Old September 5, 2001, 21:19   #1
Cube
Warlord

Local Time: 06:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
new buildings
I made some new buildings and have been using them with medmod. The Blacksmith, becuase I thought it was weird it wasn't in there. It adds 10 percent production and becomes available with bronze working and obsolete with flintlock( you could change that If your using another mod). The Electric Plant which I also found weird that it wasn't there. It adds 20% production( using med mod with it's 30% prod for the factory and 60 percent for oil refineries I forgot how little production these buildings add in the original game (15% each) until I downloaded ApolytonPack so you can change this to 10% if your not using medmod) and 10% commerce. It becomes available with electro-magnetism( once again you could change it) and obsolete with fusion. the other building is skyscrapers and it adds 15% commerce and requires the electric plant.

This file is a text file with all the changes I've made to files. So, you're going to have to cut and paste to other files.( dont let this scare you it takes at most 15 minutes, but you are going to have to restart your game) This way it should be compatible with all mods or the original game(heaven forgive!!!! // I don't believe in heaven, but I couldn't find a better way to say this). And it also has pictures for the new buildings from harlan's building pictures.

ps. for a good game you should make the electric plant a prereq for builduings that require power ie. computer center VR amusement park etc. It worked for me, I had to build electric palnts in my coastal cities before the computer center when i discovered computers.

pss
unzip this in another folder( not CTP2) becuase I don't know how to do pathing in winzip, or they won't let me do it with the free version.

well here's the file
Attached Files:
File Type: zip new builduings.zip (65.2 KB, 31 views)
Old September 6, 2001, 10:46   #2
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 07:06
More peices to the puzzle
Cube,

Nice touch. I remember those improvements from other versions like Civ 1 & 2, Warcraft, AoK, etc... Much needed for the detail in this game. Not to mention it will help alot in my next game.

Since you are already making some improvements, let me bounce a couple of things off you:

First, how big do you think the combat units are in ctp2 ? I am trying to figure what would be the best scale for the wargaming aspect as a settler unit is 10000 persons, I would think that the units like phallanx and archers would be somewhat smaller, under 1000 persons. I need to decide if this is workable, because it feels like a 12 unit stack is grossly under powered for what it can do. For scale, the Egyptians were able to raise armies in the hundreds of thousands but I think that included the garrisons. At the battle of Qadesh in 1299 BC. they would have had 3 divisions as follows:

"...A division numbered several thousand men, typically 4000 infantry and 1000 chariotry, organised into ten battalions of about 500 soldiers, which were subdivided into companies 250 strong, platoons of fifty men and ten men squads...."

(http://www.terraflex.co.il/ad/egypt/...opics/army.htm)

So call it in ctp2 terms as I see them: 12 spearmen units and 3 chariots. This would make combat at the strategic level, not tactical. The only tactic would be in unit choices and where to fight. The other problem was the influence of this number of people being pulled out of the general popluation. This becomes even more important with modern units: a WW2 German panzer division was 12000 men with about 300 tanks. Well at least on paper. This included a huge logistics tail and the combat strength was usually around 50% of total when the unit was in action if they were lucky.

Second, this also makes it more interesting when it comes to building in a city and the effects of siege warfare: I need to figure out how to make it so that a city is besieged. This would stop food production, cut production on the building queues, stop trade, affect happiness, and eventually starve the popluation. Should be an interesting thing to create.

Then all I have to do is figure out how to allow an ancient army to plunder a city. It would strip out food, gold, reduce population, and destroy improvements in the surrounding area.

The main point would of this would be to make the armies clash outside the cities as it would be too costly to allow a city to be besieged. Add in the idea of prisoners/slaves and it gets interesting. The only thing missing would be army morale...

Got any ideas/criticism to add ?

Good hunting.

- Chinese Proverb
Old September 6, 2001, 11:49   #3
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:06
Once i had a thought to decrease the number of citizens per city number size. Somethinihg like a 1000. So i would increase the city growth making size 10 cities a small city size and size 100 a common size. That way i would have Warfare units taking a pop off the city like a settler.

That was going to be awesome and realistic.

