Old August 15, 2001, 09:27   #1
mrknightly
Settler

Local Time: 00:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Apolyton pack and multiplayer
i was wondering whether or not the Apolyton pack supports multiplayer? cause i don't seem to be able to get it running.

Thanks.
Old August 15, 2001, 14:27   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MrKnightly, you took the words right out of my mouth

As a matter of fact, I just logged on to ask the same question. I loaded CTP2, the CTP2 Patch (v1.1), Modswapper, and the Apolyton Mod.

But when my roommate and I try to play we get the following errors EVERY TURN:

"In Object DIP_InitDiploState, funtion_IsHumanPlayer: Wrong number of arguments"

"In Object WDT_MainRoutine, function_IsHumanPlayer: Wrong number of arguments"

"In Object DIP_EstabEmb, function_IsHumanPlayer: Wrong number of arguments"

So, what good does the Modswapper and Apolyton Mod do for a multiplay game? And yes, I only play multiplay - I like the added human element in the game.
Old August 15, 2001, 15:57   #3
opaque
Warlord

Local Time: 12:31
Well if you only play multiplayer, what good is the Apolyton Pack at all for you? All it really does is concentrate on making the AI a challenge, and if you're playing multiplayer, that doesn't matter anyway. MedMod is a different story though since that has new units, advances etc.
Old August 15, 2001, 17:01   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Ah, but a challenging AI is always welcomed - even in a multiplayer game
Old August 15, 2001, 20:24   #5
VisionV
Settler

Works for me and my son
My son and I are playing Apolyton mulitplayer. I just had to make sure both the computers were patched exactly the same. I even made some more mods. I just had to mod each station the same.
Old August 16, 2001, 05:16   #6
mrknightly
Settler

Apolyton pack and MP
How did you achieve this Good Sir? What do i have to do beyong installing the patch and mod on both sets of computer?

Much Appreciated.
Old August 16, 2001, 10:15   #7
VisionV
Settler

I just installed the patches on each machine at first and it worked. Both of us enter through the modswapper menu, launch "The way it should be", then go to multiplayer menu for a local TCP/IP connection. Then my son creates the game and I join.

We have always played on regular or small maps if you think that might make a difference. I have noticed some strange behavior from time to time with very big maps.
Old August 16, 2001, 10:17   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Good news! The Apolyton Pack version 1.01 seems to have fixed my problem with those errors

I will see this weekend how well the game holds up during a multiplay LAN session...wish me luck!

P.S. I think you're right VisionV, makeing sure that both machines are configured/patched/loaded exactly the same is key.
Old August 16, 2001, 10:20   #9
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Oh and MrKnightly, I answered your email. You should be receiving it shortly.
Old August 16, 2001, 23:38   #10
mrknightly
Settler

Vision V.

When u and your son play, by chance do u also included any other AI opponents. Perhaps this is my problem.
Old August 17, 2001, 10:44   #11
VisionV
Settler

yes. we play against AI together. have you installed the latest version of Apolyton?
Old August 17, 2001, 22:04   #12
mrknightly
Settler

CTP2 Mp
If you are referring to the Apolyton patch 1.01, then yes. The same errors as Wittlich spoke of appear. I've installed the official patch, followed by the mod swapper, then the Apolyton patch. Any help is appreciated. The current AI is stupid and a push-over.

Thanx.
Old August 18, 2001, 11:19   #13
VisionV
Settler

the only thing i know of to try is to uninstall and reinstall ctp and the patches on both machines. that might work.
Old August 18, 2001, 12:19   #14
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 13:31
Try setting DeBugSlic in userprofile.txt to No if you haven't.
Old August 18, 2001, 13:08   #15
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Try setting DeBugSlic in userprofile.txt to No if you haven't.
That's what worked for me...of course, I took no chances and reloaded everything over again (on both machines) - just to be safe
Old August 19, 2001, 03:01   #16
mrknightly
Settler

CTP2 MP Thankyou very much
Three Cheers...It Works!!!

Thanks for all the tips guys.
How hard is the AI with the patch anyway? Are they a push over at impossible. as was in the original.

Also, what's the best way to counter those damn stealth fighters, they're so powerful! My bro keeps on sending waves upon waves against me.

Thanks again.
Old August 19, 2001, 08:05   #17
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 13:31
In open combat, Mobile SAMs, anything else with active defense, Interceptors or other stealth fighters!

In cities, Mobile SAMs and Flak Towers to give better defense against air units.
Old August 19, 2001, 11:05   #18
VisionV
Settler

It is a lot better, but still not much compared to human competition.

The problem I have found playing impossible is that tech is stagnated so much for me, that a game takes forever, even though I win it. +40% cost of all techs at Impossible level.

Apolyton starts the AI out with 4 settlers and a lot of tech on Impossible. This keeps the AI ahead of me until the gunpowder. Around which time I usually catch up and pass. I have also played with the patch on multiplayer mode and turned hadicapping on. Then I gave each of 5 AI's $25,000 and 8 settlers. This kept them ahead of me until almost the modern age.

I think the AI is just too conservative to win. I have never seen a computer go to all out war against me, which I would really like. I would also like to see some intense naval battles. I wish I knew how to slic better.