Old August 21, 2001, 09:38   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 05:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I am BROKE, BROKE, BROKE
being out of work for a few months can do that to you.

after taking a hard look at my budget, I realize there is no way I can afford to preorder civ3!

I have a job, but I don't have near the extra that I used to have. In fact, I don't have any extra at all!

maybe if I embezzle 5$ every couple of weeks, I'll be able to swing it. maybe they'll have a really good sale at media play.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old August 21, 2001, 09:47   #2
Mannamagnus
Prince

Local Time: 13:41
Good luck!
Old August 21, 2001, 10:39   #3
Adm.Naismith
King

Re: I am BROKE, BROKE, BROKE
Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast

after taking a hard look at my budget, I realize there is no way I can afford to preorder civ3!
Don't be afraid, I'm sure some kind people at Firaxis will be happy to buy the game and... describing it to you move after move, posting every detail and screenshoot...

It will be almost like buying the real thing: "Virtual Civ III", the new border of enjoyment.

Seriusly, let's hope your finance improve a bit and Firaxis spend another months polishing the tin box, so you can have more time to save enough money.
Old August 21, 2001, 11:06   #4
Rommel393
Warlord

Local Time: 06:41
I will be able to afford civ3 as long as i spend NO money until i finally get around to preordering it today.

oh yeah, goodluck beast. hey, if u want to save some money i just started my career as a slumlord. you can come down and check out any of my fine.... er boxes... i mean homes here. gimmy a ring.
Old August 21, 2001, 11:24   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 12:41
It's still a couple months away, you could easily afford it simply by cutting back a little bit and saving a dollar each day. good time to stop smoking / drinking.
Old August 21, 2001, 11:41   #6
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 07:41
im quite in the opposite position, i just got my first job, and am getting payed this friday, since i have absolutely no expenses i will be making quite a bit of money.. (ok not really but i will be able to afford civ3)
Old August 21, 2001, 11:59   #7
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
Father, solve it the American way, ie borrow it. Preferably by means of double-digit rate credit cards or mortgaging your house.

No seriously, I'm sure you’ll have the cash by the time the game is released or at least soon afterwards but don't embezzle money for a game. (in case you were serious)
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 21, 2001, 12:24   #8
Juggler
Prince

I'm not broke but I have to buy a new PC before I can buy a game like Civ3. That will immobilize me for 6 months or so + I intend to buy BG2 before Civ3.
I can just dream of Civ3.
Old August 21, 2001, 19:47   #9
Father Beast
King

I wasn't talking about embezzling from my company, just my wife. 5$ every couple of weeks from grocery bills or gas money. just enough to swing it.

I guess I'll have to tell her about it. Otherwise she'll start to wonder why the car doesn't get as full when I fill it up.

Gave up smoking and drinking when I turned 18. don't have coffee or candy either because of expense. I don't get fast food.

The good news is that my grandma just sent me 10$ for my birthday (how appropriate, her birthday check helped pay for civ2 a few years back). That is starting off the "untouchable stash" for civ3.

I think I can do this after all.

I hope.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
Old August 21, 2001, 21:13   #10
kittenOFchaos
Prince

you need a new wife...this one isn't bring home enough bacon
Old August 21, 2001, 21:27   #11
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:41
Quote:
Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
you need a new wife...this one isn't bring home enough bacon
Or better yet, get several

Skim $5 off each wives grocery bills, you'll have enough money to buy the game and then some!!
Old August 21, 2001, 22:32   #12
jadlakha
Warlord

I seriously see no need to preorder any game. Just wait till the game hits store shelves. Usually for highly anticipated games the store shelves are stocked with the games. I will gaurantee that there will be more then enough copies of Civilization III stocking the store shelves when the game is released at Best Buy.
Old August 21, 2001, 22:45   #13
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jadlakha
I seriously see no need to preorder any game. Just wait till the game hits store shelves. Usually for highly anticipated games the store shelves are stocked with the games. I will gaurantee that there will be more then enough copies of Civilization III stocking the store shelves when the game is released at Best Buy.
There isn't any reason not to pre-order it, so why not? why risk having to wait for a new shipment to come out simply because Jadlakha here doesn't think pre-orders are necessary?

