Old August 14, 2001, 13:12   #1
easy
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which civ will you use in Civ3?
Now, every civ is different from each other in their ability, which civ do you prefer to use?
As a builder, not a fighter, I'm very happy to see my country, China, has science and industry ability. I think I will continue to use it. I also used American often in Civ2, but I don't think I'll use it often in Civ3, I've no interesting on expansionist. I'll also try Greek and French.
Which civ will you use? Which civilization's ablitlities have the best effects do you think?

Last edited by easy; August 14, 2001 at 13:26.
Old August 14, 2001, 13:16   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 14:29
I'll also use Chine (from what I know at this current state of time) as I like building up my Civ, and the abilities of China seams perfect for that.
Old August 14, 2001, 13:42   #3
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 06:29
Not all the civs are different in their ablities. The Aztecs and Japanese are both Militaristic/Religious, and the English and Germans are both Commerical/Expansionist. There is no civ that is Militaristic/Scientific.

In all previous civ games, I felt the first turns were very important, although it may be less so since ICS has been hindered by the fact that a settler subtracts 2 from your pop. This makes Expansionist appealing to me, with its two bonuses of better stuff from barb villages and starting out with a scout.

Given this, I think Chinese Scientific/Industrious, and Russians Scientific/Expansionist sound the most appealing without knowing the exact details of the game yet.

However since culture sounds very important, I may also pick the ability along with science that contributes most to culture.
Old August 14, 2001, 13:46   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
Not all the civs are different in their ablities. The Aztecs and Japanese are both Militaristic/Religious, and the English and Germans are both Commerical/Expansionist. There is no civ that is Militaristic/Scientific.
But they have different Units.
Old August 14, 2001, 13:53   #5
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 07:29
Hmm - I'm leaning toward shutting off the "unique" stuff for most of my games but I will definitely try out the various Civs. Which one will I go for first? Depends on whether I feel like building something or smashing something, I guess.
Old August 15, 2001, 10:10   #6
Kropotkin
Emperor

Oh a really intresting question.

My most spontanious answer would be China too. I usually dominated civ2 with a scientifc edge and high production while commercials wasn't of much interest.

But after a while of thinking it gets somewhat more hard. I think that 'industrious' is the ability I'll stick to since faster workers might help out to boast commerical and scientific development. I feel my knowledge in the field of economic history will make me superious!

All the other seems somewhat tempting also though. The only one that I wouldn't want is 'expansionist', the effects seems a bit weak.
Old August 15, 2001, 10:21   #7
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:29
I'll use the Americans regardless of the civ abilities. When I play MP with my brother we will once again argue on who gets to be the Americans. Usually a game of paper, rock, scissors solves that, though.

I'm not really sure what civ I like the most in terms of abilities. Maybe China might be my fav. in that aspect. I like to discover all the techs as soon as possible (just look at my name). Plus I like to have my workers really fast for micromanagement.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 15, 2001, 10:40   #8
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 13:29
I Think I'll opt for Russians, because I like to expand fast early in the game. First because of the goody huts.

Second because when you build several cities, your empire grows, making you less vulnerable than one city only. So making new cities early will create several small cities in stead of some larger ones. No ICS, but a sound strategy though.

Third, when you expand, you'll find your opponents quicker. That obviously provides advantages. Trading tech etc.

And science is also very important as well. All depends on that. If you have better tech, you'll have better soldiers etc.

So the combination of expansionist/scientific does it for me!

But, after playing and actually testing I might have to adjust my opinion...
Old August 15, 2001, 10:43   #9
easy
Chieftain

It looks there are much more builders than fighters.
Old August 15, 2001, 10:47   #10
campmajor!
Prince

Well, first you have to build, than you can fight.

It makes no sense to start a fight when you are still a puny civ.

So first you'll make sure you become more powerful, then you can build an army and smack your opponents!
Old August 15, 2001, 14:57   #11
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 04:29
I will probably go with the Babylonians. With science I have a good "currency" for diplomatic trade so I have a better chance of remaining at peace and the religion gives a higher cultural score so I can dominate the world by absorbing other cultures into my own.

Sounds like a great game for a perfectionist!

