Old August 17, 2001, 14:37   #1
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 12:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is the fourth Civ... The Zulus?
Maybe they're grouped after the place of the Unique Unit in the tech tree, ie. the time of their in-game Golden Age? Notice that both the Egyptians and the Babylonians had UUs that were improvements upon initial units. From what we know, the Greeks and the Zulus have units that improve on second-row units, ie. Spearmen.
Old August 17, 2001, 15:09   #2
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 08:37
Spearmen are first-row units; Bronze working.

Iron working gets you Swordsmen.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 17, 2001, 17:36   #3
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 13:37
I thought they were going in some kind of chronological order when deciding which civ goes next.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old August 19, 2001, 00:14   #4
Gangerolf
Prince

Anyway, the bloody kaffer Zulus never should have been in the game in the first place.
Old August 19, 2001, 04:23   #5
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 07:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
Anyway, the bloody kaffer Zulus never should have been in the game in the first place.
I agree, maybe Im no expert on the (Boah?) wars in South Africa, but what makes the Zulus more than just another tribe other than the fact that 19th century British people romanticized them?
For that matter, the Iroqouis? I agree that the Aztecs/Incas should be included, but if we are going on influence on history... *(sarcasm)please(sarcasm).

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old August 19, 2001, 05:19   #6
korn469
Emperor

Snapcase

i'd say after the greeks it'd have to be either the zulus or the aztecs and then the romans...because the aztects weren't know for either gunpower units or mounted units this means that spearman, archer, swordman, or possibly (but unlikely pikemen) will be their special unit, so it could go either way
Old August 20, 2001, 01:35   #7
tniem
King

korn,

We also need to get the Persians in there. Cyrus the Great was 538 BC. There special unit has got to be some type of ancient unit and they fought the Greeks. And they died out (I believe) before the Romans so they should be up there.

And what about the Chinese? They are an old civ, but where should there unique unit/golden age come? That will be interesting to see when the Chinese come in the game.
Old August 20, 2001, 02:05   #8
korn469
Emperor

tniem

hehe a couple of the civs slipped my mind

yu're right about the persians they will most likely have an ancient age unit either an improved horseman or swordman

as for the chinese i have no idea! there are various units you could make an argument for, and chinese history is so long that there is a wealth of examples to draw on...i'll be interested to see where firaxis puts them too

and if firaxis is only improving special units by attack, defense, or movement then that means no more than three special units per unit

spearmen apparently already have two (the impi and hopelite) so i'm just not really sure

EDIT: also how about the Indians and the Iroquois any guess as to what their CSU might be?

Last edited by korn469; August 20, 2001 at 03:20.
Old August 20, 2001, 13:43   #9
tniem
King

The Indians seemingly have the same problem that the Chinese have in placing them. Firaxis could put the civ as ancient one (The Indus Valley) but most likely their leader will be Mahatmas Gahndi (sp?) and so they will be a more recent civ. But what unit have they had that is specialized recently or ever? That will be interesting.

The Iroquis will probably be around 1700 AD with some type of gun carrying or horse riding unit. I know it isn't what they had for hundreds of years, but they are in the game for fighting the Europeans that came to the New World. So my guess is some type of unit that they used to fight Europeans.

On the other hand the Aztecs are probably coming up soon as well. If I remember correctly they just had figured out bronze when the Spanish landed. They had not yet reached iron and so their special unit has to be soon as well.

Edit: Korn, just realized that you had already mentioned the Aztecs. My mistake.

Last edited by tniem; August 20, 2001 at 13:50.
Old August 20, 2001, 23:25   #10
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:37
I really have no idea what the Chinese CSU will be. Maybe something from either the Han or Tang dynasty...
Old August 21, 2001, 05:19   #11
korn469
Emperor

tniem

i know that the indians have a fairly modern unit (industrial age in civ3) called possibly the ghuri, but i'm not sure...they carry the curved swords and rifles...as far as i know were kind of like an elite part of the british/indian army, so i think they are a possibility for the indians, i'll try to do more research on it tommorrow i just thought of it tonight (guess: rifleman)

the aztecs may have just discovered bronze but i think the main material they used in there swords was obsideon which is a volcanic rock or volcanic glass it was apparently very sharp...and like someone mentioned in another thread the aztec CSU will most likely be an eagle or a jaguara infantry...i'll hunt that down tommorrow also (guess: sworman 3.2.2)

as for the Iroquis...they lived in the forest and didn't really make use of horses in a significant military way like the sioux or the apache...plus there are no gunpowder mounted units...it skips from knights to early ww2 tanks...so most likely it will be an early gunpowder unit (guess: unit under military tradition)

in the other thread harlan pointed out that the Parthian archer or the Cataphract are likely to be the persian's specail unit (guess: knight 4.4.2)

chinese...uhhh i still don't really know
Old August 21, 2001, 08:58   #12
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I really have no idea what the Chinese CSU will be. Maybe something from either the Han or Tang dynasty...
Boxer? (as in Boxer revolt of Peking (Beijing) around 1900).

I know it's not very likely, but because of my bad knowledge of the Chinese history I only remember of them...

They could be a modified kind of Civ II Partisan... ok, forget it.
Old August 21, 2001, 09:59   #13
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Maybe the Chinese will get some super-diplomat, the Mandarin.
Old August 21, 2001, 16:06   #14
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
Maybe the Chinese will get some super-diplomat, the Mandarin.
Isn't it confirmed that the spy and diplomat units are not in the game?
Old August 21, 2001, 16:42   #15
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Red Army units for Chinese/Russians, instead of riflemen?

Clubmen for Aztecs, instead of warriors? (The Aztecs prefered clubs because it would be easier to use their victims for religious ceremonies that way)

Braves for Iroquis, instead of scouts?
Old August 21, 2001, 16:43   #16
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Isn't it confirmed that the spy and diplomat units are not in the game?
Hope so. I hate them, they turn wars into bribe-fests. Completely ruins the game.