Old September 12, 2001, 04:11   #1
Aco
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Will the duration of a turn be editable?
Hello,

After reading some posts regarding the movement cost on railroads and the inevitable conclusion of some that when you move a unit on normal roads (or wherever) it could take say a tank 20 years to go from city A to city B. This of course is caused by the timescale used in the game.

Everyone debates the 'realism' versus 'fun' on alot of topics, so why isn't this an issue (unless I've missed it)?

For mod ppl this would be very helpful.. the battle for X takes place in a week.. so each turn should be 1 day instead of the default (1year)... there are other uses i guess.. but i hope you get my meaning..

I won't say that its a problem for me, I'll buy the game with whatever timescale Firaxis will give us (20y/turn, 1y/turn), but I would like to know if someone has info about whether this can be changed?

Thanks for yer replies
Aco
Old September 12, 2001, 08:38   #2
paulmagusnet
Warlord

time scale
It would not only be very nice to have a reasonable time scale proprotional to movement and events (I assume when we do battles, it is not individual combat but more akin to many events involved in a migration).

Also, the centuries pass to fast. I am in no rush to get to the end of the game, I enjoy the process.

Along with the issue of time, unit vision is too wide and opens the map to early. Especially early units should be very limited in vision even to just the square they are in.
Old September 12, 2001, 13:27   #3
Leonidas
King

This is a good idea. You should be able to edit the turns. This would help the modders in their scenario creations.

I have found in Civ2 that the early centuries pass far too quickly as you try to grow your cities.
Old September 12, 2001, 13:40   #4
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 07:20
Changing the length of turns has always been there in Civ2. If you remember, all you have to do is to start a random game, edit one of the scenario parameters and then save that game as a scenario. I've done this quite often (and every scenario maker have done this as well). You guys make it sound like you have never heard of doing this?
Old September 12, 2001, 13:49   #5
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 05:20
I think that with the new 2 pop settlers and 1 pop worker, it will be a lot harder and slower to build your cities and infrastructure. I think that there has been some tweaking done to the time of the early game, so that by the times its 1 AD you can have say 5 or 6 medium size cities without having to use Advanced Tribes goody huts (which I hate)
Old September 12, 2001, 17:30   #6
Aco
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Changing the length of turns has always been there in Civ2. If you remember, all you have to do is to start a random game, edit one of the scenario parameters and then save that game as a scenario. I've done this quite often (and every scenario maker have done this as well). You guys make it sound like you have never heard of doing this?
Well, I must confess that I seldom tinker with a game.. I tend to play it casually.. just for my enjoyment and in 'stock' condition. And so I have never done scenario's or heard of the possibility to actually change the duration parameter(s).

Is it too much to ask in this forum (instead of asking the same q in the Civ2 forum(s)) which param one would have to change?

Thanks tho.
Aco
Old September 12, 2001, 17:59   #7
Steve Clark
King

I think asking this question in the Scenario League forum hosted here at Apolyton would be the best bet. I have forgotten exactly how to do it but I'm sure some of our scenario makers could help. Good luck and have fun.
Old September 12, 2001, 18:14   #8
Leonidas
King

I have never of this in Civ2 either; but I don't make scenarios, so I wouldn't know anyway
Old September 12, 2001, 22:53   #9
aebbeka
Civilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEM
King

Hehe. When i first read the subject of this thread, i thought it said edible.

Anyways, i always thought time in Civ2 went way too fast. But time in CTP2 went way too slow. You had jets in 1100 AD for cryin out loud!
Old September 13, 2001, 06:40   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by aebbeka
Hehe. When i first read the subject of this thread, i thought it said edible.
"Mmmmm, duration of turns" *munch, munch, munch* - Homer

It would be good to slow down the time (esp during ancient, middle ages) to a tenth or 20th, so that proper military campaigns can be carried out, and theres time to actually build buildings. Also, to prevent "jets in 1100 AD", make the research rate a tenth or 20th slower, so it would take approx 20 turns longer than normal to research a tech, seeing as how few techs there are. Benefits would include having time and there being a benefit to upgrading military units with more modern equivalent types.