Old August 31, 2001, 14:53   #1
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 08:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Catch me up on the chronicles
wow, it's been a while, but could someone catch me up on the major developments?

and on a more personal note, whatever became of the Edgecursher, and his umm... encounter with aki zeta-5? and just how did he get out of that fungal tower?

yrs, selfbiased
(formerly edgecrusher)
self biased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2001, 19:54   #2
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:59
I assume you mean the Spartan Chronicles, yes?
Old August 31, 2001, 20:37   #3
Argonaut
Prince

Hey, the Edgecrusher! Glad to see you back buddy.

The Chronicles have hit a bit of a lull right now, although Hydro and Senatus have been upholding slackers (like me ) with some awesome posts. As for the Edgecrusher, we left him as is because you said you might be coming back and wanted to return to him. I did some back story stuff re: Roze, who I decided got some training from the Edgecrusher a long time ago. Right now, things are building up to the Usurper assault on Sparta Command and what could be the final stand of the Federation.

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2001, 19:50   #4
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Hello Edgecrusher! (aka self biased)

SC has been in a lull, and I admit I have been bad and let a month go by with no posts. I think that you will find that there isn't too much ground to cover if you go back to the date when you kind-of signed off, and then read forward.

As a brief overview, the Usurpers have captured 2 Spartan cities in a blitzkrig by their vaunted Deathspheres and are now moving toward Sparta Command with a combined force of Ogre IIs, infantry, and Deathspheres (no gnats, yet). The Spartans, for their part, have largely pulled out of the Hive theatre and all their resources are at Sparta Command. Santiago intends throw everything at the Usurpers, but doesn't hold much hope in winning (or so we think). A combined Hive-Usurper assault has captured the Gaian Temple of Planet (and the Manifold Nexus), and the Usurpers are about to crush the last, pathetic resistance by the weakling pacifist Gaians at Velvetgrass Point. Yang and Ashaandi are up to their old tricks (read the most recent posts). Googlie (the character) now works for the Believers, after having been forced out of the PKs, since Lal was forced by internal politics to come to an 'accommodation' (e.g. - truce) with Yang and the Usurpers and kick that nasty militarist Googlie out on his pasty white butt. Miriam took him in with a big hug (shudder!!). Miriam and Domai are combining their forces for a holy people's war against Yang, although we haven't heard much on that front lately. Morgan in ominously quiescent, as are his operatives, after crippling Ashaandi's operations. Laying low? Maybe…

So, nothing much going on (wink! Wink!)

Hydro
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2001, 23:29   #5
self biased
staff

**evil grin**
thanks... i've got some ideas brewing now... i really have not the time or patience to read through a year and a half of posts, so there are a few things that i need to know...

first, what is the state of the consciousness?
second, the caretakers?

i've had ideas on how to end this with a bang to say the least... my internet time is few and far between, so i'll start throwing out morsels here and there.

oh, yes, what happened to that girl that was in the fungal tower... i'm remembering the name "merlin" for some reason... if i could just get that info, i think i can get my ball rolling again.
Old September 8, 2001, 01:12   #6
Hydro
King

EC/SB,

The Consciousness seems to be informally part of the Axis, with Aki leading its research along with the semi-crushed Zak. They don't seem to be faction leaders so much as very strong personalities with a loyal following.

The Caretakers haven't shown up, although there were some posts a LONG time ago that suggested they might be around.

