Old August 20, 2001, 12:02   #1
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 14:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Interview with Sid Meier
In the norwegian paper( ) magazine "incite PC games" it stands a inderview with Sid Meier! It stands in norwegian, but I will here translate as good as possible.

We got the man behind titles as Civilization 1 and 2, the strategy players god father, Sid Meier, and asked him to tell how and why he began to work with the third sector in the million selling game series:
"First I will avoid to hear 'the more, the better' phenomenon, that in the lenght are destroying for all game genres. I will not for any price fill the game up with more technology, more units and bigger landscapes. Just because it is big and intricate, it doesn't have to mean that the game is good," Sid Meier explains. Therefore he also has choosed to limit the number of civilizations to 16, and to keep the quantity of technological possibilities and units on the same level as Civilization 2.
After what the lead programmer in Firaxis, Soren Johnson, says, one can't expect radical changes in the build up of the landscapes:
"All the formative things in the build up of the terrains as for example the different types of landscape will be the same, but we have of course changed some details in the meaning of the terrain, so that the units for example will see longer if they are on mountains and hills, and can then see prosessing enemies earlier."
Though Civilization 2 now is five years old, it is still popular among many hardcore strategy fans. One of the main reasons to the long durability are the artificial intelligence the computer opponents have, which means that two different games can evolve in very different ways. Fortunate it seems that Sid Meier and Firaxis are working hard to do Civilization 3 at least as long time lasting as the earlier ones, at least that is what the strategy guru says himself:
"The most important for us aren't to make the most technical revolutionary 3D game. The best with Civilization 2 are actually that it is fun to play, so we will try to make a good AI and a well balanced gameplay, so that the players will play again and again. It can be you wont say whauuuw the first time you see Civilization 3, but after some hours you will explore all the details that lies hidden under the grund. It is our way to make games. We often works with a game in several years and tries to make something freakish that catches the players interest at least as long. Civilization 3 will not be a game you will be done with in a couple of hours, and then delites. It will be on your hard drive in all the future.

Other (new?) info(stands in small frames around in the interview):

Ships will play a important part in Civilization 3. War ships protects the cities against naval attacks, freight ships transports goods to foreign countries and u-boats can launch nukes.

Fast cavalery units are ideal to explore the landscape. Three stripes next to the unit shows its health in combat(all right, the last one aren't soo new, but I don't think it has stood in plain ttext before, just on the pictures.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 20, 2001, 17:05   #2
Edward
Warlord

Local Time: 07:40
I, for one, WILL say "whauuuw" when I see Civ3!
Old August 20, 2001, 17:56   #3
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:40
Quote:
Therefore he also has choosed to limit the number of civilizations to 16
Damn

Quote:
and to keep the quantity of technological possibilities and units on the same level as Civilization 2.
Damn Damn

Quote:
One of the main reasons to the long durability are the artificial intelligence the computer opponents have
Eh? Never noticed that in Civ2. The AI plays the same kinda tactics every time.

Quote:
Ships will play a important part in Civilization 3. War ships protects the cities against naval attacks, freight ships transports goods to foreign countries and u-boats can launch nukes.
Same as Civ2/Col

Quote:
Fast cavalery units are ideal to explore the landscape.
Well duh You won't go exploring with a catapult, would you?

Quote:
so we will try to make a good AI
Oh please God, let it be so! Please!!
Old August 21, 2001, 12:06   #4
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

So this wasn't that interessting after all?
And I that thought any info from Sid was G_O_L_D!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 21, 2001, 12:26   #5
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 07:40
hmmm... why does he think you cant have a descent sized tech tree, map or a descent nmber of civilizastions? im gonna learn how to hack this game..
Old August 21, 2001, 13:51   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark L
Well duh You won't go exploring with a catapult, would you?
Are you sure, that was my favorite explorer unit While my settlers were spies
Old August 21, 2001, 13:58   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 12:40
Quote:
Originally posted by ancient
hmmm... why does he think you cant have a descent sized tech tree, map or a descent nmber of civilizastions? im gonna learn how to hack this game..
Call to Power. Need I say more?

P.S. I'm sure you'll be aable to easily edit the game
Old August 21, 2001, 21:20   #8
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 13:40
Hei Niko, du kan ikke oversette 'det står på norsk' med 'it stands in norwegian'.

