Old August 29, 2001, 07:37   #1
Quantum
Settler

Local Time: 07:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
map of an exterminated faction?
I was playing a game as Miriam, when, during the AI's turn, I got a message that Lal had been eradicated by Yang and escaped in a colony pod. Then, an instant later, Morgan calls me up and says "I see you have run into some trouble with Lal. I have obtained a map of every Peacekeeper facility that I will share with you for your knowledge on Ethical Calculus".
I thought "what's he going to show me, a picture of Lal's colony pod!!?." So I said yes. Then, suddenly all of _Yang's_ territory is revealed!. I don't know how it happened, but Yang had declared Vendetta on me and I hadn't found a single base of his before my trade with Morgan, so I'm not complaining!
Old August 29, 2001, 18:35   #2
Fitz
King

Local Time: 04:55
When the AI says 'I will trade you so-and-so's map', what they really mean is that they will give you their map, and it includes so-an-so's territory. So if their map has several other faction territories that you don't, you gain. You also get the territory map for the faction who just traded it to you, up to date.

I think they only offer you this as an option if they have gotten a map trade from the other AI. I can't garuntee it though. They may offer it to you if they can see some of the other factions territory and you can't.
Old September 2, 2001, 03:40   #3
EtheMind
Warlord

Local Time: 14:55
As a sidenote. Never make the mistake of trading maps under alliance. Because you'll get them anyway. I've falled for that one...Ethemind, you idiot!
"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a God! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!" - Shakespeare
Old September 4, 2001, 17:18   #4
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:55
I thought it worked this way:

At some earlier point, Lal and Miriam have traded maps. Miriam has explored and found Deirdre's territories, so that's included in the map Lal got. Lal then calls me (Fungboy) and offers me Miriam's map. That includes Miriam and Deirdre's territory together, and Lal's.

So the "map of territory" is actually "map of exploration"? Or do I have it wrong?!