View Poll Results: Will the possible lack of MP support affect your decision to buy Civ 3?
No, Multiplayer doesn't interest me that all that much 89 52.05%
Possibly, I will probably still buy it if Single Player mode is extremely good 33 19.30%
Yes, Multiplayer is of great importance to me and I will almost certainly not buy it if MP isn't included 45 26.32%
No Opinion 4 2.34%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 8, 2001, 01:21   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 08:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Will the possible lack of MP support affect your decision to buy Civ 3?
Will the recent announcement of possible lack of MP support affect your overall decison to buy Civ 3?
Old September 8, 2001, 05:01   #2
Sliparac
Settler

Local Time: 14:11
No... I don't have any friends on the internet to play civ3 with anyway
Old September 8, 2001, 05:09   #3
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sliparac
No... I don't have any friends on the internet to play civ3 with anyway
Also, most customers (way over 70%, I belive) are still stuck with slow unreliable 56K modems. Im not against MP, though - if they manage to bundle it together with the initial game-release, then thats fine by me.
Old September 8, 2001, 05:28   #4
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 23:11
No MP No Civ
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old September 8, 2001, 10:19   #5
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Although it would have been nice to try multiplayer for the first time, I´m mainly interested in single-player games.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 8, 2001, 10:41   #6
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

BTW, MarkG, would you mind to 'top' this poll? Contrary to some polls that were posted in the last weeks, I think this one is quite important.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 8, 2001, 10:44   #7
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

I have posted re this non MP in the civ2 MP section so hopefully we can get some more MP players to vote here as this forum is obviously biased towards SP ... But who knows, the MPers tend to be an apathetic lot some times
Old September 8, 2001, 10:45   #8
Dylan Baker
DiploGamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 13:11
I also will not be buying unless multiplayer is included.
Old September 8, 2001, 10:54   #9
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

I don't play SP, don't care to play SP, will not ever be interested in SP, those days wer done with the end of Civ I.

If Civ III is SP only, they just lost a customer.
Old September 8, 2001, 10:55   #10
markusf
King

Time to get it off a warez site.
not a chance in hell I will buy the game if there isn't MP. I think the programers there still haven't come out of the bush league. I mean civ2 was buggy as hell, and no civ3 won't have MP support? Like come on who do you think your kidding? This kind of thing was acceptable 5 years ago, but since when do you hear of a modern game not having MP support?
Old September 8, 2001, 10:57   #11
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

PLUS, SP people are dead head wankers who wouldn't know true Civ if it bit them on the ass.
Old September 8, 2001, 11:01   #12
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

I´m not sure if this forum is biased, Rasputin, but it´s a good idea nevertheless to post a reference to this poll in other forums. I think we´re all interested in a representative answer regarding this no-multiplayer fact/rumour (whatever you like to call it).
Old September 8, 2001, 11:08   #13
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
PLUS, SP people are dead head wankers who wouldn't know true Civ if it bit them on the ass.
Just as much as you wouldn´t know moderate language?
Old September 8, 2001, 11:09   #14
markusf
King

Lets face it, the only ones who will buy civ3 are the hard core SP players in this forum. For the rest of the world they will look at the package and see no MP support. If i have a choice of CPII, master of orion and CIV 3. I will pick the other 2 anyday because i won't have to throw them in the trash after mastering SP.
Old September 8, 2001, 11:11   #15
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Definatly biased ... Look at the poll result so far it was 21 to nil till I posted here and once the news Hit MP th enext 9 votes were for MP must be in.... Not saying it is a bad thing, most MP people are too busy playing games to actually read al lthis stuff here in these forums and over at firaxis.com
Old September 8, 2001, 11:13   #16
EyesOfNight

I will download civ3. I will not spend money On Sid Leirs games anymore.

Old September 8, 2001, 11:19   #17
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

markusf, if you don't like the game, just don't get the game.
Why get it from a warez site? It's not a effective means to protest against Firaxis.

Firaxis (or any game developers in fact) does not care much about warez dudes. Most of the warez dudes won't pay money to buy the game. However, a game fan getting warez alienates the fellows who pay money to buy games. Why hurt your friend's feeling while the main culprit does not care about your action?

A more effective protest will be hitting the developers at their potential client base. That is, the new players. Sneak a few fast reviews in big game sites citing that "I can't play this game with my friends and the computer is too stupid." and make some friendly chat at your local software stores like "Oh! You can't play this game with friend, don't you know?".
Old September 8, 2001, 11:28   #18
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 06:11
If there is no mp i won't be buying it.
Old September 8, 2001, 11:37   #19
vlad
King

Local Time: 06:11
I really can't picture Civ3 being released without MP so I don't think we have to worry much. I will buy it either way,but would cancel my preorder and wait a month or 2 to get it. I can honestly say I have never played anything but MP and that is certainly where my excitement over civ3 is directed.
Old September 8, 2001, 12:09   #20
Powerslave
Settler

Civ 3 is scheduled for october 2001 that is pretty soon. Multiplayer will be included perhaps not in the box but it will come later probably as a free download. Well are you all willing to wait for Fireaxis to finnish the multiplayer support before offering it to us? Well if so you will have to wait many months before you will be able to play Civ 3.

