Old September 10, 2001, 17:43   #1
Xian
Warlord

Local Time: 13:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Please excuse teh extreme newbieness, but how do i play by email
I apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times before, but the search engine isnt working

can someone give me instructions? I have AC version 4.0

oh and hello to this site, my names Xian and i usually play the hive
Old September 10, 2001, 17:55   #2
Xian
Warlord

Cmon, all of you were in my position at some time.. please?

If you cant give a rundown, could you point me to a place with specific instructions on how to set one up?
Old September 10, 2001, 19:35   #3
Fitz
King

Local Time: 05:17
Set up the game as multiplayer, hotseat/pbem. Save the game after you take your turn at the password box for the next player.

Email the saved game to the next player. They start a multiplayer game, hotseat/pbem, and load the game, take their turn, save the game at the password box, and email to the next human player.

The only major difference in setting up the game is that you choose your faction, then say YES to the question of adding another human player. Add the next players faction, and repeat until all HUMAN players have been added.

In SMAC 4.0, the turn order is predetermined by faction. Look at the order of the factions in the list of factions you can choose from. That is the order the players take their turns (determined by faction they choose).
Old September 10, 2001, 21:23   #4
Xian
Warlord

Thank you so much, this has to be one of the best messageboeards ever
Old September 10, 2001, 23:15   #5
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:17
Xian:

A good way to learn (especially the diplomatic protocols) is to set up a 2 player (or more) hotseat game with yourself.

It's exactly like play by e-mail.

At the end of your turn, you are given the password box for the next player and can save or enter the password. In PBEMs, you obvoiously save, zip and send to the next player. In hotseat, just enter the next password you've allocated yourself, and you're into the next faction's turn.

The diplomatic protocols are slightly more time consuming under PBEMs - can take several turns to complete from first offering a trade and finally accepting the returned tech, so it's worth experimenting on your own just to get comfortable. Most trades are negotiated by e-mail so that usually we offer the tech with "accept" already activated, and our trading partner returns his exchange tech with his 'accept' acxtivated - that way it takes just 2 turns instead of 3 or 4

But of course the best way is just to jump right in and join a game - or set one up.

Googlie
Old September 11, 2001, 08:24   #6
bobyk464
Chieftain

What's the proper etiquette for turn frequency? Once per day? Four per day? What if someone has to be away for several days?

And in the same vein, how much time does a game take? Weeks? Months?...
Old September 11, 2001, 09:09   #7
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 14:17
Hi Bobyk

Turn frequency is a matter of personal preference. I play email games on several boards and there's quite a range of playing styles there. As a general rule, people will get pretty restless if you regularly take 48 hours to take a turn for no good reason. There is one player on Apolyton (naming no names Yet ) who would not win a Mr Popularity contest right now because of this.

On all of the boards there are some players who will play several turns a day given half a chance, others who play at a more leisurely pace. As a general rule, if you play a turn a day when you can, post your turn sent messages to the thread and let people know in advance where possible if your turn will be delayed, most players will be very happy to play in a game with you.

In terms of the duration of a game, I played one on this board which went all the way to transcendence and was completed in something like 10 days But that is not typical As a rule of thumb, the fewer the players the faster the game. Most games take several months. Some take more than a year. If you want a game to move quickly, avoid 7-player games. Stick with 2-4 players.

Anyone interested in giving PBEM a whirl can sign up for the Apolyton tourny here. Just post your email addy, preferred factions, preference for SMAC/SMAX/either, maximum number of games and highest difficulty level. Tau Ceti is our excellent CMN and it's a great way of getting a well-organised game going, especially if you're new to multiplayer. There are lots of players involved of all abilities, from complete novice to expert. No-one takes the scoring seriously, there's no knock-out element, and there are plenty of people around to give advice so it's a pretty relaxed way to get a few games going
Old September 11, 2001, 09:52   #8
bobyk464
Chieftain

Thanks for the insights.

-bobyk
Old September 11, 2001, 23:01   #9
Xian
Warlord

Thanks people, i see this could take months, is there a faster way? Can i experiment with TCP/IP on my own? How about saving? i figure that would work better since id hate to be constantly starting and stopping.
Old September 21, 2001, 21:13   #10
CoffeeBreath
Chieftain

this sounds boring. u mail back and forth, waiting for your damn turn, i think only people with so much time on their hands can do this.
Old September 21, 2001, 22:38   #11
Avenoct
Prince

Local Time: 08:17
Well, I certainly hope people don't sit waiting for their turn. .it's not that kind of situation except in TCP/IP games or 1:1 games when both players are playing at the same time. I havn't played SMAC as TCP/IP, but 2 player PBEMs can be quite fast.

-Smack
Old September 22, 2001, 00:37   #12
spartak
King

ACOL is also good for PBEM - we have a number of games ongoing.

http://www.planetacol.com
Old September 22, 2001, 20:55   #13
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 23:17
I thought regular games of Multiplayer Smac took ages. Playing by E-mail would surely take a few centuries!

Bkeela.
Old September 22, 2001, 22:54   #14
Avenoct
Prince

Local Time: 08:17
Just to clarify, PBEM is regular Smac as far as these boards consider MP. You don't hear much about TCP/IP games or even Hotseat.

-S.
Old September 23, 2001, 16:58   #15
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 14:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Bkeela
I thought regular games of Multiplayer Smac took ages. Playing by E-mail would surely take a few centuries!

Bkeela.
Well, perhaps you should try it before commenting, Bkeela. I've seen your posts around here ...

I personally have completed many MP games. And I am rather less than a few centuries old

I suppose it depends what you look for in terms of personal satisfaction, really. If all you want is a constant adrenalin high, then look elsewhere. Formula 1 or bungee-jumping may be your thing If you'd like a bit of a challenge then PBEM has quieter, more subtle, delights to offer to the discerning participant.