Chieftain

Local Time: 13:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Scenario's?
Has anyone ideas for civ 3 scenarios?
Old August 23, 2001, 20:52   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:47
-Prehistoric
-Ancient
-Medieval (china/japan/europe)
-Renaissance
-Age of Discovery
-Voyage of Magellan (surefire hit!)
-Age of Colonization
-Modern Era
-Futuristic

Within each bullet there are innumbrable ideas for scenarios. With the exception of poor Magellan
Old August 24, 2001, 12:52   #3
K.J.H.
Chieftain

I hope that the create-your-own-units part is easy to learn
Old August 24, 2001, 14:37   #4
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 08:47
I would hope there is in easy way to convert existing civ2 scenarios with minimal adjustments. Then the next step would be to go through those and find ones where the new features add the most to gameplay - think clearly it is in the scenario world where civ attributes can actually add benefits. Culture and trade could also be very interesting for some.

If no easy way to convert than it will be a matter of creating new scenarios from scratch, using concepts (in some cases) from existing scenarios.

Much depends on the nature of scenario tools, events and triggers,etc.

I must say that at the moment the uncertainty has impacted my own scenario projects. I have never developed a scenario, and was about to start. At this point it doesnt seem to make sense to learn with the possibility of major changes. Instead i am writing a tech description file for an exisiting scen. that would be readily transferable to civ3, and the historic research skills are generalizeable.

LOTM
Old August 28, 2001, 08:25   #5
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 04:47
There's already an extensive thread on this subject at:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1

We'd love input on any of the scenarios posted there including one proposed by a Fireaxian. Tell us what you think...
Old August 28, 2001, 08:38   #6
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 14:47
I’ve made several personal scenarios in civ2, I intend to re-create them in civ3 and maybe release it for a wider public.
The problem is that I won’t have a library of suitable art at hand in the beginning so I hope the more advanced graphics won’t deter many people from creating new art.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old August 28, 2001, 09:48   #7
Adm.Naismith
King

Every some months the same question emerge from the dark, deep sea of our missing info about Civ III

Then, just in case someone missed it and really need to know, repost an old classic of mine: The Mostly Pacific Scenario list.

Quote:
Once again, I post here my humble suggestion I already wrote on the CTP II forum about the same subject; I left some reference about CTP II proposal, just for history (new name of lazyness ).

I see almost every proposed scenario focused on war. While I agree that fighting (in games) can be very fun, I think that limiting CIV III as a wargame is not making great use of its engine.

I support ideas as Cold War, Napoleon, or after Nuclear exchange Fallout-like, still I would like to see some scenario where war is not the main backbone.

Just to suggest some themes:

1) run to the Moon (discover the needed tech on appropriate tech tree, with or without other countries help, and having enough production points for enough time).
It could be a variant of the Build the starship to Alpha Centauri, but starting right in modern era (after WWII).

2) italian renaissance (some little states deeply involved in trade, diplomatic move and limited fights, while arts and sciences grow to industrialization)

3) age of explorations (some limited and dedicated exporer units must survey - and survive to native encounter - every square of the globe)

4) save the earth (quickly solve a scenario where production is growth so high that pollution is almost out of control. Tune down production, improve eco-enhancement, clean up polluted area and save the world from global warming, trading and treating with less developed country to join your efforts). Added difficult: manage a (insert your opinion as adjective here) USA leader that don't care of world pollution as if he'll live on Mars ten years from today

5) world peacekeeping (stop every war using diplomacy, money or - as a last resource - your U.N. peacekeeping forces - in a defined turn limit, with the limit to free back every city you conquer in a few turns - you can't conquer the world just to force the peace)

May be my suggestion are a bit crazy and have some limits to be implemented in an interesting way, but I would like to suggest a different point of view about common (war) scenario approach.
Old August 28, 2001, 19:50   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

4 and 5 sound fairly good
Old August 28, 2001, 20:11   #9
isaac brock
Warlord

Local Time: 07:47
Mostly Pacific Scenarios my ass. We all know what Civ is intended for. WAR! If the people want war, give them war, not some crappy "renaissance."

