Old September 2, 2001, 13:07   #151
Transcend
Prince

Local Time: 05:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by joseph1944

Do you even realize how many Soviet Generals wanted to start a war with us over the years? And China Top General wrote a few month ago that they should used their Nuc. against us now.
And how about the thousands of US warplans against China? It's just another example of your hypocrisy of setting double standard for the US and rest of the world. And it's this kind of American hypocrisy and arrogance that earned us so many animosities from our European allies. We can't achieve the best interest for nation by being hypocritical and arrogant. I hope you understand the relationship here.

Or you might have been brain-washed too often by right-wing lunatics.
Old September 2, 2001, 19:01   #152
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Transcend

And how about the thousands of US warplans against China? It's just another example of your hypocrisy of setting double standard for the US and rest of the world. And it's this kind of American hypocrisy and arrogance that earned us so many animosities from our European allies. We can't achieve the best interest for nation by being hypocritical and arrogant. I hope you understand the relationship here.
They have their and we have our, so what the big deal. Each and every county on planet Earth have their plans also.
For an American you put out a lot of Anti-American posts, or maybe you are not an American, but just live here in the US.
Have a nice day.

Old September 2, 2001, 20:29   #153
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 13:48
During last couple of year I discovered some interesting info about the "cold war" years. I've not the exact quote of authors of the book and the magazines, I promise I'll search back on request.

The info are about the espionage missions of US Navy submarines and of USAF (and others NATO) planes.
The info where quite detailed, after what it seems to me as a good job of research and interview (of course I should double check everything, but I have only a life to spent ).

Well, the number of times the USA/NATO missions where done against the USSR/Warsav Pact and others "communist nations" is unbelieveble higher than the equivalent number of know missions that the "potential enemies" did.

Read again: not only missions USSR admit (they can lie), but also the number of documented hostile missions the NATO suspect/trace.

It surprised me how often our beloved "democracy protector" NATO armies, (and USA often acting by itself in great secret) where ready to do plenty of hostile missions, often stretching their orders to bully against the "enemy" of an undeclared war.

As that info (anyone can dispute them, of course, but not only by heart) showed, we risked way much more times to provoke a nuclear war than USSR and China.

This is not a post against USA or NATO members: simply a warning against the risk of consider the world nations as all white/black or blu/red (and I'm not speaking of skin, you know).
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old September 2, 2001, 22:15   #154
Transcend
Prince

Local Time: 05:48
Quote:
Originally posted by joseph1944

They have their and we have our, so what the big deal. Each and every county on planet Earth have their plans also.
For an American you put out a lot of Anti-American posts, or maybe you are not an American, but just live here in the US.
Have a nice day.
I am American. Whenever some Euros or Asians started trashing America, I always jumped to its defense. But since I was born in China, I also can't stand Americans trashing China with false accusations.

I'm also strongly against those Americans who appear arrogant, ignorant, and hypocritical before other country's people. Some Americans on this board, such as you, belong to this category. Your argument and attitude don't help the American cause in the slightest and only cause antagonism against our country. If the same attitude is displayed on the government level, then only our national interests will be put in jeopardy.
Old September 2, 2001, 23:52   #155
joseph1944

Hi

Last edited by ; September 3, 2001 at 21:11.

Old September 4, 2001, 02:51   #156
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

BTW Yin, Korea's GDP per Capita is only half that of Holland's. In other words, Korea's economy is crap compared to the west.
Old September 4, 2001, 03:27   #157
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 08:48
EDITED: On second thought, I will not give in to this troll any longer. If he manages something intelligent to say, perhaps then.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Last edited by yin26; September 4, 2001 at 03:35.
Old September 4, 2001, 03:57   #158
Saint Marcus
King

From www.cia.gov

Netherlands

GDP: purchasing power parity - $365.1 billion (1999 est.)
GDP - real growth rate: 3.4% (1999 est.)
GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $23,100 (1999 est.)

South Korea

GDP: purchasing power parity - $625.7 billion (1999 est.)
GDP - real growth rate: 10% (1999 est.)
GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $13,300 (1999 est.)

