Old September 18, 2001, 16:11   #31
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Local Time: 09:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have not seen this since "Tovar the 8th man." Let me think to try to recall.
Old September 18, 2001, 16:23   #32
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:01
Markos it's about time we closos this thread.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 19, 2001, 03:44   #33
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:01
Aieeeeee!
Attached Images:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 19, 2001, 10:04   #34
LancerSH
Settler

Outposts are in all the Civ games.
okay, before ya throw some flaming my way I think we should clear this up

Outposts are in Civ2 and 1

Has anyone stationed a few phalanxes or warriors or a muskeeter in a fortress several spaces from one of your cities in the direction your enemy civ might attack? I certainly have.

What about building a fortress and airbase out in a remote region of the continent you are on... like in the middle of those nasty 7 tile mountain ranges... so you can stop surprise attacks from that direction

SSB, yes outposts can be a very potent tactic in Civ3..and the need to defen your territory, not just the cities will make them a valuable asset.

okay.. flame away. hehe
Old September 19, 2001, 12:24   #35
Lonestar
inmate
King

Anyony else besides me think SSBloveU is gonna get all "Series finale of St. Elsewhere" on us?
Old September 19, 2001, 17:53   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Aieeeeee!
*lol* Love that splatting icon
Old September 19, 2001, 17:56   #37
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:01
I propose that PH's icon be used as an official smile.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 19, 2001, 18:29   #38
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I propose that PH's icon be used as an official smile.
I second that idea
Old September 20, 2001, 00:47   #39
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

This thread has been amusing.

Ta Ta.
Old September 21, 2001, 03:59   #40
Provost Harrison
Deity

Well you should thank Zopper for that smiley. It is just one of the many in Stefu's Corner Of Smilies in the Apolyton/Community forum!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 21, 2001, 04:29   #41
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:01
Harrison,
How did you put the smiley on? When I tried that (insert image from stefu's thread), it resulted as an URL in the text. So, how did you do it? Or am I too simple
Old September 21, 2001, 04:39   #42
Provost Harrison
Deity

I just attached the image from my hard drive at the bottom of the post reply dialogue. But you could do it by using the [ img] [ /img] vB commands (omitting the spaces of course )

Old September 21, 2001, 05:13   #43
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:01
Well, lets try it out...
[IMG]D:\romua\finland2.gif[/IMG]
Old September 22, 2001, 14:37   #44
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Re: Outposts are in all the Civ games.
Thanks for the information LancerSH. I was really wondering because it is one of my main tactics in playing these types of games. I was studying a map of modern day Turkestan. And I was wondering over the question of the barbarians close to an isolationist nation's borders. This is something like my outpost problem, except Turkestan is nowadays some different country. And I see that the old government of one of the countries is along the boarder of an isolationist nation. I use a perimeter outpost like this to protect my city because the supply lines can never be cut off. However, my outposts which are away from any of my cities have more complex supply lines.

Quote:
Originally posted by LancerSH
okay, before ya throw some flaming my way I think we should clear this up

Outposts are in Civ2 and 1

Has anyone stationed a few phalanxes or warriors or a muskeeter in a fortress several spaces from one of your cities in the direction your enemy civ might attack? I certainly have.

What about building a fortress and airbase out in a remote region of the continent you are on... like in the middle of those nasty 7 tile mountain ranges... so you can stop surprise attacks from that direction

SSB, yes outposts can be a very potent tactic in Civ3..and the need to defen your territory, not just the cities will make them a valuable asset.

okay.. flame away. hehe
Old September 29, 2001, 11:14   #45
SSBLoveU
Warlord

I never have seen St. Elsewhere. But I like the Disney Series"Swamp Fox." I wonder how does a person explore far away lands in Civilization.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Anyony else besides me think SSBloveU is gonna get all "Series finale of St. Elsewhere" on us?
Old September 29, 2001, 19:43   #46
jdd2007
NationStates
King

CLOSE THIS THREAD PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
does anybody else feel as if their sanity is trickling away as they read this thread? no offense intended to anyone, but this has little to do with General Civilization III...
Old September 29, 2001, 19:57   #47
KrazyHorse
Deity

I'm convinced that SSB is attempting to implant some sort of mental virus in all viewers' cerebral cortex...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 29, 2001, 20:23   #48
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 08:01
Yes, otpoost gad. E oos otppost lost time. Next naval to hepl.

