Local Time: 07:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Windows ME compatibility?
Old August 22, 2001, 21:42   #2
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 22:44
Most games are MS Windows Me compatible, they would proberly play better on Windows Me that an other OS. If you have Windows Me, i envy you.
Old August 22, 2001, 21:44   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:44
CIV3 will be FULLY supported for Windows ME.

Operating System: Windows® 95/98/Me/2000
Mac® Version coming soon.
Processor: Pentium® II 300MHz
Memory: 32 MB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 400 MB free hard drive
(+50 for swapfile)
CD-ROM Drive: 4X Speed or higher
Video: DirectX® 8.0a-compatible video card* (must be able to display
1024x768x16 bit)
Sound: DirectX® 8.0a-compatible sound card*
DirectX: DirectX® version 8.0a (included) or higher

* Indicates device should be compatible with DirectX® version 8.0a or higher.
Old August 22, 2001, 21:47   #4
ancient
Prince

im more concerned about windows xp support..
Old August 22, 2001, 21:52   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ancient
im more concerned about windows xp support..
LOL Ancient! I too have the prelease version of Windows XP (having a Microsoft Certified Professional/Trainer as a roommate has its advantages )

I have full confidence that CIV3 will be compatible with Windows XP.
Old August 22, 2001, 22:05   #6
n.c.
Emperor

Wittlich- Sounds like I could have found that one my own- oops. Thanks, though. I'm just pissed at M$ for making ME and forcing it on my Dell.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
If you have Windows Me, i envy you.
Don't. The rest of the world has not caught up to it (thus the paranoia demostrated by this thread).
Old August 22, 2001, 22:20   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Actually, when I bought my latest computer (IBM Netvista) it came with Windows ME. I took me exactly 2 days before I loaded Windows 2000 Professional on it. I for one, am not really impressed with ME. I REALLY like 2000 though.

IBM is getting smart, since when I ordered my new system, the operating system is already programmed onto the hard drive - no software that I can copy...so I really couldn't reformat my harddrive (and loose all the drivers inherent into ME)....So I went out and bought an 80 GB harddrive, added it to my machine and put Windows 2000 on that. So now my system is duel bootable - of course, Windows 2000 is my default.

As far as XP goes, I have that on another machine. I like the added features of XP, but I still gravitate to my Windows 2000 Professional. I know, I'm a creature of habit and familiarity!
Old August 22, 2001, 23:19   #8
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex 14
Most games are MS Windows Me compatible, they would proberly play better on Windows Me that an other OS. If you have Windows Me, i envy you.
Windows ME is not so great. It is the most inefficient memory managing O/S out there. It only recognized 512MB of RAM. It will use MS generic drivers for any device it can. Really sucks for TBS games as the memory manager will start using the virtual memory even though the ram is only half loaded.
Old August 22, 2001, 23:56   #9
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
IBM is getting smart, since when I ordered my new system, the operating system is already programmed onto the hard drive - no software that I can copy...so I really couldn't reformat my harddrive (and loose all the drivers inherent into ME)
What are you talking about, Wittlich? IBM has always done it this way. You get all the software preinstalled, plus a number of CDs from which you can restore the system.

I don't see any problem with wiping off the old OS. I used to do that on some of my old jobs: replacing Windoze 9x with Windoze NT 5. The only driver you really need is the network card driver. Everything else can be found on the Net
Old August 23, 2001, 00:12   #10
Sparky
Warlord

Location: DC, Cleveland, Charlotte, Cimarron. Take your pick!
ME? LOL! Wipe that off your computer now. Even 98 is more stable. Get 2000 -- it's the best Windows yet.
Old August 23, 2001, 00:51   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

What are you talking about, Wittlich? IBM has always done it this way. You get all the software preinstalled, plus a number of CDs from which you can restore the system.

I don't see any problem with wiping off the old OS. I used to do that on some of my old jobs: replacing Windoze 9x with Windoze NT 5. The only driver you really need is the network card driver. Everything else can be found on the Net
IBM USE to give you the additional CDs along with the preload operating system...however, times change. I direct-bought my NETVISTA from IBM last December and NO additional CDs where included to restore the system. I called IBM and asked them about this. Their answer - Nope. If you need to reload, just hit the f11 key when the system is booting up.