I could do those change but the balancing was going to kill me. I would have to start new games and keep playing for a lot of turns since those need long term testing.
Not to mention to redo all the Production costs of all units improvements, wonders and tile improvements; the Science cost of all advances; and probably the gold too.
It would have to be always played in a extra-gigantic map like the Apolytons one since the facility to make settlers unless they take more than a pop (what would give a counting problem). And after all that still having to check how he AI was handling the changes.

Still, i think it is a good idea.
-Jean Rostand
Old September 6, 2001, 12:12   #4
Pedrunn
King

Funny, while writing this last post some ideas cleared in my mind. The gold, Production and science could be balanced just by changing the governments characteristics.
The extra-gigntic map is easy to make.
And having the Peter Triggs Unit Updater the AI (and ourselves too) is less likely to disband its city when building units.

So the bigger work that i would have is the testing. If someone accept to test it with/for me i could make those changes.

Other great change is to increase the time lenght adding new buildings.
-Jean Rostand
Old September 6, 2001, 12:33   #5
Pedrunn
King

The only good idea about beseiged that i see is to make code that makes a tile unworkable when a enemy unit is over it.
Still we have to teach the AI how to use it.

Morale. Thats why i like the IWs Wonder units. it gives this effect. When a stack has one of those wonder units all of its units gets a status of Veteran. Or a code that makes all units veterans when the happiness becomes higher than 78+. And having the lost of units (battle) having a bigger effect over the happiness.
What holds to a better idea is the lack of experience levels other than the Veteran status.

I'm getting the civ3 feeling back when i used to give ideas to new features .
-Jean Rostand
Old September 12, 2001, 13:33   #6
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
Once i had a thought to decrease the number of citizens per city number size. Somethinihg like a 1000. So i would increase the city growth making size 10 cities a small city size and size 100 a common size. That way i would have Warfare units taking a pop off the city like a settler.

That was going to be awesome and realistic.
After posting this ideas i decided to make them real. And i did make it to my mod.
I increased the city growth organized some others things like max growth and city sizes. Although the 1 city size still equals to 10.000 people but the city sizes arent unrealistics like the quote above.

I made the possible to let it balanced. Althouugh i still think that the science is slow (needs more play testing). I suggest increase the Knowlegdecoeff by +0.1 or +0.2 in all Govs (AS_govern.txt) if needed (please tell me if you do).

Every infantry unit (assault, defense and ranged) now removes a pop when built and the adds when disbanded over a city.

I already played almost 200 turns and a thing that really made me happy was the AI handlind amazing sometimes looks even better than the regular game (No, it is not disbanding itself)
If someone interests it can be find in hexagonia's website or get in this link:
http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/hexa...lute State.zip. Its size is 1.5 MB but you need to have MM2 already installed.
It does not have charts included yet but if someone wants the ones that are ready just ask me (Conventional Units, Advance and Wonder charts). I hope to include this weekend.

When you start modswaper you get 2 options
The PedrunnMod: Absolute State v1.0 (this option is all balanced and ready to play)
and Absolute State v1.0 Quck Growth.
This last one is the on with these changes.

Here is the readmes draft
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; September 13, 2001 at 09:20.
Old September 12, 2001, 13:50   #7
Pedrunn
King

Ooops forgot the Readme
Attached Files:
File Type: txt readme.txt (8.7 KB, 14 views)
-Jean Rostand
Old August 25, 2002, 12:09   #8
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:06
ka-*bump*

So, Pedrunn, have you made any updates to this in the past year? Is this or some other version of the mod ready for the Directory?
Old August 25, 2002, 23:25   #9
Pedrunn
King

I have the newest version but i have bumped in two problems GL and testing.
The first all modders know it is a pain.
And the second i cant ever finish a whole game since there is always a new code/feature to add or something to fix.
But basicly the mod is ready as a beta.
-Jean Rostand
Old August 26, 2002, 07:22   #10
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:06
Okay, cool. Perhaps you could upload the latest beta to somewhere where we can download it then? I'd love to have look at this. And the more people play-testing, the faster it goes