Judging by the rest of your posts you probably just enjoy being grumpy and cynical, oh well.
Old August 22, 2001, 01:54   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:41
Rob a bank, Father Beast

Seriously, maybe you can find some moonlighting for extra $$$.
Old August 22, 2001, 03:07   #15
JellyDonut
Prince

Two words: metal detector

No seriously, just do odd things to save/earn a dollar a day, i.e. recycle cans on the ground, sell some old **** lying around the house, pick up coins, etc. and my little secret: when the cashier isn't looking pick up a few cents from the give a penny, take a penny tray: if s/he catches you, say something like "I contribute to this thing regularly"

P.S. Have you considered pimping?

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old August 22, 2001, 03:54   #16
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 07:41
Father Beast

i'm sorry to hear that you are having hard times, i hope things get better for you soon...however as soon as i get bored with my copy of civ3 i will mail it to you, so that means you can expect it around christmas

christmas 2004 that is

happy belated birthday whenever it was!
Old August 22, 2001, 04:05   #17
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Rob a bank, Father Beast
If you are ready to do that for a game, what are you ready to do for a life saver drug?

"Mr. President, listen carefully, because my words are backed by nuclear weapons!"
Old August 22, 2001, 05:28   #18
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
Hey Father Beast, if I can buy the game then you can do it, too.
Listen: I have a monthly salary of aprox. 200 $ a month! No, no, I didn't forget any zero, it's 2 hundred/month!!. (that is, Eastern Europe; what can I do? Go west and steal your jobs ? )
So, Father Beast, be prepared to buy Civ3 because I'm going to buy it, no matter what!

Am I a Civ fanatic or what ?
Old August 22, 2001, 05:35   #19
rixxe
Prince

Try to get a copy of the game, until you have enough money to buy the original,... I know it's a bit loosy to play a copy, but, if it's the only solution,...
Old August 22, 2001, 08:23   #20
Father Beast
King

My job just came through with a chance to make a bit more money by driving a load for an overnight run. it'll keep me gone for 2 days, but will pay better than the 8-4 I regularly do.

WOW! I guess when it's really important, things really do turn up!

Oh ,and my birthday was on sunday, I guess I didn't let the authorities know so it would show up in the birthdays file or whatever. Maybe next year......

Old August 22, 2001, 15:55   #21
kittenOFchaos
Prince

1. I wonder WHAT you are shipping that is so valuable...
2. Why do't you sell your cargo and say you were robbed by a gang of hells-angels?

You are sitting in the cab and behind you is a fortune of goods and you think you can allow yourself to go civless into the night!

:banned:
Old August 22, 2001, 19:09   #22
jadlakha
Warlord

Re: I am BROKE, BROKE, BROKE
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

There isn't any reason not to pre-order it, so why not? why risk having to wait for a new shipment to come out simply because Jadlakha here doesn't think pre-orders are necessary?

Judging by the rest of your posts you probably just enjoy being grumpy and cynical, oh well.
Well If u look at the original post that started this thread, there IS a reason to not preorder.
Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast

I have a job, but I don't have near the extra that I used to have. In fact, I don't have any extra at all!

maybe if I embezzle 5$ every couple of weeks, I'll be able to swing it. maybe they'll have a really good sale at media play.
The reason is if you dont got enough money. Basically I was just trying to reassure the guy that no need to save up for a preorder. I am sure he will have enough money by the time the game is out so no need to save up quickly just to preorder.
Old August 22, 2001, 19:20   #23
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

You don't need to pay untill you actually get the game, though it helps to deposit a bit if you are reserving a copy at a store, so that someone else doesn't get their hands on it before you.