Old September 5, 2001, 18:29   #1
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
More piccies of units on Firaxis website!
http://www.firaxis.com/games_civ3.cfm

Look at the flash animation above the civ3 units. It appears to reveal units!

Archer
Tank/Armour
Mounted Brave (presumable Iroquois special unit)
Trireme (I presume)
Fighter (Spitfire, presumably early fighter)
War Chariot
Helicopter (Chinook, not a gunship, perhaps unit transport)
Knight
Stealth Fighter
Impi (Zulu special unit)

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 5, 2001, 18:51   #2
Adm.Naismith
King

Re: More piccies of units on Firaxis website!
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
http://www.firaxis.com/games_civ3.cfm

Look at the flash animation above the civ3 units. It appears to reveal units!
Heck, you beat me for a bunch of minutes!

Quote:
Trireme (I presume)
Check, it has only an order of oar (is this the word?), not three as a trireme! But of course can be simplyfied

Quote:
Fighter (Spitfire, presumably early fighter)
Exact, probably one of the last series (seems to me it has a 4 blade propeller, but still the wings ending with tips)

Quote:
Helicopter (Chinook, not a gunship, perhaps unit transport)
Stealth Fighter
Correct, CH46/47 Chinook usually is a transport copter. The stealth fighter is the old F117 Nighthawk (odd, but it's already quite an old plane
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old September 5, 2001, 18:52   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 08:06
I still can't wait to see a screen shot with modern units in it, but these will have to do. With Firaxis releasing a pic of a chinook, i'd say air transport is almost certainly in the game. whether or not the chinook will automatically pick up a unit if it flys over it and several other things like off loading and range still need to be answered. I don't like the view of the airplanes they gave us. A top down view of a plane wouldn't fit in with the perspective of the map. I think a side view would be alot better.

(I love the new smileys! )
Old September 5, 2001, 19:42   #4
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 06:06
That doesn't look much like a Trireme to me.

Actually, interestingly enough, I think it looks more like a Viking longboat. Sorta makes you go Hmmmmm.....
Old September 5, 2001, 20:07   #5
dearmad
Prince

Local Time: 13:06
They aren't calling them triremes this time around but a galley instead.

Still looks more like a longboat to me too.
Old September 5, 2001, 20:58   #6
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dearmad
They aren't calling them triremes this time around but a galley instead.
Correct! Thanks to have pointed out this
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old September 5, 2001, 21:03   #7
shum00
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
I don't like the view of the airplanes they gave us. A top down view of a plane wouldn't fit in with the perspective of the map. I think a side view would be alot better.
In another thread there is something about air units having "operational range" instead of actually being on the map. This would explain the view not fitting with the map.
Old September 5, 2001, 21:06   #8
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by shum00

In another thread there is something about air units having "operational range" instead of actually being on the map. This would explain the view not fitting with the map.
The fact that they are renderings would also explain it.
Old September 5, 2001, 22:30   #9
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 21:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Bleyn
That doesn't look much like a Trireme to me.

Actually, interestingly enough, I think it looks more like a Viking longboat. Sorta makes you go Hmmmmm.....
Yup, and a native indian on horseback. That doesn't match with the Iroquois. Hmmmm, indeed.
Old September 5, 2001, 22:43   #10
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Re: Re: More piccies of units on Firaxis website!
Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
Check, it has only an order of oar (is this the word?), not three as a trireme! But of course can be simplyfied
Look closer. It does have three oars. Two in the water and one up in the air.
Old September 5, 2001, 22:54   #11
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Oh my......That there tank was no normal armor.

Why that was a T-34 and the Aircraft was a Spitfire...

Is firaxis not telling us everything, maybe going to suprise us!?
Old September 6, 2001, 06:21   #12
Provost Harrison
Deity

I am sure I recall Firaxis saying that they have animated some units for a WWII scenario, perhaps Dan could confirm this, but there is a chance that the T-34 and the Spitfire could be in the scenario and not in the standard game. However the Spitfire could represent an early fighter (as opposed to later fighters such as the stealth fighter) and the T-34 could be an early tank (perhaps the Abrams represents later tanks). But who knows, I think the WWII idea is probably the most feasible but we will have to wait for confirmation...

