Old August 31, 2001, 03:58   #1
Kestrel
Warlord

Local Time: 12:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
FIRAXIS - Some questions related to making Mods in CIV3.

Q 1. There are rumoured to be 60 odd different types of units in the standard game.
How many new types of Units can I add to the standard game (without eliminating any of the existing units) ? i.e. What is the maximum nr of different types of units that the game will support ?

Q 2. How many new advances can I add (without substracting any of the existing advances) ?

Q 3. Does a Unit still require only 1 advance, or can I set it so that it requires more than 1 advance to have been researched before it can be built ?

Q 4. Can I define and add new Terrain types (without eliminating existing types) ?

Q 5. Can I add new different Wonders ? (Either 'small' or 'large').

Q 6. Can I change the function of existing Wonders ?

Q 7. Can I change the function of existing City Improvements ?

Q 8. Can I add new City Improvements (with different functions) ?

Q. 9. Will there be a single rules.txt as per Civ2 so that these things can be modified easily or will it be a series of various files as per CTP2.

Q. 10. Is there any detail as to the new scenarios that will be offered with the first release of Civ 3?

If these questions have been answered in other forums I apologise, if so, can someone point me as to where these answers may be found ?

Many Thanks.
Old September 16, 2001, 19:04   #2
Kestrel
Warlord

FIRAXIS, This is Kestrel,

Radio Check.

Over…….
Old September 16, 2001, 21:40   #3
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 13:58
Re: FIRAXIS - Some questions related to making Mods in CIV3.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kestrel

If these questions have been answered in other forums I apologise, if so, can someone point me as to where these answers may be found ?

Many Thanks.
I haven't seen these questions in other forums (and they shouldn't be...they would be re-directed to this one), but you might want to try e-mailing the Civ Team at askthecivteam@firaxis.com . You're more likely to get results that way.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old September 17, 2001, 01:08   #4
Kestrel
Warlord

Quote:
you might want to try e-mailing the Civ Team at askthecivteam@firaxis.com . You're more likely to get results that way.
Unfortunately I have also tried that. I have sent Firaxis a number of e-mails asking a number of questions, (including those listed above) over the last 6 months or so. Alas, none have been replied to directly and none have been posted at the Firaxis site - I thought there might be a chance of a response if I also posted here.

Cheers.
Old September 17, 2001, 03:21   #5
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 14:58
Quote:

Q 1. There are rumoured to be 60 odd different types of units in the standard game.
How many new types of Units can I add to the standard game (without eliminating any of the existing units) ? i.e. What is the maximum nr of different types of units that the game will support ?
i think this can be changed while they're still programming, so maybe they're not sure yet.

Quote:
Q 2. How many new advances can I add (without substracting any of the existing advances) ?
same as 1

Quote:
Q 3. Does a Unit still require only 1 advance, or can I set it so that it requires more than 1 advance to have been researched before it can be built ?
dunno, but if you can only have on advance per unit, i think you could still have more advances for that advance that requires that unit.

Quote:
Q 4. Can I define and add new Terrain types (without eliminating existing types) ?
hope so, but i wouldn't get my hopes up...

Quote:
Q 5. Can I add new different Wonders ? (Either 'small' or 'large').
i think so, don't see any problem with it, but i'm not sure

Quote:
Q 6. Can I change the function of existing Wonders ?
same

Quote:
Q 7. Can I change the function of existing City Improvements ?
almost definitely yes

Quote:
Q 8. Can I add new City Improvements (with different functions) ?
same

Quote:
Q. 9. Will there be a single rules.txt as per Civ2 so that these things can be modified easily or will it be a series of various files as per CTP2.
I hope there are multiple files, and i think that will be the case. They made it clear that civ3 will be very customizable, so i think it would be messy to try to put it all in one file.

Quote:
Q. 10. Is there any detail as to the new scenarios that will be offered with the first release of Civ 3?
i dunno

Quote:

Many Thanks.
you're welcome, (even if i didn't answer your questions with 100% certainty )
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old September 17, 2001, 03:44   #6
Roman
King

Quote:
No. Firaxis has apparently decided that editing willbe done through editors rather than text files. This does, however,mean that it will be easily customizable unlike Ctp2.