Old August 16, 2001, 11:26   #1
Der PH
Warlord

Local Time: 13:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Underwater cities
Someone posted this question before in one of the threads, but I can't find this post any more and never saw any replies to it.

So here I ask it again:
Does anybody know, whether it is possible to get the old underwater city graphics from CTP1 working with CTP2? I liked them very much and cannot understand, why they were not used in CTP2.

Since my modding abilities are restricted to adjustment of the variables in the txt-files, I have to ask the professionals for help.
Old August 17, 2001, 08:12   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 14:35
Of course it is possible to implement the sprites of the CTP1 underwater cities into CTP2. But there apears the problem: CTP2 has own underwater city sprites but the game does bot use them, because of a bug. The problem is that every underwater city get its undersea tunnel on its tile. But the undersea tunnels convert every sea terrain to a land terrain. And therefore you only see land cities. So far as I know it is possible to work around this problem. But it must be worked out. And no one did finished it yet.

-Martin
Old August 17, 2001, 11:11   #3
Der PH
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
But the undersea tunnels convert every sea terrain to a land terrain.
Wouldn't this mean, that no ships could enter an ocean tile with an undersea tunnel on it?
From an old game (the only one I played to the genetic age so far) I remember, that this works (I think I would have noticed, if not).
Old August 17, 2001, 18:18   #4
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 14:35
Every terrain tile has its internal type from the terrain.txt. There are terrains of the deep water type, shallow water type, land type, montain type and air type. Every terrain belongs to the air type and then there are terrains that belongs additional to land, montain, shallow water or deep water. So the underwater tunnels give the tarrain additional a land type they are now both land and sea. And note you have put emphasis on the order land and sea. So land type is the mayor type. You can check this: Open the cheat editor and give yourself all advances and put then a lot of underwater tunnels om your map and switch of the terrain details of the radar map. And it will only show the the difference between land and sea tiles. As tiles with underwater tunnels are now both types they will appear on the radar map as land tiles and ships can enter these tiles.

-Martin
Old August 20, 2001, 02:55   #5
Der PH
Warlord

Thanks for your explanations, Martin!