Players

1. EtheMind as University jevdi@mbnet.fi
2. ouch! as Drones gasdd@yahoo.com.au
3. SITS as Spartans tony@tlafave.demon.co.uk
4. Qantaga as Angels qantaga@aol.com
5. Tubok as Gaians b_k_roberts@yahoo.com
6. vomitus as Hive vomitus@mutantworld.com
7. Lord_Icewind as Peacekeepers dmon007@yahoo.com

Map is DilithumDad's Ultimate Builder Map, sized 64x128(available as attachment)
Standard rules
Trancend difficulty
No early communication
- communication only after actual in-game contact, Empath Guild allows contact as usual

All players will email their passwords to admin(ethemind@mbnet.fi)

The goal is to keep the game in steady progress with recommended 2-3 turns per day, if possible. Participants are adviced to forward their turns immediately after taken. If you are unable to continue playing please inform the admin and send in your password so we can acquire a replacement. In case you are unable to proceed with the game in sensible schedule due to vacation or similar you would serve the progress of the game best by pointing an outsider as a temporary replacement for the time being.

No cheating will be allowed. You will only hurt your reputation and your self esteem by using some of the well known "back doors" in MP game. Even though this game is not ranked or to be taken too seriously we have a reason to expect a fair game with all the consideration towards a fellow participants.
(Needn't to save your bullets in the game )

And, this is a turn tracking thread so post your message when committing a turn. Recommended style of naming the compressed game file(.zip) is "nextplayer-year.sav", eg. "EtheMind-2234.sav"

Have a nice PBEM experience.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip hmopdd2.zip (40.2 KB, 5 views)
"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a God! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!" - Shakespeare
Old August 15, 2001, 14:11   #2
EtheMind
Warlord

Local Time: 14:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Turn sent to Foreman ouch!, 2101
"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a God! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!" - Shakespeare
Old August 15, 2001, 20:03   #3
ouch!
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:33
2101 to SITS
Old August 15, 2001, 20:50   #4
Qantaga
King

Local Time: 07:33
2101 passed to Tubok.

EtheMind, please don't take this personally, as no offense is intended, but perhaps we should find someone who is not playing in the game to hold passwords for us.

Last edited by Qantaga; August 15, 2001 at 20:58.
Old August 16, 2001, 02:48   #5
EtheMind
Warlord

So, I'm a drone...You edited that "no offense" comment, didn't you?

I thought of that myself for a half a second and came to a conclusion that I have absolute confidende to myself when it comes to integrity. But since you know little of me, I guess you're request is in some manner...acceptable.

Let us find someone to hold passwords. I'll just pass you email where you can send your passes
Old August 16, 2001, 07:54   #6
Qantaga
King

Yes, I did edit to make sure you understood that no offense was intended. It is just standard procedure around here that, if passwords are to be held, they are held by a non-participant.

Thanks for understanding.
Old August 16, 2001, 12:29   #7
Lord_Icewind
ACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

I've got a problem
I've already sent this request via email to ethemind, but just in case.....
As im a rookie in PBEM gaming (my actual first PBEM, but i've played some IP's) Where do save the file after the download and, with which name? well, this quetion may sound stupid, but its my first time anyway.
Can u guys help?
THANKS
Old August 16, 2001, 13:23   #8
Qantaga
King

Lord Icewind,

What I do is set up a folder under the SMACX save folder in my file system for each PBEM game I am playing. In this case, I named the folder "SMAX7". I also have a folder I use for downloads. Once I download the new file, I unzip it and then copy it into the SMAX7 folder and the game is ready to launch once I open the game.

When you save the file, you may want to name it something like "SMAX7-EtheMind-2102" (for his year 2102). Then, zip it and attach it in an e-mail to EtheMind.

