Old September 16, 2001, 12:10   #1
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is Firaxis working overtime to get the game ready in time?
How come that both Dan posted info at Apolyton a Sunday and Mike showed up as Active user?
Are they working overtime, or have they started to visit Apolyton in their Spare time?

Old September 16, 2001, 12:27   #2
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 08:28
*ALL OF US* are working as hard as we can with the time we have left to polish and refine the game as much as possible. It's not really a case of adding features or anything to that degree, just polishing, tweaking, refining, playbalancing, and so on.

I suspect you'll find most, if not all, game companies do this sort of thing when a project nears the finish line.

Speaking personally, I frequently check in here on weekends, especially after a Friday site update just to see what people are talking about, and to make sure I didn't, say, spell a prominent civilization's leader name incorrectly

Dan
Old September 16, 2001, 12:48   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
*ALL OF US* are working as hard as we can with the time we have left to polish and refine the game as much as possible. It's not really a case of adding features or anything to that degree, just polishing, tweaking, refining, playbalancing, and so on.
Not adding any features, that must mean that you know whenever MP is in the game or not, and not saying anything
Quote:
I suspect you'll find most, if not all, game companies do this sort of thing when a project nears the finish line.
Probably, but I doubt that they would be up Sundays reading and posting in forums on fansites.

Quote:
Speaking personally, I frequently check in here on weekends, especially after a Friday site update just to see what people are talking about, and to make sure I didn't, say, spell a prominent civilization's leader name incorrectly

Dan
So, what you are saying is that you update the site on Fridays to have an excuse to came here in weekends?
Old September 16, 2001, 16:46   #4
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 13:28
I'm a little confused.
So are you complaining about Firaxis working hard on the game??? Or about Dan coming here to the forum and communicating with us players???
These complaints are getting waaaay too stupid if you ask me.
Old September 16, 2001, 21:16   #5
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 06:28
Hey Gramphos. The staff at Firaxis can't work 24/7. They need a break just like everyone does. So if they want to come to the forums on their time off who cares!! It's none of our business what they do on or off work.

Geez. Everybody's getting just a little crazy here. It's just a friggin game.
Old September 16, 2001, 21:55   #6
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I'm not complaining, I was just trying to figure see how stuck they have got into visiting Apolyton when they aren't at work, if they aren't at work.
Old September 16, 2001, 22:47   #7
TechWins
King

Quote:
I'm not complaining, I was just trying to figure see how stuck they have got into visiting Apolyton when they aren't at work, if they aren't at work.
So are you saying you don't want Dan and others to post here?

Dan, I've said this before but your avatar is awesome.

Also Dan, since I gave you a compliment can you update the site with some new screenshots (preferrably modern or even industrial age) in the very near future? That's not too much to ask is it? I mean it's not like I'm asking if MP is in or not.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 16, 2001, 23:19   #8
saracen31
Warlord

Mike's on here at 1:00 am Monday morning, so I'd say that's some overtime, unless he's at home using his free time to browse.
Old September 17, 2001, 06:16   #9
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

Dan, I've said this before but your avatar is awesome.

Also Dan, since I gave you a compliment can you update the site with some new screenshots (preferrably modern or even industrial age) in the very near future? That's not too much to ask is it? I mean it's not like I'm asking if MP is in or not.
I'm afraid to say it, because Markos or DanQ might make it a news item, but yes, some new screens are coming....

Dan

Last edited by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS; September 17, 2001 at 06:26.
Old September 17, 2001, 06:40   #10
hetairoi22
Warlord

Local Time: 14:28
Wooohooo!

Keep the compliments comming, people!!!

Last edited by hetairoi22; September 17, 2001 at 06:46.
Old September 17, 2001, 06:48   #11
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
I'm afraid to say it, because Markos or DanQ might make it a news item
lol, why dont you want some extra hits on civ3.com from people reloading the site waiting for them?
Old September 17, 2001, 10:39   #12
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Did I say that?
I just was thinking if they would be relay mad if Apolyton went down, or they were banned for some reason (Never think that will happen (Unless they start a Firaxian only thread ). They do certainly not spam.)

Quote:
I'm afraid to say it, because Markos or DanQ might make it a news item, but yes, some new screens are coming....

Dan
Markos hasn't done it (yet), now it is only DanQ, Snapcase and Irman left.
You know, they make newsitems on everything right now. Do we have to many newseditors?

Dan, you can still attach some screens in your posts, and *ALL* apolytoners would be searching extra carefully for all your posts, also them in the OT
Old September 17, 2001, 14:39   #13
PGM
Prince

Quote:
Dan

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
Old September 17, 2001, 15:40   #14
TechWins
King

Quote:
Hey cool, thanks. I was being serious when I said your avatar is awesome, just to let you know.

Quote:
Did I say that?
Obviously you do not interpret a wink smilely like most people.
[Joking^]
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 17, 2001, 18:59   #15
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:28
Quote:

Dan
Don't be bought off so easily. We want MP! We want MP!
*Mob moves after Dan*
Old September 17, 2001, 19:18   #16
SerapisIV
King

No we don't...we just want the game released

GP suddenly realizes the Mob is only in his head
Old September 17, 2001, 19:29   #17
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Well, there are some crazy people here who think that Firaxis is simply a machine that churns out games. Like the guys who wanted a webcam at Firaxis so that they "could keep an eye" on progress....

On second thought, I stand by my statement that if the game is 1% improved everyday, I have no qualms with waiting for it for anothr year.
Old September 17, 2001, 20:05   #18
TechWins
King

Quote:
Don't be bought off so easily. We want MP! We want MP!
Yes, we do, but we are not going to get an answer as of yet, so don't even try to get one. I'm happy with what Dan has done around here...stated that he will put up some more screenshots soon and that he will try his best to have more "ask the civ team" questions answered. Thanks a lot Dan.

While, I may have been one of the people who said they may not buy the game if MP weren't included, I have completely changed my mind and returned to my original position: I will buy Civ3 on the day of release no matter what.
Old September 17, 2001, 21:43   #19
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Obviously you do not interpret a wink smilely like most people.
[Joking^]
Yes, I do, maybe should have added my own after that confused one
Old September 18, 2001, 05:45   #20
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I bet that Civ 3 has been done for like 2 months and they are just keeping it under wraps so they can play it. I bet that Infogames thinks they are still polishing it, but really, they're spending 10+ hours per day having massive LAN MP games.

That's what I'd do.
Old September 18, 2001, 16:42   #21
PGM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
No we don't...we just want the game released
Right on! The best way of waiting for MP is none other than playing SP. Single-player now. Multi-player whenever.
Old September 18, 2001, 19:02   #22
Stromprophet
Warlord

Local Time: 07:28
Quote:
Originally posted by SoulAssassin
I bet that Civ 3 has been done for like 2 months and they are just keeping it under wraps so they can play it. I bet that Infogames thinks they are still polishing it, but really, they're spending 10+ hours per day having massive LAN MP games.

That's what I'd do.
I was watching the making of Civ III video, and one of the Programmers was looking for memory leaks, or supposed to be. Next thing he knew it was 5 am. He said it was that addictive.

Yeah, they are having office wars. That would be funny. See, the fact that they say they are down with the major features makes me edgy. Fearful for my MP. But I have patience.
Old September 18, 2001, 19:43   #23
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
While, I may have been one of the people who said they may not buy the game if MP weren't included, I have completely changed my mind and returned to my original position: I will buy Civ3 on the day of release no matter what.
there you go, case in point, laid out for you in black and white: my case in the whole "Mike's a PR machine" war a few threads back. it's your $50, but I'd be extra aware of your decision, Techwins...

Last edited by Wiglaf; September 18, 2001 at 20:02.
Old September 18, 2001, 20:38   #24
TechWins
King

Quote:
there you go, case in point, laid out for you in black and white: my case in the whole "Mike's a PR machine" war a few threads back. it's your $50, but I'd be extra aware of your decision, Techwins...
In no way at all did Mike have any influence on my decision. In fact, I have always been planning to buy Civ3. When I heard that Civ3 may not include MP I was pissed off and kind of rebelled against Civ3 for a day or two. Then, I came to my senses and realized that nothing can stop from me buying Civ3. Tonight I bought my pre-order of Civ3 and a "making of the game" video came with it. The game looks phenomenal and I will be occupied enough with SP that I wouldn't be able to play MP even. Actually I won't play MP much until when my brother has his first semester of college end in December (he works full time and takes a full time college schedule, not much time to play MP as of late). Don't again say who judged my decision on buying Civ3?
Old September 18, 2001, 21:34   #25
Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by saracen31
Mike's on here at 1:00 am Monday morning, so I'd say that's some overtime, unless he's at home using his free time to browse.
1:00 am? The night's still young at 1:00 am. I'm here waaaay past 1:00 am. Beer tastes much better near sunrise....

Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton
The staff at Firaxis can't work 24/7.
Speak for yourself. Sleep is for the weak!

Incidentally, I'm currently without an internet connection at home and I'm at Firaxis too often to bother with getting a new connection, so if I'm online, I'm working (or playing Civ3 ).

And speaking from past experience, immense amounts of overtime near the end of the project are not at all uncommon at game companies.... especially when the game is fun...
Old September 18, 2001, 21:37   #26
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS

1:00 am? The night's still young at 1:00 am. I'm here waaaay past 1:00 am. Beer tastes much better near sunrise....

Incidentally, I'm currently without an internet connection at home and I'm at Firaxis too often to bother with getting a new connection, so if I'm online, I'm working (or playing Civ3 ).

And speaking from past experience, immense amounts of overtime near the end of the project are not at all uncommon at game companies.... especially when the game is fun...
Overtime=We're playing and loving the game while you all have to suffer.

Basically we're done and the publisher is making arrangements. Muahahahaha, we can have it now and you can't!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Why o Why!
Old September 18, 2001, 22:07   #27
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:

Oh by the way. Not to try to get any MP info out of you.

But what about Hotseat. I'm sure Firaxis could include this without extensive programming and it's not an online feature either, that gets rid of a lot of programming and the like that is required to set games up on the net.

The plus would be that we could have friends over to play and it's faster than the net, plus it will tide us over until we can get MP assuming again it is late. Pretty please......
Old September 18, 2001, 22:26   #28
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I knew it!
They are playing Civ3 all night! :envious:

Sidenote: Stefu, we need a envious smile
Old September 19, 2001, 00:20   #29
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Beer tastes much better near sunrise....
now that's a nice title for a news item...
Old September 19, 2001, 02:34   #30
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Mike, what if you prepare a Firaxis civ3 team with the best 4 players and we do the same at Apolyton for the ultimate battle.

(one month after release of course, otherwise you guys would have too much experience)

And than we say.......
If the Apolyton team wins they win a 'day at the Firaxis office' and if the Firaxis team wins..... we buy you a big load of beer to drink near sunrise while fixing the bugs in the patches

CyberShy

Ps. I hope everybody but Mike notices the two hidden questions