North Korea

GDP: purchasing power parity - $22.6 billion (1999 est.)
GDP - real growth rate: 1% (1999 est.)
GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $1,000 (1999 est.)

Hmmm....which of these three economies is the strongest? I wonder
Old September 4, 2001, 03:59   #159
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Dear Troll: Take an economics class.

Old September 4, 2001, 04:24   #160
Saint Marcus
King

LOL, and you are talking about my argument style! LOL. you're even worse

Anyhow, I have taken several economy class, both micro and macro economics. But, following your earlier arguments (just scroll up a bit if your memory doesn't serve you that well) that only the total GDP, and perhaps the growth rate, counts then yeah, Korea has a better economy then Holland. But then again, this means that Russia has an economy as strong as South Korea, and Brazil's, India's and China's economies are even better than that! In fact, this means China's economy is the second BEST economy in the world! WOW!!! A GDP 4800 billion USD and a growth rate of 7%!!! How can Germany or Japan possibly compete with that? Go China!

Now my dear Mr.Yin. Please try to give an argument that does not have the word "troll" in it. After all, why lower yourself to my level, right? I mean, someone with your intelect and from such an estemed country can undoubtly present some clear arguments against the rantings of a mere troll. Can't you, Mr.Yin?
Old September 4, 2001, 04:37   #161
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Dear Troll: YOU are using the word "economy" so these are the facts. In terms of world's largest economies, S.Korea is number 13-15 depending on where you look (it was 11 before the Asian crisis and will likely take back that position). And, yes, China is #2. Neatherlands is much, much lower, near 20. In terms of 'importance to the world,' then, whose economy is more important:

S.Korea's or Holland's? Ouch, that must hurt your brain...

Now, perhaps you mean something more SPECIFIC, eh? If so, why not share it with us? Are you talking something like "Quality of Life" or some such thing? Lord knows what the hell you are talking about.

You see, this is your problem: You throw around general statements like "In other words, Korea's economy is crap compared to the west." Unless you use the English language more effectively (but to do that, you have to actually know what you are talking about first), you will continue to look like an idiot.

So, Troll, what are you talking about?

Old September 4, 2001, 05:07   #162
Saint Marcus
King

My my...must be hard not saying troll I guess. Oh well, your choice. Just don't let your Korean pride go to your head. We don't want you to lose any sleep over Korea's economy when another crisis hits them like in 97 and 98. Please refresh my memory...back in 98 when Holland had a growth of 3.8%...how big was Korea's economic growth back then? Minus how much?

Quote:
Hmmmm. Let's see. S.Korea's economy is "crap" yet it has nearly twice the GDP purchasing power parity and nearly 3 times the GDP real growth rate. Look what happens when you spout crap without knowing your facts first.

Unless you want to say that the Neatherlands has and EVEN CRAPPIER economy than S.Korea...which would be true, eh?
If an economy is good or bad(crap) has little to do with it's GDP. According to your earlier posts you weren't saying that Korea's economy is just bigger than Holland's, but you were saying it's less crappy. In other words, less bad means better. Following this logic Brazil has a damn good economy. Same goes for Russia. Really good economies indeed. In other words, my point is, the GDP has little to do with how good an economy is. It should be divided by it's population to get a good picture. In other words, this means you'll have to look at the GDP per capita to get a more accurate picture of the state of a nation's economy.

Quote:
In terms of 'importance to the world,' then, whose economy is more important: S.Korea's or Holland's?
Holland. Netherlands=Europort. Entrance to the European markets for foreign companies. Has most headquarters of foreign companies than any other European nation. Has the biggest seaport in the world, and the 7th-10th biggest airport. And please go check a list of the world's biggest companies. You'll find many more Dutch than Korean companies for sure.
Old September 4, 2001, 05:09   #163
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Poor Troll...contemplates how it could be possible for an ASIAN nation to have the world's second largest (and therefore second most important) economy in the world...he scans his little Western corner of the world and clings to the 'fact' that at least his country's economy is more imporant to the world than that piss-ant Korea's...and yet...NO! Even Korea's economy is twice the size of Holland's and thus more important to the world.

