Old September 7, 2001, 23:25   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 08:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What would you name the Chinese UU then?
Much has been made about the bland name of the Chinese unit.
"The Rider". I do agree that it's rather unimaginative, but it has grown on me somewhat. At least much more so than that "Attack of the Clones" thing (what was Lucas thinking???).

What would be BETTER names for Chinese UU if you were the developer?
Old September 8, 2001, 00:19   #2
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:11
You probably know I don't think they should have a cavalry unit at all. Perhaps they could have an infantry unit and call it the Walker, cos it walks around. Or a crossbowman, and call it the Shooter, cos it shoots stuff.

Sorry, but I can't resist mocking the Rider name.

Its a good question though. Maybe if we come up with something really good they'll change it, just like how they changed the skin tone of Cleopatra. Cavalry for some reason is one military branch that seems to lack descriptive names. Civ2 had to resort to calling a late cavalry unit "Cavalry", probably cos they couldn't think of anything better. Unfortunately, so much of the time, cavalry is just called cavalry, or if you want to get really descriptive, light and heavy cavalry.

Any ideas, anyone, please? Anything is better than Rider! Monkspider, would you be happy with Attack of the Chinese Guys on Horses?
Old September 8, 2001, 00:25   #3
monkspider
King

"Any ideas, anyone, please? Anything is better than Rider! Monkspider, would you be happy with Attack of the Chinese Guys on Horses?"
LOL

I think the inherent problem with China is that it doesn't really lend itself to a unique military unit as most of the other civs do. So to me, a cavalry based UU seems as good as any. But I can't think of anything to name it that would give it that little bit of chinese flavor. In a way, I appreciate the name "Rider", as it seems to have a bit of "bad assedness" to it (probably because it reminds me of Ghost Rider for some reason). But in any event, I think there is definitely room for quite a bit improvement, although I can think of nothing better personally.
Old September 8, 2001, 00:44   #4
mactbone
Prince

Maybe the Chinese UU sould be all those Stone statues of individual soldiers?
Seriously, maybe it should be a Junker (isn't that what their war ship was called)? Or maybe, just some random infantryman, I mean they had millions of them when most nations were using considerably less. Thta might be too much like the Immortal though...
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old September 8, 2001, 01:00   #5
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

I think there are lots of good Chinese unit possiblities (and yes, the Junk is one of them), but let's not worry about that here. Let's assume for this thread that the unit stays with the "Rider" heavy cavalry concept, but we need to find a better name for it. I think if we put our collective heads together, we can come up with a better name, can't we?
Old September 8, 2001, 01:43   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

The Terra Cotta Warriors of Xi'an (Shee-ann) ?

that would be funny.
Old September 8, 2001, 01:46   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Cooler words for calvary (from Thesaurus.com)

combatant; disputant, controversialist, polemic, litigant, belligerent; competitor, rival, corrival; fighter, assailant; champion, Paladin; mosstrooper, swashbuckler, fire eater, duelist, bully, bludgeon man, rough.

janissary; myrmidon; Mama, Mameluke; spahee, spahi, Cossack, Croat, Pandoz; irregular, franctireur, tirailleur, bash-bazouk, guerilla, condottiere.

mercenary; bushwhacker, free lance, companion; Hessian.

private, private soldier; Tommy Atkins, rank and file, peon, trooper, sepoy, legionnaire, legionary, food for powder; officer (commander) [more]; subaltern, ensign, standard bearer; spearman, pikeman; halberdier, lancer; musketeer, carabineer, rifleman, jager, sharpshooter, yager, skirmisher; grenadier, fusileer; archer, bowmann.

horse and foot; horse soldier, foot soldier; cavalry, horse, artillery, horse artillery, infantry, light horse, voltigeur, uhlan, mounted rifles, dragoon, hussar; light dragoon, heavy dragoon; heavy; cuirassier; Foot Guards, Horse Guards; gunner, cannoneer, bombardier, artilleryman, matross; sapper, sapper and miner; engineer; light infantry, rifles,chasseur, zouave; military train, coolie.

i think they just lumped in a ton of war words
Old September 8, 2001, 01:57   #8
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 09:11
Here is a great rundown of China and the horse: http://www.imh.org/imh/china/ed/History.html

Looking through there, I came up with: The Wudi Raider.

