Old September 1, 2001, 23:42   #1
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Local Time: 09:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Protecting My Outpost
Creating an outpost usually requires a lot of military activity for me. It is always attacked, and I always have to replace my men. I usually need transportation and a lot of money too. Oh well . . .
Old September 2, 2001, 00:14   #2
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 08:01
Played?
the way your talking, it sounds like you've played already! Since Firaxis has seemingly blessed you with a copy well in advance of the rest of us. i demand that you burna a copy and send it yo me!
Old September 2, 2001, 00:25   #3
SSBLoveU
Warlord

older game: Rise and Rule of Ancient Empire
In my dreams . . . No, I do not have Civ3 yet. When I build a Civilization, I usually have a rather large home base surrounded by outposts for trade and exploration. For some reason, people do not like to trade with me until they cannot take over one of my outpost. So, I use up a lot of time protecting my outposts.
Old September 2, 2001, 00:33   #4
KrazyHorse
Deity

"Other Games" forum.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 2, 2001, 00:38   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Raise my hopes will you!
Old September 2, 2001, 00:39   #6
SSBLoveU
Warlord

My Civ3 Plans
No, I plan to make outposts in Civ3. I guess I can do that. I have never played CivI or CivII. I guess I will have to change some of my thinking when I get Civ3.
Old September 2, 2001, 00:43   #7
SSBLoveU
Warlord

My hopes are always hi. Zelda was a great two years of play I hope Civ3 can sustain the joy.
Old September 2, 2001, 01:52   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

hrm. an american that doesn't speak english. he must be speaking american
Old September 2, 2001, 15:48   #9
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:01
Quote:
Originally posted by SSBLoveU
My hopes are always hi. Zelda was a great two years of play I hope Civ3 can sustain the joy.
OttoK lives!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 2, 2001, 19:40   #10
Chronus
Prince

Local Time: 13:01
Quote:
hrm. an american that doesn't speak english. he must be speaking american

That's "American English" to you, mister!
Old September 4, 2001, 19:21   #11
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Actually, that is interesting. I think my entire Naval force is used for outposts and trade. And at first, I just create more Naval bases in remote regions to support these outposts.

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison

OttoK lives!
Old September 4, 2001, 19:27   #12
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:01
Quote:
I have never played CivI or CivII. I guess I will have to change some of my thinking when I get Civ3.
You have me really lost on this statement. It sounds like you have played the game (any Civ version) by this statement "I just create more Naval bases in remote regions to support these outposts." but with you saying "I have never played Civ1 or CviII" I'm really confused. What exactly are you trying to accomplish out of this thread? I'm really lost by reading all your posts.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 4, 2001, 19:33   #13
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
What exactly are you trying to accomplish out of this thread? I'm really lost by reading all your posts.
I think you just answered your own question.
Old September 4, 2001, 19:40   #14
SSBLoveU
Warlord

I have been playing " The Rise And Rule of Ancient Empires." It is an old game which was Internet friendly. And I was planning to use similar playing techniques when I begin playing CIV3. I do not know if anyone else builds many outposts like I do.
Old September 4, 2001, 19:43   #15
SSBLoveU
Warlord

I think playing "The Ancient Art of War" and "The Ancient Art of War at Sea" built my hopes up high for battles to include planning and outposts.
Old September 4, 2001, 20:31   #16
TechWins
King

Is that game similar to Civ or something? I still fail to see the logic of this thread.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 4, 2001, 20:51   #17
crmeyer
Settler

Welcome weary and brave traveller.

No one here has played CivIII either, so can claim no valid superior stance to you.

Let me try, with very limited information, to help.

I have not heard of any formal constructs called "outposts" in CivIII.

There will, however, be something called a "colony" which might be closely associated with the "outposts" of which you speak.

It appears, from the limited information I have been able to gain about this as of yet unreleased game, that these colonies will be most important in gathering the resources required to fuel one's civilization.

It also appears that guarding these colonies will be as relatively important as the resources they gather.

Whether best protected by land, air, or sea units is highly speculative at this point, but probably significantly related to the surrounding geography.

Again ... welcome to this somewhat "aggressive" bunch ... forgive their intolerance. They are strung out, their fix is around the corner, each distraction fuels their discomfort and raises their ire.

If you haven't played any of the Civ series ... be prepared to join the addicted.
Old September 4, 2001, 21:06   #18
TechWins
King

I'm not trying to be aggressive at all'; I simply just don't understand the point of the thread. He hasn't played any Civ game before yet he is going to make "outposts". I don't really get it. It seems like he almost knows all of the attributes all Civ games possess.
Old September 4, 2001, 21:17   #19
crmeyer
Settler

I'm sure that you aren't trying to be aggressive.

But SSBLoveU states that he/she hasn't played CivIII, or any of the other Civs.

I take the poster at his/her word and accept that he/she is merely determining how to apply strategies used in other games to CivIII.

Just the same as many of the posters here conduct thought experiments to determine how they might apply strategies used in CivI & CivII & CTP, etc. (all other games right?) to CivIII.

