Old August 23, 2001, 16:00   #1
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Holding Russia together
As far as Im concerned, after you annex the south (Golden Horde, Astrakahn, Ryazan, Sibir and Crimea) In the IGC. The Revolts make it impossible to actually hold them..Even tho the provinces make Russia wealthy.

Seems like they rebel every other year or when go to war with somebody ...HUGE hassle, no matter ho wmuch times you supress the revolt......

Another Question, Why the hell dont the colonys revolt
faded glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2001, 13:12   #2
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 09:45
Try altering the religious tolerance... it worked for me.
Dr. Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2001, 07:24   #3
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:45
El Awrence is right, just set the tolerance for Catholics to zero and bump up the Islamic tolerance.
Old August 25, 2001, 19:38   #4
faded glory
King

Yea, I tryed it, it worked (somewhat). Tho when the Catholics began invading the borders from poland into Tula, Llubujena and Ryazan it had to be altered.

Btw, actually I think im over stretching Russia. When you conquer the Khanites. do any of you actually Annex Sibir? Is it even worth it? Sibir is just lifeless land, made of lots of natives and rebelous population.

So I should from now on probably leave Sibir out of the equasion. just take the other Nations.
Old August 26, 2001, 00:47   #5
Hans2
Prince

Re: Holding Russia together
Quote:
Originally posted by Saddam
As far as Im concerned, after you annex the south (Golden Horde, Astrakahn, Ryazan, Sibir and Crimea) In the IGC. The Revolts make it impossible to actually hold them..Even tho the provinces make Russia wealthy.

Seems like they rebel every other year or when go to war with somebody ...HUGE hassle, no matter ho wmuch times you supress the revolt......

Another Question, Why the hell dont the colonys revolt
First of all, you shouldn't have any revolts in GH, Astrakahn, Ryazan, or Kazan. Revolts are caused by many things, Tax Collectors (when you promote Balliffs), Religous tolerances, and nationalism to name a few. Now, you shouldn't have the tax collectors if you just conquered this land, or at least not too many. Since the above mentioned countries have all orthodox provinces, you shouldn't have problems with religion either. Nationalism shouldn't be a problem either. If you look at the country view (the middle map view) you should see your shield on a bunch of provinces. Any pronvinces that has your shield on it you have a claim to, and therefore if you conquer it you won't have any nationalism problems. If you conquer a province without one of you shields on it, the revolt risk is automaticaly at least 3% for a few years. It gradually goes down to 2, then 1, and then 0. There's nothing you can do about it until it goes away.

Another major factor in revolt risk is stability. If your stability is less than 0 your in big trouble. Always keep it at 3 or as close as possible. Another hint, in the province info window, if you hold your cursor over the revolt risk a breakdown of the different factors affecting it will pop up.
Hans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2001, 11:47   #6
JosefGiven
Warlord

Re: Holding Russia together
Quote:
Originally posted by Saddam
Another Question, Why the hell dont the colonys revolt ...
I believe the size of revolts is related to the size of the population of the territory where the revolt is happening. There is a lower population threshold which cannot support a revolt of any size. This is why you sometimes see the "Revolt in such-and-such a province!" message pop-up, only to zoom across to it to find that all is well.
JosefGiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2001, 17:18   #7
faded glory
King

Yea that happened just the other day. In Canada 2 provinces rebeled, and I scroll over. Theres nothing wrong or there a red flag over the city, with no troops.

I have seen a rebel army of 100 men ..

So what about my other question? Should Russia even bother annexing Sibir?
Old August 28, 2001, 18:07   #8
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 07:45
Colonies can rebel. It is extremely annoying when the most isolated places revolt. Like Hawaii.
Old August 29, 2001, 03:01   #9
Hans2
Prince

Annex Sibir? Yes. All of there provinces except the capitol are under 5,000 anyways, so you can convert with colonists. Sibir is your gateway to Siberia. No matter if you play a warmongering Russia or a peacefull one, you need to colonize Siberia to be successful.
Hans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2001, 19:16   #10
Allemand
Warlord

After taking Kazan, Golden Horde, and Astrakhan in the first 3-4 years, you might wait until later to take Sibir. I usually wait until I have artillery, then declare war on Teutonic Order. This will usually result in Sweden, Poland, Crimea, Sibir, and sometimes Persia declaring war on Russia. I can then take three provinces from each of these countries without affecting my badboy rating (except against Teutonic Order). Later, I do it again. In the first 20 years I will have conquered about 40 provinces and the badboy number is in the low twenties.
Allemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2001, 22:13   #11
Bearcat
King

I've never had any luck trying to conquer Kazan
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2001, 10:17   #12
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 08:45
"Colonies can rebel. It is extremely annoying when the most isolated places revolt. Like Hawaii."

-You think that's annoying, build a lv. 6 fortress on Corsica, and watch it revolt... tell me that's not annoying.

Also, ever try to annex the Netherlands just after they finish their war with Spain? You're better off letting a couple provinces be in rebel hands until the Dutch nationalism (+42) dies down. I seriously killed more than their population in rebels before I figured that one out.

"Annex Sibir? Yes. All of there provinces except the capitol are under 5,000 anyways, so you can convert with colonists. Sibir is your gateway to Siberia. No matter if you play a warmongering Russia or a peacefull one, you need to colonize Siberia to be successful."

-Maybe, but I've taken over Sibir as France before, thanks to the vacant Caspian Sea side provinces, just kept buuilding those up and built armies there then annexed Sibir in a bloody war. Eventually I hit Russia from both sides, but since it was a major power I never managed to keep Moscow. I had it surrounded though.

"Later, I do it again. In the first 20 years I will have conquered about 40 provinces and the badboy number is in the low twenties."

-Are you suggesting this is a good thing? The only way to take over the world is if you get people to wreck their stability declaring war on you. I once had it so high, that my allies were the only people I could trust, of course by that point I owned enough of the world to take the rest on.
Old September 8, 2001, 11:09   #13
Shadowstrike
Emperor

World conquest is too ey.... I stopped after taking out P-L and Sweden as Russia before 1505! Ah well, try playing without having you're BB over 10 all game.... and play Brandenburg and try to unify ewrmany.
Old September 8, 2001, 16:23   #14
faded glory
King

That is difficult if not impossible. To Unify Germany? I tried twice with Saxony and once with Hannover. I took Thurginnem, Baden, Wurtemburg, Paltitant and after beat Brandenburg I went to annex it, POLAND- LITHUANA DECLARES WAR (with france and austrian Spanish allies)!

After that, I could only delay the onslaught. eventually they moved on my capitol, and Spain annexed my only allies in Hessen and Kleves. Of course at this point I gave up, with only a ragged army of about 7k left and 2 provinces

And once I tried with Brandenburg. But that did not go well because poland had CB against me, and my foray annexation of Saxony didnt last long
Old September 9, 2001, 18:06   #15
Shadowstrike
Emperor

It requires a lot of using the other religion CB thingy, feeding nations to one of the strong nation then ripping it back, and careful diploannexing. I think I got down to only Holstein once, but that was a long time ago....
Old September 11, 2001, 08:06   #16
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 13:45
Yes annex sibir! Russia is the easiest country to play, your infantry costs next to nothing, your economy is strong, especially after you take the Khanates. Revolts shouldn't be a real problem beofre the time of toubles (which can be quite nasty, espeically if most of Europe is Russian )

Unifying Germany isn't really that hard ethie, don't take on Saxony right away (they have a better army than you) , wait until Poland gets into a nasty war and then stab them in the back taking Danzig and Western Prussia, then You can Vasilise Prussia which will give you two more provinces when you annex them (although you might want to just keep them as vassals), then look north (I assume you are playing the IGC), Pormmenia and the Hansa are good targets. Having gobbled up this little lot you should be well placed to take over the rest in whatever order you like.

Its also a good idea to ally with Hessen, The Palainat and Hannover early on (they all like you so it shouldn't be hard) they are good for the inevitable wars with Poland and will happily send troops to die for you
C0ckney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2001, 18:30   #17
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I would also like to remind you of the 10 BB limit and staying within those boundaries. The Catholic, non-Catholic BB thing is a nice way around it though.
Old September 12, 2001, 20:15   #18
faded glory
King

Or just wait till they convert to reformed or protestant . Then they are easssy prey
Old September 15, 2001, 18:13   #19
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Well, first you go Protestant, conquer all the catholics then you go back catholic to grab the protestant nations..... Hey, its 1 BB a province, if you can get them together in an alliance which you have a CB on.