Old September 2, 2001, 19:28   #1
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 13:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 "news" from PC PowerPlay magazine review.
HI Guys,

Just a little "news" I obtained from a PC review magazine from my little corner of the world:

1) On territory- essentially borders and territory greatly advantage a defender in a conflict situation, as enemy units cannot make use of your infrastructure (roads etc), making invasion a slow and difficult process.

2) Air units: These will no longer move like ground units, but will have an "Operational Range" in which they can perform air-missions.

3) Leaders: No exact limit given on # of leaders/civilization, but going on one screen capture I saw, there can definitely be about 4!

Anyway, wish I had more, but most of the article was information that has already appeared here.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old September 2, 2001, 19:32   #2
shum00
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:02
I like the idea of an operational range for air units, though I don't see why enemy units can't use your infrastructure, since a road is a road, no matter who built it.
Old September 2, 2001, 19:35   #3
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 05:02
I didn't quite follow the air units thing, but the territory bit is interesting. Seems to be more accurate, like the defenders getting the "home court advantage." Defenders have access to supply lines, have more morale for defending their patria, and should also get the local support of peasants. I guess giving them a little boost is the best way to show all that.

I wonder if each civ gets their own leader units (Napolean appearing for the French only) or if leader units are sort of random, like Napolean appearing for the Americans. Are the leaders different? Do some have better skills than others at naval combat or building wonders (I think I read about that somewhere)

Thanks Lurker-
Old September 2, 2001, 19:41   #4
isaac brock
Warlord

i'm pretty certain that every civ has its own great leaders, Napoleon will not appear for americans or any civ but the french.
Old September 2, 2001, 20:15   #5
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hi Again,

I agree with jsw363's take on why you can't use an defenders road if it lies within his territory. Additionally, this rule will makes spec-ops forces (those that treat all terrain as roads) that much more important (and worth building). It should be also noted that this rule only applies if the structures lie WITHIN a cities borders! Low culture cities with no borders will be able to have their roads and rail used against them!!! Also, just because you can't use a nations infrastructure, doesn't mean you can't disrupt it. According to the review, enemy units can cut off internal supply routes by blocking roads or by occupying the resource squares in question (though much of this has all been mentioned previously!)
The screen capture showing the leaders was a Roman screen, and 3 out of the 4
were leaders famous Romans like "Hadrian, Caesar etc..", the 4th one had a "Silly" name, which probably served the same purpose as Place-holder art.

On a final note, it is easier to "Expel" enemy (or hostile) units from within your territory!

Yours,

The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old September 3, 2001, 03:21   #6
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Hi JSW363,

I thought I'd try and explain how I think operational ranges for air-units works.
Basically, rather than moving your air-units to their destination like glorified ground units, your air units will basically have an "operational range". If your target lies within that range then you can perform an air mission. Assuming your unit(s) survive the mission, then they will return to home base. I'm not sure, but I'm hoping that this also means that aircraft and AA fire will automatically intercept enemy aircraft that come within their operational range. I'm also assuming that you can move an air unit from city to city (or city to airfield), so long as it lies within the operational range.
Anyway, I hope this clears things up, and I hope I'm on the right track (if any Firaxians are out there, it'd be nice to get this clarified!)

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker
Old September 3, 2001, 08:17   #7
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:02
Quote:
It should be also noted that this rule only applies if the structures lie WITHIN a cities borders! Low culture cities with no borders will be able to have their roads and rail used against them!!!
The effects of culture appeal to me more and more. It will be hard for warmongers now to wage a 'blitz' on my medium-sized perfectionist empire.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 4, 2001, 16:06   #8
Edward
Warlord

Re: Civ3 "news" from PC PowerPlay magazine review.
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
2) Air units: These will no longer move like ground units, but will have an "Operational Range" in which they can perform air-missions.
Gets rid of that bomber wall cheat.
Old September 4, 2001, 18:23   #9
Ralf
King

Quote:
1) On territory- essentially borders and territory greatly advantage a defender in a conflict situation, as enemy units cannot make use of your infrastructure (roads etc), making invasion a slow and difficult process.
Sounds reasonable to me. Some civers may question why the invader cant use neither road-tripled or RR move-rates in enemy-territory. But remember that you only really control the local border-area expanding from the target-city, once you actually have succeeded in taking the city itself. Before that the invader is busy dealing with mines, blown-up bridges, removed roadsigns and so on (besides regular fighting) - all in order to slow down the advancement. Not to mention the usual food/fuel-logistical problems.

