Old August 28, 2001, 22:49   #1
saracen31
Warlord

Local Time: 12:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Starting Position Spoilers
One thing I always hated in Civ II was if you started a game with just mining, irrigation and roads, you were on a sweet, large continent with no enemies immediately nearby.

If you started the game with Alphabet, Bronze Working, Pottery, etc, etc, you always knew you were on a small island, or in the middle of a tundra or desert, or had enemies all over you.

I know the additional techs were given to balance the game and give players with crappy starting positions a chance, but isn't there some other way to do this without giving it away before terrain is revealed? Kinda spoils the sense of discovery for me when I pretty much already know based on my starting techs what kind of position I'm in.

And another thing, Firaxis: I just played a game of Civ II where as soon as I started the game (in 4000 BC) a message popped up saying I was the 5th largest civilization. Considering I was playing on "random number of civs" and enjoy the element of surprise, that's kind of a big giveaway to me, isn't it? Heck yeah, I'll go straight for the Great Library if I know that many civs are involved. I wouldn't know to do that if I hadn't gotten that dumb message screen way too early in the game. Wait till I am aware of these civs before ranking me!!
Old August 29, 2001, 04:32   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:54
I agree, it would be more fun (and more realistic) for the rankings to only take into account those Civs you know...

Advisor "Sire, of the 2 civilizations that we know of, we are the 2nd largest in the world!"

Something like that
Old August 29, 2001, 04:57   #3
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 08:54
I agree, but there should be an option, like if you already know how many civs there are, you know what I mean? some people LIKE the info..
Old August 29, 2001, 05:50   #4
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 08:54
That always did bother me, but we need some stats.
Old August 29, 2001, 09:03   #5
saracen31
Warlord

Stats are fine, I just don't want any spoilers before I know what I'm dealing with - let me find out myself.
Old August 29, 2001, 09:06   #6
Paul L
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:54
And if you hit F8 you know most of your opponents. Anyway in civ3 civs have civ specific starting techs, so thats one spoiler less.
Old August 29, 2001, 09:16   #7
saracen31
Warlord

I wonder if they'll give additional starting techs to the guy who starts out on a 5 X 5 desert island.
Old August 29, 2001, 09:34   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:54
There are ways around it. For example, put additional goodie hunts near players who need help, and fix these huts so certain good things come out of them
Old August 29, 2001, 17:07   #9
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Advisor "Sire, of the 2 civilizations that we know of, we are the 2nd largest in the world!"
What if you have met no-one, should we pessimist or optimist?:

"Sire, we are the the most technologically advanced empire in the known world"

or

"Sire, we are the stupidest nation yet found on Earth."

Old August 29, 2001, 17:14   #10
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Well to be blunt with you, I found the map generator in Civ2 to be awful, it generated these horrible straggly landmasses. SMAC was better because it formed decent continents. Hopefully Civ3 will have a decent map generator which will produce more even starting points...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 29, 2001, 22:48   #11
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Big Crunch, id say they would go with optimist... you know... the whole "Shoot the messanger" sort of thing... They stat guy would want to keep his head on top of his neck

I agree that we need stats, but i think we shouldnt know about other civs until we know other civs, at least met a unit or city of theirs.

I like hearing about other civilizations kicking the bucket tho
Old August 30, 2001, 00:08   #12
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Well to be blunt with you, I found the map generator in Civ2 to be awful, it generated these horrible straggly landmasses. SMAC was better because it formed decent continents. Hopefully Civ3 will have a decent map generator which will produce more even starting points...
We already know from the screenshots and FIRAXIS comments that the terrain generator in CIV3 is much better than the CIV2 one.
Old August 30, 2001, 00:24   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 20:54
I don't like the random map generator in Civ 2 it always messes up my perfectly arranged cities