Old August 28, 2001, 20:50   #1
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 07:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis:When do we see Modern Screens?
I'd really like to see a couple screen shots that have more advanced units in them (like tanks, planes). I'd also like to see how railroads, maglevs(?) and farmland looks. Who else is waiting anxiously?
Old August 28, 2001, 20:59   #2
jerkwaterbox
Warlord

now i know everyone wants to see modern screenshots but i doubt any will be released anytime soon.

"I regret nothing and apologize for less." -My motto
Old August 28, 2001, 21:09   #3
isaac brock
Warlord

oh, they better release them soon. there's no reason not to. Why haven't they released them already? Why don't a few beta testers leak out some screenshots?
Old August 28, 2001, 21:13   #4
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:54
Quote:
there's no reason not to
They don't want to reveal the units and things yet.
Old August 28, 2001, 21:14   #5
jerkwaterbox
Warlord

i don't think any beta testers will have the balls to leak out anything because a lot of them are probably on staff. also it was probably said that they would be taken out back and shot if anything was leaked.

"I regret nothing and apologize for less." -My motto
Old August 28, 2001, 21:19   #6
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by jerkwaterbox
i don't think any beta testers will have the balls to leak out anything because a lot of them are probably on staff. also it was probably said that they would be taken out back and shot if anything was leaked.
I think all the testers are on staff, afterall, there was no public beta. If there was, we'd be rolling in screenshots right now and probably playing bootleg versions of the demo. *sighs* if only they had made it a public beta
Old August 28, 2001, 21:22   #7
isaac brock
Warlord

what kind of faulty beta testing are they practising? if the beta testers are all staff, they won't report bugs for fear of pissing Sid off. Or if Sid put a concept in the game that doesn't seem fun, they don't want to piss off the Almighty Sid.

Don't get me wrong, I worship Sid every night before i go to bed, I just hate the idea that screenshots won't be leaked.
Old August 28, 2001, 22:00   #8
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
if the beta testers are all staff, they won't report bugs for fear of pissing Sid off. Or if Sid put a concept in the game that doesn't seem fun, they don't want to piss off the Almighty Sid.
LOL! Yeah right! They'd piss off Sid more if they didn't report ANY bugs . And they all know it.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 29, 2001, 05:20   #9
Sabre2th
King

Sid knows what he's doing. If something about the game doesn't work the way he wants it to, it's out. We've seen his work before.

About the public beta: We could always just storm the Firaxis building.....
Old August 29, 2001, 07:12   #10
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 13:54
"You are surrounded! Come out of the building with the Civ3 CDROMs above your head!"

Old August 29, 2001, 07:47   #11
donarumo
Warlord

Local Time: 12:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
Sid knows what he's doing. If something about the game doesn't work the way he wants it to, it's out. We've seen his work before.
I get the feeling Sid is not that connected to the progress of this game. In fact, it would not surprise me if the beta release was the first copy he may have played since the inception.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)
Old August 29, 2001, 07:49   #12
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
I think all the testers are on staff, afterall, there was no public beta. If there was, we'd be rolling in screenshots right now and probably playing bootleg versions of the demo. *sighs* if only they had made it a public beta
As I understand it they have hired a lab to test to make sure the game runs on a variet of machines without many bugs. So there is a beta test going on outside of Firaxis' control just not public. But when this happens, there is always a chance that the game will leak. (keeping fingers crossed)
Old August 29, 2001, 08:35   #13
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 06:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Legacy
"You are surrounded! Come out of the building with the Civ3 CDROMs above your head!"

That was soo funny!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old August 29, 2001, 11:54   #14
Sabre2th
King

There's nothing like a mob of angry civ addicts.
Old August 29, 2001, 17:19   #15
H Tower

Could have saved some dough
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem

As I understand it they have hired a lab to test to make sure the game runs on a variet of machines without many bugs.
we would have done that for free, they wouldn't have to pay me big bucks to play civ3. in fact i would pay for the opportunity to play test! Name your price firaxis, I want to help with the beta!

and since we've all heard that firaxis is short on money...
Old August 29, 2001, 18:28   #16
TechWins
King

Local Time: 05:54
Oddly enough I'm glad they aren't releasing the modern day screenshots. The more they keep a secret from us then the more fun we will have playing the game. Most likely Firaxis will start showing modern day screenshots when the release date gets closer, this is just to increase hype about Civ3 around the release date.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old August 30, 2001, 06:40   #17
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 13:54
I'm genuinely interested to see how railroads and farms are going to look especially after the heated debate on the appearance of roads and road/mountain issues. I play original Civ2 in preference to Test of Time simply because the ugly ToT graphics drive me nuts before I can finish even a single game. I want a little reassurance that Civ 3 will not have the same problems. It'll also give us something different to talk about now the ancient to renaissance shots have been analysed to death
Old August 30, 2001, 06:56   #18
tishco
Prince

the civ II irrigation looks way better, the civIII looks like a little blue coloUred spindly blob
Old August 30, 2001, 07:37   #19
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 20:54
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Oddly enough I'm glad they aren't releasing the modern day screenshots. The more they keep a secret from us then the more fun we will have playing the game.
Absolutely right.

I've seen enough to really whet my appetite. I want the rest of it to come as a surprise. Exploration is half the fun in Civ.

Although Grumbold has a point when he said: "It'll also give us something different to talk about now the ancient to renaissance shots have been analysed to death."

Still, I think that somehow we'll managed to find something to talk about.
Old August 30, 2001, 11:47   #20
Vrank Prins
Warlord

What I've seen uptill now from all the screenshots looked indeed very ancient and, very pale !!. I hope the real-game-graphics look far brighter.
And yes, I would like to see a few screenshots with f.i. modernday tanks or naval-units.