Old August 14, 2001, 01:24   #1
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 20:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI: what can we expect?
I have seen lots of messages complaining about the AI in Civ2, but what should we actually expect from a game AI? Obviously, we can't expect the CIV AI to work as well as the human mind, but is it realistic to expect a better AI than the one in Civ2? Any examples of a better AI from another game?
Old August 14, 2001, 02:49   #2
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 13:28
Sure.

SMAC/X!!
Old August 14, 2001, 03:44   #3
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 21:28
I agree. The AI in SMAC was great and the other leaders were reasonable. I could often convince them to give up a war. I can't remember anyone starting a war with me for no reason except for Yang. Morgan and I then formed an alliance and we coordinated attacks against him. I hope the ability to coordinate attacks is in Civ3. It was one of my favourite things in SMAC. It always ticked me off in Civ2 when an AI leader agreed to go to war with you against an enemy but never actually did anything.
Old August 14, 2001, 04:46   #4
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 07:28
IMHO AI is bound to suck, but Civ 3 has my vote for likely to be "least suckiest."

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 14, 2001, 05:29   #5
Grim Legacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Anatolia
I agree. The AI in SMAC was great and the other leaders were reasonable. I could often convince them to give up a war. I can't remember anyone starting a war with me for no reason except for Yang. Morgan and I then formed an alliance and we coordinated attacks against him. I hope the ability to coordinate attacks is in Civ3. It was one of my favourite things in SMAC. It always ticked me off in Civ2 when an AI leader agreed to go to war with you against an enemy but never actually did anything.
Hmm. My experience is otherwise. The AI in AC was pretty much dependent on the other faction's 'nature'. So that the religious goons would complain about me making money and vice versa. I always seemed to be at odds with the others. There was never an opportunity for reasonable peace, unless I had totally subjected them and they begged for mercy.
But I must admit I haven't played SMAC for years like I have Civ1 and Civ2!
Old August 14, 2001, 06:51   #6
campmajor!
Prince

Well, I guess it's just wait and see on this one.

The only way to know how well the AI is, is to test it by playing....
Old August 14, 2001, 13:41   #7
Mister Pleasant

I'll tell you one thing you can expect - never to see an AI-controlled aircraft carrier.

Old August 14, 2001, 15:49   #8
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd Hawks
Sure.

SMAC/X!!
Todd - I really think they must go beyond SMAC. Dont give them any ideas, that an AI like the on in SMAC is good enough. It isnt.

A big noticeable update, especially on a overall strategical level. At least some AI-civs must be able too keep up with the perfectionist expansionist Civ-veterans out there (= about the same number of cities, city-improvements, terrain-upgrades), and (please) no more destructive internal AI-wars while the human player race ahead. Also, more intelligent use of AI-units when dealing with human player one square away (no more fruitless bashing on impossible targets).
Old August 14, 2001, 15:52   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 07:28
there have been some screenshots where you can see AI cities... and even COLONIES.

so they have some grasp of ATTAINING RESOURCES.

and theres a shot of Ghandi offering 1 gold for Iron. wonder how far they can be talked up to.

(remember iron is an early resource... maybe he's poor)

even in my pessimism, i belive the AI is going to be Competant, which is really all we can hope for.

no AI can even come cloe to a human opponent. admit it now and you'll feel much better. but if the AI can understand the rules and FOLLOW THEM WITHOUT CHEATING. maybe they can be fun to play against.

hey, if u play a game to death (civ 2) you'll always beat the AI. it's just what happens.
Old August 14, 2001, 15:53   #10
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Pleasant
I'll tell you one thing you can expect - never to see an AI-controlled aircraft carrier.
... or more to the point, an AI-controlled aircraft carrier which actually have aircraft on board!

I myself, have experienced the AI using aircraft carriers (they just move them around the map), but NEVER with any aircraft on board them.
Old August 14, 2001, 15:59   #11
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich

... or more to the point, an AI-controlled aircraft carrier which actually have aircraft on board!

I myself, have experienced the AI using aircraft carriers (they just move them around the map), but NEVER with any aircraft on board them.
Awww, c'mon guys, I for one trust Firaxis in the AI issue.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars