Old September 16, 2001, 18:01   #241
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
if civ3 SP sells well, there will never be a freeMP patch!!! To get MP included now or later for free, civ3 SP must not sell well!!!!!
Ahh...don't be such a cheapskate. for 25 bucks (the price of 3 movies) you can buy the expansion pack and spend hundreds of hours on the net playing MP. Don't be so weak, Ras. It's not going to kill you to pay for something. Go get a paper route or what ever. If you worked for even one evening instead of surfing 'Poly, you'd have the cache to pay for the expansion.
Old September 16, 2001, 18:06   #242
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy

In this case Firaxis had no choice. They sign on with Hasbro Interactive. A year later Hasbro Interactive was gobbled up by Infogrames. Multiplayer may not have been a feature made manditory in the original contract. Seeing that it was an add-on for Civ and Civ2, this is quite possible.
Bull-kaka. They still decided to sign up. They could have worked on Dinos if they wanted to. And btw, they've had 2 years to work on Civ. They could have hired extra people if they needed to. Or just drafted a more realistic schedule in the beginning. instead they are just being typical programmers with piss poor planning.
Old September 16, 2001, 19:25   #243
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

Local Time: 13:09
If there is a reasonably stable multi-player available in Civ 3, all things are off. I will write an apology to Firaxis and Infogrammes for trying to reduce their sales.

Ozzy:
We agree that well-written yet critical reviews that sway potential buyers from the game can work. Without buying the game, we don't have the say. In Hong Kong, it is easy to get pirated game CDs at US$1.5 (not to mention getting the game from warez site.) But what we are trying to achieve is a fairly-priced Civ product that allows both producer and consumer to gain. You may call me queer but my position is:
To criticize, I must first legally obtain the product.

In this case, our purchases will lead to MORE people not buying the product and may lead to a change in Infogrammes policy. We can take GP's position to enjoy the SP and buy the MP later. But this won't change Infogrammes' policy.

GP:
I may pay gladly if they don't advertise multi-player as a major feature of Civ 3. I have been paying (and willing to pay) a few times for Civ-related products (Civ 2, MGE, ToT). I probably will stay silent (yet buying the game. I like Civ afterall.) if they advertise in advance that multi-player is not in game.

We now need a lot of people who can writes reviews well. Unfortunately I am not among one of them.
Yet I will still try my best, hoping that fate favors the diligent ones.
Old September 16, 2001, 19:38   #244
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 09:09
Well I diiiid suggest Markos to buy me Civ 3 for a review, but so far the e-mail box is empty...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old September 16, 2001, 19:50   #245
isaac brock
Warlord

Local Time: 08:09
GP: Yeah, they could have worked on Dinos. But they wanted to do Civ 3. They aren't legally allowed to make a Civ 3 under any other publisher. So I believe Firaxis had less of a say in this then you give them credit for. If you think they're sell outs, then just say fugg that and buy Frogger 3 instead. But if you've seen the light, and you know that Civ 3 will be as sweet as they claim, then buy a game that'll satisfy your gaming needs, buy Civ 3. I know a lot of people are sucking up to these MPer freaks to achieve some unholy ends, but who cares whether MP is released as a patch later on? not me. And even if about half the apolyton people are MP players, the real civ buying population don't care at all. In fact, I bet the MPers on this forum are just two people with multiple accounts. I'm not afraid of you people, you can't get me. You can flame me to hell, but you can't break the spirit of this great nation.
Old September 16, 2001, 19:54   #246
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

Yin:
Work an extra day and buy Civ 3. Write an excellent critical reviews. Treat it as public service to the community.

I need to work part-time at McDonald's for 3 days to buy Civ 3.
Maybe you can buy the game for me?
Old September 16, 2001, 20:02   #247
isaac brock
Warlord

yin: Why don't you not plan to write a critical review? How about you play the game and give it an honest review based on whether or not you liked it?

And Chow Yun Fat, shame on you. Stop corrupting yin's mind with your dirty sinful thoughts!
Old September 16, 2001, 21:57   #248
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Stop corrupting yin's mind with your dirty sinful thoughts!
LOL! Thanks, Isaac. I think Chow is just looking for a free copy...same as me.

I won't PAY to review the game. It's that simple. And since Firaxis will NEVER in a million years send me a review copy, it's all up to Markos now.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old September 16, 2001, 22:23   #249
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Chow Yun Fat
Yin:
Work an extra day and buy Civ 3. Write an excellent critical reviews. Treat it as public service to the community.