WAR!

WAR!

WAR!
Old August 28, 2001, 20:17   #10
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:47
Don't "sugar coat" it Isaac Brock - What are you really trying to say?
Old August 28, 2001, 20:40   #11
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

I'd like to see...
some scenario's based on the improved trade system, like the colonization of the new world
Old August 28, 2001, 20:41   #12
isaac brock
Warlord

Just because you do this doesn't make it a good call

P.S. The gloves are off
Old August 28, 2001, 20:53   #13
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by isaac brock
Just because you do this doesn't make it a good call
of course your entitled to your own opinion, even if its the wrong one.
Old August 28, 2001, 20:57   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:47
Aw come on Isaac, I'm sorry if I've insulted you... that was not my intention. I'm only human, and I couldn't resist ruffling your fur a bit - we're ALL on the same side here, hopeing that CIV3 will be one of the greatest of all time stategy games...but you ARE right though, we all (to a certain extent) have our own hopes and fears about the final product. Still friends? or at least fellow forum members?
Old August 28, 2001, 21:00   #15
isaac brock
Warlord

Hey, It looks like homosexual anti-semitic slave-owning child molestors are quite welcome to their own opinion too.
Old August 28, 2001, 21:03   #16
isaac brock
Warlord

okay, well, maybe that last post was a little bit over the top, H Tower. I apologize, because Jesus teaches forgiveness.
Old August 28, 2001, 21:08   #17
H Tower

Quote:
okay, well, maybe that last post was a little bit over the top, H Tower. I apologize, because Jesus teaches forgiveness.
that's ok, cause i'm not any of those. i just think there are plenty of good war scenarios out their already for civ2. and i know tons of war scenarios are going to be made, in fact i'll probably try making a few myself but i also want a scenario or too that makes use of the new features available instead of just remaking civ2 scenarios for civ3
Old August 28, 2001, 21:46   #18
Brent
Prince

I want scenarios about colonizing Mars and the Moon, with other civs from earth to compete with. Also I want a battle between several nearby star systems.

I want a scenario where you play either the Semites, Hamites, or the Japhethites colonizing the world. I want a scenario of the Israelite Exodus and Colonization of Canaan.
Old August 29, 2001, 01:14   #19
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Mostly Pacific Scenarios my ass. We all know what Civ is intended for. WAR! If the people want war, give them war, not some crappy "renaissance."

WAR!
Isaac, take your notebook and write down a hundred times: "Civ as a real wargame is very poor or, putting it in a single word, it $uck$

Any dedicated wargamer can see this a mile away: no limited ammunition, no supply line, no units maintenance, no decent stack rules, no balancing between sea, air and ground movements...

That's OK for me, because Civ is really much more than a tactical or strategical wargame, is about the raise of a civilization, an empire to be reckon for. I don't want to take away battles from Civ, but (as H Tower write) we have plenty of war scenario available for Civ II, and I'm sure we'll have the best of them translated for Civ III.

Still war scenario can't use Civ to its full potential, because research, ecomic balancing, civil building, happiness trouble, are usually on the background or eliminated.

So, for once, try a different taste: try Pacific scenario.

Brent, AFAIK the limit of Civ map and engine will make really difficult to build a scenario about battle between star systems; better wait for "Stars! Supernova Genesis" or "MOO3", I suppose.

Israelite Exodus and Colonization of Canaan seems interesting: let me know if you ever build it

Last edited by Adm.Naismith; August 29, 2001 at 02:09.
Old August 29, 2001, 01:45   #20
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

I thought I'd make a historical scenario with a title like "East African Trade Empires 500-1800 A.D." just to muck about a bit. My actual project is likely going to be a number of Sci-Fi/Alt. History/Philosophical scenarios, including but not limited to my Giant Maggot Creatures from the Bowels of a Mediaeval Earth-Like Planet fight the Evil Laser-Weilding Robots From Outer Space scenario.
Old August 29, 2001, 02:08   #21
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
My actual project is likely going to be a number of Sci-Fi/Alt. History/Philosophical scenarios, including but not limited to my Giant Maggot Creatures from the Bowels of a Mediaeval Earth-Like Planet fight the Evil Laser-Weilding Robots From Outer Space scenario.
Sounds great!
Old August 29, 2001, 06:57   #22
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

When I first heard of Civ 3 I decided that I would be the one to make a thirty years war scenario for it...
Old August 29, 2001, 09:55   #23
ajbera
Prince

A few ideas of mine...

1) A while back on the Civ2 - Scenarios forum, someone discussed the possibility of creating a Civ2 scenario based on Railroad Tycoon. I don't recall the exact changes that would be made, but the concept and planned execution sounded quite cool. For those seeking a non-martial scenario (well, it would be war, but trade war) this would be a challenging endeavor with the promise of a great payoff if anyone could get it to work.

2) Conquest of the solar system, either in whole or in part. This will be hampered by map limitations (as mentioned by Adm. Naismith) but I think it's possible to work around it (ToT's linked maps would have been perfect for this.) Either conquer inner system (Mercury through Asteroid Belt) or whole system. Make it good, hard science fiction/fact. No fighters zipping through space; travel is slow and dangerous, colonization conditions are very harsh. But imagine the fights for special resources found among the moons of Jupiter and Saturn! Very demanding to design and play, but I've dreamt of a scenario like this for ages.

3) Two variations on a theme - fight for a city. Option 1 - a remake of the Gangster scenario. Several gangs fight it out for control of a major city (with areas ranging from upscale, to ghetto, to commercial district, industrial, etc.), opposed by allied city and federal forces, and perhaps some vigilantes too. Build a thriving crack trade, assemble a stable of ho's (mo' money), and conduct hits on your enemies. Another dream of mine, and something to offend everyone.

Option 2 - medieval-type fantasy, also involving the fight for a city. In a large medieval city, the prince/duke/whatever has just been assassinated. Now, three major groups try to gain control - an assembly of mercenaries and thieves (Machiavellian, end justifies the means, want power), the "good" thieves and allies (hoping to seat a benevolent ruler, the good guys), and a wizard (supernatural evil and revenge, just wants to destroy the city.) Other, smaller groups can represent guilds and other special interests (for alliance purposes only, not as playable factions.) I originally thought this up as a CtP scenario (utilizing the space layer as the Astral Plane), but CtP's scenario tools suck. So, hopefully this can be adapted to Civ3. An epic tale of adventure, this is yet another dream of mine.

4) Germ Warfare. Like Osmosis Jones, the Body has been infected with Germs. Play as either the Body fighting the infection, or the Germs (or Virus) invaders. Tons of fun with snot and pus.

I know most folks will recommend historical scenarios (which are just dandy), but I wanted to throw out some outre ideas. Let me know what y'all think.

P.S. - Harlan Thompson MUST create a Civ3 version of his Lord of the Rings scenario. You listening Harlan? We're counting on you to be your brilliant, hard-working self.
Old August 29, 2001, 10:55   #24
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Speaking of which, Harlan's Mongol sceario, updated for Civ3 would be really cool too...... *Prepares to sack Samarkand*
Old August 29, 2001, 11:15   #25
isaac brock
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
Isaac, take your notebook and write down a hundred times: "Civ as a real wargame is very poor or, putting it in a single word, it $uck$
I hope you know I don't honestly believe that. I would hate to be disrespected by someone as powerful as an admiral. When I made that comment, I was young, and immature. I thought those days would last forever...
Old August 29, 2001, 16:27   #26
K.J.H.
Chieftain

GNOME WARFARE
Once I came up the idea too make a Gnome Civilization Modpack.
I could make Civs like:
Wood Gnomes
Elves
Pixies
Trolls
Smurfs
Lapricauns? (I don't know how to write that, but I mean those Irish gold seeking gnomes)
Goblins