John-SJ
Old August 15, 2001, 15:06   #12
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I'll use the Americans regardless of the civ abilities. When I play MP with my brother we will once again argue on who gets to be the Americans. Usually a game of paper, rock, scissors solves that, though.

I'm not really sure what civ I like the most in terms of abilities. Maybe China might be my fav. in that aspect. I like to discover all the techs as soon as possible (just look at my name). Plus I like to have my workers really fast for micromanagement.
Why? Some sort of nationalistic tendencies? I never play as the Americans in CIv2 and I like to edit the rules.txt to replace them with a real civilisation like the Iroquois (for playing on the world map, it is generally in the right starting location).

I think I will create a custom civ first and assign it the scientific-industrious combo like China. But in MP games with CSAs on (Civ-Specific Abilities; coining an abbreviation ), I will try to play China.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old August 15, 2001, 15:19   #13
TechWins
King

Quote:
Why? Some sort of nationalistic tendencies?
Well kind of, it's just that I like to rule the Americans. I do play other civs once in awhile as well. I primarily like to play with the Americans, though. For more reaons than one. I know the history more than any other civ, I like building the American cities more because I am familiar with all cities I build (unlike some civs where I'm not familair of a few cities), I like being able to fight some of America's enemies over the course of history (e.g. Germans, Russians, Japanese), I can be some of my favorite presidents ever (e.g. Abraham Lincoln, Franklyn Roosevelt), the whole nationalistic thing, I will like to be able to have F-15s, and um that's about it.

Quote:
real civilisation
Go to the Civilization thread to discuss that and I will prove you wrong.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 15, 2001, 15:52   #14
easy
Chieftain

Agree with you. I usually use China and US since I feel familar with those city names. However for other civils, I really don't understand their names such as "dead buffalo" etc. It looks that I mayuse Greek and French in Civ3, I'm considering to rename all their cities as "A", "B", "C", "D" ...

There is a big advantage to use American in the world map, there is no other civils around, so I can develop myself. It's too much crowded in Europe, I can't image how to make a live there.

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

Well kind of, it's just that I like to rule the Americans. I do play other civs once in awhile as well. I primarily like to play with the Americans, though. For more reaons than one. I know the history more than any other civ, I like building the American cities more because I am familiar with all cities I build (unlike some civs where I'm not familair of a few cities), I like being able to fight some of America's enemies over the course of history (e.g. Germans, Russians, Japanese), I can be some of my favorite presidents ever (e.g. Abraham Lincoln, Franklyn Roosevelt), the whole nationalistic thing, I will like to be able to have F-15s, and um that's about it.

Go to the Civilization thread to discuss that and I will prove you wrong.

Last edited by easy; August 15, 2001 at 16:05.
Old August 15, 2001, 16:16   #15
Kropotkin
Emperor

Quote:
For more reaons than one. I know the history more than any other civ, I like building the American cities more because I am familiar with all cities I build (unlike some civs where I'm not familair of a few cities
Otherwise you might actually learn something about the world, how terrible! oh well just the cultural incest of america at work I guess
Old August 15, 2001, 17:07   #16
easy
Chieftain

OK, here comes a fighter!
If you don't have settlers, you still won't be able to build cities even you have explored all the land, it's still useless. You need industrious ability to produce settlers faster.
Do you often exchange technology with other civilizations? I think my technology is always more advanced, and I can research technology faster, so I never exchange with them.

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
I Think I'll opt for Russians, because I like to expand fast early in the game. First because of the goody huts.

Second because when you build several cities, your empire grows, making you less vulnerable than one city only. So making new cities early will create several small cities in stead of some larger ones. No ICS, but a sound strategy though.

Third, when you expand, you'll find your opponents quicker. That obviously provides advantages. Trading tech etc.

And science is also very important as well. All depends on that. If you have better tech, you'll have better soldiers etc.

So the combination of expansionist/scientific does it for me!

But, after playing and actually testing I might have to adjust my opinion...
Old August 16, 2001, 04:22   #17
Mister Pleasant

Shouldn't the Germans be Militaristic/Scientific?

Old August 16, 2001, 05:19   #18
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Pleasant
Shouldn't the Germans be Militaristic/Scientific?
I think they should be industrious/commercial. At least that is what they are now.

