Old August 31, 2001, 00:34   #31
fred
Prince

Local Time: 12:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yeah! He took my words, which were uneliquently put, but the idea is similar. Found a Star Trek like quote, that had complete relivance and made the whole statement very pretty. awe im soo warm inside.

Who is the quote of?? yourself? very nicely done if it is.

But see the "equalness" I talk about.

Now we can all have our favorites. Mine used to be the greeks but I think it might be turning a little chinese .

And never will i respect those romans and aztecs BOOOO
Old August 31, 2001, 00:45   #32
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 08:52
Yes, the quote is mine. And it IS a bit wordy, but I thought it would fit the mood...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old September 1, 2001, 00:39   #33
falcon7o
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26

So, learn to distinguish the comments based on research vs. b.s. comments that are worthless or even misrepresentative. Of course, this takes effort and a willingness to do more than say: ALL CIVS ARE EQUAL! They aren't. Never have been. Never will be. Wanting them to be or turning off your brain won't change that.
Apparently a dictionary has never fallen on your head.
One question, do you know the definition of civilization?????? I hope you do. Well according to your post you don't! Let me help you out. Civilization- An ADVANCED state of INTELLECTUAL,CULTURAL, and MATERIAL development in human society, marked by PROGRESS in the ARTS and SCIENCES, the EXTENSIVE use of record-keeping, including WRITING, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.

Granted, I would rather play some civlizations than other. I NEVER SAID I DIDN'T and maybe you didn't understand my original purpose of this post along with alot of other people. All I said was no one civilization is better than another. They are all equally important.

Oh and fred, I'm laughing now...
Old September 1, 2001, 00:43   #34
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
They are all equally important.
Just not true. Your tantrum won't change that...

Old September 1, 2001, 00:44   #35
falcon7o
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Despite the fact that this statement goes against my philosophy "ALL CIVS HAVE NOT CONTRIBUITED THE SAME AMOUNT OF CULTURE TO THE WORLD"

I have to say it... despite the fact that I believe everyone is the same... I have to say that.

falcon- would you say that the Easter Island civilization was important? It WAS a civilization but did it really contribuite to the world? Would you say that Polynesia has contribuited as much to the "ENTIRE WORLD" as Egypt did in its heyday or England/China/Russia/America did in the post 1700 world?
First of all we don't know if the Rapa Nui were a distinct civlization. They landed on the isalnd 1200 years ago from another civilization so they are actually part of another civlization and they might of formed into a unique one. Personally, if you could carve thousands of statues and move them a thousand years ago, you would be a pretty amazing civilization in my mind.
Old September 1, 2001, 00:49   #36
falcon7o
Settler

Quote:

Just not true. Your tantrum won't change that...
First of all that wasn't a tantrum, but this is. Your new name is elementry boy because apparently your vocabulary is that low. You don't just create a civilization because you want to. Historians classified people into civilizations to put people into large, important groups. They didn't do it just for fun. In order to have a civilization, you must meet some near impossible requirements, and guess what, if two civilizations have the same things that meet those requirements, they're the same civ. Will please not be so close minded and understand that your pessismistic views on man kind aren't right? Maybe you should start playing the Civilization series because I played games where I captured many slaves from my enemy, but they won in the end.
Old September 1, 2001, 00:54   #37
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

This is the root of your problem: You think by saying that not all civs are equally important that this is somehow being 'pessimistic' about mankind. That doesn't even make sense. And I'm glad you've met the "Civilization Requirement Committee" and can confidently tell us that "past the level of admission, it's all the same."

I realize simple ideas take up less space, but try making room for someting a bit more complex.

Quote:
Maybe you should start playing the Civilization series because I played games where I captured many slaves from my enemy, but they won in the end.
And this is just so silly it's hilarious! If you have a point to make, please put a little more effort into it.

Old September 1, 2001, 00:59   #38
falcon7o
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by fred
There is something missing from your complete understanding. My point of view on this is that they are all equal in creating our history and our present.

I base my arguement on the simple fact that if removed, every civilization, every culture will have drastic repercusions on the out come of history. That is to say if you removed Easter Island from the timeline you would earevicably (I can't spell, please don't hold it against my arguement ) aulter the history and culture of many people and places. It would cause the same change as say removing the greeks. Because the ending becomes desimilar to our own the effect is thus equal but have a different result. Now all arguements I have seen have been about cause and effect. I have just proven that the cause and effect of the civilization, no matter how unimportant they seem in a text book are equal.

That is also not to say I will admire every culture equal in their achievements. But when you come down to it they have had equal effect on our timeline and culture through fact of influence. Its hard to comprehend and explain my point of view on this, and this was my best effort with a limited grade 10 vocabulary, but I hope some will understand.
Finally, i agree with you . We we're pretty much arguing the same thing only mine was half what you were saying. Now that you've stated this I'm happy and understand your arguments. True, if you open a history book, you won't see 100 pages for every civ., but just like you said, and I believe your wording was excellent , "I base my arguement on the simple fact that if removed, every civilization, every culture will have drastic repercusions on the out come of history" and this is completly true. I mean imagine if Egypt was removed. We would probably have no form of math, or maybe a very late form of it. And even if the eAster Island civ. was removed, we would have new reason to believe that Aliens picked up those statues and moved them.

With that, I must say goodbye. It was fun arguiong about something else then which civ. are more important . So if you feel like replying fine, but I won't read it.
Old September 1, 2001, 01:01   #39
falcon7o
Settler

Quote:
And this is just so silly it's hilarious! If you have a point to make, please put a little more effort into it.
A little hypocritical aren't you. All you're arguing is that ALL CIVS AREN'T EQUAL with no real evidence. So don't be a hypocrit elementry boy
Old September 1, 2001, 01:02   #40
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
with no real evidence
If you need common sense as evidence, you really should leave this thread...and fast.

Old September 1, 2001, 01:43   #41
fred
Prince

Yeah some1 understands me.

Now this doesnt mean we cant argue for favorites, but the title of threads must change.

They should not be "The most deserving Civ" or "the most important civ" rather "what civ is your personal fav" or "who is gonna be doin the ass kickin in your civ game".

Its not the arguements i have anything against, its calling importance to some civ while down playing everything another civ does.
Old September 1, 2001, 09:07   #42
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 13:52
All civs are equal, but some civs are more equal than others.