View Poll Results: So, who gets the... honor?
George Washington. 21 24.71%
Thomas Jefferson. 6 7.06%
Abraham Lincoln. 25 29.41%
Theodore Roosevelt. 3 3.53%
Franklin Roosevelt. 18 21.18%
Ronald Reagan. 3 3.53%
Someone other. 9 10.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 18, 2001, 13:31   #1
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Who, once and for all, do you think American leader should be?
This subject always raises a debate which, then, eventually becomes one about whether Reagan won the cold war or not and whether Reagan caused a deficit or not, so I thought a poll would be a nice way to solve this all. I included the ones most suggested as a leader.

My personal opinion: Abraham Lincoln or George Washington. Those are the ones us poor Europeans will most likely recognize (apart from Reagan, and lot of us have pretty negative image about him, and choosing him would cause so much eye-rolling this side of the pond that we'd go permanently blind and would become unable to play any more.) I voted for Abe, just for the sake of him being leader in Civ1 and Civ2.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old September 18, 2001, 14:19   #2
YefeiPi
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:33
ME!

Actually, I would vote for the American guy who flew a kite and almost got zapped by lightning, Franklin something
Old September 18, 2001, 15:39   #3
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:33
what have you got against reagen? don't like that he helped keep your continent safe?

i picked abe, widely considered the greatest president because of what he had to deal with. gw (hehe) is a close 2nd, being the precedent for all presidents, but he'll be an easy great leader.
Old September 18, 2001, 16:09   #4
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 14:33
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Why, Elvis of course
Old September 18, 2001, 16:38   #5
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:33
George W. Bush!

That way any typos can be attributed to representing how the American leader speaks
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 18, 2001, 16:40   #6
Gangerolf
Prince

Johnny Cash.
Old September 18, 2001, 16:56   #7
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 13:33
BILL GATES
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	billgates.gif
Views:	316
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	2789  
Old September 18, 2001, 18:01   #8
joseph1944

1. A. Lincoln, Save the Union
2. G. Washington, Could have been a King or Emperor but said no I will be a President only and only for 4 years.
3. FDR 3. JFK FDR new the war was coming had to do something to get us ready.
4. JFK 4. FDR, JFK Made the Communist brink first.
5. T. Roosevelt, World affairs, Walk softly but carry a big stick.
Dead last W.J. Clinton, Don't really know where to start. To many ladies.

Last edited by ; September 18, 2001 at 18:11.

Old September 18, 2001, 18:18   #9
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 09:33
i think fdr did a great job, linclon kept the country together but washington won the american revolution singlehandedly ( ) and became our first president
Old September 18, 2001, 19:02   #10
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Jessica Simpson
Old September 18, 2001, 19:03   #11
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:33
Stefu Kantaloopi!
Old September 19, 2001, 12:39   #12
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:33
Lincoln, Hands Down. He saved our nation at our most critical juncture. People snipe and revise history and try to smear him, but he was savior of America. I don't think Stephen Douglas could have done the job half as well. I would venture a statement that Lincoln's impact on the world is greater than any other American.

After that, I think FDR would come next, as his domestic policies shape the America I live in today. He certainly had more influence than any other president of the 20th Century.

Washington is not even in my top 5 of American presidents. He was really a mediocre statesman (and general), but I guess he was in the right place at the right time and had the charisma to get the job done.

Jefferson would be high on the list, maybe after FDR, but would also have to include Monroe (who still influences American foreign policy) and Wilson.

Reagan? Too soon to tell, but given my personal revulsion at his far-right ideology and his lasting negative economic impact, I can't put him in the top ten. His strong foreign policy guidance is his saving grace, I suppose.

I think they should allow Vice Presidents to come and do minor negotiations or state visits. That way we can all watch Al Gore sigh and roll his eyes (Love ya, Al!)

BG
Old September 19, 2001, 16:56   #13
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:33
Teddy Roosevelt, for putting America on the track to becoming a superpower. That, and the whole progressivism thing, which laid the foundations for the New Deal (25 years later). If not TR, then Lincoln. I shouldn't have to say why.

Reagan? Ditto for Clinton. Now, Nader or McCain on the other hand...
Old September 19, 2001, 17:51   #14
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
Now, McCain on the other hand...
McCain had my vote. Bush is doing OK on this issue, The Bombing. I live in Calif., so his engry poilcy not so good.

Old September 19, 2001, 19:39   #15
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I think Lincoln is probably the best choice, but does it have to be a President? Why not Martin Luther King, Jr., for example?
Old September 19, 2001, 20:43   #16
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
I think Lincoln is probably the best choice, but does it have to be a President? Why not Martin Luther King, Jr., for example?
Considering all the other civilizations use their great leaders, it would be inconsistend and odd to pick someone who never actually led the Americans as a leader. Don't get me wrong--I have unending admiration for MLK--but I think they should use only actual heads of state.