Sarah (former Spartan empath) is the gal in the fungal tower, with Merlin (a disembodied former Hive empath she picked up by accident at Plex Anthill). She now has a new friend, a Gaian terrorist-turned-Planet avatar (whose name escapes me at the moment, and I'm too lazy to look it up). Both have been absorbed, in a way, by Planet and now represent its interests. For instance, Sarah orchestrated a fungal bloom to afflict Yang at the end of the Spartan blitz against the Hive due to the Hive's high eco damage. She has a series of fungal towers she inhabits: one in the south-central portion of Hive territory between Hive and Spartan-occupied Hive bases; one in the northern portion of the Usurper continent; and a third near Pointa Sur along the southern coast of the Spartan continent. She could, of course, occupy others if she wanted. In fact, she could grow one, like she did in Hive territory. Of the two, Sarah is pretty moderate and is trying to hold on to some fragment of her humanity. Her former terrorist friend has no such scruples and is now fanatically dedicated to Planet, and he seems to have no qualms about any death and mayhem that he might cause in pursuing what he sees as its goals. My guess is that Sarah will play a part, or represent Planet, in the finale of SC.

Does that help?

Hydro
Old September 9, 2001, 21:34   #7
self biased
staff

excellent... **evil grin** give me a week or two, and i'll see what i can come up with...
Old September 12, 2001, 14:25   #8
senatus
Warlord

Local Time: 07:59
Hello EC.

From my perspective - having joined SC just as you left - the Chronicles have evolved a bit. What used to be many vaguely-connected threads are now a smaller number of more interacting threads. A while ago the remaining four authors decided to shoot for the same general outcome and conclusion to the Chronicles, and I think that you would not find Book III or IV as "long" a read as you might've expected from the early days. They also indicate which way the story seems to have written itself, and IMNSH opinion, it's a good read.

Some loose ends have been pruned or resurrected; Ishmael Skye, Svensgaard, the Usurper spaceship, and the UoP are amongst the former, while Salvadore St-James is amongst the latter. The Consciousness has made only brief appearances as a sub-faction; Sand is currently infected with the rogue (heh - I almost said "Beta" - wrong thread) algorithm. The Caretakers probably will not make a major appearance after all this time, as the forces of the Usurpers are currently matched off against humanity (discounting Yang, who has his own plans). They were, in a way, responsible for stranding Marr without reinforcements however. And there may be Caretaker-like tendencies developing within Marr's ranks; Zzar may be such a case.

Anyways, it'd be good to have you back as a a writer, so by all means, get yourself up to speed and jump on in!
senatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2001, 19:49   #9
Hydro
King

That's the name…Ishmael! He's the (nasty) Gaian eco-terrorist that has gone native (if you'll excuse the pun)! Considering recent events, terrorists probably aren't very popular, though (not that they ever were).

I think Senatus is right - the post rate has been much lower since your leave of absence, so there won't be that much to catch up on. You might want to peruse the posts to see where you stand (and to make sure you post doesn't contradict a current thread). If you haven't visited recently, Goog's Spartan Chronicles web site (http://googlie2.tripod.com/spartanchronicles/) has an up-to-date Word version of SC, neatly divided into books for easier reading. Also, feel free to e-mail any of us if you want to shoot an idea past us. Plus, you'll be missing out on some great new characters if you don't catch up!

Hydro
Old September 14, 2001, 00:26   #10
self biased
staff

well, here are my plans:

1. bring the cyborgs out into the light again.
2. bring the caretakres into the situation.
3. and... something else.. i'll figure things out tomorrow...
Old September 14, 2001, 09:41   #11
senatus
Warlord

Local Time: 07:59
Quote:
Originally posted by self biased
well, here are my plans:

1. bring the cyborgs out into the light again.
2. bring the caretakres into the situation.
3. and... something else.. i'll figure things out tomorrow...
EC/SB: Sounds good. The only concern I have is that the Caretakers not become too major an influence; considerable effort has been made in the past year in setting the stage for a grand, climactic, and conclusive war between the Axis, led by Sparta (these are after all the Spartan Chronicles ) and the Usurpers. An obvious, major presence of the Caretakers would really require that Marr focus on his ancestral enemies rather than the upstart humans, and right now the balance of power is such that the humans will have to rely upon human ingenuity to survive. Tilting the balance significantly at this later stage would, IMO, be a mistake, as it would detract from the climax now developing.
senatus is offline   Reply With Quote