Hope this helps.
Old August 16, 2001, 14:28   #9
Tubok
Chieftain

Have taken my turn
I've taken my turn and have sent the next turn on to Vomitus at:
vomitus@mutantworld.com . As I do check my email daily (sometimes multiple times) and take whatever turns are in my mail box, I see no reason to give my password to anybody, even somebody who is not playing the game. IF something comes up, and I'll not be able to take my turn on a particular day, I'll have somebody (not in game) take my turn. No offense to anybody. The only time I feel one should give up his password is if they will no longer be playing this particular game, then so the game can carry on...at that point...give the password to an "outsider".
Old August 16, 2001, 15:07   #10
SITS
King

Local Time: 12:33
Tubok - I can understand your concerns, I had them myself when I started but I realised it made sense to have someone independent having the passwords. If anything goes wrong, from people losing interest, going on holiday, sudden illness, losing your connection then the game is unplayable by the others. Hopefully, we will all invest a lot of time into the game and it would be terrible if that went to waste. So passing your password to an independent person provides a safety net for everyone. It normally works very well.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old August 17, 2001, 01:10   #11
vomitus
Settler

my turn
I'm done my turn and sending it to lord icewind.

What's the point of making us post our turns to this forum? I have very little time to do this. I don't see how it adds anything to the game.
Old August 17, 2001, 02:25   #12
SITS
King

Vomitus - It allows us to keep track of the turn. Sometimes a turn gets lost and if someone has posted here that they have sent it then you know to ask for a resend. It is easy, especially with seven players, for the turn to go astray. I know it is a pain in the ass but it does help - you can brag about you faction activities as well! Have a look at the other game threads to see this in action. I'm involved in AXT033 and some of the comments are quite good!

Also I got a copy of the Lord Icewinds turn that you cc to everybody. You don't need to do this - all you need to do is post it to the person and put on the board here that you've sent it.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old August 17, 2001, 17:56   #13
Lord_Icewind
Warlord

Well...
Guys, I think i'll have to quit and resign to play via IP. I've tried naming it .zip . mp and .sav, and puttign it into the /save file, and the /map file, but it does'nt work...if you have any ideas, tell me...but i think i need a guide, step-by-step (imagine its someone who has no idea about computers)....
well, if nothing works..g'day and have fun
Old August 17, 2001, 19:13   #14
ouch!
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:33
If you describe the prob it would be easier to help.

Did you unzip the file?? just renaming it to .sav wont work.

maybe what you aren't doing is choosing a multiplayer game.
After starting the game you need to choose multiplayer, then email/hotseat, then load game. Then you can open the save file. If you need to change directories to get there type the directory letter followed by a : (e.g. d:).

You can save the file with any name ending in .sav and it should work.

And you need the expansion installed as well (alien crossfire).

Last edited by ouch!; August 17, 2001 at 21:16.
Old August 19, 2001, 02:09   #15
EtheMind
Warlord

You're not only loyal ouch! but smart too I never thought Icewind might try loading the MP game like SP game. It could be the problem. But Lord_Icewind just signed off the game so I'm not sure does it matter anymore...and could you believe these people actually did not trusted their save files for me!

At this point, however, we are looking for someone to take Lord_Icewind's place in our PBEM
Old August 19, 2001, 03:16   #16
SITS
King

Lets see if we can help Lord_Icewind to sort it first before we dump him. This was advertised as a newbie game so lets take the time to see if we can make it right.

Lord_Icewind can you post to the thread exactly what you are doing and what is going wrong.

Old August 19, 2001, 07:09   #17
EtheMind
Warlord

Well I didn't actually dumb him SITS. Lord_Icewind receives all the empathy all of us can offer He decided to quit for a reason. Of course it hasn't been carved into stone. But...
I have acquired this Murgen character to play Peacekeepers. So we actually have that 7th player ready to go in a second. As soon as he posts his email into this thread vomitus can send him (his) turn.
Old August 19, 2001, 07:14   #18
SITS
King

Well, he does say he thinks he will have to quit as he can't get it to work but he goes on to ask for help. I think we should wait for a day and see if we can get it working for him. I've talked to him via ICQ this morning but we had to cut it short as he was rushing out. We agreed to talk later on to try and sort it.