I will buy the game even if it doesn't support multiplayer in the box and I do expect them to offer it to me later as a free download.
Old September 8, 2001, 12:09   #21
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 15:11
I will buy Civ3 with or without multiplayer. I have never played multiplayer and I have no interest in it! But I can understand that people want it!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old September 8, 2001, 12:22   #22
dearmad
Prince

I think the poll is starting to tell the truth about what Firaxis already knows about their game- SP is more important than MP. It is for me. I HATE looking for flaky human opponents sometimes and just want to relax and romp around the little artificial world in Civ.

And all the anger directed at them is really embarrasing coming from a bunch of Apolyton folks, expecially in light of the fact that Firaxis is committed to putting MP into the game as soon as they can.

I'm glad the crew at Firaxis are working so hard on the game DESIGN and not the game *features*.
Old September 8, 2001, 12:25   #23
Dylan Baker
DiploGamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

I think that your ability to read polls is really, really questionable. What I gather from the poll is that Firaxis has succeeded in royally pissing off about half of their client base.
Old September 8, 2001, 12:33   #24
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

exactly Dylan, this poll was here for a day with 21 votes for SP only.. in a few hours of notifiying the MPers we have amassed nearly 40% of the vote... Wait till tomorrow when all Time zones have read this and take a stand... And too many of you are assuming a free MP patch... What if they ask for another $35 US for the update as per Civ2MPGE !!!!!!
Old September 8, 2001, 12:36   #25
squid
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by EnigmaticGod
I will download civ3. I will not spend money On Sid Leirs games anymore.

This is outright theft. Developers work hard to make games, and for this they must be paid. Equipment must be purchased. Designers must be payed to make the art, the CD's, etc. A game is tremendoulsy expensive to develop.

So, if you don't like the game, you should not buy it. Theft (piracy is a euphimism) hurts everyone in many ways:

1) Firaxis will make less money, and possibly lose money on Civ3
2) Game companies across the industry will drive up prices for law
abiding citizens
3) The quality of games will decrease across the board as game developers go to work for other industries.

As a software developer, you, my friend, are completely without my respect.
Old September 8, 2001, 12:45   #26
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by squid
So, if you don't like the game, you should not buy it. Theft (piracy is a euphimism) hurts everyone in many ways:
I feel that releaseing a patch and charging for it when hte feature should have been in game from start is theft too !!!
Quote:
As a software developer, you, my friend, are completely without my respect.
And Firiaxis is completley without my respect for allowing this rumour to persist with no reponse which leads us all to the conclusion it is FACT !!!
Old September 8, 2001, 13:13   #27
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 15:11
I will buy civ3 also without mp. But I will not pay for an upgrade to use mp.
Old September 8, 2001, 13:16   #28
splangy
Prince

HAHA, look at the poll, the mp-ers are loosing BAD its kinda sad...
Ill get the game, and wont buy another if its just for MP. Why? Becouse MP sucks Massively, im tired of being booted by 12 yr old retards becouse I took there city, im tired of playing a game once and never finishing it, im tired of the constant F*cking heating (caused by all of you loosers who lack a life, you have to re-asure yourself that you are good at somthing, so you cheat to beat a newbie to MP by editing the rules and other **** that you think is funny, then you come to a forum and sit around bragging that you beat a newbie. WOW, your all soooo cool )

Civ is a SP game and Im Kinda pissed that they are taking time away from a good AI and using on MP features. Look at the poll and you can figure out that NOONE wants MP besides those of us without a life ( you CANT have a life if you wait THAT long for a turn to go by, and you put up with a host who cheats and robs new players of a FUN game)

About nebies not wanting it without MP; Newbies to ALL games want MP, but always play SP first, the civ gener is based around SP, they will figure that out and not give a damn that it lacks MP, besides, newbies tend not to run out and buy a game the day its released, and instead get it later on. by then we will have MP.

ONE person said that it will lack MP, thats not a basis for what everyone here is saying. Infact I HIGHLY doubt it wont have MP upon release...

* Braces for MP flames * *Dosent get flamed becouse all MP'ers are waiting for there turn to end and dont check this thread*
Old September 8, 2001, 13:21   #29
Martinus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
I feel that releaseing a patch and charging for it when hte feature should have been in game from start is theft too !!!
No. It may be a bad commercial decision, or may be not. It may also make the game expensive or even over-valued (IMHO not, as I would be willing to pay for the MP patch). But it does not make it a theft, and certainly does not justify a theft on behalf of a player.

Tell me, my friend - how often do you steal things that you consider expensive or over-valued?
Old September 8, 2001, 13:27   #30
Juggler
Prince

The lack of MP support won't affect my decision to buy it but as I've said on other threads, it will take me some time before I do it.