Old September 18, 2001, 08:45   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
RP2 (second Roleplaying game) - 2 players wanted
From the revived RP1 thread the following have expressed interest in playing in a second game:

Hydro
Qantaga
SITS
Christmann - Hive
Scipio Centaurus - Morgan

So 2 more players are needed.

(Dilithium Dad - if you would like to play in this one I'd be happy to CMN it)

The original thread for the revived RP1 is:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=26755

Googlie
Old September 18, 2001, 10:00   #2
Qantaga
King

Local Time: 08:32
I am pleased to see that this second game is close to inception.

I just saw that SITS requested the Gaians on the other thread.

I will be happy to take whichever faction is left over after all other factions have been chosen.

Just one note: You may wish to visit the thread Googlie has linked above before signing up for this game. We are looking for players to truly role-play their faction personalities and agendas "to the hilt" (as Googlie says). The focus on this game will be playing as opposed to winning .

Last edited by Qantaga; September 18, 2001 at 10:10.
Old September 18, 2001, 10:18   #3
Christmann
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:32
Quote:
Just one note: You may wish to visit the thread Googlie has linked above before signing up for this game. We are looking for players to truly role-play their faction personalities and agendas "to the hilt" (as Googlie says). The focus on this game will be playing as opposed to winning .
Affirmative.

Last edited by Christmann; September 18, 2001 at 10:26.
Old September 18, 2001, 10:33   #4
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Anyone notice an error in my Agenda/Aversions post? The UoP’s aversion is fundi, not wealth. Oops. This doesn’t change my faction aversion/no pact matrix, though.

Rules: I’d suggest using Tau Ceti’s rules that Qantaga kindly posted, but leaving the following legal: reverse engineering (except probe to rover), DW upgrades, and stockpile insert after military unit. OK? No? Chime in if you have an opinion.

RP Games (to keep the terminology straight – one of the great joys in life is nitpicking, after all…)

* RP1 is likely dead.

* RP2 is full and will hopefully start in the near future (see Googlie’s post near the beginning of the other thread).

* RP3 is filling up:
Gaians - SITS
Hive – Christmann
Morgan – Scipio Centaurus
Qantaga?
Others?

Christman – if you are Hive you may not have a pact with a faction running democracy since this is your aversion. You could have a treaty with them, unless they are the PKs, in which case you could only have truce. If you have a pact and then that faction goes democratic then you must downgrade from a pact to a lesser diplomatic state (e.g. – treaty, truce, or war).

Hydro
Old September 18, 2001, 10:46   #5
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

That sounds like great fun - I'd certainly be willing to take the PKs or the University if there is still an opening....
Old September 18, 2001, 11:00   #6
Christmann
Chieftain

Just for the record... What is reversed engineering and what are the benefits of having stockpile energy after units in the build queue?
Old September 18, 2001, 11:02   #7
Qantaga
King

mark13, welcome aboard!

Hydro, a question for you: In reading the other thread, it looks like Googlie and I both thought you were up for this game (RP3 by your correct identification of game names), in addition to the game already filled (RP2). However, I didn't see you list your own name in your last post. So, are you going to play in the newest game (RP3) or in just RP2?

If Hydro is in, we just need one more player. If not, we still need two players.

-------
Christmann, I am sure there are others much more qualified to give you an explanation of Reverse Engineering and Stockpile Energy, but I will give you a rather brief explanation:

Reverse Engineering means that you can design units using chassis, weapons, armor, special abilities once you have captured a unit or been gifted a unit by another faction without having to discover the technology that unlocks that design feature.

Stockpile Energy in this game is supposed to award Energy Credits for any unused mineral production after the completion of a turn. In reality, it is a bug in the game that awards the credits at the start of the turn. So, you can get quite a significant boost to your energy credit reserves by placing Stockpile Energy in the build queues following the production of a former, crawler or military unit.

Last edited by Qantaga; September 18, 2001 at 11:08.
Old September 18, 2001, 12:09   #8
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

I have experience role-playing the PK's so I would like to take that faction. Gaians would be second choice. Morgan is already taken, I see. I would have trouble role-playing the momentum factions.
Old September 18, 2001, 12:09   #9
Arima
Chieftain

I'd like to play as PK, University, or Gaia if there is an opening. (in that preference)
Old September 18, 2001, 15:24   #10
Hydro
King

Qantaga,

I don't want to be greedy, so if someone else wants in then I will bow out of RP3. I would be willing to fill in a hole (like Googlie in RP2), if there is one.

Here is how RP3 stands:
Gaians - SITS
Hive - Christmann
Morgan - Scipio Centaurus
UoP - Mark 13
PKs - DD
Qantaga - ??

Arima - it looks like your picks were taken. Would either the Spartan or Believers be OK? You get first dibs on either since you threw your hat into the ring. Qantaga said any faction is fine with him (I think).
Old September 18, 2001, 15:50   #11
Arima
Chieftain

I'll take Sparta then. Thank you.
Old September 18, 2001, 16:18   #12
Qantaga
King

Very good, then. It looks like we are all set. I am happy to try my hand at role-playing Sister Miriam and her enlightened followers.
Old September 18, 2001, 16:39   #13
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Enlightened? Hah! The path to true enlightenment is through knowledge - something your backward followers seem not to understand! Prepare to be crushed!!

Old September 18, 2001, 16:46   #14
Christmann
Chieftain

Ah yes!

Fight your petty little wars and when the time is right you'll all be assimilated by the mighty concrete-communistic Hive!!

Resistance is futi... wait a sec...!
Always shall your honor and your name and your fame endure.
Old September 18, 2001, 17:10   #15
Qantaga
King

Ah, the misguided beliefs and petty arrogance of those who cloister in their ivory towers and try to find solace in tomes of "knowledge".

