Old September 15, 2001, 00:23   #1
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 07:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
is there a replay option?
I suggested it in the beginning. It would be a 100% cheating deturrent. did they include it?

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old September 15, 2001, 01:27   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:26
What do you mean by Option?
Replay is in. I don't know if you can turn it off.
Old September 15, 2001, 01:34   #3
saracen31
Warlord

Local Time: 13:26
How does replay deter cheating?
Old September 15, 2001, 01:35   #4
Kaak
King

i guess capability is more the word i was looking for. I just wanted to know if you could watch a replay of the entire game at the end.

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old September 15, 2001, 01:36   #5
Kaak
King

saracen: obviously, with a replay, people can't use programs like cheat-o-matic or whatever else to interject units or gold. I just hope it is detailed enough to show starting techs, advances, etc...

Old September 15, 2001, 01:40   #6
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

This has been answered in Ask The Civ Team.

Quote:
We will definitely have a replay function similar to the replay system in Alpha Centauri. We're also considering adding some new features to it, but at this point, nothing has been finalized.
Old September 15, 2001, 02:21   #7
Kaak
King

the problem with that statement is "....at this point..."

Where do we find problem in this? well, the game will be released in a month. the point, at which we find ourselves, is probably out of luck, just like with MP

Old September 15, 2001, 02:34   #8
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 22:56
Firaxis hasn't actually confirmed or denied that Multi-Player is in Civ3. Everyone has just assumed it is not in the release of the game.
Old September 15, 2001, 04:00   #9
Rhysie
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaak

Where do we find problem in this? well, the game will be released in a month. the point, at which we find ourselves, is probably out of luck, just like with MP
The statement was made in march, so 'at this point' was some seven months prior to release... So its not as bad as you make out. By now if they re-made the statement they would probably have more of an idea.
Old September 15, 2001, 04:27   #10
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 23:26
having not played AC , what is this replay function and how doeas it work ???
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old September 15, 2001, 05:20   #11
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:26
Replay r0x0rz
Old September 15, 2001, 06:32   #12
RedWhiteArcher
Chieftain

I still can't see what does replay function has ANYTHING to do with cheating. Its doesn't even have ANY effect on the game course and you can watch it only after the game is finnished so it wouldn't effect the hall of fame.
Old September 15, 2001, 07:08   #13
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by SoulAssassin
Replay r0x0rz
you mean it replays every turn , every move... !!! gee could get quite boring to watch a whole game over again !!!
Old September 15, 2001, 07:18   #14
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:

It [COLOR={qcolor}]will definitely have a replay function[/COLOR].
[COLOR={qcolor}]...at this point...[/COLOR] was regarding extra feature, that not existed in SMAC.
Old September 15, 2001, 07:40   #15
RedWhiteArcher
Chieftain

The replay function doesn't show you every single turn. It shows a big map, control areas and an event. It shows when a new city has being founded, captured, invetions or first unit of a type built. Well that how it was in Civ, I don't remember how was it in AC (but the control areas where there).
Old September 15, 2001, 08:37   #16
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
In SMAC and Civ2 you could cheat by editing the Rules.txt files, and that wouldn't show up on the replay feature. Shortening the time it takes to build a Wonder could be explained by you rush-building it.
Old September 15, 2001, 08:45   #17
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by RedWhiteArcher
The replay function doesn't show you every single turn. It shows a big map, control areas and an event. It shows when a new city has being founded, captured, invetions or first unit of a type built. Well that how it was in Civ, I don't remember how was it in AC (but the control areas where there).
ahh so not so much a replay but a sort of synopsis !
Old September 15, 2001, 08:54   #18
Kaak
King

Executor: if someone tried that, and the replay option showed the amount of gold they had, etc, you would be able to tell if they rush built the wonder. It would just be easier to pick aprt the cheaters from the non. But, for this to work, it would have to be a quite complete and interactive replay feature. I hope they did it...

Old September 15, 2001, 10:49   #19
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:26
I don't think the replay is going to be a deterent for cheating in any way. The replay will be mainly for people to bask in their glory after their victory or to cry hysterically, while watching the replay because that person knows they just lost to the AI!

Since I've only played Civ2 and SMAC I don't know what the replay wasl like in Civ. Is Civ's replay better than SMAC's or vice versa? One of the few things I liked about SMAC (I couldn't get passed the fact that the game was sci-fi) was the ending replay. It was much more rewarding than the ending of Civ2 but I still didn't think it was all that great. I'm hoping for a little more detailed replay than the SMAC replay.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 15, 2001, 10:59   #20
RedWhiteArcher
Chieftain

What do you care if someone cheated. If he cheated its his problem, he is a cheater.
Old September 15, 2001, 11:20   #21
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by RedWhiteArcher
What do you care if someone cheated. If he cheated its his problem, he is a cheater.
i beleive the whole issue of cheating and replaying to find the cheater is more to do with MP than SP ...
Old September 15, 2001, 12:28   #22
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Since I've only played Civ2 and SMAC I don't know what the replay wasl like in Civ. Is Civ's replay better than SMAC's or vice versa?
I liked Civ1's replay better because (and this is all off of childhood memory) it showed much more info, in a little header bar at the top declaring in what year the first airplane was built or the first phalanx or when wonders were built, also, unlike SMAC, you could control the pace of the replay, so it didn't whiz by like the SMAC one does. It meant you clicked a lot, but I like the control of seeing each conquest, slowly, and at my leisure.
Old September 15, 2001, 13:01   #23
RedWhiteArcher
Chieftain

I never played Civ2 on MP so I don't know how you can cheat, therefore I can't comment any further on this.
Old September 15, 2001, 15:09   #24
Oldenbarnevelt
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:26
A replay option would be an excellent instruction/tuition tool in Civ3 SP (especially for poor players like me ), provided the whole game can be saved to a file. Imagine, the wizards posting their most spectacular wins at Deity level to Apolyton. It would make the learning curve less steep, I'm sure.

Oldenbarnevelt
Old September 15, 2001, 18:41   #25
Kaak
King

*sigh* One more feature we will probably have to do without =(

Old September 15, 2001, 19:39   #26
SerapisIV
King

Why will we have to put up without it? The question of a replay has already been answered. It's in, and was confirmed by Firaxis in one of the first ask-the-civs games.
Old September 15, 2001, 19:41   #27
SerapisIV
King

Whoops, got the wrong idea of what kind of replay you're talking about. I think a replay file would be absolutely massive, while large hard-drives are standard things now-a-days, imagine how much a pain in the ass it would be debugging a file that actually takes into account all of your saved-and-reloaded games.
Old September 15, 2001, 23:50   #28
Kaak
King

It wouldn't be too big, and like you said, large hardrives are standard. Plus, it could name the file the same for every game played, so unless you resaved it as something else, it would just overwrite the previous...

Old September 18, 2001, 17:59   #29
Stromprophet
Warlord

Re: is there a replay option?
Quote:
I suggested it in the beginning. It would be a 100% cheating deturrent. did they include it?
Yeah. It is in. But deter, I think save games deter more. But you could also monitor growth with this, and you would see how qucikly they were getting huts.

Hehe, from an old friend kaak.