Fear not ... your fix is coming, I doubt that SSBLoveU is holding out on you with a private CivIII stash.
Old September 4, 2001, 21:44   #20
TechWins
King

Quote:
Fear not ... your fix is coming, I doubt that SSBLoveU is holding out on you with a private CivIII stash.
You misinterpreted my last statement. What I meant is that he understands the basic premises of all Civ games.

Quote:
Just the same as many of the posters here conduct thought experiments to determine how they might apply strategies used in CivI & CivII & CTP, etc. (all other games right?) to CivIII.
Yeah that's fine in all but how many people who haven't played any Civ game tell about the strategies they are going to use in Civ3. It doesn't make sense that somebody who has not ever played Civ (any game) is posting strategies in which they are going to use in Civ3. I still don't understand it.
Old September 5, 2001, 02:31   #21
KrazyHorse
Deity

His posts are equivalent to entering a Warcraft III discussion board with the comment: "I think that Engineering Bays were overpriced before. Do you think they'll fix this?" and then when others express confusion, explaining that you've never played Warcraft I or II, and that you're referring to StarCraft, of course. It's a useless discussion, and I don't feel ashamed for treating it as such.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 5, 2001, 07:50   #22
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
His posts are equivalent to entering a Warcraft III discussion board with the comment: "I think that Engineering Bays were overpriced before. Do you think they'll fix this?" and then when others express confusion, explaining that you've never played Warcraft I or II, and that you're referring to StarCraft, of course. It's a useless discussion, and I don't feel ashamed for treating it as such.

LOL!!!!!
its true tho, why did you come here in the first place? this is an other games discussion...

hey, check out the new smilies

lol
Old September 5, 2001, 09:38   #23
KrazyHorse
Deity

Before he takes offense to my previous post, I should also mention that I'm an @sshole and I'm proud of it.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 5, 2001, 10:31   #24
tniem
King

But how did he show up on a civ sites board in the first place if he has never played?

So he has interest in Civ III, I have interest in WarCraft III and have played games like it but I wouldnt go on a board and start posting strategies about say AoK. This makes no sense.

I would say a DL, but this just seems a little bizarre for most of the posters on ACS...
Old September 5, 2001, 20:53   #25
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

He probably just wants to know if Civ III has the same capabilities of the (AMAZINGLY BUGGY RISE AND RULE OF ANCIENT EMPIRES)

no, SSB Civ does not have an 'outpost' option. An outpost in Civ would just be a city on the fringes of your empire.

Welcome
Old September 5, 2001, 22:02   #26
Falconius
Prince

What planet is this?:

I am sooooooo lost!:
Old September 5, 2001, 22:48   #27
JimMac
Prince

Local Time: 14:01
This is my "To-days favourite thread"
Its the middle of the night, and I cant sleep (following a free beer gig given by some spiritualized types ), so I come here to browse + catch up on the latest Civ3 info and read this.-Brilliant stuff
As I am afraid to go to the OT forum, I imagine that it must be like this.

(Hmmm...I wonder when this will be locked or moved..)
Old September 7, 2001, 23:09   #28
SSBLoveU
Warlord

An Outlying Settlement
An Outpost: a station established at a distance from the main body of an army to protect it from surprise attack; an outlying settlement, installation, position, etc.; the body of troops stationed there; detachment or perimeter guard.

Actually, I learnt the term “Outpost” from military school. The Rise and Rule of Ancient Empires did not have any bugs on my computer. Yet, in almost every review, Civilization was preferred to it. I played many Sierra games. So, it was years after I purchased The Rise and Rules of Ancient Empires did I read about Civilization. From what I understand, in Civilization III, I will be able to build an outpost or colonies.

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Is that game similar to Civ or something? I still fail to see the logic of this thread.
Old September 17, 2001, 16:15   #29
SSBLoveU
Warlord

I see my robot spy (my outpost) is well liked . . .

Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can. Spins a web, any size. Catch a thief, just like flies, look out, . . . here comes the Spidermannn.

Is he strong? Listen blood, he got radioactive blood. Can he swing, from a thread, take a look over head? Hey thereee, there goes the Spidermannn.

In the chill of night, at the scene of a crime, like a streak of light, he arrives just in time.

Spiderman, Spiderman, friendly neighborhood Spiderman, welcome then? He's ignored. Action issss his reward. To himmm, life is a great big hanggg up, wherever there is a hanggg up.
You'll find a Spidermannn .
Old September 17, 2001, 19:22   #30
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can. Spins a web, any size. Catch a thief, just like flies, look out, . . . here comes the Spidermannn.

Is he strong? Listen blood, he got radioactive blood. Can he swing, from a thread, take a look over head? Hey thereee, there goes the Spidermannn.

In the chill of night, at the scene of a crime, like a streak of light, he arrives just in time.

Spiderman, Spiderman, friendly neighborhood Spiderman, welcome then? He's ignored. Action issss his reward. To himmm, life is a great big hanggg up, wherever there is a hanggg up.
You'll find a Spidermannn

Not quite...

Quote:
Spider-man, Spider-man
Does whatever a spider can
Spins a web, any size
Catches thieves, just like flies
Look out, here comes the Spiderman

Is he strong? Listen, Bud!
He's got radioactive blood.
Can he swing from a thread?
Take a look overhead.