Old August 21, 2001, 10:43   #1
Alfonsus71
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Culture and information
One new amazing thing in Civ3 is that each civ should have its own citizens and when a city is occupied, the invader would have to deal with many inproductive and problematic "loyals" to their former goverment. As far as I know, the Cultural points of one civ increases the chance of keep loyal/being asimilated.

My idea is that if you lost a city to an enemy civ, but you still have loyal citizens in, you should have complete access to information about that city (specially enemy troops that are in) . It´s logical to consider that loyal citizens work for you as "resistance". That cities (depending on the number of loyal citizens and on your culture points) could also randomly generate some partisans units on mountains or woods close to the city while you are at war with the invader, that you could use to try to recover the city or to hostigate enemy supply line in their advance into your territory. That will also speed up the invader´s efforts to take control of the city before further advance, making the invasion of a big territory harder, except if you are dealing with a civilization with few cultural points compared with yours. I guess that´s historical and funny.
Old August 21, 2001, 10:51   #2
XarXo
Prince

What happens if a city has changed 29 times of civilization? New York nationalist sytle?
Old August 21, 2001, 11:01   #3
Rommel393
Warlord

Local Time: 06:42
This is going to add a very realistic and fun element to war in civ. I can't wait.... firaxis my hat is off to you.
Old August 21, 2001, 12:19   #4
Alfonsus71
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
What happens if a city has changed 29 times of civilization? New York nationalist sytle?
Guess the partisans should appear after some turns of, let´s say, resistance. At least, the city needs time to produce that units and citizens need time to take concience of how evil the invader is. The invader could even prevent partisans appear by a quick reduction of citizens that are loyal to the former goverment.
Another thing to be fixed is population casualties (-1 population point) when a city is taken. I guess than when a city is taken by a "culturally superior" civ, or "liberated" after few turns, there must be no population casualties.
Old August 21, 2001, 12:48   #5
Pagan
Settler

Sounds like a good opportunity for economic warfare.

Here is my answer:

1. Land some good troops.
2. Pillage the infrastructure.
3. Capture the better cities.
4. Destroy the cities’ improvements.
5. Sue for peace.
6. Give back the now worthless cities (after removing your troops).

Their civilization is now back in the economic / cultural stone age and you don’t have to worry about dealing with another countries’ citizens including their partisans, foreign languages, etc.

You no longer have to worry about protecting your newly conquered empire and the loosing civilization won’t be a problem for a long time to come.

In the modern era, it is extremely difficult and expensive to hold onto conquests in distant locations and/or of foreign cultures.
Old August 25, 2001, 09:45   #6
BlackStone
Chieftain

La la

BlackStone supporting our troops