...and his infantile 'The West is Superior' saftely blanket starts to wear at the seams...but don't count him out. His ignorance and arrogance are strong!

Old September 4, 2001, 05:27   #164
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
And please go check a list of the world's biggest companies. You'll find many more Dutch than Korean companies for sure.
Troll never learns (and neither do I, I guess, for continuing this). 'You'll find many more Dutch than Korean companies for sure." Just as you have been sure of a lot of things, eh? Well, this will be your last free lesson from me, as you really should be paying me tuition.

World's Top 500 Companies (rank is last digit):

Neatherlands:
  1. Royal Dutch / Shell Group Petroleum Refining 6
  2. ING Group N.V. Insurance : Life, Health (mutual) 24
  3. ABN AMRO Holding N.V. Banks : Commercial & Savings 74
  4. Royal Philips Electronics Electronics, Electrical Equip. 107
  5. AEGON N.V. Insurance : Life, Health (stock) 151
  6. Rabobank Group Banks : Commercial & Savings 242
  7. Akzo Nobel Chemicals : 402
  8. Royal KNP Telecommunications 426

S.Korea:
  1. Hyundai Motor Company Limited Motor Vehicles and Parts 149
  2. LG International Trading 193
  3. Samsung Life Insurance Co., Ltd. Insurance : Life, Health (stock) Insurance: Life, Health (stock) 222
  4. LG Electronics Electronics, Electrical Equip. 244
  5. Korea Electric Power Utilities, Gas and Electric 300
  6. SK Global Company Limited Trading 362
  7. Pohang Iron & Steel Metals 422

In the Top 500, Holland has 8 and Korea has 7. Yes, Mark, "many more"....I'm sure. You have wasted enough of my time.

Old September 4, 2001, 05:51   #165
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
Poor Troll...contemplates how it could be possible for an ASIAN nation to have the world's second largest (and therefore second most important) economy in the world...he scans his little Western corner of the world and clings to the 'fact' that at least his country's economy is more imporant to the world than that piss-ant Korea's...and yet...NO! Even Korea's economy is twice the size of Holland's and thus more important to the world.
LMAO....God you're so funny. Just because China has 1.2 billion and India has 0.8 billion people it doesn't mean they have a good economy. LOL. God...do they teach THAT over there in Korea? HAHAHA. You're so funny!

BTW, the EU's economy (which can be count as one due to the integration in Europe) is the size of the USA. Therefor China would be #3.

Quote:
In the Top 500, Holland has 8 and Korea has 7. Yes, Mark, "many more"....I'm sure. You have wasted enough of my time
World's Top 100 Companies:

Netherlands:

Royal Dutch / Shell Group Petroleum Refining 6
ING Group N.V. Insurance : Life, Health (mutual) 24
ABN AMRO Holding N.V. Banks : Commercial & Savings 74

Korea:

None

Hmmm. In the Top 100, Holland has 3, and Korea has...ZERO. You're funny Yin...damn funny. Not too bright though. Oh BTW, learn to spell Netherlands. You get it wrong every time.
Old September 4, 2001, 13:44   #166
YefeiPi
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:48
Holy crap, this thread is still going!
Quote:
LMAO....God you're so funny. Just because China has 1.2 billion and India has 0.8 billion people it doesn't mean they have a good economy. LOL. God...do they teach THAT over there in Korea? HAHAHA. You're so funny!

BTW, the EU's economy (which can be count as one due to the integration in Europe) is the size of the USA. Therefor China would be #3.
ROFLMAO, you think China's economy is weak? Are you joking, even at its current stage, its GDP is world's second largest. Need I to mention it's still growing at a freaky rate? That is why U.S is very worried about China because its growth (not in population that is) in all areas. I don't know know about the Indian's economy and I don't care.