Egads!!!! What have I just typed?!?
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old October 1, 2001, 20:57   #49
SSBLoveU
Warlord

I actually believe this has a lot to do with Civilization III or I would not have posted it. I am glad that some people gave useful comments. It is my belief that some people understand what I am talking about while other people are insensitive. I would suggest one to try to make an outpost before commenting on it. I am happy to read that some people have tried this and found it useful. I always try to find a peaceful situation to winning. I am not looking for war. However, I find it annoying how people and AI attack outposts instead of trading with it or finding a peaceful solution. I was hoping the same aggressive tendencies do not occur again in Civilization III, but I feel that there will always be some civilizations who will discover an outpost and become paranoid.
Old October 1, 2001, 21:04   #50
tniem
King

SSB,

You ask me to set up an outpost in what game? Why should I try it? I just don't understand what this has to do with a Civ-esque TBS game.

If you are talking about Civ I or II or even SMAC, I have always built or captured cities far away from my territory either for added expansion and growth or for a place to attack an enemy. So can you please explain to me how this has anything to do with Civ 3. TIA.
Old October 1, 2001, 21:22   #51
SSBLoveU
Warlord

I have to wait until I get my copy of Civilization III to try to build an outpost to fully answer your question. I will have to wait like everyone else. I think what you said is certainly an option for an outpost. I usually build cities far away from my territory to make an outpost. I do not usually capture a city to make an outpost. However, some times I am forced to. I think you already understand how to make an outpost, most likely better than I in Civilization games. I never have played a Civilization game. I was just asking for feedback from experienced people, and it seems as if I will be able to create outposts in Civilization III which makes me happy

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
SSB,

You ask me to set up an outpost in what game? Why should I try it? I just don't understand what this has to do with a Civ-esque TBS game.

If you are talking about Civ I or II or even SMAC, I have always built or captured cities far away from my territory either for added expansion and growth or for a place to attack an enemy. So can you please explain to me how this has anything to do with Civ 3. TIA.
Old October 1, 2001, 21:33   #52
meriadoc
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by SSBLoveU
I think playing "The Ancient Art of War" and "The Ancient Art of War at Sea" built my hopes up high for battles to include planning and outposts.
I'm a little late, I know, but I have to ask - where did you find a copy of Ancient Art of War at Sea and where can I find a copy? I played it a long time ago and loved it but can't find it now.
Old October 2, 2001, 20:57   #53
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SSBLoveU
I think what you said is certainly an option for an outpost. I usually build cities far away from my territory to make an outpost.
So wait, you really don't know what an outpost is? You just think it would be a cool concept and think that we should do this in civ games? Why?

Quote:
I think you already understand how to make an outpost, most likely better than I in Civilization games. I never have played a Civilization game. I was just asking for feedback from experienced people,
So you have never played a civ game and are coming up with strategies for the game? Well I guess that is something I don't thing I have seen before.

Quote:
and it seems as if I will be able to create outposts in Civilization III which makes me happy
I guess I don't understand your excitement. You don't seem to definitely know what you want with these things or what they are but you think you will be able to create them. Well I guess everyone gets their kicks from something different...
Old October 5, 2001, 21:44   #54
SSBLoveU
Warlord

The best way to get one of these games is from someone who has one. I have tried to find updates and additional copies from the Internet with no luck. I have to run these games on an older computer. When I try to run it on my Pen II 500 MHz, they do not work. These games were so much fun. If the sea battles are as realistic in Civ. III, then I will have a great challenge developing my Navy.

Quote:
Originally posted by meriadoc

I'm a little late, I know, but I have to ask - where did you find a copy of Ancient Art of War at Sea and where can I find a copy? I played it a long time ago and loved it but can't find it now.
Old October 5, 2001, 21:51   #55
SSBLoveU
Warlord

I use an outpost all the time in these kinds of games. I have never used it in a Civilization game because I have not played Civilization. From what I have heard, I am excited about playing my first Civilization game with Civilization III and developing a strategy.

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem

So wait, you really don't know what an outpost is? You just think it would be a cool concept and think that we should do this in civ games? Why?

So you have never played a civ game and are coming up with strategies for the game? Well I guess that is something I don't thing I have seen before.

