Old September 17, 2001, 14:46   #1
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 13:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis, give the public what they want!!
I don't think many people are satisfied with the current leaders. Here are some alterations which I think are suitable...

England/Britain - Winston Churchill instead of Elizabeth I. He is much more widely recognised as a great leader by the British.

Russia - Joseph Stalin instead of Cat the great. C'mon, he was the leader in Civ1. Well, if you won't include him as he isn't PC, then at least have Lenin.

France - Napolean Who wants Joan of bloody Arc? Napolean is much more famous...

Germany - Adolf Hitler OK, REALLY not PC, but when you hear the words 'German leader' who do you think of? I rest my case...

Greece - Alexander NOT THE WUSSY BLOKE IN THE PIC. Firaxis are being un-PC here as he was supposed to be gay so they haven't made him macho anymore...

The rest are OK, but it seems many countries were given rubbishy leaders because Firaxis wanted to make about half the leaders women for PC reasons, but in reality the great leaders were mainly men. Plus, it is mostly men who play civ games and who wants to play as a woman?
Old September 17, 2001, 14:59   #2
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 08:30
.....exactly.. excpet maybe for hitler, then again he is the most famous but its too un-pc....
Old September 17, 2001, 15:27   #3
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:30
Elizabeth isn't that bad of a leader and Hitler will NOT be in the game.

Here's what I would like to see for each nation:

The Babylonians - ???
The Chinese - Confucious (he may not have been a leader but he was very inspirational, sorry if I mispelled his name)
The Egyptians - Ramsess III
The Greeks - Alexander the Great
The Persians - Xerxes
The Americans - Franklin Roosevelt
The Aztecs - ???
The English - Winston Churchill or Elizabeth I (take your pick)
The French - Napleon or Louis XVI (again take your pick)
The Germans - ???
The Iroquois - ???
The Japanese - ???
The Romans - Julius Caesar
The Russians - Joeseph Stalin
The Zulus - ???

All the ones with question marks are Civs that I don't have much knowledge on their leaders or for some reason I just can't remember some of their great leaders.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 17, 2001, 16:19   #4
Transcend
Prince

Local Time: 06:30
Cyrus the Great should be the best leader for Persia.

Napoleon is more suitable the Jean D'Arc as the French leader.

Alexander should not look like one degenerated Roman senator.

Zulu has only one great leader: Shaka.

Germans had 2 Fredericks: Barbarossa, the Great

As for Russia, even Peter the Great was a better choice the Catherine the Nymphomaniac.
Old September 17, 2001, 16:48   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Napoleon- French Leader ... Yes,

Joan of Arc- NO: she was never the Queen of France
Old September 17, 2001, 17:02   #6
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:30
The Babylonians - Either Hammurabi or Nebuchadnezzar.
The Chinese - Zhu Yuan-Zhang or Shih Huang-ti.
The Egyptians - Ramesses III.
The Greeks - Pericles, Solon, Aristotle, or Menelaus (yeah, I know Menelaus probably never lived...)
The Persians - Xerxes or Cyrus the Great.
The Americans - Well, you could get into a mighty debate over this one. I'd go with FDR or TR.
The Aztecs - Montezuma.
The English - Winston Churchill or Elizabeth I.
The French - Napoleon.
The Germans - Frederick Barbarossa or Kaiser Wilhelm II. (Maria Theresa was actually Prussian.)
The Iroquois - Tecumseh.
The Japanese - Tokugawa, Yamato, Isoroku Yamamoto... At the risk of sounding un-PC, I'd recommend Hideki Tojo. (Yes, that Hideki Tojo.)
The Romans - Marcus Aurelius, Hadrian, Julius Caesar, Scipio...
The Russians - Lots of good examples. Peter the Great, Michael Romanov, Ivan IV, Vlad Lenin, Andrei Sakharov...
The Zulus - Shaka Zulu.
Old September 17, 2001, 17:32   #7
civcop
Chieftain

Iroquois
Tecumseh was not of the Iroquois. He was a Shawnee and they were displaced by the Iroquois (and treaties), but were not part of the Iroquois nation. Hiawatha is probably the best-known Iroquois leader. Ely Parker is another.

As for Hitler, he was just too evil to be used in a mere game. There are other German leaders to choose from. Yes, the vast majority think immediately of Hitler when you mention the topic of German leaders, but I'd leave him out. Stalin was also quite evil. Just my two cents worth.
Old September 17, 2001, 17:48   #8
Christantine The Great
Prince

I doubt that they are suddenly going to go back and make a 3D model from scratch when they already said that they aren't adding anymore but polishing the game. So you are stuck with the leaders they deemed appropriate.