Quote:
During the Han dynasty (206 BC-AD 220) ... under Emperor Wudi, the Chinese expended vast amounts in their efforts to import better horses from the West.
Notice I said RAIDER and not RIDER. I wonder if Firaxis just made a spelling error?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old September 8, 2001, 01:59   #9
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Hey, I like the sound of it!

"The Wudi Raider"...sounds like it would kick some butt.

Old September 8, 2001, 02:22   #10
korn469
Emperor

even just Raider sounds more intimidating and less generic than Rider...so a few civs will get really unique names such as the F-15, immortals, legions, panzers and a few will get really bland names such as the bowmen, warchariots, riders
Old September 8, 2001, 03:05   #11
monkspider
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Hey, I like the sound of it!

"The Wudi Raider"...sounds like it would kick some butt.

I like it!!!!
It isn't quite as reminiscent of Ghost Rider sadly, but definitely a marked improvement. "Raider" is far better than rider and Wudi gives it some much needed Chinese flavor!
Old September 8, 2001, 03:48   #12
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Wudi Raider sounds too much like the Woad Raider unit in AOK. Anyways, raiding was extremely atypical of Chinese cavalries.

I like this comment from the General forum:

"As an ignorant pop-culture-raised American, I would have liked the 'rider' to have a cool Asian-sounding name (however inaccurate), be wielding a bow, and have multicolored samurai-esque armor."

I think a Chinese name would be good, and while at first strange, people would come to know and love it, a la the Woad Raider (who knows what the heck Woad means?). What's the Chinese word for cavalry, for starters??

I did a little digging in a couple resources I have. I could not find what the Chinese call heavy cavalry; however, their name for their horse archers was "lou-fan". Also, the Chinese categorized their armies as having ordinary forces and extraordinary forces. The extraordinary forces were called "ch'i". Sun Tzu himself says on the subject: "use the ordinary forces to engage; use the extraordinary to win." Sounds like a special unit to me!

So, lacking anything better for now, howabout Ch'i Horsemen? Or give em a bow and call them Lou-Fan or just Horse Archers. Horse Archers should be in the game as somebody's special unit, in any caase.
Old September 8, 2001, 03:55   #13
Melios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
Mama
That would be quite an imteresting name for a military unit.

Although, were it not for the fact the Rider doesn't seem to be a Cavalry Archer, it could be called Mangudai. Unless you don't like the idea of a Mongalian horse archer as the unique Chinese unit.

Maurader is another idea.
Old September 8, 2001, 04:52   #14
Red Khan
Settler

Local Time: 15:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan
I think a Chinese name would be good, and while at first strange, people would come to know and love it, a la the Woad Raider (who knows what the heck Woad means?).
Woad is a plant that grows in Scotland. Did you watch Braveheart? The blue paint comes from this plant. Scotish warriors useed to paint thier faces to be more scary and/or for disguise.

On topic. How about just calling it cavalry or raider in Chinese? It will surely sound Chinese. Again a parallel with AOK. Chinese UU there is Cho-Ki-Nu. I never heard of it before, but now I know that it's a crossbow that automatically recharges itself. (Kind of that appears in Gladiator, in the scene with warchariots) And who cares that the crossbow was called like that, not the troops that used them, since it sounds Chinese. Anybody knows Chinese here?
Old September 8, 2001, 05:02   #15
Melios
Chieftain

It was a crossbow that could fire several bolts in a row. I think it basically had some sort of mechanism that loaded the next bolt as it fired one. So you could get it to fire 6 or 7 shots in a row. However, it probably depended more on a "spreadfire pattern" that wasn't accurate individually rathar than the precision of European Crossbows (but even those were probably required less training than average bows),
Old September 8, 2001, 05:55   #16
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

By the way, I just looked up the Chinese characters for 'cavalry' and it's two characters put together:

1) Horse (ma) + Soldier/Warrior (ma) = Mama

Of course, that sounds odd to us English speakers, so give me a little more time to come up with something different.

Old September 8, 2001, 07:34   #17
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 14:11
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
My favourite Chinese UU would be the Mandarin, but it seems that there are no diplomats in Civ3. But the inventions of the breast-strap harness and the stirrup were significant, so it seems ok to make the Chinese UU a cavalry unit.
However, I see no mentioning of a "Wudi Raider" anywhere, raids were made AGAINST China by the nomadic tribes in the north. Because of the inventions mentioned above I have no problem with the name "Rider".
Old September 8, 2001, 08:16   #18
jsw363
Prince

I have no problem with Rider from a technical point of view. (The soldier does RIDE the unit), it's more of an aesthetic problem.

Not such a fan of "Wudi Raider" either (though "raider" alone is preferable to rider). I think I'd like just Wudi better, but that's inaccurate.

Mandarin would definitely be a cool UU. Don't know how they woud give him a diplomatic advantage though. More movement points? Increased reputation?

And on a side note, you can't call the UU a Junker as that name refers to Prussian nobility. The Junk is the Chinese ship, though I don't know how effective a UU that'd be. (Wish that they had unique naval units for each civ too)
Old September 8, 2001, 08:33   #19
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 13:11
Mama? I'll stick to Rider thank you very much. Wudi Raider? I kind of like it, it's certainly better than Rider but I'm sure we can do better. Hey Firaxis how about giving us a hand coming up with a new name? You know it can hardly be worst than... Rideeeechr.
Old September 8, 2001, 08:38   #20
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I know people associate raids with the nomadic tribes. Give me a little more time...I'll find a cool name.

Old September 8, 2001, 09:02   #21
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Well, I still think the Chinese UU should be called Crossbowman (or Chu-Ko-Nu, if you will), but since we're stuck with a cavalry unit anyway, how about something like Soulun Horseman, Soulun Cavalry, Soulun Raider or just plain Soulun? Here's an excerpt from a webpage on Parthian Horses:

Quote:
When Qian eventually returned to China with a dozen Parthian horses and two thousand others, many of these Akhal-Teke types, Wu Ti was so impressed with the Parthian horses that he gave them the name of Heavenly Horses. Over the years, a legend grew up that these horses were descendents of dragons. In fact the Chinese name for the Parthian horse is Soulun, the vegetarian dragon. It was also claimed that the Soulun sweated blood, which may have been caused by a parasite, an interesting parasite that infected no other breed of horse.
This Wu Ti figure is of course the same guy as Yin's Wudi but the name Soulun refers to the actual horses rather than to the emperor under whom they were brought to China.
Old September 8, 2001, 09:37   #22
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

YES! Perfect. I think you nailed it. Great work.

Old September 8, 2001, 11:00   #23
monkspider
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
how about something like Soulun Horseman, Soulun Cavalry, Soulun Raider or just plain Soulun?

Perfect!! Are you listening Firaxis?
Old September 8, 2001, 13:57   #24
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:11
Completely off topic
Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan
Sun Tzu himself says on the subject: "use the ordinary forces to engage; use the extraordinary to win." Sounds like a special unit to me!
Nope

Sunzi was talking about strategy there. He was saying that a general must do the unexpected to win a battle or a war. There were special units, sure, but those were few and far between.
Old September 8, 2001, 14:23   #25
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Well, I still think the Chinese UU should be called Crossbowman (or Chu-Ko-Nu, if you will), but since we're stuck with a cavalry unit anyway, how about something like Soulun Horseman, Soulun Cavalry, Soulun Raider or just plain Soulun?
Yuck! That sounds completely aweful to an authentic Chinese.

My suggestion for the unit is hurang. Hu is tiger, and rang stands for repulsing or taking by force. Another possibility is hubai, where bai means "breaking with hand."
Old September 9, 2001, 04:40   #26
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Urban,
Here is some of the text around that quote, from a book on the Chinese military in the Warring States, Chin and Han times.

"Elite infantry units were popular; those of Ch'u were armoured crossbowmen who were trained for severn years and could march 100 miles 'without resting'. Other elite formations were the ch'i or extraordinary forces, whose main function was surprise. They were selected from the strongest and bravest men, often by drafing one from each five-man squad. Wu Chi'i's Art of War suggests other sources for shock troops, such as men who have disgraced themselves and wish to make amends by acts of courage. The ch'i units would not have been distinctively uniformed, as they were relied upon to deceive the enemy after the ordinary troops had pinned him. Sun Tzu's advice is to 'use the ordinary forces to engage; use the extraordinary to win.'"