Also, Mark L, when you say just because China has 1.2 billion people, it doesn't mean they have a good economy? What kind of logic is that? You are messed up in the head I think! When you have population that large, of course it will be harder for people to find jobs! I mean it's not like tiny European nations with small population where are even left over jobs for immigrants to fill up! When a nation is large (land and population), it is naturally more difficult to manage economically.
Old September 4, 2001, 13:47   #167
YefeiPi
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:48
Quote:
Oh BTW, learn to spell Netherlands. You get it wrong every time.
People spell the way they like it, I mean it's not like you don't mispell things. Who would know how to NETHERLANDS anyway?
Old September 4, 2001, 14:20   #168
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
Also, Mark L, when you say just because China has 1.2 billion people, it doesn't mean they have a good economy? What kind of logic is that? You are messed up in the head I think!
Let me take three of the world's top 10 in size of GDP. China, India and Brazil. Extreme poverty of millions of people, extreme unemployement, low GDP per capita, millions of people starving to death, millions of people living in slums (like Rio), high crime rates, etc. Some of these examples apply more to one country than the other, but all in all it is rediculous to say that these countries have a good economy, or at least, an economy better than, say, Canada. That completely rediculous! How can Third World countries with such extreme poverty among millions of people can be considered having some of the world's best economies. That's just too stupid for words. The only reason they are high on the list is because of their massive populations, and not because of their economic achievenemts. Anyone saying China, India and Brazil have a better or equal economy to Canada, Germany or Great Britain must be totally insane.
Old September 4, 2001, 20:10   #169
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Where in any of this have I said "Good Economy"? Hmmm? Can you not tell the difference between the words "Good" and "Largest"? One is about quality (per capita) while the other is about quantity (in relation to the world). One is of LOCAL importance while the other is of GLOBAL importance. So quit talking about local issues when we are talking about global influence, eh?

And by the way, per capita is a simple measure gained by dividing by the number of people in a nation. Thus, if you have very few, the number is higher. But how does that AT ALL correlate to that nations importance to the outside world? It doesn't. Period.

Further, that number does not mean that each person sees that amount of money on average. A nation like Kuwait sees a vast majority of the money in very, very few hands. Yet, this is not relfected in per capita. Nor are the internal facilities and services offered to the nation's citizens.

As you see, it is much easier for a tiny nation to provide for its people and have a great per capita rating. That rating in terms of world importance is MEANINGLESS! The city of Seoul by itself has 1/3 more people than the ENTIRE population of the Netherlands! LOL!

Now I ask you, the loss of which market would hurt the world more? The loss of China's or the loss of Holland's? If you sat all the world's businessmen down at a table and said: "O.K. We have to decide which country to eliminate from the map -- China or Holland?" -- which would they erase? We all know that answer.

We are not debating how the average Chinese person lives vs. how the average person from the Netherlands lives, are we? We are talking about relative importance TO THE WORLD, and the size of a nations economy (NOT its per capita rating) is a major indicator.

Again, even lowly S.Korea is more economically important to the world than Holland, despite the fact that the average person living in Holland probably has an easier lifestyle, although I understand that its overly liberal policies has made it attractive for people simply NOT to work but instead live off the government (well, this happens in the U.S. as well).

Here's an illustration of just how silly the per capita point is:

There is a man who bought an abandoned oil rig [EDIT: I finally found the background story and posted it below] in international waters. Not so interesting, right? Well (and I don't know the technicalities of this), he was able to declare himself a nation. Yes, he is the president (or did he call himself Prime Minister? I can't recall) of his one-man nation. He has a national flag and is, indeed, a nation.

Now, what he does on this rig is quite interesting: He has somehow managed to hookup a server in his rig and offers an interesting service. You can probably quess: His nation will host ANY website with ANY contents! So people who have a hard time hosting Nazi websites, or bestiality websites, or anything you can imagine that is banned everywhere else can contact this man and have their site securely posted on the Net. [EDIT: Turns out they won't do child porn and some other stuff...you can read the link below.]