I need to work part-time at McDonald's for 3 days to buy Civ 3.
Maybe you can buy the game for me?
I hold down a living wage job working in a freakin Cubicle and live in a small apartment. What there asking is simply too much. Ok I can afford 62.00 bucks of Civ3. But another 39.99 for a mplayer edition just so I play PBEM . It just sounds like way too much to pay for a thin metal disc with data on it. I could wait till the bargain bin. But i have anticipated Civ3 for so long I would feel guilty . Guess I will have to think of somthing

Yea, Im also considering piracy
probably wouldnt take long to crack the 'exe'
Old September 17, 2001, 04:07   #250
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by isaac brock
GP: Yeah, they could have worked on Dinos. But they wanted to do Civ 3. They aren't legally allowed to make a Civ 3 under any other publisher. So I believe Firaxis had less of a say in this then you give them credit for. If you think they're sell outs, then just say fugg that and buy Frogger 3 instead. But if you've seen the light, and you know that Civ 3 will be as sweet as they claim, then buy a game that'll satisfy your gaming needs, buy Civ 3. I know a lot of people are sucking up to these MPer freaks to achieve some unholy ends, but who cares whether MP is released as a patch later on? not me. And even if about half the apolyton people are MP players, the real civ buying population don't care at all. In fact, I bet the MPers on this forum are just two people with multiple accounts. I'm not afraid of you people, you can't get me. You can flame me to hell, but you can't break the spirit of this great nation.

I don't think you notice what side I'm on.
Old September 17, 2001, 04:08   #251
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chow Yun Fat
If there is a reasonably stable multi-player available in Civ 3, all things are off. I will write an apology to Firaxis and Infogrammes for trying to reduce their sales.

Ozzy:
We agree that well-written yet critical reviews that sway potential buyers from the game can work. Without buying the game, we don't have the say. In Hong Kong, it is easy to get pirated game CDs at US$1.5 (not to mention getting the game from warez site.) But what we are trying to achieve is a fairly-priced Civ product that allows both producer and consumer to gain. You may call me queer but my position is:
To criticize, I must first legally obtain the product.

In this case, our purchases will lead to MORE people not buying the product and may lead to a change in Infogrammes policy. We can take GP's position to enjoy the SP and buy the MP later. But this won't change Infogrammes' policy.

GP:
I may pay gladly if they don't advertise multi-player as a major feature of Civ 3. I have been paying (and willing to pay) a few times for Civ-related products (Civ 2, MGE, ToT). I probably will stay silent (yet buying the game. I like Civ afterall.) if they advertise in advance that multi-player is not in game.

We now need a lot of people who can writes reviews well. Unfortunately I am not among one of them.
Yet I will still try my best, hoping that fate favors the diligent ones.
Gosh...don't sound so sad. I thought you wrote a very smart post with all the scenarios. Here will it cheer your up if i pay for your MP disc?
Old September 17, 2001, 04:11   #252
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 14:09
Quote:
Originally posted by GP

Gosh...don't sound so sad. I thought you wrote a very smart post with all the scenarios. Here will it cheer your up if i pay for your MP disc?
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old September 17, 2001, 05:54   #253
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

Isaac:
I would be glad to take up the post of evil priest of Apolyton so long as there are converts. Bow under the almighty MP!

Yin26:
I must bring you to the racecourse sometime! It is GP and you that discover my true purpose! Well, hopefully you will play 2 more months of EU before starting on Civ 3.

Faded Glory:
I heard that after 1 or 2 weeks after game released, US stores will have the 1st wave of discount. Maybe you can buy at that time. You could have get a much better price than US$62 for Civ 3. (Unless you want the Limited Edition)

GP:
Thanks for the offer. I will remember to pick up the MP disc if I visit Georgia. I would rather have you writing something to enlighten Infogrammes though.

Guess that I will lay low for the moment to avoid verbal barrage. I will pick this topic up again just before Civ 3 released for maximum impact.

I really hope that all our heated discussions being nullified by a good MP solution by Firaxis.
Old October 6, 2001, 19:05   #254
Melios
Chieftain

Look, maybe the person who E-Mailed Mister Pleasant didn't have her facts straight or was going by indefinite information.

I still have no reason to believe it won't have MP.
Old October 6, 2001, 19:09   #255
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 07:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Melios
Look, maybe the person who E-Mailed Mister Pleasant didn't have her facts straight or was going by indefinite information.

I still have no reason to believe it won't have MP.
well, that "person" was the PR rep. for the game. but whether or not MP is included is yet to be seen.
Old October 6, 2001, 19:32   #256
kennymae
Settler

no MP confirmed by Amazon
Amazon has removed the MP description from their feature list of Civ III.
Old October 6, 2001, 19:36   #257
isaac brock
Warlord

i think no mp isn't actually "confirmed" unless they say in the features list "no mp."
Old October 6, 2001, 19:41   #258
Melios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo

well, that "person" was the PR rep. for the game. but whether or not MP is included is yet to be seen.
And what if that information is no longer relevent?

Firaxis could've decided at the point it may delay it but since then has already decided to implement it in the initial release.
Old October 6, 2001, 19:42   #259
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

I really don't see how people have yet to accept the fact that MP won't be released with the game. It is waay beyond mere rumor. I have little doubt at all that we won't see MP for quite a while. Just look at the screen shot at civ3.com that shows the start up screen, no MP option there at all. That should be all the proof you need.