I hope we can customize the special abilities table. I'll make the germans industrious/commercial, the americans scientific/expansionist or maybe scientific/commercial and the russians militaristic/expansionist; also I'll change the Brittish to be industrious and the French not to be industrious.

Anyway I will play with a scientific/commercial civ.
Old August 16, 2001, 07:02   #19
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Yeah, scientific/commercial is a good mix. As well as the boost to the economy which indirectly means a boost to science, you get the science advantage on top. So if you are furious researcher, Greeks are the way to go. To me, the attributes of the French look very appealing as well

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 16, 2001, 07:43   #20
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

I like to keep my population as large and happy as possible, so Industrious/Religious (The Egyptians) seems to be an ideal choice. Good for culture, happiness and city improvements.
Old August 16, 2001, 19:04   #21
Draco aka Se7eN
Chieftain

Quote:
Why? Some sort of nationalistic tendencies?
Nice question Jellydonut

All in all, by reading your posts i think this is going to be a great game, i am looking for loads of fun, dump trucks full of the stuff lined up for miles.

I always play as the Romans, their my favorite civ. Im a builder not a fighter though.
Old August 17, 2001, 07:21   #22
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Thinking about it, I think I would personally select the French. The economy and industrial bonuses are a must, enhanced city square production in both minerals and trade, reduced corruption, accelerated workers. Oh yeah baby Plus I think that their time when their golden age would come about, the middle age, would be the ideal point (with their special unit being the musketeer) and allow you to jump to the industrial age in a flash Froggies are the way to go!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 17, 2001, 07:41   #23
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by easy
If you don't have settlers, you still won't be able to build cities even you have explored all the land, it's still useless. You need industrious ability to produce settlers faster.
True. But if you expand you know where to build. Plus maybe you'll get a settler out of a goody hut!
Or even a new city!

Quote:
Do you often exchange technology with other civilizations? I think my technology is always more advanced, and I can research technology faster, so I never exchange with them.
Well, if you exchange not only will they benefit, but you will as well! It just goes faster. But if you are really much more advanced, than there is of course nothing to exchange...
Old August 17, 2001, 08:38   #24
Estilpón
Spanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

I think there are diferent steps, but the abilities I generally prefer:
1. scientific
2. industrious
3. commercial

then I use:
a. Chinese
b. Greeks
c. French
"Cuando ha adoptado una decisión, el entendimiento humano se apoya en todo lo demás para corroborarlo. Y por grande que sea el número y el peso de casos que caen del otro lado, los pasa por alto o desprecia, o mediante alguna distinción los margina o rechaza, a fin de que la autoridad de su primitiva conclusión permanezca incólume". F.Bacon
Old August 17, 2001, 09:00   #25
TechWins
King

Quote:
Otherwise you might actually learn something about the world, how terrible! oh well just the cultural incest of america at work I guess
I never once said that I didn't know history about the world, I only said that I know more American history. Usually, now just usually people know more history about their own nation than any other nation. I guess that just shows the literacy capabilities of whatever nation you're from.
Old August 17, 2001, 14:14   #26
splangy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin

what did america or TW ever do to you? stop being a whiny little ***** and leave us Americans alone just becouse somone in america likes to play America in a game dosen't meen is some fannatic nationalist !!

back to the question.

I will probably play Rome (industrial, millitaristic) when i get the game to pump out real good units. Then i'll probably edit America to be industrial, scientific, warlike (ill edit all others to make it fair) and ill give them the minutmen UU and play them
Old August 17, 2001, 14:47   #27
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:29
China.
Old August 17, 2001, 20:59   #28
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Among those included: The Romans.

Otherwise: I will modify the Greeks, making them Byzantines. The Byzantines are scientific and religious, their special unit is the Cataphract. Cataphracts are modified knights with a slightly stronger attack, so the Byzantines will have their Golden Age in the medieval period, which is fitting. The Byzantines, if played by me, lean towards Monarchy and Communism. They do a lot of research and expand slowly but ceaselessly, like a steamroller.
Old August 18, 2001, 05:26   #29
Footie Mad
Prince

I'll customise my own civ the swedes that have their golden age in the 17th century and their special unit would be karolin ( sort of a musketeer ). Of the one Firaxis has made im leaning towards romans since I really like legions.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 18, 2001, 10:55   #30
Dugrik
Call to Power PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 06:29
All of them.