...and it is nice to see I have made the headlines again

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 6, 2001, 07:08   #13
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:06
About the boat...
It actually has FOUR oars, not three... to be presice, eight oars = four pairs
And for more about the boat, it looks very much the viking longboat and maybe it is... a BARBARIAN boat!
Maybe the barbarians come in different sizes and shapes, depending on the region
Old September 6, 2001, 07:36   #14
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I am sure I recall Firaxis saying that they have animated some units for a WWII scenario, perhaps Dan could confirm this, but there is a chance that the T-34 and the Spitfire could be in the scenario and not in the standard game. However the Spitfire could represent an early fighter (as opposed to later fighters such as the stealth fighter) and the T-34 could be an early tank (perhaps the Abrams represents later tanks). But who knows, I think the WWII idea is probably the most feasible but we will have to wait for confirmation...

...and it is nice to see I have made the headlines again
That sounds logical, but what about the longboat and the Native Indian on horseback (definitely not Iroquois, or at least it definitely shouldn't be)? It is possible, as Sabre2th mentioned that Firaxis has some surprises in store. Perhaps they are planning to include some units so that people can make their own special Civs.

Then again, these could be old preliminary designs that were discarded.

By the way, that's not a T-34. It doesn't have the sloping front and the wheels are too small. It more closely resembles a Panzer III or possibly a Panzer IV.

Last edited by Tingkai; September 6, 2001 at 07:44.
Old September 6, 2001, 10:45   #15
MishGolden
Settler

Local Time: 07:06
>>>>>
what about ... the Native Indian on horseback (definitely not Iroquois, or at least it definitely shouldn't be)?
>>>>>

Could the Native American brave be how Firaxis decided to represent the Scout unit?
Old September 6, 2001, 11:04   #16
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
About the boat...
It actually has FOUR oars, not three... to be presice, eight oars = four pairs
And for more about the boat, it looks very much the viking longboat and maybe it is... a BARBARIAN boat!
Maybe the barbarians come in different sizes and shapes, depending on the region
What four oars
Old September 6, 2001, 11:36   #17
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MishGolden
>>>>>
what about ... the Native Indian on horseback (definitely not Iroquois, or at least it definitely shouldn't be)?
>>>>>

Could the Native American brave be how Firaxis decided to represent the Scout unit?
I think that's right. I looked at the tech tree and the native on horseback is the unit for horseback riding. The longboat is the unit for mapmaking. I take back what I said. Maybe no surprises afterall. Looks like all of these units are standard, but who knows until the game comes out.
Old September 6, 2001, 11:38   #18
Adm.Naismith
King

Re: Re: Re: More piccies of units on Firaxis website!
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Look closer. It does have three oars. Two in the water and one up in the air.
My bad english is always at work here!
No, I mean a trireme had three orders, lines, whatsoever of oars: they were at different high on the boat, so more slaves can be fit at the job and the ship sail faster. Hope my english is more understandeable this time

Galley will fit nicely. Longboat had a different line, AFAIK, but we never know how many "graphics corner" they cut May be it's a special boat for barbarians only. Only consider that it show standard blue colours (blue bands on the sail) that Firaxis (Dan M.) already explain they used as player colour.
Old September 6, 2001, 12:03   #19
Pingu:
Chieftain

Chinook Air transports? Cool!
I have to say that, although CTP2 was a disssapointment, the Cargo Helicopters were a cool unit to have as support...

Pingu:
Old September 6, 2001, 12:46   #20
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 06:06
Re: Re: Re: Re: More piccies of units on Firaxis website!
Quote:

My bad english is always at work here!
No, I mean a trireme had three orders, lines, whatsoever of oars: they were at different high on the boat, so more slaves can be fit at the job and the ship sail faster. Hope my english is more understandeable this time
Actually, IIRC, the trireme had the multiple ranks of oars not to go faster, but to get up to its top speed faster. I don't know that adding that many extra oars would really add to the top speed, given how much extra weight would go into adding the extra structure, people, supplies, etc to such a ship. I can believe, however, that adding the extra rows of oars would increase the acceleration rate of a trireme.

FYI, in case anyone is wondering, they wanted faster acceleration for battle purposes. One of the main fighting techniques at that time was ramming. The short the distance you could get your ship to ramming speed in, the more likely you were to be able to mess over the other guy anywhere and any time you wanted.
Old September 6, 2001, 14:09   #21
Provost Harrison
Deity

Hey, the Barbarian idea is very good. Actually I did think it looked like a longboat at first but this seemed a little too Viking specific and as the Vikings aren't in the game it didn't seem feasible. I thought it must be a galley of some description, and due to civ history, I assumed it was a trireme. But it would fit very well that certain barbarian factions have longboats to transport their units!

