have ICBMs that can hit anything on the map and tactical nukes which can be put on submarines and launched as cruise missiles. If you think that you can have a war and launch tactical nukes without it escalating to anything more serious you can try it, but it's a challenge in the game just to survive that whole era.

"The nuclear war part of the game should be (and this is something that we're working on) something that you come to and pass through. In Civ II it's sort of the end point. When you get nukes, everybody gets nukes and the game is pretty much over. In this game, if you're the first person to get them then you will have an opportunity to benefit, but once everybody else gets them it's unlikely that you can use them and have a successful game."
It does sound like some sort of MAD mechanism will be in place...
Old August 14, 2001, 15:28   #9
Col Bigspear
Warlord

Location: Manchester, England. Im 1/2 Polish and proud of it!
Look in the "Firaxis im M.A.D" thread.
It will take 2 turns for a nuke to hit home, so you will be able to launch a counter strike before you go BOOM. Its been a few days since I read it so I don't know if this only applies to ICBM's. If not you might be able to use Sub mounted Nukes as a first strike weapon that hit on the same turn. Thought this could lead to people only using Sub's with Nukes

Dan a little Help Plz.
Old August 14, 2001, 15:35   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

under Fission is not a NUCLEAR BOMB. ITS A SUBMARINE.

thank you and goodbye.
Old August 14, 2001, 15:58   #11
Col Bigspear
Warlord

Well, yes what super power still uses Diesel subs?
In the tech tree modern pic from gamespot under Fission there are two pictures. The first looks like a sub on a white background. But the second looks like an Atom Bomb on a green background.

Last edited by Col Bigspear; August 14, 2001 at 16:13.
Old August 14, 2001, 16:01   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

that means a wonder bro. a minor, the manhattan project.

all units are on white bgs. all buildings are on green / desert / water
Old August 14, 2001, 16:40   #13
Col Bigspear
Warlord

Only time will tell I suppose.
Anyhow, the reason I said Sub mounted Nuke was because of this "tactical nukes which can be put on submarines and launched as cruise missiles" from the quote in Snapcase's message.
Old August 14, 2001, 16:56   #14
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

While on the subject, what will the consequences of nuclear war be? will the fallout just be treated as 'normal pullution' like in civ2, will there be more realistic results? how will global warming happen? Hopefully not just randomizing the map tiles like in civ2 or just simply raising the water levels like in SMAC.
Old August 14, 2001, 17:00   #15
java4me
Warlord

But, my question is, is there going to be nuclear silo's where you could launch ICBM's from?
Old August 14, 2001, 17:00   #16
korn469
Emperor

Col Bigspear

Quote:
Look in the "Firaxis im M.A.D" thread.
It will take 2 turns for a nuke to hit home, so you will be able to launch a counter strike before you go BOOM.
i have followed the development of civ3 closely, and i never remember a member of firaxis nor a preview saying it would take two turns for a nuke to hit, could you please provide a link for that?

also...that would be very open to abuse, ICBMs would always hit empty cities because only a braindead AI would leave their units in a city that was about to get hit by a nuke when they would have time to move those units to safety...so i seriously hope that firaxis doesn't implement M.A.D. like that...plus why in the world should it takes ICBMs an entire year to travel to their target, when in real life it takes less than an hour...this is just too outrageous to suspend disbelief over
Old August 14, 2001, 17:21   #17
java4me
Warlord

I think that FIRAXIS should explain how nuclear weapons are going to work in greater detail!!!
Old August 14, 2001, 18:37   #18
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

w00t w00t.

but FIRAXIS hates me.
Old August 14, 2001, 18:39   #19
nebuchadnezzar
Settler

perhaps the game switches into real time mode and you see the missile arc across the sky as you desperately try to take the population off the city tiles, change them into malcontent entertainers in daper baby blue suits and finish that mass transit you started 14 turns ago
Old August 14, 2001, 18:43   #20
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:28
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
under Fission is not a NUCLEAR BOMB. ITS A SUBMARINE.

thank you and goodbye.
Actually smartarse, there is a submarine and a nuclear bomb. The picture seems to depict a picture of a device being dropped from a plane. I speculated that in the initial phases of nuclear weaponry that you have to deliver the things on bombers, until you acquire more sophisticated delivery systems, eg, cruise missles, SLBM, ICBM or whatever...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 14, 2001, 18:48   #21
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

actually knob slobber, all units are on white backgrounds.

and all structures are on grass or sand or water.

i said that like 80 times people.

look at alllllllllll the screenshots.

and tell me what the manhattan project is, if that is indeed a unit.

and to counter the "why does the manhattan project look like a bomb" post i see comming, look @ civ2's rendering of it.

Last edited by Inverse Icarus; August 14, 2001 at 18:55.
Old August 14, 2001, 18:54   #22
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

here. save u time.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knobslobber.gif
Views:	309
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	1804  
Old August 14, 2001, 19:01   #23
Col Bigspear
Warlord

I have read it somewhere, I've got about 8 windows open searching every site I've been on in the last few says. I WILL FIND IT.

As for Nukes, I wonder if they are like in The Operational Art Of War. In that if you were allowed to use nuclear weapons you first attacked and then a box appeared saying "Do you wish to use Nuclear Weapons. Yes, No". So I was wondering if you attacked with a bomber after you had built the manhattan wonder, you could get a dialogue box with the option to use Nukes?. I personally would like that.
Old August 14, 2001, 19:18   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

thats dumb. i cant see a bomber carrying conventional and nuclear bombs at the same time. if they were doing that you would have to chose at unit building time (like ss modules)
Old August 14, 2001, 19:32   #25
vonManstein
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Col Bigspear
Well, yes what super power still uses Diesel subs?.
Canada does.

:cough:
Old August 14, 2001, 19:40   #26
Col Bigspear
Warlord

It would not be carrying both, you would just be defining what it was carrying when it is over the target and bot before it is built. The B-52 is the US's main Nuclear Bomber but it can carry conventional bombs too

Base Commander " Hell Boeing made this model for Conventional bombs, how am I going to Nuke some small defenceless commie country now"
Sheepish Officer " Im sorry sir, I'll have it changed right away"
Base commander " And would it kill you to get one in Pink"

BTW for 2 turn Nukes check here
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=24326

If that did'nt work it's about 2 or 3 pages back in Civ3 general
Governments and Nukes.
Old August 14, 2001, 19:44   #27
korn469
Emperor

vonManstein

he said super power
j/k

Col Bigspear

i am nearly certain that the 2 turn nuke drop is a not a firaxis quote, and that most of what we know about nukes come from the gamespot uk preview...however if you could find a link i'd like to read it...but a 2 turn nuke drop would just be a very flawed implementation of M.A.D.

i agree with UberKruX, under fission there is a wonder/city improvement bomb icon...there aren't any visable missile units under fission, just the nuclear sub...however there are two missile units under space flight, so most likely you'd need to discover fission, build the manhatten project and then discover rocketry and space flight before you could build ICBMs with nuclear warheads...there is also a rocket unit under rocketry, so that could possibly be an early nuclear missile...the short range one described in the preview...

it is possible that Provost Harrison is also correct, that you could build nuclear equipped bombers...we don't know because firaxis hasn't released much information on the subject
Old August 14, 2001, 19:58   #28
korn469
Emperor

Col Bigspear

tech wins said

Quote:
but he said that the nuclear weapons are divided up into 2 sorts, tactical units ala Civ2 and big ICBMs that can hit anywhere on the map.
this is backed up by the gamespot uk preview...but also firaxis still hadn't made up their minds for sure on how the system was going to work

then uffty said
Quote:
I was told the same....
MAD wont be available the way asked for...
After sending a nuke to take effect...it will last two turns for the "victim" to respond with counter-strikes!!
like i said before...the 2 turn nuke theory doesn't have anything to back it, no screen shots, no firaxis comments, no previews...and until i see a little proof i'm not going to believe something that uffty (or any poster) says
Old August 14, 2001, 20:09   #29
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Col Bigspear
It would not be carrying both, you would just be defining what it was carrying when it is over the target and bot before it is built. The B-52 is the US's main Nuclear Bomber but it can carry conventional bombs too
If this where the case all bombers would require uranium and a large production time to make, because they'd all be carrying nuclear weapons.

Not to mention that they'd basically be missles if the nuke damage is anything like civ2.
Old August 14, 2001, 21:04   #30
java4me
Warlord

I think that ICBM's are going to be implanted in the game, but what I don't know is if the ICBM's are going to be launched from a city or from a silo. I want it to be like if say the Germans launch all their ICBM's that an option comes up and asks you if you want to counterattack with your ICBM's or just let the Germans destroy you. I also think that SDI will blow up some of the ICBM's from space satellites which you built just for that purpose. Almost like the system used in SMAC.