I could make units like:
Work Gnome (Worker)
Builder (Settler)
Ratrider (Horsemen)
Manure Bomb (Cruise Missiles)
Super Glue Bomb (Nuke)
Twig Men (Spearmen)
Toothpick Men (Pikemen)
Toy Tank (Tank)
Toy Car (Mech Infantry)
Birds OR Paper Planes(like the planes)
Rubber ducky (Galleon)
Salmon (Submarine)
Salamander (Trireme)

and wonders like:
Blacksmith (MINOR) (for a good military)
Odin's Sword
Jar of Gold (for a good economy)
Human Trashcan (many food, like the Piramids)

improvements:
Mage House (Computerlab)
Blueberry Farm (Granary)
Bottle of Thinner (away with the glue in no time like the SDI defense)
etc.

I'm just brainstorming ...
Old August 29, 2001, 18:22   #27
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
I hope you know I don't honestly believe that. I would hate to be disrespected by someone as powerful as an admiral. When I made that comment, I was young, and immature. I thought those days would last forever...
Hmmm, a more appropriate word should be "Admiral my ass!" .

Eh, eh, you know I'm not an Admiral, if not for Dendarii mercenary space fleet (check nearest library for Vorkosigan S.F. saga, written by Lois McMaster Bujold, if you like )

I'm old, and probably immature
Old August 30, 2001, 02:10   #28
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Ajbera and Shadowstrike,
Glad that you like my scenarios. I would like to see the Mongols and Lord of the Rings scenarios converted to Civ3 (and Vikings too- I don't think that one was ever properly realized), but I don't know if I have the will to do it. It takes a lot to do something over, and one usually has more enthusiasm doing new things. Redoing these certainly isn't my first priority now.

However, I've decided that what I enjoy doing most in scenario making is the scenario map. Getting the cities just right, the terrain accurate, the trade goods, the army setup, and so on. I really like doing all the research to make that as accurate as can be, yet at the same time fun to play. But the event code writing, the unique artwork, the extensive playtesting and other aspects needed to make things go, I find I often don't have the will to do. Cos of this, there are several Civ2 scenarios I got 90% finished but never quite completed - grr!

Sooo, I would be willing to make the map for the above scenarios, if someone else would do the other stuff. Anyone interested? Lord of the Rings would be very hard to do because of the extensive unique art needed that Civ3 will be lacking (so many non-human units, for starters. Perhaps it would have to have "2D" units). Mongols though, could really benefit by the changes of Civ3. The culture concept would be great especially: imagine conquering huge areas, yet having all your new subjects extremely culturally different and pissed off at you! What a challenge that would be to hold onto your conquests. As your empire grows bigger, your empire gets weaker instead of stronger. I really like that game feature, cos not only is it generally more historically accurate, but I think it will make the game funner. No boring cakewalk victories anymore, cos there's a natural feedback loop (the better you do, the harder it gets).

---

By the way, Admiral, peace scenarios are a good idea, but I actually quite like the war capabilities of the civ series. I'm not a hard-core "grognard" (is that what they call it?) that gets deeply into the supply issues, morale issues, and so forth of battles. I like the simplification that allows you to keep things on the strategic level, instead of getting really tactical. Plus, war games ignore the tech choices, economy choices, management issues, and so forth that are usually the real determinant of who wins and loses wars.
Old August 30, 2001, 04:25   #29
Kurgan
Chieftain

Mediterranean Sea in the II century B.C., and the attempt of colonization of America by the Vikings in "Vineland" against the skaerlings?. Those would be nice scenarios.
Can anybody answer a question? I have no clue about programing or making the animated units, but if it is difficult to create new art and units because the animation, will it be possible to take existing units and "disguise" them painting new armor or clothes over the original maintaining in this way the animation?
Old August 31, 2001, 11:40   #30
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 06:47
I was actually thinking of a project like LOTR on Civ3. With the new game and the movie coming out, I'm sure it would be very well received. I'm finding I also like to specialize, so perhaps one or two others are needed, in particular someone to dig into the technical aspects of modification.