I think this clearly contradicts your statement that special units were few and far between, at least between about 600 BC and 400 AD. Yes he was talking strategy, but also using terms that had specific meanings for the time he was writing.

Soulun has a good ring to it, but if Urban Ranger speaks Chinese and gives it the thumbs down, then I guess back to the drawing board. I'd like more info on what contexts hurang and hubai have been used in.
Old September 9, 2001, 05:48   #27
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Well, in Korean (which often uses the Chinese), hurang-do refers to a martial artist and has nothing to do with a horse. As for the 'bad-sounding' of the name above...it was good enough for authentic Chinese as some point in history.

Old September 9, 2001, 12:03   #28
Urban Ranger
Deity

Harlan,

I am not sure where your book got the info from. I can't say it's incorrect, from what I know though there are some problems:

- There is little information about early military history, but unit organisation seemed to be particularly lacking

- ASAIK there was no standing organisation to Chinese armed forces until after the Qin dynasty was overthrown. Nothing like the modern unit sizes such as divisions and regiments. An army was just a group of a number of combatants.

- Sunzi (Sun Tsu) wasn't talking about special forces. That much I know for sure.

As for my suggested name for the unique unit, I just pulled it out of thin air They are in line with the names of elite forces, though. They were generally given some names based on ferocious predators such as tigers or bears. Long (dragon) was not in general use; it was reserved for the emperor.

Yin,

Hun Wu did send a large army to attack a neighbouring country for some horses after a request for those horses were refused. That country was called Diwan in Chinese history records, I have no idea if that's the same as Parthia. At any rate, large numbers of men died in the desert and in battles for a small number of horses. So it was not possible for those horses to be used in any military unit at all.
Old September 9, 2001, 13:23   #29
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

UR,
Those horses came from Fergana (according to my source that's Ta Yuan in Chinese, I presume that's the same as your Diwan), Parthia. There was indeed a number of battles for these horses in which many Chinese died but eventually the Chinese were victorious and brought back around 3,000 'regular' Parthian horses plus anywhere between a dozen and a few hundred of these 'heavenly horses' (depending on which source you believe), both male and female. According to some sources the Wu-sun (inhabitants of Ta Yuan) also had to pay an annual tribute in the form of more of these horses. In any case, back in China the Chinese emperors breeded large numbers of these horses and most certainly used them in combat as well - at least until the T'ang dynasty, but probably much longer (though they were long believed to be extinct, recent research showed, with photographic evidence, that at least some of these horses still exist in China today).

These horses were, as stated earlier, legendary and were known under at least half a dozen names, the most famous ones being Heavenly horses or Celestial horses (Tianma in Chinese), Blood-sweating horses (no idea about the Chinese name) and Thousand li horses (Qianli ma). I did a little research and it turns out that there are at least hundreds, if not thousands of Chinese companies, golf clubs, etc, that have the word Tianma in their name, so that would seem like a very suitable name for our Chinese cavalry unit ('Tianma Horseman' or something like that).

There are literally hundreds of websites that mention these horses, just use a search engine and search for "heavenly horses","blood sweat horses" or "Chang Ch'ien" or something like that if you need more info. Good sources are FE here and here.

Edit: added URL, first one wasn't quite as good as I thought.

Last edited by Locutus; September 9, 2001 at 13:37.
Old September 10, 2001, 00:26   #30
Urban Ranger
Deity

Locutus,

Hm. The Chinese records indicated that the tianma lost their abilities after a couple of generations, so their descedants became normal heavy warhorses. Furthermore, they were supposedly the emperor's own personal horses, not for military use.

"I did a little research and it turns out that there are at least hundreds, if not thousands of Chinese companies, golf clubs, etc, that have the word Tianma in their name, so that would seem like a very suitable name for our Chinese cavalry unit."

It's just not the tradition, you see Chinese military used to name the heavy hitting units tiger-this, bear-that, etc. Tianma just doesn't have the power and ferocity