Old September 29, 2001, 13:26   #31
redfox74
Settler

Local Time: 14:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It would be nice to be able to edit the rules and to have more than one unique unit per civ. For example each of the eight civs in the game would have 2 UU's. Or even more...
And therefore more than one golden age.
Old October 1, 2001, 12:47   #32
datakodin
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Sun Zi 36
The Russian golden age, historically, as everyone should agree, is in the second half of the 1900s during the cold war.
Absolutely false. Golden Age of Russia is XIX centure.

Never confuse country and system of ideology.
Old October 1, 2001, 14:01   #33
Crouchback
Warlord

Local Time: 08:02
Quote:
Originally posted by d_dudy

really? an aircraft CARRIER has no attack? i just thought the navy boys ran aircraft CARRIERS right up to battleships and started goin at it.
Hey, in CTP2 (unmodified version) running hordes of carriers into my harbours was a favorite AI tactic. They'd die at the hands of my phalanx.

David
Old October 2, 2001, 03:14   #34
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:02
Somebody needs to help me, but aren't Cossacks Cossacks and Russians Russians? Or is there a sub-culture here I missed?
Old October 2, 2001, 03:16   #35
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:02
Quote:
Originally posted by datakodin

I agree. Russia was never in a golden age state during the 20th century. Even though they have been a major world power, their people are not happy, and their economy is unstable.

[I feel for the Russians, I really do!]
Old October 2, 2001, 08:22   #36
Sun Zi 36
Warlord

Local Time: 23:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
I agree. Russia was never in a golden age state during the 20th century. Even though they have been a major world power, their people are not happy, and their economy is unstable.

[I feel for the Russians, I really do!]
That's the typical American perspective of the Russians. Their economy unstable? R u talking about now with the introduction of capitalism and globalisation, with their currency crisis, foriegn debt problems, high inflation and decreasing GDP? I don't think most russians are happier now than they had been b4 1990. Thats why the communist party is still voted in as the largest party in Russia.

And do u think the Russians were very happy in their state of feudal serfdom under absolute Tzarist rule? Put simply, if they had been happy, there wouldn't have been the revolution.

Quote:
Originally posted by datakodin

And do u think the Russians were very happy in their state of feudal serfdom under absolute Tzarist rule? Put simply, if they had been happy, there wouldn't have been the revolution.

Pls explain how i confused c and s o i AND how that makes my statement false. Russian was one of the most powerful and influencial culture during the cold war. One of the significant features of the Russian culture during that time was the communist ideology.
Old October 2, 2001, 13:22   #37
redfox74
Settler

Quote:
Somebody needs to help me, but aren't Cossacks Cossacks and Russians Russians? Or is there a sub-culture here I missed?
I think you must read the posts of Red Khan in this thread.

Short (in my interpretation):

1) The word cossack is not of Russian origin.

2) Cossacks were (and partly are now) something like a semimilitary "caste" in Russia and Ukraine.

3) Ethnically they are mostly of Russian origin (or more Ukrainian in the Ukraine).
Old October 2, 2001, 14:06   #38
redfox74
Settler

My opinion concerning the Russian Golden Age debate:

XIXth century:

Russia was a big European power in the political and military sence. Caucasus, Middle Asia, Poland and Finland became Russian territories.

Russia had a high culltural and technological boost in this century.

But Russia remained not industrialized and economically backward. The simple people (peasants: >90%) were till 1860 serfs and later very (!) poor and from this perspective it wasn't a golden age.

Second half of the XXth century (especially 60-70-ies):

Military and political power, industry and economics were top and stabil, 90% of the people were happy or at least content (Yes, and I know what I'm speaking of). Culture, education and technology were on the very high level.

But the political system had also it's weak sides. The concentration of the power to a small group of (IMHO unable and not clever) people led to the well known decline of economy. The people became more unsatisfied with their life. ....

But so called "democratic reforms" of Gorbachev and Yeltsin led to a disaster.

I am not sure what criterium to choose to define the Golden Age. If happiness -> 1970-ies. But I agree with the XIXth century, too.

I hope the Golden Age of Russia is the near future