Old September 16, 2001, 15:27   #1
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 08:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Roads over Forests.....
After some more screenshot analysis, I have come to the conclusion that the roads over the forests look pretty bad..... its only a small graphics fix, but could we please have the roads go around or "through" the forest graphic to improve it visually?
Old September 16, 2001, 15:31   #2
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 09:29
they also go on top of mountains and such, i think these are all alpha graphics and will be fixed because they look just plain bad now, it looks like mc escher where complet++++flat level roads without changing vertical direction are suddenly at the mountains half-way point and encircle it like a halo and then back again onto complet++++flat grassland

im sure this will eb fized because it loks so damn bad that they couldn't put it in the game and expect it to be tolerated
Old September 16, 2001, 15:36   #3
java4me
Warlord

Local Time: 05:29
They have probably tweaked that, since those screenshots are pretty old!!!
Old September 16, 2001, 16:46   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:29
But, if the roads go through the forests, they will be hard to see unless they are flourescent or somthing such as that?
Old September 16, 2001, 16:51   #5
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 07:29
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
But, if the roads go through the forests, they will be hard to see unless they are flourescent or somthing such as that?
You would still be able to see the roads going into the forest -- that would distinuish forests with roads from forests without roads. But the roads over forest just looks dumb. I always avoided putting roads on forests for this reason.
Old September 16, 2001, 18:02   #6
saracen31
Warlord

I think all the roads look pretty bad overall, and they're confusing-looking to boot. Hopefully they've been cleaned up in the beta.
Old September 16, 2001, 18:03   #7
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Yeah, the roads are pretty poor looking, but it really showed on forests... and on mountains, but they fixed them mountains.
Old September 16, 2001, 18:57   #8
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

...which establishes a good precedent for Firaxis, that they fix those graphics bugs. They will probably change the way they look on forests by the time it will be released.

Well, I hope...
Old September 16, 2001, 20:00   #9
SerapisIV
King

Well,being that we've seen several of the screens that are being debated well before Civ3.com went live, it's a safe assumption that they are old. If you want to debate road appearances, use the newest screenshots, not old pre-beta screenshots. (assuming you guys are talking about the "new" screenshots on the board, they're not. If you are talking about theCiv3.com screenshots, then ignore my post)

Last edited by SerapisIV; September 16, 2001 at 20:07.
Old September 16, 2001, 20:16   #10
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:29
Judging by the latest screenshots, the terrain graphics have been improved quite a bit, but I still get this feeling like they're trying to depict a very dry civilization. I'm not seeing much lushness. Also, I can't tell exactly how big the tiles are, they all merge together and can be a bit confusing (except when you've got the single mountain sticking out ). At least you can read the names of the cities now. All I ask, however, is that you make it so that a city's name can be as long as Tierra Del Fuego.

Been playing a lot of the original civ (which sounds far too much like original sin) and I'm wondering exactly where are the prairies with the shield in them? Have you gotten rid of the shield? I want my shield!
Albert Speer
Old September 16, 2001, 21:25   #11
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 14:29
Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
At least you can read the names of the cities now. All I ask, however, is that you make it so that a city's name can be as long as Tierra Del Fuego.
Yes, Civ 2 couldn't handle anything much larger than Dnepropetrovsk. Although I rarely use such long names in my own empire, I would have liked to use them when renaming enemy cities with spies (a little-known but fun cheat) to thinks like "The Aztecs Are A Bunch Of No-Balled Bastards." I had to settle for shorter and blander insults. I once named all the Spanish cities in the WW2 scenario to "Spain Sucks."

Quote:
Been playing a lot of the original civ (which sounds far too much like original sin) and I'm wondering exactly where are the prairies with the shield in them? Have you gotten rid of the shield? I want my shield!
I never really "got" the shield concept. I personally have *NEVER* been walking through a meadow and tripped on a shield. I spent 3 months playing Civ 2 wondering why all those shields were there.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old September 16, 2001, 23:21   #12
saracen31
Warlord

It does seem like a very dry or faded color set. Doesn't seem like a lush civilization at all. And the roads are confusing: since several roads can meet in one square, it's pretty weird-looking to me - and why are the roads so round??
Old September 17, 2001, 03:12   #13
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
The shield is still there, but they've changed and extended the way it works. The lands now have spots on them that reveals what resources it provides. Each green spot is 1 food, and each white spot is 1 production.
Old September 17, 2001, 03:55   #14
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 14:29
Quote:
Originally posted by saracen31
It does seem like a very dry or faded color set. Doesn't seem like a lush civilization at all. And the roads are confusing: since several roads can meet in one square, it's pretty weird-looking to me - and why are the roads so round??
I prefer to think of that as an agreeably sober graphics style. I'll pass on the candy-colored child's eye-grabbing type of graphics, thanks. :P
Old September 17, 2001, 21:36   #15
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 05:29
Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
it looks like mc escher where complet++++flat level roads without changing vertical direction are suddenly at the mountains half-way point and encircle it like a halo and then back again onto complet++++flat grassland
LOL
I agree. Though these are significant improvements over ealier screenshots, you'd think that the raods could go through the forests and mountains instead of ON TOP of them. I'd also like to see less roads in general, they make the map look messy and confusing.

On a side graphics note... I'd prefer a darker blue for the shallows and irrigation that looks less swampy. OK, enough grumbling....