Which leads to their own inconsistencies, now that I think of it (ah, the dangers of speaking from one's own buttocks...). For instance, Joan of Arc. Certainly historically significant, but she was never the head of state of France. They could have picked another great French woman for the female ruler. Catherine de Medici? She at least held real political power.

Of course, this leads to problems in the U.S. as well. Will they still make Eleanor Roosevelt the female leader? Who is the Germans' female (Austria's Marie Theresa perhaps???)? Ohhh, the questions I have!
Old September 20, 2001, 01:46   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Easy choice for me:

Thomas Jefferson. Let us recognize, finally, what this man has meant to the United States. He may not have had more influence than Washington or led in as troubled times as Lincoln. However, his writing of the Declaration of Independence, his purchase of the Louisiana terrority during his Presidency, and his ideas of a weak federal government which won out over Hamiltonian ideas of strong federal government colored American attitudes, even today (even though we have a strong federal government these days).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 20, 2001, 10:53   #18
Mister Pleasant

OK, some leaders and reasons for choosing them. Note - one criteria I'm not using is former presidents (Joan of arc wasn't, so Firaxis seems to be using some criteria other than political leaders also).

(1) MLK - the guy fought for equality and rights, namely he fought to make American practice match American philosophy. (Right on Guynemer).

(2) Washington - did two extraordinary things. First, he stepped down after two terms, thus setting a precident that president is a temporary position (until FDR screwed things up that is). Second, he subitted to and obeyed the constitution. Sound simple but consider all of the dictators who started out ostensibly democratic but then did not obey their own constitution, like Peru's Fujimori. Washingon helped "embed" the constituion in the American psyche - truly creating a government of laws. If anyone doubts the importance of laws and constitutions being embedded - read this http://www.nyu.edu/pubs/jilp/main/issues/33/q.html

(3) Lincoln - ended slavery, and insured that the US became an industrial nation instead of clinging to the agricultural fantasies of both Thomas Jefferson and the Confederacy.

(4) James Madison - designed our constitution. Say no more.

(5) Alexander Hamilton - established many of the institutions (like a central banking system) that allowed the US to enter the industrial age.

(6) Ralph Nader - leading consumer/environmental advocate. Challenged the one-party-maquerading-as-a-two-party monopoly.

Bad choices

(1) FDR - concentration camps, staying on office too long.
(2) Reagan - big deficit
(3) Clinton - did this guy actually do anything?

Old September 20, 2001, 11:53   #19
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Pleasant
Just ask his intern...
Old September 20, 2001, 12:38   #20
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
OK, some leaders and reasons for choosing them. Note - one criteria I'm not using is former presidents (Joan of arc wasn't, so Firaxis seems to be using some criteria other than political leaders also).

Bad choices

(1) FDR - concentration camps, staying on office too long.
(2) Reagan - big deficit
I have to take issue with this because you are qualifying the leaders based on whether or not you thought they were "good" people and did good things. Considering the plethora of leaders (Stalin, Shaka, Napoleon, etc.) who were NOT nice guys and did some pretty awful things, I can't agree with using such things as qualifiers.

The criteria should be the impact, good or bad, such a leader had on their civilization and thus the world. Of course, good taste prevents last centuries' most influential political leader (Mr. Hitler) from being used, but then again, Stalin was perhaps as much an evil man.

In that regards, FDR is certainly the most influential president of the last century. His domestic policies, the New Deal, etc., were monumentally important in shaping America as it is today. THe Issei camps were a rather ignominious aspect of American history, but given the climate at the time following Pearl Harbor, I hardly think it compares to what was happening to the Jews in Europe as far as human rights violations go. As for his staying too long...hey, in 1940 war was imminent and the economic crisis was still a big thing. I bet Americans wanted the continuity, considering he had been very successful. I personally would like to give Clinton a third term, as did most voters by the time of last year's election (according to the polls, they would have picked Clinton over Bush almost 2-1).

Cheers.
Old September 20, 2001, 12:56   #21
Mister Pleasant

Boris Godunov:
I would have voted for Clinton over Gore and Bush, and I don't even like Clinton that much. I'm just saying he's not the guy to represent the US in the game because there are so many better choices. But who knows how these guys will look in 50 or so years.

FDR's camps weren't as bad as Hitler's, BUT I still think it makes him unworthy of the monument they are building for him (which does not even mention the camps). It was a mistake that was just too big. Lincoln may have suspended habeus corpus, but that got corrected right after the Civil War. Most of the Japanese Americans never recovered the full value of the assets that the government siezed from them. Only recently (1992 I think) did an act of congress give survivors a token reparation ($25,000 each I believe) and I think that act may have included some sort of really late apology. I might be more forgiving of FDR had the mistake been addressed immediately following the war (by Truman), but there you have it. Further, I think the US was headed in the New Deal direction anyway. Huey Long and a lot of other progressives were pushing for the same sorts of programs. I just find it hard to give credit to FDR for an historic inevitability while overlooking the camps which he could have stopped but failed to.

