Old August 16, 2001, 16:02   #1
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 06:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
yin26 was a hypocrite: Civ3 and revolutionary games
yin26 made a very public gesture of leaving because Firaxis did not make Civ3 a revolutionary game. In reacting to that absurd statement, I recalled yin’s failed attempt getting into EU, which in many ways was a revolutionary Civ-like game. This was his own words (which was similar to my opinions as well)…

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
The game is a labor of love. It was made by a bunch of guys who always wanted a Civ-like game in which you couldn't win simply by being a dumbass warmongerer. From what I see, they accomplished that very well.

[snip]

Except, of course, they made the gamer work TOO DAMN hard to sort all the mechanics out and suffer through dozens of tiny annoyances that, for me, killed the game before it ever had a chance. Now, I've seen the number of people on-line who absolutely love the game, and I won't argue with them. They've undoubtedly given the game several (25+?) hours to really get the hang of things, to make sense of the mess of menus and the awkward (horrible?) message system that is "supposed" to make playing RTS style possible.

I guess if you work your way though all that and spend a healthy amount of time looking for answers to the otherwise unexplained gaming elements, you can learn to like and even love the game. But for me, NO game is worth 25+ hours up front simply to feel comfortable playing. No game. I spent about 10, after which I decided I have better things to do with myself when I want to be entertained.

[snip]

Finally, it's just a shame to me that a game with SO much going on simultaneously (econ, military, diplomacy) didn't give a priority to making it all easily digestible to the player. I would likely have stuck with this in my younger days, but now that I'm very, very busy, I demand more, I guess. For no doubt as all the reviews and on-line threads show, there is certainly a great game in there somewhere.

Just be prepared to work to find it.
Don’t you think that those demanding a radical departure from the Civ1/Civ2 model don’t know what they are wishing for? I would rather have a game that is presented clearly and simply and have to explore its depths (like the perception of Civ3) than one that is deep and complex (re: revolutionary) in which you have to find the enjoyment.
Old August 16, 2001, 16:20   #2
tniem
King

Local Time: 07:35
I just read Yin's review and what he says has nothing to do with the game not being revolutionary. He simply states that the game does not have a friendly interface and has to steep of a learning curve for him to enjoy the game. Why does that make him a hypocrite?
Old August 16, 2001, 16:24   #3
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 14:35
well, yin's last thread hardly seemed like "a very public gesture of leaving"

on the other hand, we have your thread. if you wanted to say something to yin you should post in his thread. if you wanted to discuss in general the issue of how much civ3 should be "revolutionary", there was no reason to devote almost the entire starting post to a specific person

so what we end up having is a delayed personal attack to someone even starting from the thread title. someone who has actually stopped participating in the forums.

therefore, this thread is dead.

if you want to save yin from hypocrisy send him a mail at namk26@hotmail.com