You will find sooner or later that the one true path to fulfillment and peace is through faith and the wisdom that accompanies it. We hold only the desire that all citizens of Planet may one day have the scales fall from their eyes and realize that one's spiritual life can not be neglected.

We offer the olive branch, even in the face of hostile threats, and are willing to share the wisdom of the sacred path with all people. However, we will defend our beliefs should they prove threatened by the unenlightened.

-------
Yes indeed, this should be great fun!
Old September 18, 2001, 17:15   #16
Christmann
Chieftain

Hell, why would we even need playing smac when we got this thread right here.
Old September 18, 2001, 18:45   #17
Hydro
King

Why play SMAC for RP? Because it give you a backdrop and a situation for your faction to react to! This way you can grace us with your words of wisdom (or mindless mewings, depending on your point of view) as the game universe unfolds. That is why I was so enthralled by the idea of RP SMAC. Simple things like founding a new colony, popping a pod, or catching your first (or 15th) mindworm are all fodder for thought and, in my case, little short stories. After all, it is a new alien planet (er…Planet).

I hope the folks of RP3 will let us in on your play. I know I'd enjoy seeing the turns unfold through your eyes!

Hydro

P.S. - Incidentally, if there is interest in a RP4 then please say so. I know I wouldn't want anyone to be left out of the fun!
Old September 19, 2001, 01:41   #18
Christmann
Chieftain

Yeah, I was just kidding

So, shall we get started?

Last edited by Christmann; September 19, 2001 at 08:32.
Old September 19, 2001, 13:31   #19
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Okay

I didn't follow this thread the last two days while I was in Winnipeg, so as DiliDad is playing I'll CMN it and set it up with passwords, etc.

Will get the Gaians' turn out later this evening.

G.
Old September 19, 2001, 13:38   #20
Googlie
Emperor

SITS
Christmann
Arima

Can you send me an e-mail to:

linfrew@aol.com

so that I will have your e-mail addies on file?

Players are:

Gaians - SITS
Hive - Christmann
Morgan - Scipio Centaurus
UoP - Mark 13
PKs - Dilithium Dad
Spartans - Arima
Believers - Qantaga

G.
Old September 19, 2001, 13:40   #21
Qantaga
King

Excellent news, Googlie!

Since I am actively involved in two of your scenarios (Democracy in Peril and The Axis Awakens), I know we are in the hands of a Master!

I am looking forward to this game.
Old September 19, 2001, 14:05   #22
SITS
King

Before you set forth on Planet you need to know yourself. That is the knowledge you seek, the power that you wish, the faith that you hold dear, the money that shall make you rich and the skills that will hold the peoples together. Without that you will find Planet to be a hostile place to your ignorance.

I've sent an email to Googlie.

One question - who do we consult if we are unsure about our factions actions? (rhymes!) For instance is it OK for the Gaians to build boreholes?
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 19, 2001, 14:34   #23
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Fantastic, G - hopefully we'll be able to get a decent turn rate to this game (though they aren't always forthcoming in 7-player games, admittedly)

Provost Mark opened his eyes. Slowly, slowly - not to tire his considerably weakened frame, he climbed out of his cryobed, and strolled toward the window.

He had not reckoned upon such a beautiful sight. The crisp red of the xenofungus, perfectly complemented by the deep, lush greenery that surrounded it. Yet the Provost showed no visible emotion - instead he strode toward his desk, oblivious to the surrounding mayhem. Frequent clunks of metal could be heard in the surrounding chambers, and voices raised high, clearly in a state of panic - but Mark remained calm. He knew his actions over the forthcoming days would determine his faction's future on Planetsurface. At last count, he had 20,000 seemingly loyal followers, and it was his aim, through unfettered research, to see that they were safe and well.

Yet the beauty of the scene on Planet would stay imprinted in his mind forever. This was his new home - of course, descending onto the planetsurface he saw his destiny as nothing more than a series of algorithms. But seeing Planet for the first time like that had....well, almost taken him by surprise. It caught him unawares on a much deeper level than he was used to...yet he felt strangely comforted by it.
Old September 19, 2001, 18:56   #24
Googlie
Emperor

Hmmmm, M. How prescient.

:: Chuckles inwardly::

G.

(Yes, the map is done and the factions placed)
Old September 19, 2001, 21:49   #25
Googlie
Emperor

RP3 is underway

2101 has been sent to SITS
passwords have been (will be) e-mailed to all

Turn thread is here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=27149

Good luck all

G.
Old September 20, 2001, 04:38   #26
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Bah! Well, it was late....

...or that's my excuse anyway
Old September 20, 2001, 06:14   #27
Googlie
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SITS

One question - who do we consult if we are unsure about our factions actions? (rhymes!) For instance is it OK for the Gaians to build boreholes?
The protocol that we'd established for the demised RP1 was that you would have to justify in a post a deviation from your preferred agenda, and have the fellow players 'vote' whether the rationale was convincing.

As to the Gaians building boreholes, I don't see why not. It's FM they are opposed to, not minerals and energy production. I could see Dee preaching efficiency here:

Let us not despise Planet's gifts to us, but rather maximize them. But in a way that does not hurt Planet. In lieu of strewing the landscape with mines and solar collectors let us dig deep and tap beneath the mantle itself, that disruption to the native surface life may be minimized while we enjoy Planet's gifts to us. But for every base that builds a borehole, let that base also build a tree farm (hybrid forest/centauri preserve, etc) to help in nurturing Planet

I'd see that as being in character.

Googlie
Old September 20, 2001, 06:17   #28
SITS
King

Right - so it is how much you can bullsh*t then?

Fair enough!

'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna