Old August 14, 2001, 07:51   #1
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Will we have ability to create MORE techs? MORE units? MORE civs?
What I mean by 'more' is, we currently have 82 techs. Can we create more techs, so that in the end of creative process, we can have, say, 150 techs, all researchable at game? Can we have 5000 techs? Who would play with 5000 techs?

We currently have, uh, set number of units. Can we create more units, so that we can have, say, 150 different unit types? And what about civs?
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old August 14, 2001, 07:58   #2
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:28
I can imagine a use for 5000 techs. But it'd have to be in an alien hive-creature scenario, with science representing the size of your collective conciousness.
Old August 14, 2001, 08:18   #3
BeBro
Emperor

I´m definately for an option to create more techs, units etc, but in the end I don´t think more of them do always lead to more fun with the game. Ther should be a limit that makes sense, a scenario with 5000 techs sounds rather deterring...
Old August 14, 2001, 13:01   #4
tniem
King

Local Time: 07:28
Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
I´m definately for an option to create more techs, units etc, but in the end I don´t think more of them do always lead to more fun with the game. Ther should be a limit that makes sense, a scenario with 5000 techs sounds rather deterring...
Really my main problem with CtP. There were just to much of everything. Hard to decide what you needed. Too much is as worse as not enough. I think they have done a good job of keeping the game focused and intriguing with the slight adjustments they have made to the tech tree.
Old August 18, 2001, 02:42   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:28
Perhaps not 5000 techs that's a bit much However 300 isn't out of the question. Just make the techs finer grained, so each one does less - but also costs less.
Old August 18, 2001, 20:08   #6
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 23:28
I like the idea of making more techs. If there are currently 82 techs, 5000 is just overkill, but we could surely extend the tech tree to 110-120 techs easily without affecting gameplay.

Where I see problems would be if we wanted techs to do things other than just make new units. For example, if we wanted to add a tech for CTP-style "undersea tunnels", can this be done? What about workers that could create improvements at sea? Or the construction of tile improvements at sea in general? Think offshore oil rigs, and oil as a resource in the sea. Or suppose Irrigation, Mining and Roads actually had to be researched, and we had to prohibit their construction until they were available?

The sort of scenario I would create would extend the tech tree in both directions with about 10 techs before Irrigation, Mining and Roads and about 20 techs after the Modern Age.

For early techs, we would have such things as Animal Domestication, Stone Tools, Spear Making, Food Preservation and so on. Despotism would be researchable. For late techs, we could shamelessly loot the CTP tech tree for suitable advanced techs, or invent a few of our own.

Such an extended tech tree would make a huge map more fun to play on because you don't run out of techs before you run out of map. Then you would have a truly epic game that takes many weeks to complete.
Old August 18, 2001, 20:28   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 12:28
Why have limits at all? there is no reason to limit the amount that you can customize the game.

There was no limit in Civ2* so I don't see why there would be in civ3.

Though, I wonder if you will be able to create new buildings and goverments with unique affects, or modify the existing ones, for that matter.

*The editor that they made for the game didn't have the ability to create new units or techs, for some reason you could only modify existing ones. But you could add new ones to the list with the rules.txt, The editor was really pretty useless except when dealing with graphics and sounds.
Old August 19, 2001, 05:06   #8
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

i hope we can make moving cities, i once tried this in CtP, i took a leviathan and added a has_pop_and_can_build flag, like each city has, it didn't work . And i liked those ideas star mouse mentioned, but i think new improvements like undersea tunnels can only be if Firaxis put in some ability like "allows water movement", then you could add this ability to the undersea tunnels.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!