Old August 13, 2001, 23:00   #1
TVA22
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Japanese color
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but on the first new picture on the Gamespot site, there is a middle ages asian city barely visible in the top left-hand corner. http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...261-64,00.html
The city shown is green, which may suggest the Japanese are that shade of green, unless the indians use east asian architecture. The way I know it's an asian city is because a while back there was a picture of a french civ, with chinese cities at the very top. Don't know if I'm right, but it might be worth a check. I don't know where that other thread is that is putting civs and colors together, sorry.
Old August 14, 2001, 01:48   #2
tniem
King

Local Time: 07:28
Has it been confirmed that colors are always linked to nation?

I still find that hard to believe in this day and age of computers. Why can't they let you pick the color so that you can be whatever color you want to be? Every other game is now allowing you to do so.
Old August 14, 2001, 02:06   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:28
Re: Japanese color
Quote:
Originally posted by TVA22
I'm not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but on the first new picture on the Gamespot site, there is a middle ages asian city barely visible in the top left-hand corner. http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...261-64,00.html
The city shown is green, which may suggest the Japanese are that shade of green, unless the indians use east asian architecture. The way I know it's an asian city is because a while back there was a picture of a french civ, with chinese cities at the very top. Don't know if I'm right, but it might be worth a check. I don't know where that other thread is that is putting civs and colors together, sorry.
Dunno, but with a name like Bangalore, I suspect it is an Indian city.
Old August 14, 2001, 16:54   #4
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 13:28
I don't think the Japanese are green; the city is Bangalore, we know the Indians are in this game (the leader), the city of Bangalore is in India, and the Indians used the East Asian architecture in Civ 2.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old August 14, 2001, 17:51   #5
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut
and the Indians used the East Asian architecture in Civ 2.
I thought each Civ got their own unique city style?!?
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 14, 2001, 18:45   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think that city says Kagoshima
Old August 14, 2001, 19:08   #7
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

it's Bangalore - I zoomed.
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old August 14, 2001, 21:50   #8
korn469
Emperor

double post...sorry

Last edited by korn469; August 14, 2001 at 22:04.
Old August 14, 2001, 21:51   #9
korn469
Emperor

if you look at the minimap and the borders in the screenshot you see that the japanese are green in this circumstance

also here is a large and better version of that picture from pc.ign

http://pcmedia.ign.com/media/preview...e/civ3_009.jpg

Last edited by korn469; August 14, 2001 at 22:01.
Old August 14, 2001, 22:24   #10
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I believe the indians are green (as shown by bangalore) and the japanese are red.

if you look at the other screenshot ( http://www.gamespydaily.com/screensh...ex.asp?id=3192 ) You'll notice that there are only 7 'green' cities but 8 on the list, which is coincidently, the same number as 'red' cities (though it's possible those 2 cities on the southern side of the green are also red... it's hard to tell)
Old August 14, 2001, 23:18   #11
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I believe the indians are green (as shown by bangalore) and the japanese are red.

if you look at the other screenshot ( http://www.gamespydaily.com/screensh...ex.asp?id=3192 ) You'll notice that there are only 7 'green' cities but 8 on the list, which is coincidently, the same number as 'red' cities (though it's possible those 2 cities on the southern side of the green are also red... it's hard to tell)
Nice catch with the screenshot. Only it proves your point wrong. There are more than 8 cities (see the scrollbar on the left) and of the 8 listed, Bangalore is one of them. The Japanese must have taken it over or caused it to revolt. The Japanese must therefore be green.

Edit: Just noticed this. Notice on the mini-map on the cultural advisor screen. There are crosshairs and an arrow pointing to a city in the green empire which would logically be the selected city (Kyoto).

Last edited by JellyDonut; August 14, 2001 at 23:25.
Old August 14, 2001, 23:58   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Whoops, didn;t notice bangalore was on the list, but perhaps bangalore was captured, if you compare the minimaps, it is almost in the right spot, though I think it's more likely that another city (further to the north east) that has changed hands... so I'm not really sure about that.

and I assume there is actually space for 9 cities to be shown, notice how all of the numbers and names go along a grey line, there is an empty grey line at the bottom (though, this is just an assumption and that grey line could very well be meant to stay empty)

But still, there are more cities listed in the cultural advisor screen then there are green cities on the map. Though, there is a small chance that there is a city underneath the 'crosshair' along the right of the line, where you can see what looks like a bit of the green jutting out into a grey spot, which interestingly enough can be seen on the other map aswell, with no sign of a city either.

It might also be worth while to note that the advisor screen is at an earlier date then the negotiation screen, though I couldn't get any help out of that... except for the fact that bangalore still has 2 culture (I assume that is what the number to the right of the city name means)

any idea what the number before 'Japanese Republic' might mean?

hehe, they should give us new material before we really start over analysing the screenshots.
Old August 15, 2001, 00:26   #13
JellyDonut
Prince

Ignore. Canceled "send" request on original message to add more. Ended up with unfinished and finished versions, so I edited this message to delete the unfinished version.

Last edited by JellyDonut; August 15, 2001 at 00:39.
Old August 15, 2001, 00:36   #14
JellyDonut
Prince

The cultural advisor screen was shot a few turns before the screenshot with Gandhi (look at the dates). By comparing the minimaps, you can see a war raging between green and the brownish-red (as opposed to the lighter red to the south). As for the number of cities, I think there is another city under the arrow. If you look in the minimap (on the smaller version of the screenshot; the larger has a logo embossed over the minimap), you can see where this city is. That would count for 8 cities, like on the advisor screen. I think maybe the Indians are the brownish-red based solely on the position of Bangalore. It is near another brownish-red city on the advisor minimap.

On the info-box in the lower-right corner of the screenshot with Gandhi, it says "708 Japanese Republic." 708 seems a lot for units and low for population, and it can't be culture. That would mean that culture went down in the last few turns and according to Firaxis, this isn't possible. Food or production, maybe.

Old August 15, 2001, 04:05   #15
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It ain't the same game.

In the Ghandi screen shot the the green border extends further to the south east from the hidden city in the centre.

In the Japanese Cultural advisor screen shot there is a city of a different civ to the south east of the only city that could be the *hidden* city. Japanese started losing I guess.

And the geometry of the land mass does not jive between the 2.
Narrow swath of land from the south opening onto a broad plain to the east in Japanese Cultural advisor screen shot vs an almost Central American view of North America (ie Gulf of Mexico) in the Ghandi screen shot.
Old August 15, 2001, 04:27   #16
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Wille- there will be five distinct cultural styles, probably (my guess) divided according to the groups on the Civ Abilities chart.
Old August 15, 2001, 12:35   #17
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
Wille- there will be five distinct cultural styles, probably (my guess) divided according to the groups on the Civ Abilities chart.
That would make sense, wouldn't it? But I fail to envision the American/Aztec/Iroquois architecture (would it just be Aztec/Iroquois in ancient times and American in modern times?) and the Babylonian/Persian/Zulu would have to be a generic ancient architecture (like the Bronze Age style in Civ2). As for the rest, you'd just have old and new European architectures and a general East Asian one.

Old August 16, 2001, 05:30   #18
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:28
I hope I can choose what colour my civ is. Look, I can do that in MoO, which is zillion years old in terms of computer games.