I suggest you ask Murgen to hold on for a little while....

Old August 19, 2001, 08:07   #19
EtheMind
Warlord

I talked with him this morning and we tried to work it out, but it didn't helped. ouch!'s reasoning may be correct, he might have tried to load the file in a wrong way. But after this discussion his intention was to quit. And hopeful to get this game going as fast as possible I immediately recruited a replacement who is about to contact this thread.
Old August 19, 2001, 08:48   #20
SITS
King

After talking to him I think the problem is with his yahoo account. I suspect he is saving the page rather than the attachment but hopefully we can sort it later...Give it some time.

Old August 20, 2001, 17:07   #21
Lord_Icewind
Warlord

The problem is this:
When i download the attachement (i click on it) it ask me were to save it and i put it in either the /maps file or the /saves file. I've tried naming it .SAV, .zip and .MP. (by the way, it does not ask me to unzip it) I have the 2.0 version of SMAX, so that's not the problem (the one you download at apolytion). Anyway, it does not matter where i save it or how i name it, when i try to play it it says the same thing: invalid map file..

I have no idea of what to do!
I don't really care if you guys start with the game without me, as the game has been for a long time on the wait. I only hope i can fix it for other games. Or I will resign to play via IP :banned:
Thanks anyway guys.
Old August 20, 2001, 17:52   #22
SITS
King

Lord - You save the attachment to the folder of your choice. Then use Windows Explorer to find it and double click on it. WinZip should open then and then you presss Extract. Choose the directory where you want to save and when you load the game up you direct it to that folder.

When we talked on ICQ before you said it came up with Html. Are you sure you are saving the attachment or the page?

I've just tested it with my Yahoo account. Click on Download File then click on Save this file to disk. It will ask you where you want to save it. You should be able to folllow it above. Let me know if you have problems with it.

Old August 21, 2001, 02:43   #23
EtheMind
Warlord

That's about it

I certainly hope there's still a player or two with us when we finally get started
Old August 23, 2001, 14:10   #24
EtheMind
Warlord

Since Icewind hasn't succeeded to overcome this problem I'll start looking for replacement and when I found one, you will be informed.

I'll be off-computer for the next four days, so don't panic 'Cause I'll be back...
Old August 28, 2001, 03:35   #25
Murgen
Settler

I'd like to fill in for the peacekeepers. Tell me what i need to know and we can get started asap.
Old August 28, 2001, 04:21   #26
SITS
King

Sounds good to me - sorry for being so insistant. I thought Icewind could get it sorted.

Old August 28, 2001, 07:55   #27
Qantaga
King

Murgen, welcome to the game! vomitus will need to send the Peacekeeper turn to you.

SITS, I think you did the right thing. It is supposed to be a "newbie-to-average" game, so I'm glad we gave Icewind every opportunity to figure things out. Now, we can get on with the game at hand.
Old August 29, 2001, 20:31   #28
vomitus
Settler

Raining vomit
Dudes, this is the first time I checked this forum in weeks. Let me know what's murgen's email address? And do we have icewind's password? Unless this is the first turn and he didn't set one. I'm involved in 2 pbem games (neither of which are going anywhere) and I can't remember what goes on in one or the other.
Old August 30, 2001, 11:59   #29
EtheMind
Warlord

Well. Nice for you to finally stop by...dude. I sent email to Murgen. You're telling me that you don't have the last save file? If not I can ask Icewind for his or the player before you can re-send your turn and then we're back online.
Old August 31, 2001, 00:52   #30
vomitus
Settler

Hi. I got laid off yesterday morning. I decided to go on a road trip. I'm going to email my password to Ethemind. I'm quitting. I deeply apologize to you all. I was very enthusiastic to play this game multiplayer and I still am. However, I'll be gone for two weeks and I don't want to hold you all up. I'll join some other game when I get back.