Now, since he is his own nation, nobody can force him to take the sites down. Ingenious, right? So you might imagine that he can charge some good money for this service, and he does. [EDIT: The story that I linked to below does not show the figures, but it mentions 'millions' in investment, so perhaps that Per Capita will soon be many, many times higher than ANY OTHER NATION ON EARTH?]

Clearly as the leader of such a nation, he must be invited to all the major international meetings! Clearly leaders from every nation in every corner of the world must be calling him for economic advice and perhaps even loan money.

And yet, he is NOT invited to these meetings and the only people who call him are friends, family and Nazi-lovers.

How could this be? How is it that such a nation is ignored and virtually unknown in the world?

Last edited by yin26; September 5, 2001 at 00:41.
Old September 4, 2001, 20:55   #170
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Fear this mighty nation and its amazing economy!!!:

Read about how "already, one million dollars has been invested by HavenCo Ltd. to turn it into the ultimate network hub, with more millions on the way" here!

Yes, this mighty Per Capita nation will soon rule the world!!!

Old September 4, 2001, 21:22   #171
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Ah, Wired Magazine has the full article here.

"HavenCo will pull in between $50 million and $100 million in profits by the end of its third year in business." Let's see...divided by just a handful of people, what would the per capita be? LOL!

Yes, per capita tells the WHOLE story about a nation's importance to the world. Just think of Sealand. LOL!!!

Old September 5, 2001, 03:21   #172
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
Where in any of this have I said "Good Economy"? Hmmm?
Can't you READ?? Scroll up a bit if your short term memory fails you.

Quote:
So quit talking about local issues when we are talking about global influence, eh?
Let me see...if Korea ceased to exist nobody would notice. If Holland would cease to exist Europe would certainly notice! Holland is the mainport of Europe, it's not irreplacable (I wouldn't go that far), but it certainly has quite an impact on the economy of the EU.

Quote:
That rating in terms of world importance is MEANINGLESS!
Well, to take your example, the USA and it's allies did start (or at least enter) a war because of Kuwait. More than they'd do for most of this world's countries.

Quote:
The city of Seoul by itself has 1/3 more people than the ENTIRE population of the Netherlands! LOL!
I seriously doubt Seoul has 21.3 million citizens. You're pulling facts right out of your ass.

Quote:
Now I ask you, the loss of which market would hurt the world more? The loss of China's or the loss of Holland's? If you sat all the world's businessmen down at a table and said: "O.K. We have to decide which country to eliminate from the map -- China or Holland?" -- which would they erase? We all know that answer.
If you'd ask an average American they'd probably say China! Business or no business, many countries in the world would be more than happy to see China be eliminated.

Anyway, it's a bit silly to compare China to Holland, isn't it. China has 100 times the population of Holland. However, if you'd ask the same question and replace Holland with Germany, I know China would lose. They all prefer Germany, eventhough it's GDP is smaller than China's.

Quote:
We are talking about relative importance TO THE WORLD, and the size of a nations economy (NOT its per capita rating) is a major indicator.
China's importance in the world also relies on it's armed forces. Furthermore, I don't think China is the second most important country in the world, eventhough it has the second highest GDP.

Again, even lowly S.Korea is more economically important to the world than Holland, despite the fact that the average person living in Holland probably has an easier lifestyle,

Quote:
although I understand that its overly liberal policies has made it attractive for people simply NOT to work but instead live off the government (well, this happens in the U.S. as well).
You're a troll Yin. You clearly know jack about Dutch politics and laws.

Quote:
You can probably quess: His nation will host ANY website with ANY contents! So people who have a hard time hosting Nazi websites, or bestiality websites, or anything you can imagine that is banned everywhere else can contact this man and have their site securely posted on the Net. [EDIT: Turns out they won't do child porn and some other stuff...you can read the link below.]
Bestiality is legal in various countries (including Holland). Nazi websites are legal in various countries too (including the USA).