I agree though that completely nullified road/RR-bonus seems a little harsh. Treating both roads & railroads as roads with only doubled (not tripled) move-bonus, would be more enough to simulate above. As it stands, there is no incentive whatsoever to make use of enemy-roads - which is unrealistic since (after all) moving your tanks on enemy-roads or through enemy-mud DOES make a big difference.

Quote:
Sounds great!

Last edited by Ralf; September 5, 2001 at 14:32.
Old September 4, 2001, 19:05   #10
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:02
Woohooh, airplanes will now be useful to be build for several reasons. to help protect your units as they travel slowly throught the enemy borders. They now perform missions instead of acting like a ground unit.. I guess Firaxis listened to me when I said the airforce in Civ2 was useless.

Ralf, your idea of gaining half a point from roads and railroads does sound a little bit more realistic but maybe for game terms it's not.

What I would like to see is helicopters being able to hold units. The only units they could hold are special op. forces (i.e. paratroopers, marines, etc...). Possibly three units could be held on a helicopter. Also no need to make two helicopter units (transport copter and normal copter). Only use one helicopter that contain all of the attributes of the two.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 5, 2001, 06:27   #11
Fiil
Warlord

Quote:
The screen capture showing the leaders was a Roman screen, and 3 out of the 4 were leaders famous Romans like "Hadrian, Caesar etc..", the 4th one had a "Silly" name, which probably served the same purpose as Place-holder art.
One of the most famous Roman generals was Sulla. Besides Caesar he was the only one ever to be appointed dictator for life under the Roman republic.

And now for something completely different:

Did anyone else notice that on some of the old screenshoots Screenshoot 1 and Screenshoot 2 some of the roads are wider than the others? Is this just art or are different kinds of roads (if it's still in)?
Old September 5, 2001, 11:05   #12
The Mad Viking
King

Ralf, excellent idea:
Quote:
I agree though that completely nullified road/RR-bonus seems a little harsh. Treating both roads & railroads as roads with only doubled (not tripled) move-bonus, would be more enough to simulate above. As it stands, there is no incentive whatsoever to make use of enemy-roads - which is unrealistic since (after all) moving your tanks on enemy-roads or through enemy-mud DOES make a big difference
I also hope air units will be more useful. Air units should not be destroyed when attacking ground units, unless they are protected by some sort of AA capability. In civ2, a fighter strafing a veteran phalanx on a mountain would be destroyed. Man, those guys sure can throw spears. A bomber squadron would be destroyed by a battleship.

Air attack should be more like spy sabotage, where some hit points are taken off the defender, and the air unit almost always survives, but may take some hit point losses.

Air support should have a chance to disrupt advancing ground units before they attack the city the air unit is in.

But this isi all for naught. In 41 days, we will learn how it will work!

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi
Old September 5, 2001, 13:44   #13
tishco
Prince

the thick roads conect cities so they can trade! when they connect the shortest road route thickens to show its like that!
Old September 5, 2001, 14:02   #14
Roman
King

I am especially pleased by the new system of air units.
The idea of not being able to get a bonus from roads in enemy territory is also good, but I do think that roads should always act as 1 move tiles for the enemy (so moving across a mountain by a road would only take one move).
Old September 7, 2001, 12:01   #15
Edward
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
Before that the invader is busy dealing with mines, blown-up bridges, removed roadsigns and so on (besides regular fighting) - all in order to slow down the advancement.
I know I'd be thwarted by roadsigns in the Aztec Empire, even without any manipulation on their part. Every city sounds like Texacolapax to me. Reading a train schedule would be even worse!