Adolph Hitler? I doubt that's what a German thinks of when someone asks him/her to name a leader of Germany...
Old September 17, 2001, 18:32   #9
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:30
Re: Firaxis, give the public what they want!!
Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
I don't think many people are satisfied with the current leaders. Here are some alterations which I think are suitable...

England/Britain - Winston Churchill instead of Elizabeth I. He is much more widely recognised as a great leader by the British.

Russia - Joseph Stalin instead of Cat the great. C'mon, he was the leader in Civ1. Well, if you won't include him as he isn't PC, then at least have Lenin.

France - Napolean Who wants Joan of bloody Arc? Napolean is much more famous...

Germany - Adolf Hitler OK, REALLY not PC, but when you hear the words 'German leader' who do you think of? I rest my case...

Greece - Alexander NOT THE WUSSY BLOKE IN THE PIC. Firaxis are being un-PC here as he was supposed to be gay so they haven't made him macho anymore...

The rest are OK, but it seems many countries were given rubbishy leaders because Firaxis wanted to make about half the leaders women for PC reasons, but in reality the great leaders were mainly men. Plus, it is mostly men who play civ games and who wants to play as a woman?
Looks like you prefer men to women...DOH!
Old September 17, 2001, 18:42   #10
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 09:30
i think bismarck should be german leader, ndai
he was a wonderful leader who unified germany, and then made it a world power. thanks to his excellant ideas and projects (modern military officers academy, modern RR system, etc.)
Old September 17, 2001, 18:54   #11
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 05:30
All the leaders from Europe can't be modern. It wouldn't be right. Thats why they chose Joan of Arc, and Cathy. Im surprised they chose Bismark tho.
Old September 17, 2001, 20:28   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i would honestly prefer Hitler over Bismark.

i know both of their histories and accomplishments, and without meandering into the evil genocide, Hitler did more for Germany.
Old September 17, 2001, 20:30   #13
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

The Americans - Franklin Roosevelt
I don't want that commie SOB running MY nation.

Hrumph.

Ronald Reagan!!! Thomas Jefferson!!!

-Alex

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old September 17, 2001, 22:23   #14
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

The only ones I'd change in Civ 3:

Persia: Cyrus the Great
France: Napoleon
China: anyone besides Mao Tse-Tung
Old September 17, 2001, 22:41   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Reagan.
Old September 18, 2001, 02:15   #16
Mister Pleasant

American Leader? James Madison.
He designed the constitution.

Or even MLK? Why not? He may not have been president but he got a whole lot more done than most.

Jefferson wanted a nation of yeoman farmers. Idiot.

FDR? Concentration camps. Say no more.

Reagan? Uh, why exactly? Is the 'World's Biggest Deficit' going to be a wonder or something? (save him for a cold war scenario)

As for Joan of Arc - give me a break. The Frenchies have to have Napoleon.

Old September 18, 2001, 06:15   #17
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i will need to defend bismarck. what i want to say is that he made germany a modern power and kicked the sh** out of france. also, i dont think anyone could say that hitler did more for germany than bismarck. hitler mass-murdered 6m jews, gypsys and catholic preists. one of the things that most disgusted americans liberating death camps was bins upon bins full of baby shoes. NOT ONLY DID HITLER CAUSE, SUPPORT AND GLORICIZE THE HOLOCAUST, BUT LOOK WHAT HE DID TO GERMANY ITSELF. IT WENT INTO WWII A SUPERPOWER AND CAME OUT A POOR, BOMBED OUT COUNTRY WITH A GENERATION OF MEN GONE. AFTER WWII IT WAS, OR WEST GERMANY WAS DEPENDANT ON THE US MARSHALL PLAN

unlike in hitlers germany, in bismarcks

Quote:
The German state was not a despotism, and the German citizen was not terrorized.
Quote:
In nineteenth-century European history only Napoleon can be compared with Bismark as an influential and successful political personality. Bismarck gave political meaning to the idea of being German, and he created a prosperous and respected German state. In 1849 a German historian had written that "the power or weakness of Germany determines the fate of Europe." Bismarck's Germany was an important factor in the international stability that characterized Europe during the last quarter of the nineteenth century.
Some useful sites:

A printed lecture on Bismarck’s reign:
http://mars.wnec.edu/~grempel/course...2bismarck.html

A text exercise on Bismarck:
http://hkuhist2.hku.hk/firstyear/Share/shareE14.html

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/~hs_s134/bislechnd1.htm

Last edited by jdd2007; September 18, 2001 at 06:26.
Old September 18, 2001, 08:23   #18
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Pleasant
American Leader? James Madison.
He designed the constitution.

Or even MLK? Why not? He may not have been president but he got a whole lot more done than most.

Jefferson wanted a nation of yeoman farmers. Idiot.

FDR? Concentration camps. Say no more.