Quote:
Clearly as the leader of such a nation, he must be invited to all the major international meetings! Clearly leaders from every nation in every corner of the world must be calling him for economic advice and perhaps even loan money.
I seriously doubt it is internationally recognised as being an independend country. You are becoming more and more ignorant with every post you make. Especcially on your comment on dutch "overly liberal policies". In one of your earlier posts you said you'd do research before talking about a nation. Well, you clearly didn't. You are so full of **** Yin. If I'm a troll, you are certainly one too.

Quote:
How could this be? How is it that such a nation is ignored and virtually unknown in the world?
It isn't officially recognised as being an independent country. Simple

Quote:
Yes, per capita tells the WHOLE story about a nation's importance to the world. Just think of Sealand. LOL!!!
Yes, total GDP tells the WHOLE story about a nation's importance to the world. Just think of the slums in Rio. Ever seen pictures of that? Hmmm...and how about the massive amounts of IMf payments flowing to...say India and Korea?

So Mr.Korean-pride-troll, please do some research before commenting on things you clearly don't understand. "Overly liberal policies". LOL. You're a real Troll Yin, though I have to congratulate you on not using that word yourself in not one, but two(!!) of your latest posts. Impressive indeed. So following your glorious example I will not use the word Troll either after this post (eventhough you clearly are a troll).
Old September 5, 2001, 03:53   #173
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Let me see...if Korea ceased to exist nobody would notice.
Even YOU must feel stupid after saying that. 1) I never said the end of Holland would go unnoticed, did I? 2) You're just pathetic to even make such a claim. Sad.

Quote:
Well, to take your example, the USA and it's allies did start (or at least enter) a war because of Kuwait.
For oil, man. For oil.

Quote:
I seriously doubt Seoul has 21.3 million citizens. You're pulling facts right out of your ass.
You are such a lamer it's not even funny. Not only has this question already been answered...a, Jesus, here it is for you again. Will you admit YOU are talking out of your ass?:

Name Country Est.
population
(in millions)
1. Tokyo Japan 34.5
2. New York USA 21.4
3. Seoul South Korea 20.3
4. Mexico City Mexico 19.3
5. Bombay (Mumbai) India 19.0

Quote:
Business or no business, many countries in the world would be more than happy to see China be eliminated.
LOL! Pathetic...

Quote:
It isn't officially recognised as being an independent country. Simple.
Hey, lamer...did you even read the article?

Quote:
and how about the massive amounts of IMf payments flowing to...say India and Korea?
Um, Korea already paid that off, Troll. Of course, I can't expect you to know that because it's hard to study anything when the head is stuck up a dark place.

As for the liberal policies, I am only sharing what the world says of your country. Do you or do you not have a great deal of social welfare programs in place? Answer the question, you liberal Troll.

Old September 5, 2001, 03:59   #174
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

By the way, quote me exactly where I say Korea's econ is "better" or "good" -- I have said several times that Korea's econ is #13 in size and, therefore, more important to the world than, say, Holland at #22.

But if you can't makes arguments based on what I actually say, you can always make stuff up, right? And just in case you do find some odd place where I used such a word, I have consistently been arguing about the SIZE of the economy.

Only a troll would say otherwise...thus, troll away.

Old September 5, 2001, 04:06   #175
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I'd suggest you write to this site and have them remove this slander immediately! LOL!

http://travel.dk.com/wdr/NL/mNL_Poli.htm

Quote:
Depite cutbacks in the 1980s, the Dutch still had one of Europe's most generous welfare systems. Most political parties accepted that levels of welfare could not be maintained indefinitely. The debate thus focuses on how much and in which areas cuts should be made.
Quote:
Costly welfare system, resulting in high taxes and social insurance premiums; one-third of national income spent on social security.

Old September 5, 2001, 04:19   #176
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

lib¡¤er¡¤al: marked by generosity

...because I know the library is closed, lazy Troll...

Old September 5, 2001, 04:27   #177
Kenobi
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:48
Ah, patriotism: "last refuge of the scoundrel".

Yin and MarkL, please step back for a minute and try to consider objectively what you are arguing about: "Netherlands vs. Korea, which is more important?" Given your example I'm tempted to start up a new thread matching off Belgium and Venezuela.

Participating in this thread is like watching a fight between two spotty kids fighting over whose dad is tougher - terribly important for the protagonists, sadly ridiculous for the observer.
Old September 5, 2001, 04:33   #178
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Actually, this is just me giving a guy from the Netherlands a sorely needed education on a broad range of topics. He doesn't go to the library much because he has no interest in Asia and God knows what other parts of the non-European world, so I might be his best path toward enlightenment.

He might hate me, but secretly he sees in me intellectual salvation. Give him some time. He seems to be running out of places to hide, and THAT'S when the real education will begin.

BTW: I am NOT a Korean patriot. I am American. But I will not let ignorant lies try to beat back obvious and accepted facts. Heck, he's even ignorant about his own coutry, telling me to look up facts that I already looked up just so I can post them to his face.

It's kind of funny, you know...of course I know he's just trolling.

Last edited by yin26; September 5, 2001 at 04:46.
Old September 5, 2001, 06:30   #179
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
For oil, man. For oil.
Of course for oil, but that doesn't change a thing. Kuwait, for whatever reason, is considered important enough to fight a war over. Can't say the same about a lot of other countries in this world.

Quote:
You are such a lamer it's not even funny. Not only has this question already been answered...a, Jesus, here it is for you again. Will you admit YOU are talking out of your ass?:

Name Country Est.
population
(in millions)
1. Tokyo Japan 34.5
2. New York USA 21.4
3. Seoul South Korea 20.3
4. Mexico City Mexico 19.3
5. Bombay (Mumbai) India 19.0
Thanks for pulling these "facts" out of the depths of your ass. Mexico City is quite a bit larger than Seoul and I think NY and Tokyo too.

Quote:
As for the liberal policies, I am only sharing what the world says of your country. Do you or do you not have a great deal of social welfare programs in place? Answer the question, you liberal Troll.
1. The liberals in Holland are AGAINST social welfare programs
2. Social Support (bijstand), the lowest level of welfare, is too low for people to live on. In other words, it doesn't create people that are too lazy to work. And yeah, there are other welfare benefits you can get, but you first have to work for that and pay money to the governement, who in turn will give you money should something happen. But it's not free money...no way. Only Social Support is, and that's too low for people to live on. So besides a quote of a few lines you didn't do ANY research.

Quote:
Actually, this is just me giving a guy from the Netherlands a sorely needed education on a broad range of topics.
Broad range? It's all about Korean pride.

Quote:
He doesn't go to the library much
Everyday now that school has started again. Trying to get some sources on the Humean predicament now. You know, books written by Hume and Quine. And don't come telling me now that you don't know what the Humean predicament is...it's an important principle in both philosophy and science. So please, stop your trolling and try to read some quality reading. I doubt you've ever read a single book of any of the great philosophers.

Quote:
By the way, quote me exactly where I say Korea's econ is "better" or "good"
Did it several times already. Just scroll up. Don't be so lazy.

Quote:
BTW: I am NOT a Korean patriot. I am American
That makes no sense at all. If you live in the USA and have the American nationality, you can still be a Korean patriot because of your heritage. You're really not making sense.

Quote:
He might hate me
Why would I hate you? I think stupidity is an excuse...at least in this case. You can't help it...just the way you are.
Old September 5, 2001, 08:20   #180
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26

"Despite cutbacks in the 1980s, the Dutch still had one of Europe's most generous welfare systems. Most political parties accepted that levels of welfare could not be maintained indefinitely. The debate thus focuses on how much and in which areas cuts should be made."
"Costly welfare system, resulting in high taxes and social insurance premiums; one-third of national income spent on social security."
This sounds like right-wing propaganda. The quality of Dutch social security has by now sunk to mediocre, compared to European standards, despite scientific studies that showed that the high quality reached in the late 70's could have been maintained without any bad economic effects.
The national income can, by definition, not be "spent" on social benefits. Social insurance merely redistributes the national income and has no primary effect on the purchasing power of the population as a whole.