Old September 20, 2001, 13:26   #22
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Boris Godunov:
I would have voted for Clinton over Gore and Bush, and I don't even like Clinton that much. I'm just saying he's not the guy to represent the US in the game because there are so many better choices. But who knows how these guys will look in 50 or so years.

FDR's camps weren't as bad as Hitler's, BUT I still think it makes him unworthy of the monument they are building for him (which does not even mention the camps). It was a mistake that was just too big.
Fair enough on the Clinton thing. With any president post WWII, I think it is too soon to judge their lasting impact. Nixon was certainly, by most standards, a good president. He was just a rotten person!

As for FDR, will just have to disagree. I don't think many Native Americans will see Lincoln's administrations policies to them as being much better than the policy towards the Japanese, and those are wrongs we STILL haven't apologized for. I take the whole shebang, and I think overall FDR's administration did much more good for the country than bad. I don't take his reforms as inevitable...the Republicans were against them, and if they had the White House, they would not have gotten done. No great leader in times of domestic reform has just invented the ideas. They used their influence to implement ideas that already existed.

As for the camps...this will no doubt get me in hot water, but it's how I feel. I would have fully agreed with you until last week. Now I think I really understand the national mood after Pearl Harbor and the pure fear among the people. While the camps were irrational and certainly unconstitutional, I understand the sentiments that led to them, as much as I may disagree with them. But they were different times and America was dealing with something entirely new. Mistakes will be made in such cases. I think the important thing is that there are ongoing efforts now to right the wrongs of the past. I cannot, however, condemn FDR's entire presidency based on them. He did too much that was critical.

Cheers.
Old September 20, 2001, 13:46   #23
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

How come FDR was in the hotseat for so long, 13 years wasn't it? More if he hadn't died. When was the 2 term max rule brought in?

Anywho, my vote went to FDR as he is the President who was there the longest (?), and the one that I associate with the US demonstrating its global force for the first time.

Lincoln, Jefferson and Washington didn't really play much on the international stage (compared to FDR). After all it was FDR that really steered the USA out of isolationism.
Old September 20, 2001, 14:13   #24
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
How come FDR was in the hotseat for so long, 13 years wasn't it? More if he hadn't died. When was the 2 term max rule brought in?
There was not originally a term limit for the POTUS. The Republicans in Congress inacted the 22nd amendment because they were ticked off at FDR being prez for so long. The Dems went along with it because they didn't want to be seen as endorsing a "monarchal figure."

I would actually attribute the move out of isolationism more to Wilson than FDR. Or Wilson's wife, at least, since she was actually our first woman president after Wilson was debilitated by a stroke.

Cheers.

PS--I am opposed to the 22nd Amendment. I find it a violation of the Bill of Rights. Americans should be allowed to vote for who they want free of restrictions. That IS democracy, after all.
Old September 20, 2001, 14:16   #25
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
PS--I am opposed to the 22nd Amendment. I find it a violation of the Bill of Rights. Americans should be allowed to vote for who they want free of restrictions. That IS democracy, after all.
I do agree, but the only thing is in the UK it allowed Thatcher to be in power for as long!
Old September 21, 2001, 01:49   #26
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:33
Thatcher is cool. Be nice to her, RJ. She's an icon of Britain. I don't even know what Blair or Major look like...
Old September 21, 2001, 08:17   #27
Boris Godunov
Emperor

As much as I dislike Thatcher's policies, I give UK and her credit for some strong leadership. Would that the USA could get past its macho chauvinism and elect a woman president.
Old September 21, 2001, 11:02   #28
Dauphin
Deity

I would actually attribute the move out of isolationism more to Wilson than FDR. Or Wilson's wife, at least, since she was actually our first woman president after Wilson was debilitated by a stroke.

Whilst this is probably true, it is about perception. FDR is seen as the one that did the deed, even if Wilson did the prep work.

Similarly with the A-bomb. FDR set up the whole project and with the intention to use the bomb to shorten the war. However it was Truman who is asscoiated with ushering in the nuclear age as it came to fruiton on his watch.

The role of civ leader is that which is most synonymous with the civ that they are almost the embodiment.

I do agree, but the only thing is in the UK it allowed Thatcher to be in power for as long!

Thatcher was elected for a reason, the same reason Blair was elected - They weren't the leader of the unelectable party.

Of course, technically neither were elected PM, they just happened to be leader of the majority party.
Old September 21, 2001, 11:07   #29
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
As much as I dislike Thatcher's policies, I give UK and her credit for some strong leadership. Would that the USA could get past its macho chauvinism and elect a woman president.
Maggie was no women!

Between Maggie and Dennis Thatcher (her husband), everyone knew who wore the trousers (pants).
Old September 21, 2001, 12:24   #30
Oldenbarnevelt
Chieftain

My vote goes to this man.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm-zappa-flag.gif
Views:	159
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	2962