Old September 17, 2001, 18:21   #1
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 05:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Minor Wonder- OPEC
I know its a little late for these suggestions, but I think that there should be a minor wonder called OPEC.

You must control at least 5 (or more depending) oil resources to build this wonder. All civs with OPEC are immediatly allied to each other. Decisions to sell oil to another country must be taken unanimously to be passed. This would work like the UN Council. You could cut down on the amount of oil, or increase it. There would then be arguments over who should cut down on the oil selling (and also hurt their imports) and who shouldn't. This could then lead some other OPEC countries to bribe or promise more trade or aid to make them cut down.
Old September 17, 2001, 18:40   #2
isaac brock
Warlord

Local Time: 08:31
interesting. but a little complex for a minor wonder, don't you think? Also, if you have five oil resources, you don't really need a trading coalition or whatever. thats 4 oil resources you could be trading with other civs. also, it seems like its pretty messed up to have them be important enough to have their own coalition. why aren't iron producing civs important enough to have a wonder? Stop playing favourites with oil makers!
Old September 17, 2001, 18:44   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:31
I don't really think this is necessary; if you have enough oil, you can run your own private OPEC, denying oil to those who want it while selling to your allies.
Old September 17, 2001, 18:51   #4
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Well, todays OPEC countries have a lot of oil and they have their own organisation.

It would be like all of the weak civs who dont have anything but oil would ban together and help each other,

Quote:
why aren't iron producing civs important enough to have a wonder
I think that there is so much Iron today, that you can find it almost anywhere. Oil however, is frequently found in semi-arid to arid areas on land, or in the ocean. Not sure how these deposits pool in certain place tho. but most countries dont have a lot of oil, if any.
Old September 17, 2001, 19:09   #5
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:31
Actually this sounds like it would be a neat game or scenario on its own...
Old September 17, 2001, 20:18   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

bah. i'm sure the AI will realize if it controls all the oil, and those civs will PROBABLY band together against a human threat, that is if the AI is worth sh1t.
Old September 17, 2001, 20:20   #7
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Maybe not if they don't start near any oil
Old September 17, 2001, 21:30   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:31
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
bah. i'm sure the AI will realize if it controls all the oil, and those civs will PROBABLY band together against a human threat, that is if the AI is worth sh1t.
That would be cheating, ain't it? Which results in you at least picketing outside Firaxis' office, right?
Old September 17, 2001, 22:39   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

thats not cheating, thats great.

if the AI realized that the human has no oil of its own the oil-laiden civs should band together if the human becomes agrressive.
Old September 17, 2001, 23:06   #10
Guildenstern
Settler

Local Time: 13:31
I think the extensive trading system - coupled with the supposedly in-depth diplomatic model could make for a similar system without there having to be a minor wonder title attached.
Old September 18, 2001, 02:10   #11
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by isaac brock
why aren't iron producing civs important enough to have a wonder?
Iron-producing civs DO have access to a wonder. There is a minor wonder called "Ironworks" that can be built in any city that has both Iron and Coal in its radius.
Old September 18, 2001, 02:54   #12
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 14:31
I think the concept of Wonders is fading here. A wonder should be a great achievement, an impressive feat. With some good will, the UN could be counted alongside the Pyramids, but a simple trade goods monopoly shouldn't.

I wonder (pun intended) whether the sudden abundance of Wonders, also due to the heap of minor wonders, will not result in a whole new approach to city-building and consequently to the game itself. I just hope it maintains enough balance!
Old September 18, 2001, 09:16   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse

Iron-producing civs DO have access to a wonder. There is a minor wonder called "Ironworks" that can be built in any city that has both Iron and Coal in its radius.
how do you know ironworks isn't just a building required to make steel or something?

(im not good at chemistry... but once you get Metallugury shouldn't you be able to make alloys?)

and has there been STEEL confirmed on the map? i haven;t seen any.

sure there is bronze deposits... but maybe Iron never goes away and you just make stuff with it.

Iron + Coal = ?
Old September 18, 2001, 13:04   #14
isaac brock
Warlord

I agree with Grim Legacy. OPEC isn't a wonder. It's just a bunch of *******s who never learned to share. And what I meant by iron producing nations without a wonder was that by this OPEC logic, everybody trading the same resources with another civ should have a wonder that allies them together. This would just be too complicated. Why should I have to ally with another civ just because they have oil? Should opec disband if i wage war with that oil producing civ? then what do you do if no one else builds an opec? its like buying the first videophone, why would anyone in their right minds do it?
Old September 18, 2001, 13:09   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

you shouldn't, and you wont have to ally.
Old September 18, 2001, 13:14   #16
isaac brock
Warlord

Well maybe you don't have to ally, but how can you possibly stay in OPEC if you're attacking another member? I don't like the idea, but if someone does, pop a few ritalins. If you still like the idea, theres no saving us...
Old September 18, 2001, 16:09   #17
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:31
ideas like this are becoming endless
Old September 18, 2001, 17:48   #18
Your.Master
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:31
Who says that Oil will always be rarer than Iron?

I think that on a random map, there should occasionally be a different resource problem. Maybe your world has lasted an extra couple of billion years before sentient life evolves, so you have tons more oil but the world's iron has been more evenly and thinly distributed by plant life?

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.