View Poll Results: If you have to pay separately for multiplayer, will you buy it??
No, irrespective of what else may be included! 31 37.80%
Only if siginificant upgrades are included with an expansion pack or gold edition 36 43.90%
Yes, even if it's another $30 15 18.29%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 10, 2001, 13:26   #31
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 07:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Finding an approriate thread to add my quick 2-cents (didn't want to respond in any thread started by Slowwhand or Rasputin, those two make me sick ).

Despite the emphasis of my posts last week, I have alot of respect for those that play Civ MP. I have spent most of my time in the Civ2-Strategy forums and I know the games that Ming, War, DaveV, Rex, et al have played. I just don't have the time to join in and that's the reason why I personally don't care about MP.

However, I know others do and more than anything else, I want the Civ3 SP version to be good and the Civ3 MP version to be good as well. It would not have mattered to me if the MP came out next month and then we would have to wait until May for the SP version. But as it has been rumoured, it's the other way around. To expect that both SP and MP versions to be released at the same time is not realistic, not because of poor planning, it just takes that long (2 yrs, which is not a long time actually) to get SP right and then using that as the platform to get MP right. Please be patient, a year from now you would say that it was worth the development and testing focus without compromising either version.

(BTW, I totally discount those that want it to be free. Why not make Civ3 SP free as well? Everything should be free, the internet, consumer products, etc., right? )
Old September 10, 2001, 14:11   #32
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 08:16
I'm a Civ "sucker" so I will buy the game the day it comes out.
I'm really disappointed that it won't be MP from the beginning.
It just means that I will continue to play civII mp and get the basics of Civ III down so I can play it in MP at "some point" in the future.
If MP is what is slowing down the release, I would much rather have them fix the problems before providing us with a game that doesn't work. So go ahead, release the SP version now. Give us time to work out the problems, and have them get fixed so when MP is available, it will work as promised
Old September 10, 2001, 16:54   #33
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Local Time: 07:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Earwicker
Firaxis would be foolish to ignore the fact that a significant portion of its customers gets the greatest thrill out of a game through MP.
I seriously doubt if this is true. I suspect that most people who bought Civ2 and SMAC never played multiplayer. Certainly, almost everyone I know who has the games played single player only. I'm a big fan of multiplayer, but I really think the majority of the market doesn't play MP.