Old September 14, 2001, 14:33   #1
Tventano
Warlord

Local Time: 14:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Resources on the map
Quote:
From Ask The Civ Team:
Q: Will you be able to place resources in maps when making them?

A: Yes. You can alter any terrain type to determine which resources can be found in that terrain type, and you can also manually place resources on your maps.
So this means that you could set that e.g. oil can only be found on desert and tundra and when let it randomly occur where it will be found. Or you could exclude it from all resource types and only place it on a few strategic locations.

Horses probably be found on plains, iron in hills, both these resources needed in the beginning can be found almost anywhere.
More advanced resources will be more difficult to find.

They do not answer how often a resource will be found, probably built in or flexible and in rules.txt? Also how much clustered would they be, or is this just random, and in that they scarceness and clustering will appear naturally, even when no spatial correlation is programmed in.

I presume you can set the name and icon of all resources, so special scenarios there special resources have to be found on very special places are possible, interesting.

This is really powerful.
Old September 14, 2001, 14:35   #2
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 13:26
I'll be looking forward to user made scenarios.
Old September 14, 2001, 14:44   #3
Ralf
King

I only wish one can pre-edit potential city-placements as well. Shut up! [whack!] Sorry...
Old September 14, 2001, 14:54   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
I only wish one can pre-edit potential city-placements as well. Shut up! [whack!] Sorry...
You never give up?
The title on your last thread about this was good. The idea is still inflexible, as not only te terrain tells if an area is good for a city, but also other cities, threats and so on.
Also all cities in the real world aren't located at the perfect spots.
No Sandtraps
Old September 14, 2001, 14:57   #5
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
You never give up?
No.

Quote:
No Sandtraps
OK, just dont play with this scenario-map feature enabled. Its a free choice.
Old September 15, 2001, 02:36   #6
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by From ask the Civ-team:
From Ask The Civ Team:

Q: Will you be able to place resources in maps when making them?

A: Yes. You can alter any terrain type to determine which resources can be found in that terrain type, and you can also manually place resources on your maps.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tventano
This is really powerful.
I agree - the more scenario-builders can control each and every aspect in a scenario-setups - the better it is. Not only in the initial phase, but also throughout the whole scenario. After all, the very word "scenario" means scripted; guided; edited; prepared setup & step-by-step example.
In random main games I want to play unrestricted, but in scenario-games I want to play by the rules & intentions of the human scenario-builder, as much as reasonably possible. If it helps the advanced script-programming scenario-builder to know all the possible locations of present & future recources and city-placements, in order for him to script effective enough AI-events and play-strategies, then God dammit, I want to give him that optional scenario-unfolding control.
Old September 15, 2001, 11:37   #7
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 08:26
Re: Resources on the map
Quote:
Originally posted by Tventano
So this means that you could set that e.g. oil can only be found on desert and tundra and when let it randomly occur where it will be found. Or you could exclude it from all resource types and only place it on a few strategic locations. ....
I am a little confused with this remark. Do you mean to say that you believe that the out-of-the-box game will not restrict resources to specific terrain (ie oil to desert, horses to plains, etc) as was done in Civ II?
Old September 15, 2001, 11:52   #8
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:26
Re: Re: Resources on the map
Quote:
Originally posted by Slax
I am a little confused with this remark. Do you mean to say that you believe that the out-of-the-box game will not restrict resources to specific terrain (ie oil to desert, horses to plains, etc) as was done in Civ II?
I think it will, but we will be able to modify where we can find it.
Old September 15, 2001, 13:34   #9
Tventano
Warlord

Slax,
Quote:
Ask the Civ Team:You can alter any terrain type to determine which resources can be found
What the default will be, what resources can be found where is not published yet. In the images we saw some examples, and I assume that more modern resources will only be found in less often occurring terrain types. I put in some speculation, this could be the rules, but if they are not like that you can change them to be like that.