View Poll Results: Would you like to see Apolyton cover Colonization?
Yes 26 66.67%
No 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1, 2001, 07:11   #1
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why is there no Colonization coverage in Apolyton?
Colonization is a civgame by Sid, and it deserves its own section among the oldies.
It differs a lot from other civgames with its population model and its trade model with stocked resources. The game has only four major civs, but a great number of minor civs (the native Americans). It takes place in another time period then the other civgames, but it is using the turn system.
If you compare Colonization with Civilization, you can say that Colonization is a small-scale version of Civilization. You have more control on what is happening, and every turn is a shorter period.

Is there a reason for not including Colonization in the oldies section?

Last edited by Gramphos; September 1, 2001 at 07:16.
Old September 1, 2001, 07:46   #2
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:00
I don't think there is that much to cover, it is an oldy and everything that can be said has been said. If it were multiplay it would be different but its not.

Having said that, if Colonization II ever came into development then it should definitely be covered, with an added sub-section for the original, in order to whet the appetite of those who missed out on such a classic.
Old September 1, 2001, 07:49   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

There should at least be a description of the game somewhere around here.
Old September 1, 2001, 13:16   #4
tniem
King

Local Time: 08:00
Because Colonization came out well before Apolyton was created. It was even created before Ultimate Civ II and First Greek sites were created. And since those sites merged and had focused on Civ II, there was no reason to add colonization.

Now if a Colonization II was in the works, I guarantee that ACS would cover it and a page on the classic would be included. But since that probably won't happen, it probably won't be covered.
Old September 1, 2001, 14:14   #5
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 05:00
Colonization is a great game, I still play it on my laptop when traveling. Unfortunately, it's long unsupported, and there's nothing new.

There is free-civ, and some people are talking about a free-MOO project, so about the only hope for it would be a free-Colonization project to include multiplayer and expand some of the game options.
Old September 1, 2001, 14:52   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:00
If you want to discuss Colonization II, you may want to check out this ez-board site (a spin-off from CGN which closed )

http://pub73.ezboard.com/fthecolonizationiiprojectfrm1
Old September 1, 2001, 15:19   #7
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:00
There is a colonization forum at civfanatics forums, between Alpha Centauri & CtP there.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/
Old September 1, 2001, 15:48   #8
Dauphin
Deity

Does anyone know why Colonization II is not in the pipeline? I would have thought some company would want to make it, with or *gasp* without Sid.
Old September 1, 2001, 16:27   #9
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
Because Colonization came out well before Apolyton was created. It was even created before Ultimate Civ II and First Greek sites were created. And since those sites merged and had focused on Civ II, there was no reason to add colonization.

Now if a Colonization II was in the works, I guarantee that ACS would cover it and a page on the classic would be included. But since that probably won't happen, it probably won't be covered.
Coloization is an importent link between Civ1 and Civ2.
Did you know that the so popular textfile system for rules, strings and so on was used in Colonization?
Old September 1, 2001, 16:37   #10
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

it's obvious that a colonization section would be a "presentation": content(game info, strategies, files) without any news

if someone can organize and produce such a content we would gladly consider it. until then we will continue trying to cover the more lively games....
Old September 1, 2001, 19:19   #11
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 05:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
Does anyone know why Colonization II is not in the pipeline? I would have thought some company would want to make it, with or *gasp* without Sid.
Despite good critical reviews and a loyal hardcore fanbase, it didn't do well commercially. Also, anyone doing a sequel would have to obtain rights from whoever is the successor-in-interest to MicroProse for the original game.
Old September 1, 2001, 19:32   #12
Colon™
Emperor

I think that would be Infogrames, accidently the publisher of civ3 and moo3.

Good matter for speculation I'd say.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old September 2, 2001, 02:06   #13
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 06:00
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
The same thing is true about civilization - the original. yet there is a scetion covering that

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark G

it's obvious that a colonization section would be a "presentation": content(game info,
strategies, files) without any news

if someone can organize and produce such a content we would gladly consider it. until
then we will continue trying to cover the more lively games....
Also applicable to Civilization. Not to mention Master Of Orion, which we are not only getting a section for, but also a forum?

So AC is civ, CTP is civ, Dinosaurs is civ, MOO is civ, maybe simgolf is civ. but Colonization is not civ?!??

I led a discussion a while back for a colonization section, which was deliberately misinterpreted as a request for a colonization forum.
find it at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=11527

But there is a ray of hope in the Post by Markos. If someone would organize the content for a section they may consider it. I recall that there have been petitions for Apolyton to cover MOO in the past, without any success.

just need enough support, and some people to do the groundwork for putting up the neccessary stuff.

who put out for the upcoming MOO section, anyway?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old September 2, 2001, 02:11   #14
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:00
Father Beast. Looks like you've lected yourself. Just put the content together and Markos will post it. I bet if you're nice he'll even let you get by with just researching and writing it in Text and he'll do the fancy schmancy HTML stuff.

So get hot! YOu could use the Civ section as a model...

