View Poll Results: Which victory condition appeals to you the most?
Victory by Domination 6 13.04%
Diplomatic Victory 6 13.04%
Cultural Victory 18 39.13%
Space Victory 11 23.91%
Military Victory 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 30, 2001, 01:50   #1
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which path to victory?
Based on the limited information we have now about the five different types of victory conditions, which victory condition appeals to you the most?

VICTORY BY DOMINATION: Control two-thirds of the world and ya win.
DIPLOMATIC VICTORY: Not sure, but likely linked to alliances
CULTURAL VICTORY: The first to reach 100,000 cultural points wins
SPACE VICTORY: A.C. here I come.
MILITARY VICTORY: Die, you AI scum.

Civ3 also provides a choice of which victory conditions you can play, in your first game, will you choose all the conditions, or just a few, or just one?

Last edited by Tingkai; August 30, 2001 at 01:55.
Old August 30, 2001, 02:07   #2
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 06:56
When i first get the game, i'll probably try for all the victory conditions, to try each one out. . probably starting with victory by total elimination of the AI . .

. . if the same basic mechanics hold for Civ3 that held for Civ2. . then i'll probably go for science victory most often, as i tend to be a more perfectionist player. It's only when the AI get's aggressive that I get aggressive. Of course, I'll always let ALL the options be open. .

-theonion.com
Old August 30, 2001, 04:27   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:56
I want to try all the victory conditions (even diplomatic heh), but in my first game i want to try for the cultural victory... Culture is a new aspect that seems well suited to my perfectionist ways, so culture it is

As for the choice of victory conditions, ill mix'n'match, depending on what i feel like at the time.
Old August 30, 2001, 04:57   #4
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 14:56
Most likely diplomatic or cultural victory.

Space or domination? Hmm, maybe, in some cases.

I'm not a warmonger, so the military victory isn't very appealing for me (except when the AI civs really go beyond the limit of decency and sneak-attack me or kill my engineers )

No economical victory ?
Old August 30, 2001, 05:09   #5
Aco
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:56
I have high hopes to finally get a chance to 'live and let live' because I am a relatively peaceloving player.. so Diplomatic victory will do best. Although it remains to be seen how easy/difficult 'they' (the AI) make it for you to do so.. often in Civ2 I started out doing just that and then being attacked by most other civs.. grmph.. all out war usually was the endresult..

We'll see when the game comes out..

Aco
Old August 30, 2001, 06:22   #6
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 13:56
Space race to Alpha Centauri, because is a great dream to improve all the mankind It was the only "non military" victory path with the old classic, so rank me on the "nostalgic" list

Second try, I'll go for the Cultural victory, because it's brand new and deserve great attention, IMHO

Last, I'll go for the less boring path: you know how in SMAC the BAB limit always let you reach a point where you know you are winning, no matter what AI Civ did. When (if) I see that point on Civ III I'll steer for the nearest victory path or I'll give up.

I have better things to do than a pointless series of micromgmt and [next turn] button hit

But who knows? May be Civ III AI will beat me so hardly that my choiced path for victory will be irrilevant!
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old August 30, 2001, 06:48   #7
campmajor!
Prince

Well, if the movie in civ3 will be as cool as in civ2, I will choose for the space race!

But usually in civ2 at the end I'm in war with all AI civs, so while I am building the spaceship I will at the same time kick the AI asses. At that time it is sometimes difficult to choose...

May be I will try cultural victory also. Because it's new...
Old August 30, 2001, 10:52   #8
M. le Comte
Warlord

WAR
Whatever...

To my mind, the only good way to win at Civilization is to conquer the other Civilization. How dare they to exist !?

It always begin by the invention of the chariot. By this time, the word begin to fear my upcoming power. With a Great wall and Great Librairy, you just go on conquering your neighbourghs, no matter for science and for other civilizations.
Then I get Crusaders and Musketeers (fear the Workshop). When the world realize that I'm going to expand without any limit, civs become allied with each other against me. But it's already too late. Dragon, cavalry, and my Civilization stay almost alone on earth.
At this point, I pass from Communism to Democraty and develop myself, in order to gain score, while looking at the cute remaining civs.
And when I get bored, I just send two or three conventional missile, and drop troops... Otherwise I am very patient till the construction of my spaceship, that I lauch when it has been entirely completed. I like order, peace and brotherhood

As for me, Civilization III will have the great advantage to make this goal become a bit more difficult to reach. I'll have to watch culture, armies, I even hope to be compelled to use Diplomacy in an other way than to conclude peace treaties I don't respect.

There's something else I've never used in Civ I&II, that's the trade system. Why to use it ? With Adam smith, buit or conquered, no problem of money, even in deity. I've never understood the strategic purpose of caravans (perhaps you could explain it to me ???). This fact doesn't feet the reality, in which you need trade. So I hope Civ III will fix it.

That's going to be even greater to make war in civ III .
Old August 30, 2001, 10:57   #9
M. le Comte
Warlord

ooooooppps
When I say "feet" in "feet the reality", I mean "fit" of course.

Go back to school M. le Comte !
Old August 30, 2001, 11:03   #10
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Well I am conservative in that respect, and military appeals to me the most.

I might try the others out, just to see how it works, or maybe I won't have another chance if i start on a level which is too hard.

Which tells me that I will most likely statrt on the second hardest level, to lose a first few times, that gives me more satisfaction than to win straight on a lower level.
Old August 30, 2001, 16:12   #11
JellyDonut
Prince

I expect to lose my first few games, but when I start winning, I will try the Science, Diplomatic and Culture victories being the peaceloving person I am .

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old August 30, 2001, 16:16   #12
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 14:56
The first game I'll just play not thinking about victory in the beginning, and later on I'll aim for the goal that is closest, or just try to stop the AI from win (And end up with the MILITARY VICTORY (edit: If I win)).

In later games I'll probably aim for something in the beginning, but not the same thing every time.
Old August 30, 2001, 20:00   #13
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 08:56
In civ2 my favorite thing to do was to kill everyone else except for one city on a relatively easy level and them micromanage to maximize civ-points and build a huge-ass spaceship, then win hby peace. I think my goal in civ3 (once I've mastered it) will be to kill everyone else except for one city again, and try to attain every victory possible in the same turn...
Old August 30, 2001, 20:25   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:56
I'll most likely pursue the Cultural Victory since it's new.
Old August 30, 2001, 20:26   #15
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 21:56
peace brother!
I'll probably go for the cultural or diplomatic victory if I can. In Civ2 I always tried to be peaceful but someone would end up sneak attacking. After I took a city and they asked for peace I would agree but a few turns later they would attack again. That always ticked me off and after being attacked a few times I would turn on the war machine and take out the offender. Hopefully in Civ3 we'll see an AI that knows when it's beaten and and can honour a peace treaty. I guess it won't be so easy to turn on the war machine in Civ3 since there's no fundamentalism. Well, that's okay since the computer can't use it either.
Old August 30, 2001, 21:43   #16
lupusmalus
Settler

That's right, Civ2 was absolutely stupid in that if you were the most powerful the AIs just wouldn't let you live in peace and thus force you to destroy them. And I HATE war, moving military units around the world for hours? BORING!!! Really got better stuff to do than that. Except, of course, when I'm massively more advanced and chew up their puny units with my stealth fighters.

So I'm really anxious to see whether in Civ3 it will be possible to establish a peaceful hegemony.