I still wanted to keep the option of booting into Windows ME (for what ever reason), so the easiest work around was getting an addtional hard drive and placing Windows 2000 Professional on it.
Old August 23, 2001, 01:01   #12
imgod2u
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:44
WinME is based on the same crappy core as Win95/98 so anything that runs on Win98 will run on WinME. Although why the hell you would ever run such a piece of crap OS, I will never know. WinXP rules!
Old August 23, 2001, 01:15   #13
Urban Ranger
Deity

I have no idea what you have bought, Wittlich. A friend of mine just bought an IBM box and he still received three CD's. Hm, five, come to think of it.

If you get to press a function key to reload the system, it seems like that they have merely put the whole thing in an area on the HDD. It is implausible they have stuck the whole thing in Flash ROM.
Old August 23, 2001, 01:21   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

I'm under the same impression UR - I believe that IBM placed the preload/reload on a potion of my harddrive (C), so I didn't want to format the drive and lose the entire ME preload. This is why I am now using the WIN2000 on my D: Drive.

And you are right it is highly implausible that IBM would place the entire operating system in Flash ROM.
Old August 25, 2001, 09:44   #15
BlackStone
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:44
La la

BlackStone supporting our troops
Old August 25, 2001, 11:10   #16
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:44
WinXP rules!

I have full confidence that CIV3 will be compatible with Windows XP

Excuse my ignorance, but is XP the next in the series of Windowsesque Operating systems. If so when is it due for release?

I am getting a new computer soon and would like to know if its worth waiting for the new OS so as to get it "free" with the computer. I would go for another operating system if you can recommend a good one compatible with popular software.
Old August 25, 2001, 13:15   #17
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
WinXP rules!

I have full confidence that CIV3 will be compatible with Windows XP

Excuse my ignorance, but is XP the next in the series of Windowsesque Operating systems. If so when is it due for release?

I am getting a new computer soon and would like to know if its worth waiting for the new OS so as to get it "free" with the computer. I would go for another operating system if you can recommend a good one compatible with popular software.
XP release is still Oct 25. It went gold this week and is shipping to computer maker as you read this. Computers with XP can't be shipped until release date, but any computer you buy now that has 2K or ME should come with an upgrade deal. That is what MS did for ME, you bought a computer with 98SE on it and got a certificate to get ME for shipping costs when it was released. Ask about the program when you buy, it should be available.
Old August 25, 2001, 14:18   #18
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparky
ME? LOL! Wipe that off your computer now. Even 98 is more stable. Get 2000 -- it's the best Windows yet.
I have never regreted my decision to upgrade from Win98, 2:nd edition, to WinME. Everything was/is noticeably more stable, and I have never encounted any op-related game-problems.

Although Win-2000 is the best choice when it comes to Win-programs, most game-magazines have warned about game-related compability-problems. It was a while ago I read this - maybe its better know.

As for Win-XP. Well, I dont like the internet & hardware dependent licence-procedure. I often upgrade my hardware gradually step-by-step, and I format my harddisk & reinstall my system from time to time. As I have come to understand it, you get just a few chances to re-license WinXP - then its over.
Old August 25, 2001, 14:58   #19
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Thanx Swissy.

After all the bad reviews I heard about ME I thought it might be better to wait. I'll check with the retailers to see what's occuring re upgrades..
Old August 25, 2001, 18:15   #20
Swissy

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
linux only "sux" to those people too feeble minded to use it.
No, Linux only sux to those wanting an IT job in the US. There are 50 jobs for techs who know MS junk to every one job for a tech who knows Linux.
Old August 25, 2001, 20:17   #21
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 12:44
The *AMAIZING* Windows XP and CIVILIZATION III at the SAME TIME!!!! My Fall will be FULL of visits in the Software Shop!!!

Now, a sincerely recommendation, if you're a PC user BUY WINDOWS XP, is BY FAR better than Windows Millenium Edition and (yes, too!) Windows 2000 !!! (*LinuX SuX*)

You *MUST* buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 25, 2001, 20:37   #22
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

::prays for linux port::

linux only "sux" to those people too feeble minded to use it.

::glares::

darn those year long uptimes.

i'm so sad my box doesn't crash every few hours.

i love being probed and reminded of "auto-updates".

big brother micro$hit is watching.
Old August 26, 2001, 07:00   #23
Urban Ranger
Deity

The thing about XP is that it is a resource hog. You need 256MB RAM just to run the damn OS

Krux,

You sound like an MIT geek all right
Old August 26, 2001, 07:07   #24
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
The thing about XP is that it is a resource hog. You need 256MB RAM just to run the damn OS
I have 384MB so it works fine for me. I have WinXP/WinME dual-boot system on my computer, but I spend virtually all my time running Windows XP, its hundreds of times more stable than WinME or even Win98 SE, plus the majority of games can be played using it.