Old September 9, 2001, 18:31   #1
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Local Time: 13:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Turns of ACS03 (No-Crawlers)
This is the game turn thread for ACS03, the SMAC No-Crawlers Challenge Succession Game.

Rules
----------

This is a SMAC Solo Play game using 'standard' succession rules, except that the human-controlled faction may not design or build any type of resource supply transport unit (crawlers, trawlers, etc). Note: the game handles this restriction automatically, so neither the human faction or the AI factions will be able to build supply transport units (I think).

Game Settings
--------------------

- University of Planet
- Transcend Difficulty
- Huge Random Map
- 50%-70% Surface Water
- Average Erosion/Cloud Cover/Native Life
- All Victory Conditions Active
- Directed Research
- Unity Pod Scattering
- Unity Survey Off
- Random Faction Personalities (Same Agendas)

Player Turn Order
-------------------------

1. Scipio
2. Arima
3. johndmuller
4. Qantaga
5. Smack

Game Years per Player (by Rounds)
--------------------------------------------

Round 1 ~ 20
Round 2 & 3 ~ 15
Rounds 4+ ~ 10

After the first round, any player can play an extra 5 years at their discretion.

Last edited by Scipio Centaurus; September 10, 2001 at 01:38.
Old September 9, 2001, 18:34   #2
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

ACS03 - Report to the Board of Regents, MY2100-2119
------------------------------------------------------------------------

2101 - University Base founded. Partial survey data from Unity indicates our HQ is located in the deep 'southern' latitudes of Chiron, on the extreme SE end of a medium sized peninsula extending from a more sizeable landmass consisting of predominately rugged terrain - including at least one major impact crater.

Our Research Department completed their preliminary analyses of Chiron's ecosystems. Their summary report (Findings of the University Commission on Remote Studies of the Primary Ecological Subsystems of Alpha Centauri A2) is available for download to any computing device with connectivity to the University Research Network (keyphrase: Centauri Ecology).

The Research Department has now been commissioned to focus its resources on an investigation into the psychological effects of colonial life on the human inhabitants of this planet. Members of the faculty and student body, as well as the general public, are encouraged to follow along and contribute to this vital effort. The research staff have agreed to make periodic progress reports available on URN (keyphrase: Social Psych).

An extended duty expedition field team is dispatched to collect cartographic data for the general vicinity of University Base. A second such team is currently being trained and equipped. When the second team is dispatched, they will takeover the task of the first team and the first team will proceed immediately to the site of the impact crater. Our office is aware of the dangers of leaving University Base without a garrison, but we believe that adequate defensive resources can be assembled if needed and that the need to acquire information about our immediate environment is paramount.

The auxiliary colonization team is dispatched in the general direction of the main part of our landmass with orders to assist the expedition field teams in mapping the peninsula and establish a second port city on the 'western' coastline of the penisula.

2102 - Our carto team located a Unity Pod. Analysis of the pod's flight telemetry led the carto team to the location of a monolithic structure of non-human origin, NW of University Base! We are assembling a xeno-archaeological survey team to investigate this magnificent find.

The design for the new terraforming units has been approved and the prototype units are in production.

2103 - Our carto team has discovered a second Unity Pod! This pod contains data files that will help us to establish an industrial base when we are ready for future expansion.

Regretably, the carto team also discovered that the point of narrowing of the peninsula (near its middle) is completely overgrown with some sort of pinkish matlike vegitation that is far too dense for unassisted removal. It looks like our terraformers already have their work cut out for them. The carto team has been instructed to make their way past this vegetation as best they can and continue their trek to the crater. This finding may render our near term colonization plans academic.

2107 - We learn Social Psych and begin researching Biogentics.
2109 - We found Monitoring Station.
2112 - We learn Biogentics and begin researching Secrets of the Human Brain.
2117 - We learn Secrets of the Human Brain and Centauri Empathy. We begin researching Planetary Networks.

Summary for MY 2120
-------------------

We have had no contact with other Unity survivors.

We are far behind schedule in our colonization efforts, but with the clearing of a navigable passage through the fungus, we should move quickly back on track. If we do encounter competition for the main landmass we are in position to quickly develop naval capabilites to compensate.

We are well ahead of schedule on our research goals, due primarily to the fortuitous discovery of the data files on Industrial Base and the fast track to Secrets of the Human Brain. A variety of Secret Projects are now ready to be researched.

Our primary weakness is our military capability. The long lost University Base garrison unit is presently in Monitoring Station with marching orders to head home.

Dutifully submitted for your edification and amusement

- Scipio Centaurus, Chancellor, University of Planet
Attached Files:
File Type: zip acs03-2120.zip (51.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Scipio Centaurus; September 11, 2001 at 00:39.
Old September 9, 2001, 19:16   #3
Arima
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:16
Turn Summary 2120-2139

Greeting fellow commisioners! Many of you will be surprised that no fraction submited during my reign, but unforutnately, our survey of the crater reveals an unfortuanate event.

We have Morgan next to us. He was friendly as usual, giving us a polite call demanding money of us. I gave him 20 credits, and we signed Treaty. I established the last available base that we could, and started waiting.

2130ish, under recomendation of the "Committe for Common Sense", University Base started Weather Paradime, in order to have an attempt of raising land. As well, the same aforemention commitee advised us in researching Doctrine: Mobility. I accepted their recomendations. The other two bases are building recycling tanks.

This is a much harder start then before. Good luck to the other commisoners.

-Commisioner, Report to General Assembly.

(Excelent job on Abadaleen, Smack!)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip acs03-2140.zip (53.9 KB, 3 views)
Old September 10, 2001, 02:04   #4
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Good news! Our old comrade-in-arms johndmuller has agreed to ride one more time with us to the sound of the guns! I will let him know that his game turn awaits him.

I apologize in advance if this game gets away from us too quickly. I wasn't terribly impressed with our HQ location, but I went ahead and played the first 20 years and having no contact with any other factions, I took the gamble that we might have the landmass to ourselves. The other game start I attempted was worse than this one.

Let's go ahead and play through the first round and then decide whether and we need to start anew. Sometimes a difficult starting position can lead to a very satisfying game. I do understand that the reverse is also sometimes true. I can't begin to tell you how many SP games I have abandoned in similar situations to what we see here.

Bottom line... the lack of crawlers should be more than enough of a challenge.

Might be a good idea to brainstorm ideas on how to get out of this predicament.

1. Rover Rush Morgan
2. Mindworm Rush Morgan
3. Mind control Morgan's bases
4. Raise acres of colonizable land from the sea (Arima)
5. Colonize the sea
6. Colonize neighboring landmasses
7. Lumberjack Survival Strategy
8. Pop boom Univesity Base with colony pods from the other bases
9. Start over

- Scipio

Please feel free to suggest other ideas.

Last edited by Scipio Centaurus; September 10, 2001 at 18:20.
Old September 10, 2001, 10:52   #5
Qantaga
King

I'm glad to hear johndmuller will be with us again.

As to the game, it is quite an interesting starting position, but as Scipio says that should give us a good challenge.

Scipio's strategies are percolating around in my mind and I have an idea as to which strategy to use against our old friend Morgan, but I will hold my thoughts to see what johnd thinks after his series of turns.
Old September 10, 2001, 19:57   #6
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Report of Provost HerrDoktorProfessor JohnDMuller presented to the Board of Regents
---- re Colonized Planet 1, Chiron, MY 2140-60

Well, before I looked at the game I said to myself, "HerrDoktorProfessor JohnDMuller, ve are nicht going to start ze wvore mit Herr Morgan like dhoze udder twigger-happy ProvostHerrDoktors vood doo; Nicht !"

Well, shortly into my turn, Herr Morgan sends a goon over the craterwall to shake us down again. "So sue me, HaHaHaHa!", I say; He goes on at great length and all I understood from his blah, blah, blah was "vendetta", but while the goon is talking to his lawyers instead of his soldiers, I notice that the "goon" is just as wet behind the ears as our guys are so I shoot him with our deadly Hand Weapon (90% damage, but we won!). Haven't seen him since, but dispite appearances (and his lack of appearances), the game says he's number 1 in the military category . . . go figure.

Anyway, I played the "border game" with Morgan and pushed him back enough to let us "turn the corner" - Our land now looks more like Italy, having added a band across the top. I abandoned and recently resettled the base now known as "Antarctic Sabbatical" in order to execute the border game; I had envisioned letting Otkrietia-Discovery get abandoned also with the formation of the CP that founded Antarctic Sabbatical, but I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention and all of a sudden there were 2 people there and so it still had one left after the CP, . . . so it's still there starting off another CP; feel free to do whatever.

We researched Herr Doktor Mobility and Herr Doktor Flexibility (at long last) - at least those 2, I might have forgotten one - and are positioned for taking the military approach, with a Command Center and a Half and Synthmetal being prototyped. We are now working on Applied Physics (ETA 7 years) so that we can build Laser Rovers and perhaps take over MorganLand with Provost HerrDoktorProfessor JohnDMuller's brand of Piece-ful Coexistence. I figure that Command Center Laser Recon Rovers, enhanced by a monolith, might be enough to roust Morgan; in the meantime, the Snythmetal Garrisons should keep him at bay if he comes calling. I don't know what, if any defense he has (he doesn't seem to have perimeter defenses), and he'll probably have pretty green troops, so we should be able to do the rover rush thing. We've got plenty of scout patrols to occupy his ex-bases too. Of course, a look see before attacking is always possible (a bit wimpy though).

What with all the time we've lost dorking around with the border game and having stagnation at University base (due to drone stuff) you'd think we would be further behind than we seem to be. And mirable dictu, we look like we will actually get the @^%#%$% WP which has been obsessing University Base all throughout my term of office.

It looks like we have several clear paths ahead of us.
-Kick Morgan's Butt and/or continue standoff and settle more around the west side.
-Do some nautical stuff
-Welcome back University Base to the productive ranks
-Whatever turns you on.

Turn Posted and emailed to Qantaga.

How come the .sav file is so large?
Is that a result of the messing around with the .txt files?

This document prepared by graduate students working under the supervision of:
Provost HerrDoktorProfessor JohnDMuller
Attached Files:
File Type: zip acs003-zak-smac-2160.zip (60.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by johndmuller; September 10, 2001 at 20:09.
Old September 10, 2001, 20:43   #7
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Re: SAV file size discrepancy

We're playing on a huge map - I think we were on a standard (maybe large) map in the last game. Don't know if that's causing the size problem though.

I only had to change a couple of prerequisite tech listings to the word "disable" in the alpha.txt file. It's hard to believe such trivial changes could wreak any serious havoc with the game SAV files...

- Scipio
Old September 10, 2001, 23:20   #8
Qantaga
King

Hello my University friends.

I have the turn. Unfortunately, I had a long day of work and flights and I am finally getting settled in for the night. I will take a look around at our little world tonight to get a feel for things, but it will be tomorrow afternoon before I will be able to play the turn. Sorry for the delay. I will have it posted by tomorrow night.
Old September 12, 2001, 19:48   #9
Qantaga
King

Hello everyone. I hope this finds all your families and friends safe and well.

I am sorry to have delayed the game. I am stranded away from home. Thankfully, I will be able to get home tomorrow. I am looking forward to playing this turn, but I will be unable to do so until Friday. I will completely understand if you guys want to skip over me for now. So, just post if someone is going to grab this turn. If I don't hear otherwise, then I will play and post the turn Friday.

Thanks.
Old September 12, 2001, 21:30   #10
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Scipio reporting in. I can wait for the next turn.
Old September 15, 2001, 08:20   #11
Qantaga
King

Hello my University friends!

I am sorry for the delay. It has been quite a week and it was difficult trying to get home. No complaints from me, though. It was a minor inconvenience compared to what so many have had to deal with this week.

On to the game:

We are in deep trouble.

Report to the Administration - University of Planet 2160-2180

When I chose "turn complete" to end year 2160, our neighbor Morgan moved an IMPACT Infantry unit next to one of our Scout Patrols. CEO Morgan then called on the commlink and told me that he would derive great pleasure from removing me from the face of Planet. He never even gave me a chance to speak.

I realized we were in danger since we did not even have Applied Physics yet. I changed the SE settings to 50/0/50 to try to generate a little cash. I switched away from Green, since I knew that was making Morgan angry. I changed production queues to get a Probe Team and a Scout Defensive.

Over the next several years, I tried to protect our empire as well as I could. In 2167, Morgan brought 4 Impact Infantry units next to Bushidii Dvor and 2 next to K.Observatory. YIKES!

I moved everyone out of B.Dvor and watched as Morgan burned it to the ground. He then contacted me and demanded D:Flexibility. I had no choice but to give it to him. He then also demanded Centauri Ecology. Again, I was in no position to resist, so I gave him that as well. Finally, he agreed to a Blood Truce.

In the time since, we have discovered App.Physics and started working on Non Linear Mathematics to get some Impact units of our own. We also have the Weather Paradigm. The Empath Guild and the Virtual World are available, but I could not afford to put any resource into them.

We have infiltrated Morgan's datalinks and we now have enough cash to subvert one of Morgan's units if necessary, but we need to be a lot stronger before we can challenge him.

Our empire and our people are in a very tenuous position and I regret that I left our empire in such poor shape, but my only goal was survival. Hopefully, the next time I get to occupy the Provost's seat, I will be able to repay Morgan for some of his arrogance.

Respectfully submitted,
Acting Provost Qantaga

Good luck!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip acs003-zak-smac-2180.zip (64.5 KB, 2 views)
Old September 15, 2001, 10:06   #12
Avenoct
Prince

Report to the General Assembly: Mission Years 2180-2200

Greetings Comrades, fellow Regents and Governors. I, Provost Smack, will attempt to bring satisfaction to the people of the University during my tenure. It is perhaps fitting that I, one of our, shall we say 'militaristic'?, Governors has come to this office during such a time of crisis. I assure you that we may look forward to twenty years of bloodshed, rapine, and horror. However, I shall do my best to foist these upon our enemies like an ancient catapult shot of Misery and Loss, or perhaps, a cow, rather than allow their perpetuation upon our Innocent and Superior Populace. I can also assure you that these 20 years shall flow by in the space of a single Universe-Day.
-Strength Comrades,

Provost Smack
Old September 15, 2001, 13:12   #13
Avenoct
Prince

2180: Production: 2 CP's, a Transport at University Base, a probe, and a rec tanks.
There do appear to be 3 general options for surviving this period in our development as a nation.
1. Leave 'Little Italy'. Send CP's to neighboring landmasses and hope for the best.
2. Attempt to subdue Morgan. A daunting proposition.
3. Attempt to develop the Empath Guild and wait it out.

I've decided that we must insure our survival by sending two groups of colonists to a neighboring landmass in the east. However, I do feel that we must hold on to our original colonies because we might never catch back up if we abandon them now, because we have a handy SP (WP) in University Base, and because I believe it is possible that we may subdue Morgan eventually.

To these ends I've restructured our build queues to produce 2 CP's and a transport. Unfortunately this meant terminating the wise construction of a biology lab and a recycling tanks. We will probably have to go green to deal with the massive amount of defense that Morgan has erected to thwart our attacks. I am quite nervous that Morgan will break truce even before we can develop our 'insurance' plan, or construct adequate counterstroke units (mindworms or 4-1-2's). However, I will pay almost any price to get to these points as a war now would be our last, surely.

2181: I learn that the Gaians are about to construct the Virtual World. Though quite dissappointing, it is quite expected at this late date.
Rushbuild the Rec Tanks at Mendelev College.

2182: Transport Built at University Base. A new continent awaits us only one nautical mile to our southeast!

2183:
Pay a 50 credit fine to Morgan...blah!

2184:
Grab a floating AA near Mendelev College on the way to picking up our CP.
Am attempting to connect our 'Empire' by roads.

2185: Discover Non-Linearity, Researching Plasma Steel. I will attempt to steal all Morgan's tech when we are in a position to defend ourselves somewhat.
AA yields Polymorphic Software, which is good as it gives our Probes a boost. Speaking of which, I've been focusing on making probes for a major probe offensive vs. Morgan whenever he up and declares war again.

2186: Borehole finished in Italy. Now to start making some 4-1-2's for counterstrokes. Italy is connected by roads. Land CP and Former on Corsica. Pop pod with 150 EC's...too bad Morgan will probably ask for them. I'm going to use them to rush-build something.

2187: Joyous Day! Morgan has removed his 2 4-2-1's from our neighborhood, for some reason. I won't ask.

2188: Corsica Founded.
Rush-building another CP at Antarctic Sabbatical.
Producing: 2 4-1-2's, a MW, a CP, and a Rec Tanks.
Forces: 2 CP's 3 Formers, 6 Scouts, 1 Transport, 4 Probes, 1 1-2-2 scout defensive.
The borehole seems a bit early considering we're nowhere near restriction-lifts unless we meet some neighbors soon!

2189: Another CP arrives at Corsica, disbanded a Probe to help with another Transport at Antarctic Sabbatical. I see some evidence of land to our West and judging by Morgan's Base Count, he's probably not there.

2190: Learn that the Morganites have pronounce Vendetta on the Gaians! Great news! Celebrations break out all over our empire.
2nd CP on Corsica moving to neighboring island which was forested via a pod..will have to connect them with a landbridge.

2192: Found Academgorodok near Corsica on a tiny islet. Am shipping a second Former to the islands to help with development and land bridges. Plan to keep Italy separate from a Corsica-conglomerate in case we are overrun on Italy.
Learn that the western area is partially occupied by Morgan and am maneuvering a lone CP through treatcherey to find a safe colony spot.

2197: 3 4-1-2's and a MW are active. We are sending a probe team via our Foil Transport to check out the landmass nearer the equator. Am moving down our single AA to possibly help construct the Empath Guild at UV Base. Am having to retreat the CP on the Western branch of Morgan's Empire, but sofar we'ver renewed our truce 3 times at no cost. I think Morgan's getting his teeth kicked in by Deirdre.

2199: On the eve of the century Morgan Transport was aquired through emergency management. The emergency response was triggered by a renewal of Morgan's Extortionism. Having suffered enough humiliation at the hands of that money-grubbing capitalist, we let him declare war, then stole 2 techs from him (Free Mkt. and Plasma) and followed up with the annexation of Morgan Transport. Here at the heart of the Garland Crater we are surrounded on all sides by the enemy. All sides but one, our own.

Additionally, as it was to be the eve of our discovery of Plasma, researchers quickly modified their research toward Industrial Automation. Sadly, they have failed to develop a truly automated industry and all our plans for creating 'supply' units to ferry production factors to our bases are scrapped. However, we do percieve that our knowledge of the Automation Process will lead us to great discoveries in related fields in the near future.

2200:
Corsica and Academgorodok are now bridged. A CP is on it's way east around the cape in search of fertile ground, our Transport and Probe has nearly reached land in the NE, and otherwise we are in good stead. Scipio, I leave the 'Empire' to you!

-Provost Smack
Attached Files:
File Type: zip acs003-zak-smac-220.zip (70.6 KB, 3 views)
Old September 15, 2001, 13:45   #14
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Unfortunately, it looks like what we have here, is a combination NCC (no-crawlers challenge) and an almost OCC (one city challenge) game! I did not intend for that to happen. OCC is fun but it usually requires a carpet of crawlers scattered about the countryside.

Let me propose that we go ahead with this game just for fun. And if everyone is willing, I will fire up another succession game with a much better starting position than what we had in this game.
Old September 15, 2001, 14:38   #15
Avenoct
Prince

We're going to win this game

Indeed it is a *CC game of some kind, but I think we are pulling into a slow curve up over the AI already. Could be the best succession game yet!

-Smack
Old September 15, 2001, 16:54   #16
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Report to the Board of Regents, MY 2200-2214
--------------------------------------------------------------

2200 - We 'secure' Morgan Transport and position a probe team for some action at one of Morgan's bases. Morgan does not counterattack immediately. I will leave Morgan Transport on infinite scout production for the time being. If Morgan counterattacks I want him to take out his own base on the way in.

2201 - Landed a probe team on the landmass NE of our own landmass. Encountered Colonel Santiago (monolith/former/base production zone visible) immediately. She is in a belligerent mood and sports a formidable army). She demands our files on Polymorphic Software. To avoid a state of war with a second faction, I give the files to her. She declines to accept my polite offer of a Treaty of Friendship, stating that her friendship cannot be bought, it must be earned - I swear I did not offer her a bribe. We slide out of there with a truce. Probe team reboards transport foil and heads east looking for virgin soil.

Hate to spend the ECs, but I switch us back to Green. Morgan already hates us and we could use the efficiency right now. Also might help out if we stumble across Dierdre.

Lost a probe team trying to filch some data files from Morgan. Dag Nab It! I wanted to subvert his base but it was too expensive (290 EC)

Gradually shifting bases over to rover production as they finish up current projects.

2202 - Ooops! Morgan uses a probe to mind control Morgan Transport away from us. Should have left that probe team home. Morgan demands Industrial Automation for an end to vendetta. I refuse. Morgan uses our own scout defensive to blow away one of our probe teams and then gets creamed by one of our rovers.

Colonel Santiago sends an impact foil heading in our general direction.

Yang begins work on the Empath Guild.

2203 - We steal Ethical Calculus from Morgan Transport. Would have cost 160 EC to subvert the base. I switch us to Democratic/Green.

600 EC required to subvert Morgan Metallurgy. We filch Gene Splicing instead. Dad Gum It! Probe team lost!?

Switching our research efforts to Ecological Engineering to lift mineral restrictions. Time to break out those borehole drill bits. Synth Foss Fuels was not offered or I would have had to go for that. Morgan is just 7 years away from missiles.

2204 - We lose a scout and a probe for one of Morgan's impact rovers. Morgan is too well defended to try to take out unit by unit. I will pull back and try to build up a force of impact rovers for my successor.

New Arzamas founded on the SW peninsula of our landmass.

2205 - Probe team lands on landmass to the east of us. Encounters Brother Lal's empire immediately. His mood is ambivalent and best of all - his forces are feeble! Better yet... he gives us Dierdre's commlink for 30 EC. YEAH! We trade Centauri Empathy for Doctrine Loyalty. [We need to make sure we get the Empath Guild built quickly now. We need the infiltration worse than Lal needs the governorship.] Lal wanted Gene Splicing in exchange for his maps. I offered the downgrade tech instead and he took it. Can't remember what the downgrade tech was though. [We need maps so we don't waste time exploring in useless spots. To tell the truth, though, if Miriam and Yang are the only two factions left to contact - it wouldn't bother me if we couldn't find them for awhile! ] We trade Gene Splicing to Lal for 75 EC. The University of Planet and The Peacekeeping Forces sign a formal Treaty of Friendship! Lal complements us on our wisdom for maintaining a free society in these difficult times (the Fool!) I decide not to try to infiltrate as we have already started the Empath Guild and I see no reason to risk our good relations with our immediate neighbor to the east. Probe reboards transport and sets sail.

I contact Dierdre. Her mood is noncommital and her forces are potent. She offers us 50 EC for Santiago's commlink. I don't really want to, but we need the cash... Dierdre offers us Superconductor (C4) in exchange for Secrets of the Human Brain (C2). I refuse the trade... Just kidding! Unbelievable! We trade Gene Splicing for Optical Computers. We trade Industrial Automation for her maps. [A Believer base is revealed in the northern hemisphere] Dierdre tries to coerce Centauri Empathy out of us, but I hold out for 25 ECs. The University of Planet and Gaia's Stepdaughters sign a formal Treaty of Friendship. Lady Dierdre complements us on our concern for Planet's fragile ecosystems. [MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Sharpen those borehole drill bits boys!]

Now if we can just avoid being overrun by Morgan...

2207 - Ouch! Just noticed that Morgan is 1 year from learning Doctrine: Air Power. He must have traded for or stolen SFF in the last couple of years. My guess would be Yang, based on the power graph.

2208 - The tranport foil with the probe team popped an IoD from a seapod. The burial will be at sea...

2211 - Morgan is build a missile needlejet at Morgan Industries. He still has not counterattacked though.

2212 - The Hive is about to build the Empath Guild (at two bases!). Don't think we can beat 'em, even with the AA. Morgan just used a NJ to wipe out our tranport foil.

2213 - The Hive builds the Empath Guild. We weren't even close. The 'other' Hive SP will be the Planetary Transport System. Yang has also convened the Planetary Council to vote for Planetary Governor. We vote for Lal, but it's not enough. Yang it is. I'll let someone else call Yang and Miriam. Yang is probably our best chance to stave off Morgan, but our society is running Democracy which Yang hates.

2214 - Sister Miriam gives us a call (seething/sufficient). The good sister informs me that Lady Dierdre now spends her time dancing naked through the trees. I inquire if she knows exactly which trees those would be. I decline to join her in her war with the Gaians. We give her Industrial Automation for 50 EC. Our offer of a Treaty is refused.

2215 - Morgan and Yang have signed a Treaty. Morgan has just landed an impact artillery unit between UV Base and Antarctic Sabbatical. Morgan is massing heavy infantry along our border. A ton of formers are in position to start raising land on our Island with Corsica on it. We have some rovers but w/o air cover they're useless. Yang is in command.

- Scipio Centaurus, Chancellor pro tem
Attached Files:
File Type: zip acs03-2215.zip (79.9 KB, 2 views)
Old September 16, 2001, 08:19   #17
Arima
Chieftain

Commisoner Arima's Report: MY 2215-2230

Abstract: Morgan could destroy us, but he isn't now. Miracles can happen.

As I did my preliminary inspection, I noticed a disturbing trend of 4 artillery stacked, and seiging our prized Observatory. I started production of Plasma Garrison. However, it was to no avail, and the Observatory was eliminated by 2226.

Eco engineering was researched 2220, and I started Fossil Fuels, do to

In MY 2228, out of a hunch, I contaced my dear friend Chairman Yang (Seething, Formidable+). He offered a map of Morgan territory, which I accepted for 50 credits. In MY 2228, he sent 2 troops next to our vastly defended University Base. I hope our Alien Artifact can hold them off.

So, at the end of my reign, Morgan is seiging the other western base, but it not advancing. I thank my luck stars for that.

Our Observatory noticed massive sunspot activity occuring during 2228. We predict that we will not be able to communicate with other fractions with that time. I personally don't care, since everyone hates us. I think that we should make ourselves more likable. (Buy their hearts.)

In 2228, a daring plan was set into motion. In 2230, it was resolved.

Air Power is the pincle of military victory, since it combines Initative, Mobility, and Flexability. -Sparta Battle Manual

We give our thanks, and a moment of slience, to that brave Probe team.

Good luck to my fellow commisoners, since we now have hope.
-Commisoner Arima
Attached Files:
File Type: zip acs03-2230.zip (85.5 KB, 7 views)
Old September 16, 2001, 22:08   #18
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Local Time: 05:16
Hello, I'm new here, and have enjoyed reading your accounts of the game very much. I was wondering if there were any other of these types of games (where one person plays 10-20 years and then passes it on) about to be started - I would love to join one! I win (most of the time) on Transcend with most of the factions (haven't tried Santiago or Lal yet), so I don't think I would be too much of a liability. I would be able to play 20 years in one day most of the time, however homework and school are the restricting factors here.

Anyway, my favorite faction (as you can probably tell) is the University, though I like the Morganites a lot too. I did manage a conquest victory as Miriam, so I think I can handle almost any style of play.

I would love to get to see the style of play other people use, and to try to build on them. If no one minds, I think I will download the latest save for this game just to see if I'm on the right track .

Anyway, good luck with Morgan!!

Z
Old September 16, 2001, 22:19   #19
johndmuller
King

Zak VII: Hello; stick around and there'll be another starting soon.

All: Provost JohnDMuller is only haf way through his turn, hoping to finish midday Monday plus or minus, but just to keep you all updated, here is an exerpt from the report.

Provost's Report (Partial, Preliminary) to the Board of Regents MY 2230-37 - Charges of the Light Brigades

Some of our bravest forces (utilizing the Power of the Pen, they now dub themselves "The Light Brigade") in the foothills of the Little Alps have withstood several rounds of insidious artillery fire from the NE and have so far routed some Morganic goons in the NW and reduced the number and effectiveness of the artillery in the NE; our troops pledge to fight to "Victory or 'til Death". Battle statistics for the Light Brigade: 2230 - killed one infantry and one probe; 2231 killed one artillery and wounded 4 others; 2232 killed 2 artillery and wounded 2 others with a single reinforcement appearing on the horizon; 2233 the last ones disappeared, either retreating out of range or destroying themselves while attacking the Light Brigade leaving just the horizon one. In 2236, Light brigade kills one rover and another probe in the NE zone; first victory also for the Air Force, which kills one of the pride of Morgan, his 6-3-1 Missile Inf. 2137, a black day, 6 more of the pride of Morgan appear and Light Brigade just one last time into the breach.
Old September 17, 2001, 13:32   #20
johndmuller
King

Well, we didn't lose any territory on my watch, which I think was an accomplishment, given our situation. We did, however, lose some of our personal liberties and a few heads rolled in the University bureaucracy. We are leaner, meaner and much dumber than one would expect of us, but we are still alive and kicking and holding off Morgan to boot.

Provost's Report to the University Board of Regents MY 2230-2245
Executive Summary
What a travesty greets my eyes - the sacred ivy wilts before our eyes - Yang's rowdy bully-boys prowl the corridors of "learning". Sadly, we have had to militarize; moreover, we are open to allying ourselves with Yang, who has so far been reasonably mild (although we did switch to an SE favorite of his). It appears that our military footing is Strong, but we have at least one dedicated enemy; massive invasions continue to arrive from MorganLand, but so far have been repulsed, albeit with the need for constant vigilance both for both direct and 5th column attacks over the crater wall. Our Air power has come in handy, although it is becomming difficult to keep up the repair rotation and also mount sufficient attacks; we must build more planes. We should, IMhO, be able to hold onto Little Italy, depending upon the next Provosts priorities, as I think that we are on the upswing there, but at the same time we are building a possible escape hatch on Corsica and nearby. Our research rate is baaaaaaaaaaaad, but the next Provost will get Synth Fossil Fuels shortly, although that will be the last for a while; perhaps we will be able to study other than war sometime again in the future.

Body of Report
Military
Our brave forces under a General Doktor Kipling (utilizing the Power of the Pen, they now dub themselves "The Light Brigade") in the foothills of the Little Alps have withstood several rounds of insidious artillery fire from the NE and eliminated some Morganic goons in the NW then routed the artillery in the NE; and so, in the early '30s, this brave unit vows to fight to "Victory or 'til Death" in its valiant quest to attempt to rid Planet of this cowardly Yellow Scourge. They fight on til that black day in 2237 when their blood is finally spilled by 6 of the pride of Morgan (6-3-1 Missile Infantry) appearing over the crater ridge and the Light Brigade one last time into the breach, blunting however slightly the Yellow Scourge and buying a little time for fresh reinforcements to arrive. Our Rovers have been renamed the (Gat) Light Brigade in their honor.

In 2238 the 5 undamaged Prides of Morgan advance in a two pronged attack on newly fortified and reinforced Otkrietia Discovery; while at the same time 4 Morganic Arties appear on the CraterCrest - causing our own green Artillery unit, which has been totally ineffective to date, to retreat to the Monolith Training center for some remedial training. Meanwhile, 2 Light Brigades spring out from Otkrietia Discovery and kill 4 of Morgan's Pride and a just constructed Tactical Fighter wing risk their lives flying an inappropriate ground attack mission to at least temporarily quell the vicious Morganic advance. We have held the day, but alas, our fighters are all seriously wounded with the enemy on the way. 2139 - What immoral fiends; Monster Morgan is shelling our Hospitals in Otkrietia Discovery! Finally, in 2240, several wings of the UAF roar into the foothills and kill several of the cowardly snipers and put the rest to flight, allowing our injured Light Brigade to recover enough to meet and destroy a Morganic rover sneaking over the crater the next year. 2242 - Probe and lone Pride of M; 2243 Aircraft deleted 1 Artie of 2 in NE combat zone and a road @ 49,103. 2243 - Many units heinous Morgan units (4 Arties, 4 Prides and a commando 4-3-1 unit) emerge from Morgan Transport to Cratertop 49,101 and a single Rover to Cratertop 48,104. The rover dispatched easily by sortie from Otkrietia Discovery (to be shelled by the Artie henceforth) and Aircraft took out a Pride and the commando. In 2244, two more Prides with a/c; in 2245, just one Pride, to avoid risking the tactical against a Pride. (The rotation calls for wounded units to sit out an extra turn at the AC at University Base (and soon also Antarctic Sabbatical) to get fixed up so that we keep losses to a minimum).

(So Called) Research
The Head of the Applied Research Department at University Base has been given an indefinite leave of absence; more than150 tonnes of minerals were declared misappropriated and written off; a new Aerospace Complex was built with the remainder of our resources by the new Head of the Applied Research Department at University Base. University policy now includes the inprecation "No more Special Projects at University Base". The new research head decided to trade in the AA for a new tech as the old Head apparently had been selling off the lab equipment, leading to rediculous research lead times and the AA was as much a liability to protect as anything else. Hoping to acquire AAA, we thus discovered Advanced Subatomic Theory (Comm Jammer). Otherwise, no breakthroughs with our disgraceful research rate of 33 years.

Foreign Relations
When communicatoins were restored (2233), Yang successfully shook us down for a couple of techs, but stayed peaceful; we saw the wisdom in Yang's way and now pursue a policy of strict societal management, both for foreign relations and to afford to support a large air force. Strange that the comm blackout expired so soon after it started (said to be 2228) we might have switched to Police State sooner had we known Yang would be on the air so quickly, but no harm done; in the future, it would be helpful to record the duration of the sunspots insofar as it is known - I guess that rogue research director must have stolen those files also. Morgan changed tactics and tried to shake us down again in 2234, but we told him to "Do your (pitiful) worst!", then zapped his missle speeder with Light Brigade #2, fresh from training at the Monolith. A break in the action might be nice, but we know that it wouldn't last.

Domestic
2235: We are now a Police State; everyone will line the parade route and cheer - RahRah Provost!!!! (or else!) Command Centers, Perimeter Defenses and other military facilities have a high priority, although some Recreation Commons will be built for our troops to relax. We were so desperate for money to finance this rebuilding, we sold Doktor: Air Power to the Spartans and UN for 75EC each, may god forgive us, and having once gone down that road, we also sold the Colonel Advanced Subatomic Theory and Brother Lal Non-Linear Math (I confess, we would have sold them more, but neither of them had all day). Everyone works hard for the good of the University.

What's This?
In another interesting Political development, in 2242, Lady Deirdre proposes and Brother Lal and Herr Monster Morgan all support - the Repeal of the UN Charter; Pacifist Yang, Colonel Santi and Peaceful Sister Miriam all decline. (Did someone randomize our personalities ????????)

Notes to the next Operations Director:
--I believe that all the mainland combat units have been Monolith-upgraded.
--Note: one of our NJs is a fighter (@Mendelev College.), the rest attackers.
--Morgan is still parked at 59,111, but not troubling us particularly
--Antarctic Sabbatical requires 2 police units to pacify drones at full production.
--Where possible, scan cratertop with arriving/departing a/c to get early view of each wave of Morganic attackers.
--Probe team on tap at Morgan Transport
--Transport with 2 probes heading for Morgan Pharm to probe the CEO and/or pop pods
--Mendelev College has a SAM rover, the rest are regular "Light Brigades" (except SAM building at Adademgorodok).
--Next base planned for 72,14; Condensor @ 74,116, pop

This document prepared by ROTC students working under the supervision of:
Provost/Sergeant-at-Arms HerrDoktorProfessor JohnDMuller
Old September 17, 2001, 13:35   #21
johndmuller
King

Here's the File!

(also and emailed to Qantaga)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip acs003-zak-smac-2245.zip (94.5 KB, 2 views)
Old September 17, 2001, 14:08   #22
Avenoct
Prince

An intercept of a letter From the Desk of Provost Smack

Comrade Muller, word of your intoxicating elocutions awakened me from cryosleep for perusal, and I must say the rumors are true! Your executions of the letter are matched only by the happy reports from the battlefield. Quite a pleasant escape from the dreamless sleep. I must return to the cryobay at once before the drugs are completely worn away by such news of our continuing fortitude. Long live the University,

Fellow Oligarch and Compatriate,
Smack
Old September 17, 2001, 14:13   #23
Qantaga
King

I have received the turn. The hovercraft should arrive to escort me to the Provost's seat later this evening. Turn will be posted by Tuesday am.
Old September 17, 2001, 17:41   #24
Qantaga
King

Report to the Administration - University of Planet - 2245 to 2260

Excerpts from the log of Acting Provost Qantaga:

I am very distressed and saddened to find that this is not the University I know and love. Our former friend and compatriot Morgan has lost his senses and forced us to invest our time and resources into making machines of war instead of pursuing knowledge to benefit all people of Planet. Alas, the measures required of us to provide safety for our people...

2246 - Morgan is sending probe teams our way. We destroyed two of them before they could approach our border towns. Morgan also has a stack of 7 units perched at the top of the Crater wall looking over our territory.

2247 - Morgan sent a Missile Needlejet after one of our probe teams. One of our Gatling NJs scrambled to meet the attack, but unfortunately was lost in the battle. Our probe team was also lost in the carnage. Our SAM Gatling Rover then dropped the offending Missile NJ from the sky.

We probed Synth Fossil Fuels from Morgan Pharmaceuticals. The valiant probe team transmitted the data, but then was captured trying to escape the city. This allowed us to switch our research goals to Env.Economics, which we will discover in the next 2 turns.

We also probed the Morganic world map from the same base. This probe team escaped successfully and was given a field promotion to Commando status.

2248 - We are losing 1 credit per year, so I moved some workers around and started production of a few Energy Banks. We took out 3 of Morgan's units in his current stack of 8 on the edge of the Crater. Units were promoted for their noble work.

The Gaians announce the capture of Morgan Metagenics.

2249 - We discovered Env.Economics. We are now working towards Neural Grafting, but our tech rates are atrocious due to the need to draft so many of our top researchers to man the defenses of the nation.

We take out two more Morganic units at the edge of the crater.

We steal 14 credits from Morgan Transport. In the process, our probe team earns a much deserved promotion. We shift workers around a little and are now earning +4 credits per year.

2250 - In the face of our valiant warriors, Morgan pulled all field units back into Morgan Transport.

We probed Morgan Mines to incite Drone Riots. We framed Yang for the deed. Morgan pronounced Vendetta against Yang. Our probe team was promoted to Elite status.

We probed Morgan Mines again, this time extracting 30 credits and placing the blame on Miriam. Again, we received a promotion and Morgan called Vendetta on Miriam.

Finally, we probed 14 credits from Morgan Pharmaceuticals and framed Santiago for the deed. Morgan declared Vendetta against Santiago and we received yet another Elite promotion.

Hopefully, this will keep our friend Morgan busy with concerns other than just sending troops at us.

Morgan then called and demanded 50 credits and an apology to forget "our past transgressions". I told him that we would not be apologizing, but we would offer 20 credits to end the vendetta. He accepted and we signed a Blood Truce.

I am now switching to a mini-Builder stance to try to build a small warchest for our noble General Smack when he ascends the Provost's seat in the near future.

2251 - I was very tempted to switch our empire over to a Wealth setting to improve our income and our research, but I decided against it, since it would cost more to switch over and then switch back if Provost Smack does need to engage in a war. I will leave the SE settings to his best judgement.

2252 - Deirdre and Yang both called on the commlink. Both of them offered a Pact to declare a Vendetta against Lal. I was reluctant to declare Vendetta on Lal, so I did some fast talking and kept the Treaty with Deirdre and the Truce with Yang intact for the time being.

2253 - In this rare period of peace where we have Treaties and Truces in place with all factions, I am trying to build Energy Banks, Children's Creches and the like to try to build the infrastructure for the next period of war.

2254 - More general upkeep and terraforming in a rare lull in hostilities.

2255 - We are doing air sweeps, but no nations are moving troops towards us. Morgan has not moved any units in the Crater in the past few years. The Hive still has a Laser Infantry in our territory, but it poses no threat.

2256 - Miriam called. She is far enough away that I did not take any of her demands seriously. She offered a Pact to go into Vendetta with Morgan. I politely declined.

I took a big chance on one more probe action. We drained 31 credits from Morgan Mines. This time we framed Lal. It worked, so Morgan has now called Vendetta on Lal. He has no friends left.

2257 - Missile Penetrators have been designed and prototypes have begun in anticipation of the inevitable Morgan Wars ahead.

2258 - Morgan units are burrowing out of their holes and beginning to make appearances at the top of the Crater.

Deirdre announces the capture of a UN base.

2259 - I made a hard decision. Lal called on the commlink. He offered 50 credits and Cyberethics if I would join him in a Vendetta against Morgan. I decided to accept since Morgan was already moving troops in our direction. We were also able to trade HE Chemistry to Lal and receive Intellectual Integrity in return.

We took out all three Morgan units on the face of the Crater.

2260 - Our units have eliminated Morgan Transport base from its former location in the Crater. We disabled the Aerospace Complex in Morgan Mines and drained 37 credits from Morgan's Energy Banks.

Some notes:

A Colony Pod will be ready to move out of Corsica in 2162. Square (72,114), as suggested by Provost johndmuller, is prepped and ready for base placement.

I have placed several Missile Penetrators in production. The first prototype will be ready in 3 turns. However, Provost Smack, feel free to switch those queues around to help in your war effort.

We now have a warchest of 575 credits at Provost Smack's disposal and we are up to 12 credits/turn. Our lab rates are still very poor, but we will need to add more bases and make some SE changes to improve that significantly.

We now leave the control of our noble University in the skilled hands of Provost (and Master General) Smack.

Cheers and Good luck!

Turn is posted and has been e-mailed to Smack.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip acs003-zak-smac-2260.zip (96.5 KB, 2 views)
Old September 17, 2001, 19:19   #25
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zakharov VII
Hello, I'm new here, and have enjoyed reading your accounts of the game very much. I was wondering if there were any other of these types of games (where one person plays 10-20 years and then passes it on) about to be started - I would love to join one!
I'm planning to start another SMAC NCC (no-crawler challenge) Succession game featuring the University of Planet, since this particular version had a very difficult start and though extremely challenging, has not, IMHO, allowed us to play to the University's fullest potential. You are welcome to play in the new game. I want to start it this weekend.

You have correctly deduced the general concept of the SMAC succession game, so I won't restate them. See the first message in this thread for some of the special conditions that were set for this particular game. [Yes HerDoktorProvost, the AI faction leaders' personalities were randomized (but not their agendas - i.e Dierdre still likes Green, Lal likes Democracy, etc). I didn't expect them to all have exact polar opposite personalities!]

Some unwritten rules of the succession game paradigm:

Each player gives a 'State Of The University' address after they complete their turns each round - just so the next player(s) aren't completely in the dark when they take the reins of power. The report doesn't really have to be as detailed as some of those that our players have provided, but it certainly does make for fun reading as you have noticed. I have especially enjoyed the reports from the good HerDoktorProvost johndmuller in this game.

Although the first round of ACS03 called for 20 turns per player, I dropped that number in later rounds for this game. I also gave players an option to play an extra 5 years in any of their turns in the later rounds if they became caught up in some critical mission that needed their personal attention.

If you don't want a challenge variant or you prefer even more exotic challenges - Smack or Arima have mentionjed starting a more conventional (non-challenge) game in the recent past and johndmuller has promised a POC (probes only challenge) variant.

Quote:
I would love to get to see the style of play other people use, and to try to build on them. If no one minds, I think I will download the latest save for this game just to see if I'm on the right track .
Feel free to download any of the previous players turns. You might find it helpful to download them all and then cycle through them all in SMAC just to see how the realm has evolved from player to player.

- Scipio
Old September 17, 2001, 20:31   #26
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Local Time: 05:16
Thanks for the warm welcomes

The "state of the university" address seems to be one of the most enjoyable parts - one of the main differences between these games and normal single player games. I've always wanted to tell stories of some of my better (or worse) moments.

Also, sometimes later turns (I once timed one turn around the 2300s - going as fast as I could with all the hotkeys, one turn took me 15 minutes!) can get kind of dull - playing only 5-10 turns then getting something even more developed back sounds really cool. Once, in the same game that I timed, I was about to be elected supreme ruler. But, sunspot activity began! Those 20 years felt like a lifetime...when I came out of them I had 5000 votes .

NCC will be perfect for me, I think, as I haven't figured out the best time to integrate crawlers on high difficulty levels (on low levels, I could skip most military units in favor of crawlers, but I haven't figured out the right moments on Transcend). POC sounds interesting, but I'm very worried about Sister Miriam - I guess we frame all our probe team actions on her and let everyone else kill her ? Or maybe we ARE Miriam? I'll save my questions for this POC's thread, though.

I downloaded one of the more recent ones - the starting position does look pretty pathetic. I would love it if you decided to do another University game!

About the names of the games (like this one is ACS03), I assume AC = Alpha Centauri, S = Succession, 03 = 3rd AC Succession game?

Sorry for the length - I ramble on quite a bit about this game, I hope my "summaries" aren't too dull!

Z
Old September 18, 2001, 05:53   #27
Avenoct
Prince

Comrades, the Doctors have reawakened me from the Cryosleep and I am ready to yet again take up the reigns of research. Expect a full report at the end of this galactic day.

Address to the Council MY 2260 onward

As a preliminary report I am happy to announce that we are making headway toward establishing a contented research continent. However, this headway is fully marked in blood. Expect the full report later this evening.

Last edited by Avenoct; September 18, 2001 at 18:44.
Old September 18, 2001, 18:43   #28
Avenoct
Prince

2260- It would seem little has changed in our strategic and tactical frontiers over the last 60 years, while certainly our former comrades Yang and Morgan and Deirdre have gained ground ahead of us. I'm sorry to say that maintaining ourselves at our current strength is not an option, for surely one of our supposed friends even now plans our destruction. Instead WE must be the destroyers, WE must lead the great nations of humanity toward certain enlightenment. It is our duty, and though it may seem improbable, it is still possible, so try we must.

2261 - Forget research, forget economics. We have no economy until we secure a tax base. I've decided on a 'sur le coule' strategy to hit Morgan 'on the ass' where he is weakest. I shall continue to distract him centrally and make sweeping moves to the east and west with fast-attack units including our properly celebrated 5-1-2 light brigades. Air support will initially consist of rotating cover and then progress into bombing raids to soften up the Morganic garrisons preceding our assaults.

2262 - Morgan Metalurgy is ours, which isolates Morgan Biochemical, soon to fall on our east flank offensive. Lost a probe team and a former to Morgans Airforce circling vulture-like around the crater.

2263 - Our foil has successfully landed our left, West Flank forward offensive. Morgan Biochemical has fallen. Curiously there is a Believing unit next to the base. Holding our right flank as a distraction, I have hope for our left flank. Morgan Pharmaceuticals Destroyed. It would have made a decent forward airbase, yet I think its destruction (size 1->0) will really have Morgan in a bind. Probe team action on Morgan Mines upsets their artillery production...excellent work! Bombing runs reduce the 2 sensors to rubble near Morgan Interstellar. We are primed for a major offensive when our next batch of units makes its way to the front.

2264 - Lal gives us a call asking us to attack the Hive. "I don't think that's in our contract Lal, bugger off!" Morgan, blast him, sends a brigade to eliminate our forward brigade holding Morgan Metallurgy, but we still hold the colony. Zvedney Gordok founded near Corsica. Working with the Former crews to continue expanding that peaceful continent.

2265 - Intelligence reports that Lal is being overrun by Deirdre. Morgan is baffled by our CAP air patrols, his roadways blocked, I have called for reinforcements. Our Western Flank is slow to develop as it is quite a distance for reinforcements to move. However, the Eastern Flank, the 4th Light Army, has secured the area and is proceeding to whittle away at the substantial Morganic defenses. Probed away Yangs pesky 2-2-1 in Little Italy as it kept bathing in the vapors around our borehole.

2266 - A lone unit commences the Western Thrust against Morgans lightly defended fungus country. Our needlejet airforce is gathering like a cloud over the crater, wearing down the heavy forces once stationed there. Corsica and neighboring burroughs are looking more and more like the University I know we all once desired, but truth is found in the lake of bloodshed, downed noodles, and infantry carcasses filling the crater. Morgan Interstellar is ours.

2267 - Morgan Mines nearly reduced to rubble. Morgan's pathetique airforce is now coming into contact with our CAP forces. Still, they have managed to rid us of advance brigades, and perhaps disabuse us of any notion of a 'quick' war.

2268 - Morgan Mines is ours. Eastern Front Secure. Anti-radar bombing runs successful.

2269 - Morgan Bank Falls. Our advance ground force consists of (1) 6-1-2, (3) 1-1-2's, and scout patrols which are recruited and upgraded along the way. Our airforce consists of about 10 5or6-1-10 penetrators and 2 6-1-8 CAPs. Morgan is truly crumbling. Morgan Solarfex is ours.

2270 - Hive joins the Gaians in the rush to build the HSA. Lal loses another city to Deirdre. Yang drops off a 5-3-1 and 6-2-1 next to Univ Base. One of our Elite probe teams meets with Morgan himself at Morgan Industries and negotiates the total submission of Morgan!

2271 - Lal takes a Gaian city. Children in the sandbox. Yang asks for a tax and admits he's developed 'Empath Chaos Shock Troops'. Hrm. Good thing I'm developing a nautical probe force. What we really need is a carrier battle group. It's nice that Yang is so far away, but it does make our technological development that much more difficult. Convince Morgan to give us Neural Grafting. Morgan gives us two 6-1-2's to fight our mutual enemy, The Human Hive.

2273 - Hive builds the XE dome, Lal builds the Datalinks. Yang takes over Morgan Industries! Yang is off the powercharts and needs a spanking. However, we're in no position to do that just yet. I would think it's time to go SP shopping in neighboring lands but our world is so vast that such a mission is prohibitive. Steal Pre-Sentient from Yang at Morgan Industries. How convenient. Choose tech- Centauri Meditation (might need those IoD's), choose tech- Bio-Engineering (16 turns).

2274 - Hive is about to build the HSA! How terrible. Steal Applied Relativity from Yang..that'll be the last probe action on Yang unless we can somehow get the cash to buy the HSA this turn. Calculate that we could buy the HSA if we cashed the 6 Noodles nearby, and just about all of our saleable facilities. It's not worth that. Tsilkovsky Institute founded on Corsica.

2275 - Lal offers us Superstring Theory and 50 credits to join him in fighting off the Tree Huggers. Well, it's an offer I can't refuse, seeing as how well Lal is situated if we desire to use him to go worm-shopping.

Summary and Forecast:

Fifteen years of murder and rapine. Such is the fate of a neighbor of that treacherous Morgan. But Morgan is in our pocketses. Theoretically we might now strive toward our goal of a free society and other such Utopian notions. I must caution my successors that we are both still under military threat, and that we will quickly fall behind the vast researches of such miserable excuses for humanity as the 'Human Hive'.

We remain in a Police State, which is surely antiquated now that we are approaching the invention of the clean reactor. Being that Morgan is aggressive we'll need to keep an eye on him and continue to use him to buffer our Western Frontier. Now that Yang is unprobeable we're going to really have to think through our plans for the future of the University.

Best Wishes Scipio and all Provosts,

General Smack
Attached Files:
File Type: zip acs003-zak-smac-227.zip (95.3 KB, 3 views)
Old September 18, 2001, 19:40   #29
Qantaga
King

Ah, General Smack, I knew our empire was in the hands of a master when war was on the horizon.

Nice job, sir!
Old September 18, 2001, 19:45   #30
Arima
Chieftain

Bravo! Very well done Smack! Now, time to get the Hive out of the way.