Reagan? Uh, why exactly? Is the 'World's Biggest Deficit' going to be a wonder or something? (save him for a cold war scenario)

As for Joan of Arc - give me a break. The Frenchies have to have Napoleon.
I could deal with James Madison, except he's not nearly as famous as the other guys. I doubt any non-Americans (or even many Americans unfortunatly) would have heard of him. So his best bud, Jefferson would be a better pick. Same ideology, same connections to the founding documents of this nation.

I could deal with MLK, but he was never a president so I don't think he'd count. Neither was Joan of Arc, so that decision baffles me.

Heck, if we want a non-president lets go for Barry Goldwater!! Yea!!! Hehehe.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old September 18, 2001, 08:27   #19
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 14:30
Quote:
All the leaders from Europe can't be modern. It wouldn't be right. Thats why they chose Joan of Arc, and Cathy. Im surprised they chose Bismark tho.
ok, they don't need to be all modern, but you can choose other medieval/renaissance leaders than these two. Louis XIV for France and Peter the Great for Russia seem far better to me...
Old September 18, 2001, 09:13   #20
civcop
Chieftain

Ha!
jdd said:
"i will need to defend bismarck. what i want to say is that he made germany a modern power and kicked the sh** out of france."

Pretty much everyone has kicked the crap out of France at one point or another. Belgium too.

Mr. Pleasant (if that *is* your real name ), no fan of Reagan are you! We differ greatly on that, but I would say that he would not be a good choice as an American civ leader. He is recent and (because of that) there are still many who think (wrongly) that he was a lousy President. You also raise a good point about FDR. Personally, I'd pick Washington and Lincoln. As has been raised before in these forums, America has never had a female leader and there are really no candidates for the position in civ 3. Eleanor Roosevelt? Please! Her biggest contribution in civ 2 was being the ugliest leader in the game.

Ozzy, we apparently share political ideologies. Install Goldwater and you would have low corruption levels and be the first civ to develop nukes You can always add him to your game anyhow. Maybe you could create a conservative modpack with Goldwater and Reagan as leader choices for the USA.
Old September 18, 2001, 13:00   #21
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Quote:
Pretty much everyone has kicked the crap out of France at one point or another. Belgium too.
hahahahaha. u got me there, but still ...
Old September 18, 2001, 14:22   #22
Arent
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:30
There is a screenshot of Bismarck so he will be leader.

Uberkrux, perhaps Hitler is the *only* german leader you can think of ?
Catherine the Great as well as Bismarck simply were great statesmen
who - through diplomacy, war and clever economical management turned the tides
in favor of their country. The odds were against them
But I have no objections - if you want to play Hitler simply edit... *grin* - you know.
Hitler doesn't fit the scientific attribute but that's my own humble opinion.

Arent
Old September 18, 2001, 14:55   #23
The diplomat
King

Isn't it too late now for Firaxis to change this? The arts people would have to do brand new leader art.

Perhaps, for an expansion pack!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old September 18, 2001, 15:31   #24
d_dudy
Prince

is this beat up france day? hasn't there been enough of that?
Old September 18, 2001, 18:10   #25
jdd2007
NationStates
King

no
Old September 18, 2001, 18:11   #26
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Chinese- Chu Yuanchang... Not Zhu Yuhanzhang or Zhu Yuanchang... I am lead to believe that Chu is the true name of Yuanchang, at least according to the "Compact World History" book

...corrections ...corrections

Thomas Jefferson- American Leader
President, Author, Intelligent Man
Old September 18, 2001, 19:28   #27
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Chinese- Chu Yuanchang... Not Zhu Yuhanzhang or Zhu Yuanchang... I am lead to believe that Chu is the true name of Yuanchang, at least according to the "Compact World History" book
Actually, since the Chinese use characters instead of letters, both spellings are probably correct. Just like Zhou and Chow are translations of the same character.

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Thomas Jefferson- American Leader
President, Author, Intelligent Man
...and don't forget slave holder.
Old September 19, 2001, 14:35   #28
Edward
Warlord

Re: Firaxis, give the public what they want!!
Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
Perhaps they chose female leaders because mostly men play civ games.
Old September 19, 2001, 15:22   #29
red_jon
NationStates
King

Re: Re: Firaxis, give the public what they want!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward

Perhaps they chose female leaders because mostly men play civ games.

Is that why they made Elizabeth, Catherine, etc so attractive?
Old September 19, 2001, 15:32   #30
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

George Washington and Lincoln were excellent American leaders. Personally, I want Cleveland or Teddy Rosevelt, two of the best American leaders, and not as well known. They should rule!

Also, Hitler shouldn't be leader of Germany. Scaring away their greatest minds, starting a disasterous war, insane, and ultimatly losing a good chunk of land in peace treaty.

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!