Old August 31, 2001, 08:50   #1
jewlguy
Settler

Local Time: 07:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Roze bugged me!
In a recent game I was reasearching along and building quitely (with a few minor skirmishes). When out of the blue , while contacting roze for the first time , noticed "Infiltration Active". Not to be redundent, but how did she do that? I tried playing her a couple af times , even useing tips from Rozers here on the board. I lost pityfully. What's the trick to playing her sucessfully?
Old August 31, 2001, 11:39   #2
Tizzy
Warlord

Local Time: 12:58
Re: Roze bugged me!
Quote:
Originally posted by jewlguy
In a recent game I was reasearching along and building quitely (with a few minor skirmishes). When out of the blue , while contacting roze for the first time , noticed "Infiltration Active". Not to be redundent, but how did she do that?
If I remember correctly (I haven't played for quite a while now, so don't quote me on this!), Roze has infiltration into all factions?
Old August 31, 2001, 13:31   #3
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 05:58
jewlguy, I have always kept my eyes peeled for spies, but alas, I am sometimes unexpectedly infiltrated. For me it happens with other factions than Roze as well. There is something going on besides the EG and pacting. I think that you sometimes just don't get to see the spy, particularly if it can move in from a distance on roads or if you don't have your sensors up yet.

Since I am not the world's greatest prober, I have had mixed results with Roze. But infiltrating everyone quickly is even more important with Roze on account of the potential free tech. Her starting edge, the probe team, should always be probing and exploring. Resist the temptation to pod pop with it! A probe/worm battle is not a pretty sight.

The good news is that Roze doesn't have any huge disadvantages, so she can both pop boom and get to +1 energy per worked tile easily.
Old August 31, 2001, 16:42   #4
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 13:58
Doesn't being the Planetary Governor give you infiltration in every human faction?
Old August 31, 2001, 17:36   #5
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Yes it does. But I tend to be the one with both the EG and the Guv job in single player games. So I am still leaning towards the idea that you don't always see the probe teams coming.
Old August 31, 2001, 18:49   #6
WhiteElephants
King

jewlguy -- What I believe that means is that YOU have active infiltration against Roze, not that Roze has infiltrated you. I don't believe there is a way to tell which factions have and have not infiltrated you. If you haven't probed her for infilitration than you are probabaly the Planetary Governor or have built the Emapth Guild.
Old August 31, 2001, 19:20   #7
jewlguy
Settler

Ok - I belive I did have EG at the time and had just started looking for tech trades. I thought it showed infiltration active on both - - but it was a late night game (after a day of making jewelry, my eyes sometimes get all wonky and brain gets full) so, I'm not sure. But, does Roze have auto infiltration into all? That's an advantage I did not notice while playing her. I'll bet the wise ones are enjoying watching us fumble around with this one.
Old September 1, 2001, 01:19   #8
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

(fumble) Thanks WE, I'll have to test that idea about infiltration.

All I know for sure is that if I play Roze I don't get automatic infiltration and the guide says that she gets tech that three infiltrated factions have. Unless the "infiltrated" in the above statement is redundant that implies to me that she has to infiltrate them one by one.
Old September 1, 2001, 06:16   #9
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 13:58
Roze's special ability is that, if say she has 3 people infiltrated, and all three have a tech she doesn't, then she'll get it. This wouldn't work for any faction outside her "infiltrated circle", neither if just two had it. If she had say 5 infiltrated factions and three of them had a tech she doesn't, then she'll get it. She gains tech from "3 infiltrated factions".
Old September 2, 2001, 03:54   #10
EtheMind
Warlord

Local Time: 14:58
I've played some "Mind Controlling" games as Morgan. Meaning that I almost only use probes and cash to invade my poorer enemies. Especially our favorite commie Yang. It works pretty nicely though my tech suffered quite a bit because of expenses of Mind Control.

Think this could work well with Roze if you have +2 Economy and nice income? I haven't really played Roze...at all...
"What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a God! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!" - Shakespeare
Old September 4, 2001, 17:05   #11
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

I've played several recent games as Roze. Great faction. Infiltration doesn't come automatically - gotta go out and find the other factions.

However, her free datalinks has a downside early in the game when you're trying to beeline to crawlers and lifting of restrictions. Since each new tech increases the cost of the next one, be careful when you might have the influx of AI techs. I find it best to be on "standby". Get ready to infiltrate by figuring out where the other factions are, get headed out that way, then wait until Tree Farms. Lifting of energy restrictions is a huge energy/ research boost, so the additional cost won't be so noticable. At that point, complete infiltration and watch the non-beeline techs come flooding in (strange how so many of the AI factions follow the same tech paths, despite different research priorities).

There might be a couple that you don't get immediately you may have to snatch - so grab it from an aggressor who will probably come gunning for you soon, anyway (Alien, for instance). Works like a charm.