Old August 23, 2001, 14:29   #1
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 06:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You guys are going to Civ3, right?
For the past year, I have been going on and on in the Civ3 forum of the importance of customization and how custom scenarios and 'modpacks' are the primary thing I will look for (and imo, the important feature) in Civ3. I think some folks over there are getting very tired of me replying, "just build or download the [fill in the blank] if you don't like the way it looks or play" to just about everything. My question to this community (which I highly respect) is, you are planning on developing many scenarios and custom files for Civ3? I would hope that would be the case since it appears that Civ3 offers more flexibility in the types of scenarios with its different modes of winning (among others).
Old August 23, 2001, 16:00   #2
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 14:45
Well, currently we have only Fireaxis´promises about the customization of Civ3. If they keep them I have no doubts that there will be enough mods or scns for the game...
Old August 23, 2001, 16:15   #3
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 13:45
A definitely good thing: we wil be able to set games with 16 civs simultaneos civs, though the game menus won't support it.

Also, I think that designers will get cool effects if they toy appropriately with the civ specific units and great leaders ideas.

PS: Bernd, did you get my response to your PM?
Old August 23, 2001, 16:18   #4
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 14:45
No.Civ2 for ever.
Old August 23, 2001, 18:23   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 07:45
Depends on if the regular game's anygood. if it sucks, nobody will bother trying to make scenarios or anything.
Old August 23, 2001, 18:57   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 22:45
I personally have high hopes for Civ3, and one of the first things I do after purchasing it is to check out its scenario design features. If they're good (as I suspect they will be) then I'll abandon Civ 2 forever.

On the other hand, If the scenario design aspects suck, I might flee to the hills with my copy of Civ 2 and heroically resist the Civ 3 onslaught until Fixaris commandos come after me with dogs and helicopters...

edit: The hills around Canberra are currently covered in snow, so I think I'll cancel plans to set up the 'Civ 2 Popular People's Front'
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Last edited by Case; August 23, 2001 at 19:11.
Old August 24, 2001, 01:06   #7
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 04:45
I don't think I'll be buying it... Hell, ToT is so much better than the FW and MGE crap yet all the new scenarios are for them. Probably the same thing will happen for Civ3. People are lazy, ToT is harder for creation than MGE/FW, and I'm sure with fancy graphics and the lot, civ3 will be harder than ToT. Sure you might get a fantastic scenario or two from a Harlan Thompson, but that'll be it. I live in California, I've got more important things to spend my money on like high gas prices, electricity and taxes for Gay Davis.
Old August 24, 2001, 01:30   #8
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 20:45
My guess would be that the initial scenario tools/options for civ3 will be rather limited and not what everyone had hoped for, possibly to be rectified in a later "expansion". However, even if it has multiple undreamed-of abilities beyond the ken of mortal men, it'll still take a lot of getting used to (OTOH of course there won't be any bugs though ). Civ2 will be around for some time to come IMO

[Edit: Typo's, darned typo's]
Old August 24, 2001, 02:11   #9
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I'll buy it, for sure. But I'll have to evaluate its' scenario making capabilities. I think making scenarios is the most fascinating and challenging thing about civ, and ToT has the most untapped potential of any game in that respect. I don't really care if anyone plays them, as long as I'm satisfied with my effort. So maybe a certain right wing Hungarian and I will have to swap ToT scenarios until well into our golden years! (And I may be in my golden years by the time I actually finish one)
Old August 24, 2001, 10:53   #10
Spanky
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:45
Hey Techumseh,

Don't mean to seem pushy, but how's 'Blood and Iron' coming along? (Asked you before on my thread once, but didn't get a reply).

As I've said before, the preview looked really good, and the scenario might make me buy ToT.
Old August 24, 2001, 15:02   #11
techumseh
Emperor

It's on hold still. I have a number of ToT projects on the go, including B&I, Indochina, Warlords of China, The Matrix and Barsoom. I've promised myself that I'll get Barsoom done before Civ3 is released. With William Keenans' able assistance, I think I'll be able to do it.

After that, I don't know, Indochina and Warlords are now much farther along than B&I. Bernd Brosing made some great units for Blood and Iron awhile back, and if anyone else wanted to help, I'm sure it could be moved up the queue.
Old August 24, 2001, 15:48   #12
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 04:45
Right-winged is an understatement.
Old August 25, 2001, 00:05   #13
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
After that, I don't know, Indochina and Warlords are now much farther along than B&I. Bernd Brosing made some great units for Blood and Iron awhile back, and if anyone else wanted to help, I'm sure it could be moved up the queue.
Iwould be willing to offer any help I could for a look at those BeBro units. Also, I want to see a good Indochina scenario.
Old August 25, 2001, 19:05   #14
techumseh
Emperor

That sounds fine. I assume you've got ToT. What are you interested in doing?