Old September 6, 2001, 16:32   #22
Rhysie
Warlord

Re: Re: Re: Re: More piccies of units on Firaxis website!
Quote:
Only consider that it show standard blue colours (blue bands on the sail) that Firaxis (Dan M.) already explain they used as player colour.
Ack, I hadn't heard that one before... I prefer my civ to be in white, its more of a neutral colour and suits whatever style I decide to play... Oh well
Old September 6, 2001, 17:59   #23
RedWhiteArcher
Chieftain

After giving a few thoughts I think its ok that the Iroquois or any other native americans (south or north) have a mounted unit as long as they won't have horses as resources so they will have to go to Asia or Europe for them.
Old September 6, 2001, 19:08   #24
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:06
it's realistic but not really fair to not have horses in the americas.

maybe there will be a realistic goods on/off option. on-no horses in north and south america off-scattered.

that would make it tougher on the americans, iroquos, and aztecs, but it's always been a strategy to play as a western hemisphere power with just a few or no oppenents, so it could (just maybe) even out instead of being unbalanced.

i guess by the time you make contact with the old world you wouldn't need horses. maybe.

well anyway, i'm really hoping for an option allowing realistic goods. i hope they put the effort into doing it. considering everything else they've done there's no reason why not to have done this.

think about, gold in the dakotas and south africa. hashish and other drugs in south america. it'd be awesome!
Old September 7, 2001, 04:06   #25
Adm.Naismith
King

Galley and blue colour of units
Quote:
Originally posted by Bleyn
Actually, IIRC, the trireme had the multiple ranks of oars not to go faster, but to get up to its top speed faster.

FYI, in case anyone is wondering, they wanted faster acceleration for battle purposes. One of the main fighting techniques at that time was ramming.
True, thank you for better explanation than mine.
Ranks of oars, that's the word .

Ramming tactic needs a robust, heavy ship, hence a greater number of oars. Not sure about acceleration gain (greater mass=more inertia). IIRC romans used to assault the enemy with common soldier, once the ships are connected (easy jam, after a ramming attack). Once the crew was killed, the enemy ship was burned.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhysie
Ack, I hadn't heard that one before... I prefer my civ to be in white, its more of a neutral colour and suits whatever style I decide to play... Oh well
Uhmm, I'm looking back to find the Dan's post. Here it is: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...lor#post446233

tniem was asking:
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
Another thing I have noticed is that all the pics of unique units have had the color blue in the dress of the unit. I hope this means that blue is a generic color and that each civ will have any color that you want to play with them.
The reply from Dan:
Quote:
That's the team color, and it is totally configurable. Beyond the default colors we provide, you can change them to be nearly any color you want using the editors.
a) Confirmed: you can change the color (you're happy ),
b) My guess: a color "marked" unit is a unit a player can command (barbarians aren't). Galley!

Last edited by Adm.Naismith; September 7, 2001 at 04:15.
Old September 7, 2001, 04:24   #26
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by d_dudy
it's realistic but not really fair to not have horses in the americas.

maybe there will be a realistic goods on/off option. on-no horses in north and south america off-scattered.
Are you speaking about the Earth map alone, aren't you?

Any random map make irrilevant any debate on horses and oil placement, IMHO

We also forget to consider that, after the american civ meet the euroasian "hourse mounted" unit, we should manage the appearance and diffusion on the wild of horses. Is it worth the extra effort?

Better than a switch, we should have two different Earth map: one with random placed resources, one with historical realistic placed resources.

I bet my money that the latter will soon become too much prevedible, so almost unused if not for some scenario.
Old September 7, 2001, 04:29   #27
Rhysie
Warlord

Re: Galley and blue colour of units
Quote:
a) Confirmed: you can change the color (you're happy ),
Excellent, that's great, thanks.
Old September 7, 2001, 04:55   #28
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

What four oars
Well, I don't know what word do you use for a thing that you use to make the boat move, it's like a sophisticated paddle
Old September 7, 2001, 16:24   #29
Edward
Warlord

Does this mean that all unit graphics have blue areas in them and the blue areas become the appropriate civ color in the game? In Civ2, purple areas (IIRC) became "transparent" and showed the land behind/beneath them. If the Civ3 blue areas became the possessing civ's color, that'd bring back the units being "civ-colored" (grey tanks for Mongols, white tanks for Russians, etc.) as they were in Civ1 (as opposed to only the shield having the civ color as in Civ2). A great idea.

I think it's also been said that, regardless of how the units look and regardless of what civilization you are, you can choose to be any color you want. Am I repeating an unconfirmed rumor here?