Old June 16, 2000, 18:46   #31
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
(pondering Linux switch...)

Oh by the way - John Possidente either posted or wrote in one of his strat books that the GoTo command calculates the distance to several nearby coastlines, for whatever reason, to determine its best route. If you play on a map with square land forms and no inland seas it might work some of the time!
Old June 16, 2000, 20:20   #32
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
It worked ok for the single MAC version but was still suspect.

The unpatched MGE version was a total write off.Units went whereever their little hearts desired.The patch helped alot but I still don't trust it.Try it with a bunch of freights or caravans.It can be quite amusing to watch.

It works alot better over short distances connected by RR.The straighter the RR,the better.Fairly reliable for inner core wonder building.

I noticed my triremes never sink despite wandering into open water under "go to".Unfortunatel,they never go where I want them to either.

I consider it unreliable at best.
Old June 16, 2000, 20:35   #33
Jim W
Warlord

Local Time: 22:39
I had pretty near given up on the Goto Command, then someone in one of the threads mentioned the patch. I downloaded it, and was having very good luck with the GoTo (apart from the world seam problem and one or two other idiosyncrasies).

Then I had to reinstall Civ II, and reinstall the patch. Now, I find (for the last several games) that the GoTo is still workable, but less so. I could once send a ship to a far-off port and forget about it until it arrived. Now I occasionally find it doing a shift from one point to another and back again.

On land, if there is a road, very often things will follow the road. However, several times a caravan heads out south to another city, then neglects to take a curve, and ends up going painfully cross-country, one space a turn, for the nexet little while.

If FreeCiv has fixed, or obviated, this bug, its almost enough to make me go and download Linux.

Jim W