Basically you just need a history/explanation of the game and some screenshots.
Old September 2, 2001, 07:54   #15
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I have made a brief summary of how Colonization works, and a table of the resources. I could have written more, but I have no more time for this today, maybe later.
I'll attach the files.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip col.zip (6.8 KB, 7 views)
Old September 2, 2001, 08:07   #16
Dauphin
Deity

Despite good critical reviews and a loyal hardcore fanbase, it didn't do well commercially. Also, anyone doing a sequel would have to obtain rights from whoever is the successor-in-interest to MicroProse for the original game.

I know the rights part, even having said that I would have thought it was a lucrative purchase, if the game is done well. Althoigh I am surprised to hear that the original game was not a commercial success.
Old September 2, 2001, 15:23   #17
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
if someone can organize and produce such a content we would gladly consider it. until then we will continue trying to cover the more lively games....
You may still buy Colonization. It must be living
Old September 21, 2001, 07:22   #18
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Markos, will you put up the Page I made?
Old September 21, 2001, 18:51   #19
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I will give some thought to a strategy section for Colonization, as I have been playing the game for a good 6 years now...I will see how long it takes me to do.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 22, 2001, 00:48   #20
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I will give some thought to a strategy section for Colonization, as I have been playing the game for a good 6 years now...I will see how long it takes me to do.
Have you checked my col.zip above in this thread?
Old September 23, 2001, 16:15   #21
Provost Harrison
Deity

Yeah, I have had a look through. Good start, but I suppose for this thing to take off it will need to have a decent strategy section and a good bit of discussion. We need to get lots more people to get hold of Col...it is worth the effort...besides the windows version looks quite slick so it doesn't look quite as blocky and unfriendly as the DOS version...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 23, 2001, 16:19   #22
Dauphin
Deity

If only Colonization had multiplayer. *sigh*

Colon should be able to do a lot on the game if his claim that its the basis of his username is correct. (I still have doubts about whether it is an abbreviation or not )
Old September 24, 2001, 07:47   #23
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Yeah, I have had a look through. Good start, but I suppose for this thing to take off it will need to have a decent strategy section and a good bit of discussion. We need to get lots more people to get hold of Col...it is worth the effort...besides the windows version looks quite slick so it doesn't look quite as blocky and unfriendly as the DOS version...
Yes, the DOS version are the best one.
We need a presentation, some screens, and some cool custom maps to start with. When we have that we may convince Mark that a colonization section is needed among the oldies.

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
If only Colonization had multiplayer. *sigh*
You know, the DOS-version of the game has as mush multiplayer as the original Civ2 (Some strings in the text files.) What happened to the ColNet-project?
Old September 24, 2001, 08:12   #24
Colon™
Emperor

Crunch, yes my name is an abbreviation of Colonizer, but I’ve never been a hardcore player of it and I also think the other version of the origins of my handle leaves more room to the imagination.
Old September 25, 2001, 13:58   #25
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I've started to work on a mapeditor more powerful then the one included with Colonization v3.0 for DOS. The biggest difference is that my editor will be window based and allow different sized maps.
I played on a 14x14 play area (16x16 mapsize), 12x14 land earlier today. It was kind of interesting.
I also placed a river on top of a mountain. You can't do that with the original editor.
My editor uses currently one graphic for each type of terrain (only one direction on rivers, hills and mountains, but it is easy to see what things are anyway.)
Old September 25, 2001, 15:26   #26
Provost Harrison
Deity

I never knew there was a map editor available for Colonization. I would be interested to use such a thing, even if just for novelty purposes :-D

Old September 25, 2001, 15:28   #27
Provost Harrison
Deity

Hey Gramphos, I can't quite figure out what your avatar is, it looks like a goats skull in a cauldron full of lava.

BTW, if you go along to www.civgaming.net when it relaunches, there will be a colonization section. If some of us make the effort, we could make it the best one on the net quite easily!

Old September 25, 2001, 21:44   #28
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Provost,
You can get the patch for v3.0 from Infogames it includes a mapeditor, that work with fixed size maps.
I still try to figure out what the biggest mapsize is. The fileformat would support some very big maps, but I've not tested that with the game yet.
And my Current Avatar is taken from my brother's homepage, but I'll have the warrior back soon.
It i a goat-soupe
Old September 26, 2001, 11:50   #29
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Now, I've been working all day (or at least since i got home from school) and extracted graphics for all directions of hills mountains minor and major rivers, but now it shows the maps quite well. The map squares to not enter each other, so it has some sharp contours, and rivers show up on top of water.
I currently have 144 gifs representing the terrain. (For al terrain that is on top of another I use two gifs, on 2-color image that is black where the image will be, and white where the image will be transparent. and one with the image that is black on transparent.)
At this state of progress the editor can load existing map-files correctly. (I think)

BTW, that editor in the patch will work without Colonization. You will only need the files included in the patch to use it.
Old September 26, 2001, 16:31   #30
Provost Harrison
Deity

Nice one, I am downloading it now!

I will be interested to see your map editor as well