I guess I don't understand your excitement. You don't seem to definitely know what you want with these things or what they are but you think you will be able to create them. Well I guess everyone gets their kicks from something different...
I like to study history too:
Metacomet lived between 1638 and 1676. He was the younger son of Massasoit. Massasoit is well known for his peace treaty with the Pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving. When Metacomet became chief, it became increasingly difficult to keep peace due to the growing demand for more Indian land in exchange for blankets, guns and liquor. The final humiliation came when he was summoned to Taunton in 1671 by the English and required to sign a peace agreement that included surrender all of his people's guns, leaving them with just blankets and whiskey in place of their land. Metacomet earnestly attempted to maintain his father's peaceful policies with the Colonists, but the English pushed ever farther into Wampanoag lands, imposing their laws on the native people. Eventually, a reluctant Metacomet united the disparate tribes of the region and led a 13-year uprising later known as King Philip's War. Mary Rowlandson, a Puritan minister's wife, was captured during the war in an Indian raid on Lancaster, Massachusetts. She was captured by a group of Nipmuck Indians on February 10, 1676, and she was held captive by a leading Indian family for eleven weeks, before being returned to her husband. In Rowlandson's writing, it becomes apparent that New England Puritan women were used to a less strenuous lifestyle, one with greater "creature-comforts", in comparison to how the Indians lived. Mary Rowlandson's strong Puritan faith greatly influences her understanding and interpretation of the events associated with her captivity. Rowlandson finds strength in scripture and constantly quotes the Bible. Rowlandson's master Quanopin views her as a valuable commodity. This perception of Rowlandson as a commodity results from the introduction of a capitalist economy to Indian culture by the colonists. This new economy in which Indians began to view resources as commodities is dealt with extensively in William Cronon's Changes in the Land. Rowlandson notices the wampum worn by her master and mistress in the Indian dance. Cronon notes the importance of status symbols such as wampum and manufactured items obtained from the colonists to the Indians. "What Indians valued was often less the inherent technical qualities of a material object than its ascriptive qualities as an object of status"(Cronon p. 93). For a time, Metacomet armies' guerrilla-style tactics confounded the enemy, but the British eventually prevailed. When defeat seemed imminent, he retreated to his ancestral home at Mount Hope, where he was betrayed by an informer, shot in ambush, beheaded, and quartered on August 12, 1676. His head was displayed on a pole at Plymouth for 25 years. Puritan responses sought to resolve the events of 1675-1676 in accordance with God's will. Providence not only guides the events in these historical accounts, but also the hand that writes them. Language thus delivered the final blow, crushing the Indian uprising, and from the subsequent accounts, we receive our greatest inheritance from King Philip's War, the language of captivity. The "War" was not a war at all. It was a series of raids and guerrilla attacks and a few pitched battles, the fighting very much resembled the "social banditry" exercised by the Shaysites a century later. This is not to dismiss the severe losses by both sides, but the label "war" exaggerates the conflict considerably. By calling the series of attacks and counterattacks "King Philip's War," Puritan historians were able to further distance themselves from any responsibility regarding the causes of the war, while reinforcing the theology that the world was a war between the forces of Good and Evil. By calling it his war, King Philip became the scapegoat for Puritan aggression, and furthermore reason for the English colonists to expand into the exaggerated threat. It is true that the actions of the colonists in King Philip's War are inconsistent with the ideals embraced by our Constitution, and might not fit into the "American mythology" attacked by many revisionist historians. Perhaps, though, it's important to realize that even the "Mayflower Pilgrims" who settled this country were less than perfect. And in almost 100 years, the Boston Tea Party came true.

http://www.y-indianguides.com/pfm_st_metacomet2.html

//www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/bdorsey1/41docs/45-ran.html

http://www.georgetown.edu/users/arsenauj/kpwtitle.html
Old October 13, 2001, 11:23   #56
SSBLoveU
Warlord

I just visited the Civilization III site. And it looks as if I can include a different scouting system with the establishment of settlers and outpost. Horse riding scouts can quickly explore the world to find safe places to build and perhaps protect. Well, only 17 days before shipping. I guess I have to wait to carry out my plans.

The only problem that I have is what replaces the philosophers or builders?
Old October 20, 2001, 10:38   #57
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Some people are nice while other people are very strange. I am very concern about some of the strange things that I have read, and I think they have been reported and recorded.
Old October 20, 2001, 12:00   #58
RedWhiteArcher
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:01
I would say that you are one of these stange people.
I (and I'm sure others) still didn't get what exactly do you ask.
Old October 20, 2001, 12:17   #59
Panzer
Warlord

I was feeling fine before I read this thread but now I have a severe headache! This entire thread seems erratic and nonsensical to me!
Old October 20, 2001, 13:28   #60
knott
Chieftain

Gotta love this discussion

Si vis pacem, para bellum /Vegetius