Quote:
"The most important for us aren't to make the most technical revolutionary 3D game. The best with Civilization 2 are actually that it is fun to play, so we will try to make a good AI and a well balanced gameplay, so that the players will play again and again
I like the way mr Meier thinks.

Quote:
Just because it is big and intricate, it doesn't have to mean that the game is good," Sid Meier explains. Therefore he also has choosed to limit the number of civilizations to 16
This I do not understand though. I can't see how more than 16 civs will make the game neither more intricate nor worse.
Old August 21, 2001, 21:46   #9
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:40
Well, I think he means that they limited it to 16 so they could put more work into EACH of those 16, rather than have 32 that didn't have a lot of work put in them.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 21, 2001, 21:53   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:40
Im more leaning towards having more civ 'clones' in than 7 diverse cultures, where half dont even make it to the endgame...

However, i guess ill leave final judgement until ive played the game itself.
Old August 23, 2001, 11:40   #11
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 06:40
Quote:
I think that there were two ways we could have gone. One was to [add] more and more complexity, technologies, units, etcetera, which is a direction that I think kills most genres eventually – the idea that you have to make everything more complicated, take longer to play, and require a bigger manual than the last one. You make a good point: there are a significant number of people out there that didn’t play the original Civilization. Our goal is to capture the spirit of the original Civilization which was easy to start playing. You had one settler moving around, pressed a button, and a city came up. We didn’t want Civ III to be the most complicated Civ or the most difficult Civ to ever play; we wanted to take advantage of the new technology to make the game easier to play and to make the information more accessible, keeping the “easy to get started” aspect and the depth that the original had. That allows new people to play but with enhancements, like new cultures and diplomatic play, there’s [still] a lot of new things for the experienced Civ player as well.
In other words, making Civ3 more accessible to all civers instead of just the hard-core ones who demanded a revolutionary game. I like that very much. All (most) of Sid's game have one thing in common: simple to play yet deep in its game.
Old August 23, 2001, 11:51   #12
OneFootInTheGrave
King

The most important thing would be to provide a good modding utility that would allow advanced users to change such things as number of civs/ create custom civs/ units/ wonders/ etc...

That is the difference between good and excellent.
Old August 23, 2001, 11:59   #13
OneFootInTheGrave
King

The most important thing would be to provide a good modding utility that would allow advanced users to change such things as number of civs/ create custom civs/ units/ wonders/ etc...

That is the difference between good and excellent.

Higher the ability to customize longer the game will play.

I can bet that if Civ II had the ability to improve AI, and to allow more than 7 civs, + the ability to change terrain graphics as well it would have been used as a platform for a brilliant Civ mod that would have been played even now from many more people than it currently is.

Well we might not get this level of customizability with Civ III , but this would give an edge to the game future proofness.

remember in 1996 when Civ II came out the scenario editor was more than most other games had. Today many of the games have a great ability to customize all aspects of the game. I hope Civ 3 will allow the same.
Old August 23, 2001, 12:13   #14
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 06:40
Quote:
Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
I can bet that if Civ II had the ability to improve AI, and to allow more than 7 civs, + the ability to change terrain graphics as well it would have been used as a platform for a brilliant Civ mod that would have been played even now from many more people than it currently is.
That is not correct at all, OFITG. For one, most scenario do not have more than 4 civs. With their emphasis on warfare, you don't have that many sides. Kull's Ancient Age scenarios works perfectly with 7 civs because that can cover all of the major civs of that time period within that region. Even a world war scenario do well with a limited number (else it would take much longer to play than they do now). For example, it is customary and more playable to break WW2 down into allies, axis and a few minor nations. Rarely throughout history do you have more than a handful of protaganists going at each other. So I would suspect that many historical-based scenario developers would not be interested in anything more than 7 civs.

Secondly, there have been many Civ2 scenarios where the terrain tile changes as the result of an event.

And as far as improving the AI, developers like Capt Nemo and others have done an incredible job with the events.txt file to make the AI play very hard. Suggestion, play one of the minor nations in the Red Front scenarios and you'll see how difficult the AI can be.

In all, there were many, many clever scenarios designed for Civ2, it's just some folks don't know about them. I would say that just in the past 12 months, the best scenarios for Civ2 had been developed and I would fully expect that Civ3 will be even more. No, the customization for Civ2 was about the best that can be expected, and long lived, as proven by our friends in the Civ2-Scenario League.