Old September 6, 2001, 18:28   #1
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 may NOT be released w/ Multiplay support?
I was reading the below listed thread and the posts indicated that Civ3 will most likely NOT ship with Multiplayer support, rather the multiplayer function will come in the form of a later-to-be-released upgrade/patch:

Civilization III preview in Finnish gaming magazine

Now I remember reading on the Firaxis FAQs that multiplayer would be supported. If I recall the wording, Firaxis' response was something like ..."You bet. Civ3 will have the ability to multiplayer using TCP/IP, Lan, ect"....

Well, I went back to the Civ3.com site and again looked up Firaxis' response to the question "Will there be multiplayer support for Civ III?" which is located under "The Civilization III FAQ: General."

This is NOW the response listed for that question:
We're working on some unique things with multiplayer, but we're not ready to start talking about it yet. It has always been challenging to make multiplayer really fun in turn-based games and we're looking at new ways of approaching that.

So, this is leading me to conclude that Firaxis has run out of time to place multiplayer support in the game and still make their October USA release date. It still looks like Firaxis has plans for Multiplayer support for the game, but it will be released later....

Of course, there has been complete silence so far from Firaxis concerning my question of how many human players can be supported in Civ3.

So, unless there is a change, it looks like anyone hoping to have a Civ3 multiplayer game when the game is released will have to wait.

Last edited by Wittlich; September 7, 2001 at 00:28.
Old September 6, 2001, 18:31   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:08
They didn't say that it was not going to be included they said it was a possibility.

The last thing we need around here is more uninformed rumours.
Old September 6, 2001, 18:53   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
They didn't say that it was not going to be included they said it was a possibility.

Osweld, if you would have read my post word-for-word, you would of course noticed I stated that Civ3 MAY not be released with muliplay support.

There is a purpose to this thread...to find out if I'm am the only forum member who is under the assumption that Civ3 MAY NOT be released w/ multiplay support.

You are right Osweld, Firaxis didn't say that it wasn't going to be included...but even you agree that they said it was a possibility So Osweld, I accept your apology.

The release of Civ3 is a little over one month away and they won't commit one way or the other concerning multiplay?! Does this have me worried? You bet.
Old September 6, 2001, 18:53   #4
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 07:08
Quote:
We're working on some unique things with multiplayer, but we're not ready to start talking about it yet. It has always been challenging to make multiplayer really fun in turn-based games and we're looking at new ways of approaching that.
This doesn't say that there won't be multiplayer. It says that they don't want to say exactly what kind of multiplayer options there will BE yet. The fact that there WILL be multiplayer of some sort is pretty much guarenteed.

-theonion.com
Old September 6, 2001, 19:02   #5
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
I stated that Civ3 MAY not be released with muliplay support.
No, what you said is that Civ3 may NOT be released with muliplay support.

You are making it sound like a miniscule possibility that it will have multiplayer. Before you know it people will be saying that Civ3 is single player only.
Old September 6, 2001, 19:10   #6
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:08
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by connorkimbro
This doesn't say that there won't be multiplayer. It says that they don't want to say exactly what kind of multiplayer options there will BE yet. The fact that there WILL be multiplayer of some sort is pretty much guarenteed.
OTOH, if I´d want to courteously say 'NO, THERE WON´T BE MULTIPLAYER SUPPORT', I´d put it exactly that way.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 6, 2001, 20:34   #7
Lung
King

Local Time: 23:08
There better be PBEM! I'll say again...

There better be PBEM!!! If not, then i'm going to be really pissed OFF!! If they don't, i'll be sticking with CtP. Call it crap if you will, but PBEM is better than no PBEM every time!
Old September 6, 2001, 20:47   #8
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Old September 6, 2001, 20:55   #9
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 08:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
NO UNINFORMED RUMOURS!?! Sacrilege! Apolyton has a long and honourable history as a gathering of uninformed rumour mongerers par excellence.

Now, if you wanted to ban informed rumours, I could get behind that.
Old September 6, 2001, 22:22   #10
Rommel393
Warlord

I dont think that would be a smart move by Firaxis unless the multiplayer they come out with is REALLY, REALLY AWESOME and free. If they try and charge you money for a multiplayer add on that would piss me and many other civers off for sure. Firaxis doesnt need any torch brandishing mobs outside of their building.......
Old September 7, 2001, 00:11   #11
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 08:08
Re: Civ3 may NOT be released w/ Multiplay support?
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
I was reading the below listed thread and the posts indicated that Civ3 will most likely NOT ship with Multiplayer support, rather the multiplayer function will come in the form of a later-to-be-released upgrade/patch:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...&threadid=25964
Witt,
I tried that thread and its dead. This raises the question: Did it ever really exist? From whence comes this irritating information of a delay in multiplayer support?
Old September 7, 2001, 00:26   #12
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Re: Re: Civ3 may NOT be released w/ Multiplay support?
Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius
Witt,
I tried that thread and its dead. This raises the question: Did it ever really exist? From whence comes this irritating information of a delay in multiplayer support?
In this Forum, the thread is titled:
Civilization III preview in Finnish gaming magazine

Falconius, let's see what impression it gives you...
Old September 7, 2001, 01:41   #13
connorkimbro
Emperor

To make this discussion easier. .
Since the thread starter didn't quote, nor provide a working link, here is the quote he is referring to. .

Quote:
- The fate of multiplayer is still unknown, and it is highly possible that multiplayer gaming is added via a patch or add-on disk.
That quote does indeed make it sound as if there may not be. However, rather than actually THINK that there may not be, this only makes me doubt that the article, especially this quote, is even close to accurate.

For a game to be released these days WITHOUT multiplayer is suicide, Firaxis knows this. I'm confident that there will be multiplayer, and that this article is wrong.

-theonion.com
Old September 8, 2001, 03:34   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Hearing the latest word about Civ3 Multiplay - I rest my case.
Old September 8, 2001, 05:45   #15
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 23:08
Firaixs ???
Have any Firaxisians responded to any of these posts ... could they please explain what is going on ????
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old September 8, 2001, 08:49   #16
Patriqvium
Prince

Local Time: 15:08
Well, while the Finnish preview's choice of words was pointing out that the chance of having multiplayer is quite low... and since some people are recieving mysterious e-mails from Firaxis employees, it seems to be that multiplayer will be added next spring in some form... whenever that means an add-on disk or a free patch is still unknown.