Also, some optimistic people seem to think that Infrogames will just give away MP for free as a patch when it is finished. This is highly foolish, they WILL charge us again. You can count on that.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old October 6, 2001, 19:59   #260
Melios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP
Just look at the screen shot at civ3.com that shows the start up screen, no MP option there at all. That should be all the proof you need..
There are some problems with your claim:

1. Who said that's going to be the FINAL start-up screen?

2. What if you have to go "New Game" or "Load Game" to start/load an MP game?

Old October 6, 2001, 20:07   #261
isaac brock
Warlord

It is not way beyond mere rumour that MP won't be in the game. For all the evidence given, it still remains what it was at the beginning of this thread: a rumour. At best, it's only slightly beyond mere rumour. Absolutely no proof. Multiplayer could be inside the new game menu. Or it could be non-existent. Either way, I don't really care, because if multiplayer isn't in it, it will be patched.

I know what you think, "You don't understand because you don't play mp!" No, I don't care about mp, that is more than true. I'm just doing my part to curb the omnipresent MPer b*tching that runs rampant in this forum. The game will stand on its own for the months before MP patching, and scenario makers can set things up so that you have some added variety once you do have your wretched multiplayer.

In the words of practically everyone on this thread, "B*tch b*tch b*tch b*tch b*tch."
Old October 6, 2001, 20:39   #262
Melios
Chieftain

Though I'll be playing SP at lot (particularily at first), I DO want to play Multiplayer Civ3.
Old October 6, 2001, 20:42   #263
JellyDonut
Prince

I haven't played MP and could care less if Civ III doesn't ship with it because I'm an isolationist Civ player and I suck at it.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 6, 2001, 21:23   #264
Zealot
King

Well, I need a new PC to play Civ3. And since I will afford it only by April, I'm not in a hurry to get Civ3 MP.

But it's really sad to see that we need to spend 40$ later this month (for americans), and then have to give some more for the MP option. Of course I expect some extra units, and techs and scenarios. Maybe those extra 16 civs (with Portugal in! ) are there! But it's an extra expense. And that is hard to give for some
of us...
Old October 6, 2001, 22:05   #265
Melios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Zealot
But it's really sad to see that we need to spend 40$ later this month (for americans), and then have to give some more for the MP option.
No one officially said you will have to buy an MP edition at a later date.

Why is almost everyone assuming this is true when there's no proof and is only a rumor?
Old October 7, 2001, 02:19   #266
SITS
King

For all the Single Players out there who don't understand why the Multiplayers are complaining about the lack of MP - just imagine Firaxis releasing Civ3 with MP but no SP. How would you feel then?
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 7, 2001, 04:44   #267
Crouchback
Warlord

Quote:
4th day and still no word. . .
What? I was on this board just yesterday and this thread didn't even exist, and the first post is dated "07-09-2001 16:41".

Quote:
MarkG, they had Monday to respond.
OMG it's Tuesday? I'm late for work again.

Check watch and discover it's early Sunday morning here in the UK.
So it's all been a bad dream after all...

I'd bet money that they're having the same problem Activision had with making the bargaining table approach to diplomacy work in MP. CTP2 MP never really worked right, hence they're reduced to playing succession games in that forum. But they had better not expect me to pay extra for an MP patch, and in this day-and-age that is what it will be not an add-on or expansion pack.

That said I will buy the game, and IMHO people saying they'd pirate the game really won't have helped in getting a Firaxis response. Boycott the game by all means, but never steal several years of hard work. They're ought to be some penalty for making that sort of threat, being lumbered with the title "cheapskate loser" perhaps?

What worries me more is the lack of substantive details on the AI beyond a vague suggestion that Governors learn from a player's mistakes. Why no demo to show off their fighting fit new system? No public beta so no independent test of the game play? Now that is worrying me after the disaster of CTP2.

David
Old October 7, 2001, 07:05   #268
Gyromancer
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

LOL,

Isn't it amazing how 10 pages of posts were generated in just one day?

It seems that cooky European date thing even confuses the British at times.....
Old October 8, 2001, 00:01   #269
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
What? I was on this board just yesterday and this thread didn't even exist, and the first post is dated "07-09-2001 16:41".
European Dating system. This thread has been here about a month. The post in question was made by me over two weeks ago, Firaxis or Infogrames have had even longer now to answer.

Quote:
But they had better not expect me to pay extra for an MP patch, and in this day-and-age that is what it will be not an add-on or expansion pack.
My guess is that it will be an expansion pack with a few civs and scenarios but nothing that is worth it that the online community cannot do themselves. Little value in my opinion other than the MP component.

Quote:
What worries me more is the lack of substantive details on the AI beyond a vague suggestion that Governors learn from a player's mistakes. Why no demo to show off their fighting fit new system? No public beta so no independent test of the game play? Now that is worrying me after the disaster of CTP2.
Exactly.
Old October 8, 2001, 00:18   #270
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

damnit, I know Firaxis is busy...but it's been a month.

Personally, I'd be quite pissed if MP was something they're going to charge for in the future. I payed 19.99 for MGE and that had MP included. I'm paying damn near 70 dollars for CivIII LE and I'm not getting MP with it?!

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui